The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Some love for all three cars today:

214 - exhaust bodge (see project) then promptly FTP

Loser Cruiser - plumbed battery back in, have a solar charger on order which should help with the alarm/immobiliser drain which stuffs me every time I leave the car a week or so - should get here from Amazon tomorrow. Treated it to a run out - impeccable. When it runs well I revert back to liking it - is a comfy old thing. I'll use it as the commutawagon this week. Gave it a wash too

Streetshite - also got a wash

The other thing my neighbour told me was concerning Howard, who used to own the classic car parts place in Sipson ( collectors car parts )and moved to Thorpe industrial estate three years ago or so.

Well he was there for 29 months and paid one months rent. So got turfed out. So he moved all the stock from the warehouse to his home in egham. More precisely to th front and back gardens where it joined a 420jag, Austin Ruby’s and an Armstrong sidley Star sapphire.

Then earlier in the year he decided to have a tidy up and get rid of some of the cardboard boxes and branches from the garden. They were damp, so he threw some petrol on the bonfire.

WOOF is apparently not descriptive enough for the resulting blaze that took seven engines 15hours to put out. During which time the whole garden went, along with the star sapphire etc, plus the neighbours £800,000 four bedroomed log cabin.

He had let his insurance lapse too.

He was sued and wanted my friend to help him with the paperwork. The liability was over £1,000,000 not counting any costs or damages. He sensibly said no and get a lawyer. Howard decided to represent himself and the court case was ten days ago.

You’ll like this....it was thrown out on a technicality! I don’t know why, but it may appear in press sometime.

My friend knows one of the firemen from the tennis club in holyport ( real tennis not what they call fuzzy ball). The fireman said to stay away from people like him as they always survive but cause chaos around them- they recovered one oxyacetylene cylinder from the garden four houses along!

The other thing my neighbour told me was concerning Howard, who used to own the classic car parts place in Sipson ( collectors car parts )and moved to Thorpe industrial estate three years ago or so.

You’ll like this....it was thrown out on a technicality! I don’t know why, but it may appear in press sometime.

quote]

I used to love that place. I wanted to have a shop like that when I grew up.

Sounds a lucky bugger though!

Positives - 2bed flat with parking and 1 ( maybe two with a neighbourly arrangement) garages with power.

Negatives - no outdoor space at all, just communal shrubbery.

Cons - we could all be living in a post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland next year, in which case my armed security and steel gates could be useful where I am.

Are you plutocratic enough to afford a BTL mortgage and join wur ain Kiltox in the *evil Rachman rentier class? In which case you could do both.

205 STDT collected.

Gave £200 for it on account of rotten sill/sills.

He threw in a brand new sill and loads of other spares, so much stuff the car was basically free. Nice guy!

Drives really nicely and goes like the clappers.

Plenty of faults to fix but it has to join the que behind the Mercedes. And the moped.

Are you plutocratic enough to afford a BTL mortgage and join wur ain Kiltox in the *evil Rachman rentier class? In which case you could do both.

I make Jeremy Corbyn seem quite middle of the road. I will not be joining Nicholas van hoogstraten in the landlord stakes.

It’s not perfect, and so it’s just a pipe ( or two pints at lunchtime ) dream. There’s also the possibility of a market crash next year- although I’ve been hearing that since the 1990s and prices never seem to fall here.

Anyway, the one thing I’ve found today is that I could possibly* afford to buy in the south east. Not bad after 25years of working!

Met up at lunchtime for a pint with an old friend and neighbour. £4.29 ! a bottle for wainwright which was the most drinkable of the offerings my next door beefeater offered.

That's ridiculous! It pains me to pay over £3 for a pint. Draught ale is £1.90 a pint in the Red Lion... I'm enjoying it as much as possible.

They are like the eye of the storm - to all intents and purposes untouchable.Looks like this is the fella

That’s Howard yes. Very pleasant when I met him. But perhaps not totally realistic about the ongoing operation. I don’t know how my friend got involved - I suspect golf contacts, but he went in to assist with the website and advertising.

The Red Lion in Egham? Used to spend a lot of time there when I was a student. Great place.

Oddly enough, that cropped up in conversation today. Above mentioned Howard has a lockup ( makes him sound like arfur Dailey!) behind the pub stacked with parts.

That's ridiculous! It pains me to pay over £3 for a pint. Draught ale is £1.90 a pint in the Red Lion... I'm enjoying it as much as possible.

You’re not kidding. I couldn’t see anything I’d drink on tap ( John smiths smooth flow!! Stella and carlsberg, San Miguel, not even a Guinness or doom bar). Then saw some bottles behind the bar. 500ml, but still a bit of a Liberty.

That’s Howard yes. Very pleasant when I met him. But perhaps not totally realistic about the ongoing operation. I don’t know how my friend got involved - I suspect golf contacts, but he went in to assist with the website and advertising.

...and the rest, as they say, is hysterical.

Sniping tool lined up for a "4 seconds to go"  bid on something I really don't need and is partly broken. Cheap though...

Will be on the phone to me mum when auction ends, so the fear can come later.

Missed out quite spectacularly, thank goodness. Yes it was a Vauxhall Tigra B, 1.8 Sport, just because... Shoot me.

However, seems I had a narrow* (well £275 quid) escape as the seller was described thusly on eBay

Think this was a pikey. Tried to fob me off Buying car. Timewaster

Some pics.

Couldn't be arsed earlier as there is no heat coming from the air vents and I was cold. Needs investigation, a new heater matrix was supplied with the car so I'll chalk that up as the main suspect for now.

Paint needs attention, maybe cutting back will work as it seems a bit oxidised and wet/ scratching it with my fingernails takes the worst of it off.

Other things to list are sunroof is just wrong, driver's door latch is broken off, rev counter inop, as is fuel guage, headlining sagging (new one supplied) and it needs a clean.

Very pleased with it.

post-19867-0-41524800-1544989157_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-20374800-1544989274_thumb.jpg

post-19867-0-47139600-1544989479_thumb.jpg

And home.

post-19867-0-60370900-1544989621_thumb.jpg

Drove down in the Cougar, haven't driven it for a while and it's definitely running rough, dropping a cylinder now and again, will have to look at it and see if it's worth bothering with or not. Been the best £100 car I've had so I will more than likely fix it.

there's probably a thread for this, but I've been thinking about my 2019 shite plans, and they go something like this:

- Get the main jobs done on the Mondy Base - exhaust, rear bumper paint, thermostat change, and maybe a trip to Krown for a waxing - and make sure I get it to FOTU.

- Run the Mazda 323 until May at least and try and get it through another test. then see whether Mrs Egg is happy to continue with it, or if not get a newer auto and roffle the Mazda.

- Get a genuine* classic as my '3rd car' to have some fun with

- buy lots of Norev miniature shite.

- get to northern France for either a French car meet or a brocante

Umm, that looks expensive!

Met up at lunchtime for a pint with an old friend and neighbour. £4.29 ! a bottle for wainwright which was the most drinkable of the offerings my next door beefeater offered.

Anyway, as he mentioned he’s selling his flat to buy a house with his girlfriend and I’m now thinking of buying it a little. He’s offered a decent discount on the current price, and it turns out the mortgage wouldn’t be totally unrealistic either.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66299590.html

Positives - 2bed flat with parking and 1 ( maybe two with a neighbourly arrangement) garages with power.

Negatives - no outdoor space at all, just communal shrubbery.

Cons - we could all be living in a post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland next year, in which case my armed security and steel gates could be useful where I am.

Management fees on the flat?

Honestly, it looks like a very decent buy...

there's probably a thread for this, but I've been thinking about my 2019 shite plans, and they go something like this:

- Get the main jobs done on the Mondy Base - exhaust, rear bumper paint, thermostat change, and maybe a trip to Krown for a waxing - and make sure I get it to FOTU.

- Run the Mazda 323 until May at least and try and get it through another test. then see whether Mrs Egg is happy to continue with it, or if not get a newer auto and roffle the Mazda.

- Get a genuine* classic as my '3rd car' to have some fun with

- buy lots of Norev miniature shite.

- get to northern France for either a French car meet or a brocante

Umm, that looks expensive!

Would be a good thread to start!! I've lots of wishful thinking for 2019!

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk