The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Fucking cars. The 405 badly needs an alternator belt which wasn't in stock at the factors. The Rover is out of test and has been sitting round the back for a fortnight with the new exhaust in the back waiting to be fitted. The Dacia won't start on the starter motor and now the modern Focus is stuck in the village after running out of electricity.

Mrs fp volunteered me to look at our neighbours 2011 shart car, I don't mind as she's a lovely woman always brings my bins in etc the bugger wouldn't start, taking a look at it I noticed the aux belt had snapped, what in the actual fuck were MB thinking when they came up with the idea to have the auxiliary belt to give drive to the crank pulley to start it from a combined alternator come starter motor, I had to order the belt as obviously it's speshul kind of ribbed belt that can take the extra tension, so I'll fit it at the start of next week, luckily she has got another motor so it will save her a few quid me doing it

A bloke at work had one like that. He always carried a spare belt after a few had snapped.

I let him off such a stupid car though as he's got a Griffith 500 at home.

Is it an Mhd model? Badge should be on the back. Tread carefully as, if the belt has broken while driving, it is very likely to have overheated quickly.

Without looking i couldnt tell you what model, whether it went while she was driving was going to be the next question with her I just got told it wouldn't start, I'm literally in the job as far as replacing the belt for her so it starts, anything from there ahhhhmmmm ooottttt I don't fancy sorting head gaskets or at worst engine replacement

First re-fill on the roffle Scooby reveals an mpg of  ..... 30.6 mpgs

I don't think that's too bad as they're not the most frugal of things, plus it's cold and other reasons.

One thing I have discovered whilst driving it is that I like it and want one with a few more conveniences for daily use, however this shall suffice for now.

I don't know what it is about the car I like, but it just seems to work for me. The seats are super comfy, the suspension seems spot on for my local lanes and the 4wd makes it nicely grippy. Plus it's small(ish) but big enough for most duties for me, 2x 47kg gas bottles fit comfortably in the back.

So I've started tentatively looking for an Impreza wagon with a/c, cruise, auto and a bit more than 115bhp … JDM turbot mibbe?

Fucking cars. The 405 badly needs an alternator belt which wasn't in stock at the factors. The Rover is out of test and has been sitting round the back for a fortnight with the new exhaust in the back waiting to be fitted. The Dacia won't start on the starter motor and now the modern Focus is stuck in the village after running out of electricity.

Do not drive the 405 with a dodgy aux belt! You do know that they have killed many.engines by sending the broken bits of belt into the cambelt?

MOT booked in, having the rack fitted beforehand because the current sounds as bad as DW's Skoda. (check his Skoda video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jem5KByy6WE )

Expecting the worse but the garage I use has worked miracles before :D

I'm not convinced it isn't a top mount yet, but it is definitely getting worse...

Someone on my channel mentioned that rack issues under 20k miles aren't unusual though.

Whereabouts are you Mally ? I have a feeling you are localish to me and I may be able to ask about said circles

Thanks, am sorted now, Funeral director rang at 9am, apologised and produced another, from your way on, Gareth Williams.

Been tonight and seems fine.

My son can do it, but wasn't sure he could handle it right through, and didn't want a friend outdoing him, so outsider it is.

The first candidate spent 5 minutes on the phone explaining she was very religious herself, but would bend her rules for cash (not exactly how she put it). I said I'd look past that and we carried on.

Asked when she could come she said Fri aft. Checked with my son,who was on the other line at the time, yes fri aft ok. He then hung up.

Then she said " oh I've got a booking fri aft it will have to be Fri night.

But I've just told my son fri aft "Well ring him again and change it to Fri night ".

Sorry, if you can't organise an appointment, you are not organising our funeral.

Edit, when Gareth arrived he said Sally at the Funeral Directors described me as a blunt Yorkshire man.

Which is a fair description except I'm a mile and a half on the Lancashire side.

Ring, ring,

"hello husband, I'm in supermarket carpark, loud scraping noise under the car as reversing"

" car scraping or someone screaming?"

"Ha ha, what should I do, call the RAC?"

"Have a look under the car"

"OK"

(Sound effects: arthritic pensioner crawling under a Suzuki Grand Vitara)

"There is something hanging down, like a piece of tin"

"It's probably a heat shield, not important in cold weather,** try and pull it off"

(Sound effects: scratching and scraping, and a small cheer when metal fatigue defeats structural integrity)

"It's come off, do I need to go to kwik fit or Suzuki?"

"No, just bring the bit home with the shopping"

Still drives normally apparently.

**Not really what heat shields are about...........

Called the body shop earlier to ask about the merc. It’s having its machine polish now he said. I’m giving them a ring in the morning and it should be ok to pick up.

Which then starts the logistical problems.

I can walk (5 miles ) to collect. 90min and drive the merc home (20 mins ).

Or,

Drive the 2cv to the garage (20mins ) leave it and drive the merc home ( 20mins), get on bike, cycle to the garage ( 30mins) and put bike on 2cv tow bar rack and drive home ( 20mins).

I can’t decide.

Got four Goodyears for the Landrover tonight following an emergency call from the missis' with a puncture. It's one of those jobs I've been holding out on like you do... The others are old, out of shape and cracked. The spare is fucked. Winter is here. Whenever that car gets a flat, the bead comes off the rim (18"). Top tip... Jack the car up so the Tyre is round again, it blows right up!

Swapped a few fuses over this morning and have a few things I fucked back running, but cannot get into these two surrounded by this plastic yellow thing out. As my expertise ends basically here , anyone any ideas :D I can't get a proper grip on the fuses as they're embedded in this thing and it won't pop out itself

post-23087-0-03733400-1544868646_thumb.jpg

Without looking i couldnt tell you what model, whether it went while she was driving was going to be the next question with her I just got told it wouldn't start, I'm literally in the job as far as replacing the belt for her so it starts, anything from there ahhhhmmmm ooottttt I don't fancy sorting head gaskets or at worst engine replacement

Spoke to her last night and she drove it a couple of miles home after the belt had gone, Ive prepared her for the worst

Swapped a few fuses over this morning and have a few things I fucked back running, but cannot get into these two surrounded by this plastic yellow thing out. As my expertise ends basically here , anyone any ideas :D I can't get a proper grip on the fuses as they're embedded in this thing and it won't pop out itself

That looks like what’s known as a Transit fuse, one which can be pulled to cut power to various circuits which would otherwise drain a battery over an extended period of time, but can be reinstated by simply pushing the yellow assembly back into the board.

It should come out as a complete unit then the fuses can be replaced independently if needed.

Well I did the car collection, it’s sleeting here at the moment so I didn’t walk. I drove down in the 2cv, picked up the Mercedes drove home and then cycled back to pick up the 2cv.

Car looks very shiny ( full machine polish and wax £225), and the nearside wing looks new ( repair and paint £325).

post-8687-0-74695000-1544878363_thumb.jpeg