The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Well I've fixed* the alarm issue on the 75 by pulling the door card off and unplugging the wiring to the door catch.  It means that door won't lock on the central locking and doesn't operate the courtesy light, but I can live with that.  The biggest faff was getting the door card back on, especially as several clips broke and I had to replace them from my stock of cheap Chinese generic ones.  It's back on now though and doesn't seem to be rattling noticeably.

The next job was to swap the nearside front and rear tyres round, as the front is getting close to the limit and the rear is a lot better.  That fell by the wayside though when it turned out that although there is a locking wheel nut key with the car, it isn't the right one, which is something of an embuggerance.  The approved AS method using a 20mm socket and a lump hammer only succeeded in splitting the locking wheel bolt in half, which is going to make it even more awkward to get out unless I can cobble it back together again.  So I've given up for now and will just have to continue driving gingerly in the wet.

I replaced all the vacuum hoses on the Audi as I read somewhere that that could be the cause of the chugging / lack of throttle response issue.  Needless to say it's made bugger all difference, so it's probably a problem with the pump - which is inevitably going to be rather more expensive to sort.  Ah well, no pockets in shrouds &c.

Saw this little turd at a local retail park. Diagonal windows that don't even close properly and a safe load weight of about 18kg. I don't think I'd even fit in it but I'd love to try.

attachicon.gif20181125_124122.jpg

attachicon.gif20181125_121938.jpg

attachicon.gif20181125_121949.jpg

attachicon.gif20181125_121943.jpg

They have them over here all over the place…. I did do a spot - but as usual forgot to post the damn thing. They do look truly awful…….

Just had a pair of second hand winter tyres fitted on the C2, I'll be able to swap them onto a bx as well if needed.. The exit out of my estate is uphill and I've a feeling its going to need all the help in can get in the event of a bad winter. Also the Xm has had its decent tyres swapped onto the volvo alloys and looks so much better. Wheels will get tarted up when I get the fancy. I'm debating wether to get the sander out and remove all the loose laquer off the roof and wrap it some nice black carbon fibre wrap i have. Ultimately it needs a full respray but that would tidy it up considerably. Wonder if you can get colour matched wrap? Eagerly awaiting first of December when it will get taxed for the month and consume large amounts of my back balance in fuel costs.

Well I've fixed* the alarm issue on the 75 by pulling the door card off and unplugging the wiring to the door catch.  It means that door won't lock on the central locking and doesn't operate the courtesy light, but I can live with that.  The biggest faff was getting the door card back on, especially as several clips broke and I had to replace them from my stock of cheap Chinese generic ones.  It's back on now though and doesn't seem to be rattling noticeably.

The next job was to swap the nearside front and rear tyres round, as the front is getting close to the limit and the rear is a lot better.  That fell by the wayside though when it turned out that although there is a locking wheel nut key with the car, it isn't the right one, which is something of an embuggerance.  The approved AS method using a 20mm socket and a lump hammer only succeeded in splitting the locking wheel bolt in half, which is going to make it even more awkward to get out unless I can cobble it back together again.  So I've given up for now and will just have to continue driving gingerly in the wet.

I replaced all the vacuum hoses on the Audi as I read somewhere that that could be the cause of the chugging / lack of throttle response issue.  Needless to say it's made bugger all difference, so it's probably a problem with the pump - which is inevitably going to be rather more expensive to sort.  Ah well, no pockets in shrouds &c.

The door cards are hard work. There is a big metal clip in the middle that when the door card is removed, stays on the door. If you take this off and fit it onto the door card it makes it a little easier.

Further to my earlier post...

club de vehicules anciens de Calais (CVA) have responded to me and said the following. In the new year I will set up an 'event' thread and see who is in...

I’ve just posted in my pigeon French, hope it’s understood! From my experience of the French National 2cv club Facebook page, everyone posts thanks for letting them join. Happily I found a car photo taken in Calais for them.

I’m certainly up for a British raid on Calais! Their next meeting is Sunday, which is a little too short notice and I have plenty to do next weekend here.

The door cards are hard work. There is a big metal clip in the middle that when the door card is removed, stays on the door. If you take this off and fit it onto the door card it makes it a little easier.

I'll bear that in mind for next time - managed to get it lined up in the end, but it took a few attempts...

I saw one of those a couple of years ago that had obviously just dragged itself out of a field on it's way to another home, the rear tyre had split and the driver was sprinting away (I assuming to get it shifted ASAP as it had gone an hour later) whilst a really hacked off looking person was sat in a car behind with the hazards on.....

They had left it running and it was kicking out a smog that would raise global temperatures as I'm assuming it wasn't the easiest thing to restart.