The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I had another flat battery this evening, when I eventually got back to the car after pushing my bike the last mile and a half because the front tyre had got a puncture. :roll:   Fortunately I was in the Carina E which doesn't take much starting, so my little pocket jump pack got me going again. 

The Rover 75's battery was completely dead when I got home tonight, despite having been assured by the AA man that it was fine.  I jump started it off the Toyota, which took some doing (I eventually had to use the old front brake caliper off the Volvo to wedge the Toyota's accelerator pedal at 2,500 rpm to get enough juice flowing to fire up the Rover), then took it for a drive, and there was no sign of yesterday's spurious door open warnings, so the soaking in GT85 which I gave the catch mechanism last night appears to have worked.  So either the battery is in fact knackered, or something else is draining it - I'm wondering whether it's the sat nav, as I didn't lock the car last night and the nav gubbins don't seem to switch off completely if the car is unlocked.  I've locked it tonight (will be keeping an ear out for the alarm just in case) so will see what's what in the morning.

I'm at the Wetherspoons in Victoria Station (the only possible reaction when there's an hour before your train) just at the point of the evening when drinks get spilled.

They've just put the breakfast menus out ready for the morning.

Guys... Really... They're all going to be covered in beer and stuck to the tables before breakfast time.

I'm at the Wetherspoons in Victoria Station (the only possible reaction when there's an hour before your train) just at the point of the evening when drinks get spilled.

They've just put the breakfast menus out ready for the morning.

Guys... Really... They're all going to be covered in beer and stuck to the tables before breakfast time.

There’s a Wetherspoons in Victoria Station?

Holy fuck. I was there regularly for about a year and paying £5+ a pint in other pubs.

Had this email from my motorhome insurance co,,,,

specifically targeted are along the A127 within the postal codes of:

CM

CO

RM

SS

If you own a Fiat Motorhome in these areas please be aware of the increased theft risk.

While Motorhome thefts are rare, our claims statistics have shown that Fiats are being targeted. We recommend investigating and installing deterrents and/or taking preventative measures to decrease the risk of theft. Steering wheel locks, wheel-clamps and door locks are some ideas for extra security.

We would also like to mention that Ford Motorhomes still have the highest theft rates in the above areas particularly including:

SO

BH

So that's a few possible camping areas to avoid.

Access is a lot easier with a longitudinal engine, I can't see a problem getting a drill in about the stud.

I put it all back together, of course it's leaking exhaust gases and making chuffing noises from the blanking plate due to the broken stud but it seems to go well and it hasn't thrown up any error codes.

You could try this, left handed drills are very good and often bring the broken part out with the heat generated.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153000583623

Alternatively, if there is enough material weld a nut to it, again the heat generated helps to break the bond too.

Avensis took about 5 attempts to start this morning.  It did start after 3 goes and then promptly died.  It felt as willing as ever, just unable.  Granted, it was -4 - but that's never been an issue before.

Battery is about 3 years old so perhaps time to look at that.  But as I say, it sounded willing.  Spark plugs are about 6 months old.  Car was parked facing uphill but it's never complained before unless very low on fuel.  Starter sounded free and happy.  Possibly ignition switch?  Who knows.

Cars eh?

Just fitted the new front number plate to the car with sheer bolts, that ain't coming off again in one piece! Also slathered the bumpers in wax which I have declined to polish off (after polishing them first natch' )  to try and stop them from developing rusty spots, a look most unbecoming to a fine old classic!  :)  

Great video Wobbler!!! Love that rattly door, brings the memories flooding back.If you want to drive a really early 214 R8 I'm sure my dad would be very happy to let you take his for a spin. If that appeals, let me know next time you're over near Wisbech and I'll put you in touch!

The blue ferrari is back outside - mot history check says its a 1966 500SF (superfast) with 51K miles. wiki says one of 37 made, and only 8 in rhd.

You can buy it too at Bonhams (estimate £1.3million)

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24880/lot/10/

post-8687-0-15561100-1542892068_thumb.jpg

Email from Ford Etis means under GDPR rules, casual access looks to be verboten. Might not be able to check details any more.

Dear Independent Operator,

Due to the introduction of General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), (Regulation (EU) 2016/679).
In due course Ford Motor Company will be introducing some changes to FordEtis online to comply with the current GDPR regulations.
Ford Motor Company will issue a further communication email of the date of when the changes are to be introduced.

These changes will include:
1)      A new Registration Process for existing and new Independent Operators.
2)      Updated FordEtis online Terms & Conditions.
3)      Updated FordEtis Privacy Policy
4)      Ongoing access for Independent Operators that require EU5 Security Accreditation access.

I have reported the loss of number plate, zero interest from the nice lady on the phone, in fact a staggering amount of 'why the fuck are you bothering me?' sort of response, but it's done,

After slathering the bumpers with unpolished wax, some bugger has run their fingers along the back one, so now it has a shiny strip along it! Buggers...

Took it for a run and of course, stuck another £20 of fuel in it (every time I use it I stick £20 in it and it's not leaking... Aaaargh!) and let it get nice and warm while we (we being the car and I) took the dogs to the park. First time in a week as Chester has been crook as well as Phoebe. I do love driving it, so smooth and refined :) Bonus good news was/is the heater does work, it just takes an awful long time for heat to come through, you'd think with that great big sod up front the heater would be like a volcano about three seconds after starting it.

I have reported the loss of number plate, zero interest from the nice lady on the phone, in fact a staggering amount of 'why the fuck are you bothering me?' sort of response, but it's done,

It's a really dull job (for you and for her) but if the plates end up on something that's used in a ram-raid (or something dull like a speeding ticket or a Dart Charge) there's a record on the system showing that it might not be you.  Keep a note of the reference number!

As long as you managed to sell it for more* than you paid for it.....

I've done OK. No trips to Barbados or anything but a nice butty. To be honest they are still worth more in bits than a going concern but didn't want to break another one. What could be a result is that the car came with a private plate. I was about to list it as a selling point when my mate said I could take it off. I always thought the car had to be taxed and MOT'd to transfer a private plate or put it on retention. Looks like the goal posts changed when the DVLA shut all the regional offices? A quick fill in of a form online and £80 and the plate was off despite the car not seeing the Queen's highway for 15+ years. It's up with regtransfers so we will see what happens with it. One for the notebook if you come across a cheap ish shitter with a nice reg.

Mazda woes. Car front struts are causing the garage trouble, so should be ready this afternoon. Trouble will probably mean time, time is money. They estimated 2 hours at the start !

We had a look at the rear shock struts yesterday, one has a trail of oil down it. Replacements are $185 each plus of course the labour to re-do the whole rear suspension and re-bush it all.  Has to be done or throw the car away.

Spitballing with the missus about cars, next year id like to get a swb transit, as focus is fun, loud, different, but i feel claustrophobic in in, ok im 16 stone , 5ft 10ins not skinny...

(Obviously having no money will help the idea come to fruition and fall off and rot into the ground)

Spitballing with the missus about cars, next year id like to get a swb transit, as focus is fun, loud, different, but i feel claustrophobic in in, ok im 16 stone , 5ft 10ins not skinny...

(Obviously having no money will help the idea come to fruition and fall off and rot into the ground)

Don't forget to ask for a beacon for the roof, rigger boots and a high viz jacket, this renders you completely invisible and you can then drive round with no tax test or insurance for as long as you like, if you crash don't worry just give a false name and walk away.....

which generation?

605 not that arsed about starting in the cold. 

B3ryItk.jpg

It was persuaded to run again with the help of the local Leonard. I'm always paranoid about jumping an older car off a modern because of how hypersensitive their electrical systems are - and it took a fair belt off the Seat to get the Pug running. I'd left it for about two weeks, in which time the temperature had dropped a fair bit. 
Interestingly the clock still worked but the head unit needed the security code entering. There's a parasitic drain somewhere; the alternator drive belt screeches like a good 'un and the glow plugs are worn out. I still marvel at the speed it can carry along country roads - it made a friend's Rover 800 look spectacularly inept. 

I did the 605's oil and fuel filter recently as it was my daily during Seat Leon tyregate, which somehow took three weeks to resolve as I wasn't paying £25 to have a comically marked up tyre fitted. Eventually I took some happy pills, glue gunked the knackered tyre up the chuff, crossed my legs and drove a mile to the local tyre fitters who sorted it all out for a tenner. The saviour gunk bukkake'd all over their bay when I arrived, too. Nice people. 

I'll fire the 605 up more and use it locally until the local authority begins committing NaCl atrocities, by which point it can retire to the barn of doom nose out (but still taxed, just in case) with the 305. 

Eventually it, the SVX and Impreza will go to sleep for a bit; the Impreza needs another test, the SVX is the SVX and the 605 can have a kip until spring.