The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

A bloke at work had one like that. He always carried a spare belt after a few had snapped.

I let him off such a stupid car though as he's got a Griffith 500 at home.

Glad he has heeded the age old advice.

A TVR is only acceptable transport if you own another car... That's not another TVR.

Could apply to a lot of our tat.

Some pics.

Couldn't be arsed earlier as there is no heat coming from the air vents and I was cold. Needs investigation, a new heater matrix was supplied with the car so I'll chalk that up as the main suspect for now.

Paint needs attention, maybe cutting back will work as it seems a bit oxidised and wet/ scratching it with my fingernails takes the worst of it off.

Other things to list are sunroof is just wrong, driver's door latch is broken off, rev counter inop, as is fuel guage, headlining sagging (new one supplied) and it needs a clean.

Very pleased with it.

IMG_20181216_145834.jpg

IMG_20181216_145851.jpg

IMG_20181216_145907.jpg

And home.

IMG_20181216_170849.jpg

Drove down in the Cougar, haven't driven it for a while and it's definitely running rough, dropping a cylinder now and again, will have to look at it and see if it's worth bothering with or not. Been the best £100 car I've had so I will more than likely fix it.

That looks nice man. I've always wanted one of those but never had one. They're that rare now that I probably never will now. Hope it doesn't put up much of a fight when it comes to making improvements.

That looks nice man. I've always wanted one of those but never had one. They're that rare now that I probably never will now. Hope it doesn't put up much of a fight when it comes to making improvements.

I've had a few 205's and always wanted one of these, even when I had a 1.9 GTI.

It drives so well, tracks straight and true and gives me all of the good feels when I look at it.

I'm smitten.

Glad he has heeded the age old advice.

A TVR is only acceptable transport if you own another car... That's not another TVR.

Could apply to a lot of our tat.

He does IT support for GP surgeries, I can't see the TVR surviving long on some of the places he has to go too. Or getting covered cost wise by the mileage payments.

I've had a few 205's and always wanted one of these, even when I had a 1.9 GTI.

It drives so well, tracks straight and true and gives me all of the good feels when I look at it.

I'm smitten.

See, I do quite like 205's,and their sharp rise into worth some money land means I've probably missed the boat

Plus, the only experience of a 205 is wills, at shitefest 2015 on the hill run. I took it up there and will kept telling me to go faster when I thought I was taking the piss a bit..

So he drove me hack down! And fucking hell it was amazing/terrifying!

And any 205 I get into now just won't feel the same!

I just had a stupidly brilliant idea.

My mum has a ten year old Bini Cooper S. Depreciating obvs, but still worth a bit, and full of electrickery.

My mum is absolutely in love with my T5. 

Volvo 850 T5Rs are worth similar money to Cooper Ss, maybe slightly more. 

Do I try and convince her to get a T5R (would have to be auto), on the grounds they have the same performance, same fuel economy, and will increase in value rather than decrease?

My mum has a ten year old Bini Cooper S. Depreciating obvs, but still worth a bit, and full of electrickery.

Do I try and convince her to get a T5R (would have to be auto), on the grounds they have the same performance, same fuel economy, and will increase in value rather than decrease?

No.

Just no.

Never convince anyone in your family to do anything. Especially in relation to cars. When it goes wrong in 18 months you'll be the one to blame.

Mondy GLX is booked with the scrap man for 27th December. £150 agreed on by cheque, bit less that originally agreed because no battery on it.

I have taken off most of the new bits I added (including clear headlight reflectors, OEM heater resistor, ghia spec dome light, washer fluid connectors - £35 worth). Also taken boot carpet, rear ashtray - another £20). There's a few more things I need to nab without them getting stroppy (including a coolant overflow pipe - £20), but I'm really not bothered about a full strip down.

The Base can then go in the garage on SORN for Jan/Feb saving me £46 in VED.

So there's quarter of a bag toward the next heap of joy.

No, because a ten-year-old Bini Cooper S is clearly the car she wants!

Although personally I'd go for the ovloV every time.

Invariably whenever I advise friends on what cars to buy, they end up buying a VW Scirocco for some fucking reason. 

It's happened three times so far. 
To non-car people, Sciroccos are the coolest, sleekest things evar for some reason. 

I think they're ugly as sin: they have a pointy nose and a fat arse. 

I was talking to a lass at work last week, she's a "proper petrol head" and spends all her money on nice cars because she loves driving. She's currently at rock bottom because she's held onto a car for two years longer than normal due to buying a house, and might need to get a cambelt and service etc., but she still loves her car.

She's got a five year old diesel Scirocco she's thinking of trading in for a TT instead.

I was talking to a lass at work last week, she's a "proper petrol head" and spends all her money on nice cars because she loves driving. She's currently at rock bottom because she's held onto a car for two years longer than normal due to buying a house, and might need to get a cambelt and service etc., but she still loves her car.

She's got a five year old diesel Scirocco she's thinking of trading in for a TT instead.

Saying you love driving then spending all your money on a Scirocco is like being an audiophile and buying a BOSE stereo after being hoodwinked by their acoustically treated listening room. 

No as everyone else said.

But also cause auto T5Rs are horrid. The gaps in the ratios are too wide for the engine when booting it properly.