The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The 75 estate is still having door-closure-related alarm issues, despite me lubing the fuck out of the catch mechanism this morning.  For now I've unplugged the alarm horn (to avoid pissing the neighbours off) and deactivated the interior lights (to give the battery half a chance and also to avoid attracting unwanted attention to the car).  I'll check it again in the morning to see if a) the alarm has gone off (it pings up a warning on the dash display if it has) and b ) the battery has survived the night with the horn and lights switched off.  I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet though and take the door card off to see if I can unplug the door switch.  What I'm not sure of is whether closing the door makes or breaks the circuit - if it makes it then I'm going to have to bridge the wires to the switch somehow.

I've also nicked a couple more bits of trim off the "new" 75 to go on the estate (door kickplates etc).  I tried fitting the (known working) parking sensor unit from the saloon to the estate, but it didn't bring the sensors back to life, so the problem must lie elsewhere.  I've discovered that my knock-off Delphi software will talk to a number of systems on the 75 - including the climate control - but it won't talk to the airbags, which is annoying.  Also the saloon's battery is now completely dead (it refused to restart after fuelling up at Tesco this afternoon, which was embarrassing) so it's now on a borrowed 063 which looks completely lost in the massive battery box but starts the car OK.

The Raleigh Runabout came as close as it's come so far to starting - it backfired quite impressively and stank my kitchen out.  The daft thing is I wasn't actually trying to start it - in fact it doesn't even have a carb fitted at the moment - I was just turning the engine over with a drill to see if the lights worked (they don't).  The carb has been off for a week now (and is going to be off a while longer as the gasket I ordered is wrong :roll: ) so feck knows what it was combusting - there must have been a bit of fuel made it through after all.

As the lights didn't appear to be working I removed the headlight bulb for a look.  One for LightBulbFun here:  dafuq kind of bulb is this?

attachicon.gifIMG_20181124_230809.jpg

It looks for all the world like a brake / tail light bulb (it even has the offset pins) but both filaments are 15w.  Is it a really half-arsed attempt at having dipped and main beam?  I've found 6v 15/15w bulbs on eBay, but they're set up more like a headlight bulb (longitudinal filaments with a wee deflector between them), and they don't have offset pins either.  I can't find one like mine at all.

ohh more lightbulbfun  :mrgreen: sadly Automotive bulbs are not my forte but ill try my best

(read: this is also the first time iv seen a head lightbulb like that )

do you have a close up/better picture of the markings on the cap? (just for my own curiousity if nothing else :) )

from having a look in some old catalogs id say its this type of bulb

post-25614-0-47527200-1543154875_thumb.png

(its from the 1960-1961 Osram GEC Lamp catalog for those wondering)

Time to take the Cruiser for it's weekly shopping trip. Nope. Battery dead. Again. I really must sort out a better battery with at least a gazillion CCAs for this heap.

The 214 is also refusing to start after I fucked about with it some more yesterday - changed a weeny little vacuum pipe and cleaned out the throttle body and now the ungrateful bastard won't fire. And promptly flattened the battery.

Streetwise remains willing puppy, starts first time, did me a 250 mile round trip last week with no issues at all. Went to a car boot sale, but got there late. Only about five sellers left, but still managed to pick up some cheap nitrile gloves for a couple of quid.

Further to my earlier post...

club de vehicules anciens de Calais (CVA) have responded to me and said the following. In the new year I will set up an 'event' thread and see who is in...

Our meetings every Two months on first sunday morning but our great annual event us due to take place on sunday june 30th.

We are pleased to receive Classic cars, youngtimers, old popular cars or exceptionnal like américans or so.

Please Feel Free to contact us for any détails.

Regards 
CVA Calais

do you have a close up/better picture of the markings on the cap? (just for my own curiousity if nothing else :) )

It's hard to get a better picture than that as they're a bit faded, but it says "NORE - 6v 15/15w - Made in England".

The one you've highlighted certainly looks like the one - all the ones I can find on eBay are the "one long pin" type.

The entire time I've had the 320, I've known about the leaves in the heating / ventilation system. Every now and then a leaf seems to drop into the fan and make a bit of noise. Usually, I can turn the fan up to full speed and it makes a lovely chomping noise and the leaf goes away. Today, a leaf was very stubborn.

It was stubborn to the point that I lifted the scuttle panel and reached in to remove all the leaves around the fan intake. Should be fine for a while now! Also got the boot lock sorted out as well. I was past the parents' house to pick up some winter tyres I had in their shed (and also just to say hi) and my dad got stuck in, pulling out the boot trim and we ended up completely removing the whole lock mechanism, stripping it down in a vice and greasing it. Now the boot locks and unlocks a treat.

Also drilled a couple of tiny ventilation holes in the headlight housings to see if that sorts the condensation in them. If not, can just silicone the holes back up, they're tiny anyway. Something like 5mm.

Also drilled a couple of tiny ventilation holes in the headlight housings to see if that sorts the condensation in them. If not, can just silicone the holes back up, they're tiny anyway. Something like 5mm.

On my e36 I've removed the back cover from the high beam unit (smaller inner one).

After a couple of hours driving with the lights on the condensation has now gone from one side, and is getting better in the other one, fingers crossed.

It's hard to get a better picture than that as they're a bit faded, but it says "NORE - 6v 15/15w - Made in England".

The one you've highlighted certainly looks like the one - all the ones I can find on eBay are the "one long pin" type.

I did a bit more sluthing

can confirm pretty much impossible to find the staggered pin type, however I did find the same lamp in the Philips catalog of 1962 so it was not just an Osram product or something like, but for some reason the 1 long pin variant is much more common...

post-25614-0-35788100-1543169168_thumb.png

(interestingly checking several 1970s/1980s Thorn/Osram GEC lamp catalogs and both types of bulbs are missing)

Hmm... it may not be the condenser at fault on the Princess after all.  Just removed the old one completely and the eyelet fell off the internal earth wire, the wire has fatigued and split right at the crimp.  This will be the second time that's been repaired in my ownership, when I first got the car the same wire was just bare copper wrapped in electrical tape and causing all sorts of weird issues.  I do wonder if this wire has been split for a while and could be the source of the intermittent splutter/stumble that I've been unable to pin down, because it's been providing an unreliable earth.

New condenser does look and feel substantially better made than the one that's fitted and will drop straight in so if the old one has failed as well (still very likely) at least I can fix everything.  Or Mike can, because he's better at herding electrons and volts than I am.

dont forget to add some loom smoke!

Just been to the shop in the XJ, once again the battery was flat (sod! Thank God for tiny boost packs :)   ) but then as it was flat and driven slowly with lights, wipers and air con on, no great surprise it didn't charge up. So of course, I have just done exactly the same again so it will still be flat tomorrow/whenever I next use it.

Just checked the 'average fuel consumption' on the computer, it made dire, almost suicidal reading. Granted, it does a couple of miles from stone cold and then gets parked until it's cold again, so every journey is with it stone cold, but even so, bad is not a sufficient word for it!

7.6 MPG which fell to 7.5 while I was watching it!

its a Jaaaaaaaaaaaaag ergo you are a cad & a bounder and do not feel the need to drive with ligjts on!

Time to take the Cruiser for it's weekly shopping trip. Nope. Battery dead. Again. I really must sort out a better battery with at least a gazillion CCAs for this heap.

The 214 is also refusing to start after I fucked about with it some more yesterday - changed a weeny little vacuum pipe and cleaned out the throttle body and now the ungrateful bastard won't fire. And promptly flattened the battery.

Streetwise remains willing puppy, starts first time, did me a 250 mile round trip last week with no issues at all. Went to a car boot sale, but got there late. Only about five sellers left, but still managed to pick up some cheap nitrile gloves for a couple of quid.

Does the K series R8 have the same fuel relay as the RELIABLE HONDA ENGINE? They're an Achilles' heel.

That pick up thing looks lethal, I would imagine if you leaned forward to get your paper off the dashboard it would tip on its nose.

Probably need to carry something at least as heavy as yourself + a newspaper in the back to even out the forces/loads.

It's only electric too. Now I REALLY want a go.

post-5435-0-46309200-1543181636_thumb.jpg

I have just had many drools over that line up spectacular French motoring goodness.

Next time you go, Monsieur Œuf, please steal me a Simca. 

to be clear, I wasn't actually there today, just stole the photos! But I plan to arrange something next year as mentioned up-thread.