The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

car security ,,,,,, do   "whoopie" cushions still get used ?

years ago a chap had a low slung MGB type car with a aim and drop entry method for getting into the drivers seat ...

it kept getting broken into .....

so he made a whoopie cushion and left it on the drivers seat ...

a couple of nights later he was woken up by screaming and the sound of running down the street .....

how to make a whoopie cushion ...

get a flat square piece of wood ..... hammer a lot of tacks and nails throu it .....

hide assembly  in a cushion .......

Well that was a boringly uneventful collection mission.  All three trains were OK, I found my way to the seller's house with no issues and the car drove the 75 miles home with no fuss at all.  Even the weather was nice.

Here's what I've bought:

post-190-0-69851100-1542478685_thumb.jpg

No pez station shot as it had 1/4 of a tank in it when I picked it up, and that was enough to get me home.  It's a 75 Connoisseur in facelifted Project Deprive flavour, powered by a 1.8-litre turbokettle.  It has a very short MOT.  The driver's window doesn't work and is held in position with one of those dent-pulling sucker things.  And it is apparently suffering from early-stage HGF, but I haven't seen any visible signs of impending doom, other than an occasional splutter when flooring the throttle at lower revs which might even be completely unrelated.  Temp gauge sits rock steady at half way, heater blows warm and there's no mayo on the filler cap.  I haven't checked the coolant level yet as I'm waiting for it to cool down, but it obviously isn't losing it particularly quickly else I'd have lost heating in the nearly two hours it took me to get home.

There are some definite signs of Project Drive engineering*, but the 75 doesn't appear to have been anything like as badly afflicted as the 25 was.  The wood still looks good, the steering wheel still feels like leather and the heater controls don't feel like they're going to fall apart every time you touch them.  The handbrake lever feels rather cheap and nasty though, and, ignominy of ignominies, it only has a single-tone horn, so it loses out on the minor-third wind-tone parp which has been a feature of Rovers since the P4.

It's also substantially less well equipped than the estate - it doesn't have leather, cruise or nav - but that's probably partly due to being a lowly Connoisseur rather than a Connoisseur SE.  The turbocharged K-series quite suits it - it's slightly laggy but you don't have to rev the knackers off it in an undignified manner to get it to move like you do with a 2.0 V6.  It's better on fuel too - in fact with the price of petrol being 10p lower than diesel at the moment, it's probably just as cheap to run as the estate.  It's also noticeably more agile.  It does have an incongruously noisy exhaust, which sounds like it should be on a ZT rather than a 75 and gets quite unpleasantly boomy at 70 - apparently it's factory fit, although by then I think they were just shoving on whatever bits came to hand first.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it.  It was cheap - absurdly so in fact - and I was expecting it to be a lot more fucked than it is.  The idea was to nick a few bits of trim that are missing on the estate, maybe swap the tyres as well, and then weigh the rest in - Cartakeback are offering more than I paid - but I'm loath to do that now that it actually seems usable - especially as facelifted 75s aren't exactly thick on the ground these days. 

I really need to stop buying cars I like...

Well bought, although I have to admit I'm not a particular fan of the facelift look.

1.8 75s don't have cruise control, so you haven't lost out there - weird that leather seats were no longer part of the Connie spec with the facelift models (apart from Jan 05 onwards when they were reintroduced - parts bin specials I assume), but true according to https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=22249

Apparent OMGHGF, if you are losing small amounts of coolant more likely to be the inlet manifold gasket.

Two randoms please....

Apparent OMGHGF, if you are losing small amounts of coolant more likely to be the inlet manifold gasket.

Seller reckoned he'd had a sniff test done and they said it was on its way out.  He gave me a bag full of bits he was going to use to sort it himself - among which were two new thermostats, possibly not required as it gets up to temp quick and holds steady once it's there, and a bottle of Holts' version of K-seal.  I might chuck that in if it does start nomming coolant.

Well that was a boringly uneventful collection mission. All three trains were OK, I found my way to the seller's house with no issues and the car drove the 75 miles home with no fuss at all. Even the weather was nice.

Here's what I've bought:

attachicon.gifIMG_20181117_155511.jpg

No pez station shot as it had 1/4 of a tank in it when I picked it up, and that was enough to get me home. It's a 75 Connoisseur in facelifted Project Deprive flavour, powered by a 1.8-litre turbokettle. It has a very short MOT. The driver's window doesn't work and is held in position with one of those dent-pulling sucker things. And it is apparently suffering from early-stage HGF, but I haven't seen any visible signs of impending doom, other than an occasional splutter when flooring the throttle at lower revs which might even be completely unrelated. Temp gauge sits rock steady at half way, heater blows warm and there's no mayo on the filler cap. I haven't checked the coolant level yet as I'm waiting for it to cool down, but it obviously isn't losing it particularly quickly else I'd have lost heating in the nearly two hours it took me to get home.

There are some definite signs of Project Drive engineering*, but the 75 doesn't appear to have been anything like as badly afflicted as the 25 was. The wood still looks good, the steering wheel still feels like leather and the heater controls don't feel like they're going to fall apart every time you touch them. The handbrake lever feels rather cheap and nasty though, and, ignominy of ignominies, it only has a single-tone horn, so it loses out on the minor-third wind-tone parp which has been a feature of Rovers since the P4.

It's also substantially less well equipped than the estate - it doesn't have leather, cruise or nav - but that's probably partly due to being a lowly Connoisseur rather than a Connoisseur SE. The turbocharged K-series quite suits it - it's slightly laggy but you don't have to rev the knackers off it in an undignified manner to get it to move like you do with a 2.0 V6. It's better on fuel too - in fact with the price of petrol being 10p lower than diesel at the moment, it's probably just as cheap to run as the estate. It's also noticeably more agile. It does have an incongruously noisy exhaust, which sounds like it should be on a ZT rather than a 75 and gets quite unpleasantly boomy at 70 - apparently it's factory fit, although by then I think they were just shoving on whatever bits came to hand first.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it. It was cheap - absurdly so in fact - and I was expecting it to be a lot more fucked than it is. The idea was to nick a few bits of trim that are missing on the estate, maybe swap the tyres as well, and then weigh the rest in - Cartakeback are offering more than I paid - but I'm loath to do that now that it actually seems usable - especially as facelifted 75s aren't exactly thick on the ground these days.

Hopefully this sensible* solution is all you need to beef the Project Drive horn up https://youtu.be/IQQfi6lvNss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

small fleet update - 

i've been having the brake pad wear warnign coming up on the dash of the 75, so to cure* that and also stop the steering wheel dancing about under heavy braking, i have changed both the brake pads and brake disks on the Rover. which has suceeded in causing the pad wear waring to stop been intermittent thing to been on all the time. joy. we did at least get the reversing switch reconnected so one thing fixed, one thing sorta fixed.

and the wear warning thing on the rover? well in a fit of extream stupidity, i have bought a pair of new ones, Kerry will fit them next week (though she don't know that yet)

the lexus, that continues on, the replacement alternator seems to be doing its job. i still have a feeling of dread when driving the bloody thing. it is only a matter of time until it fails again, in some massive, expensive manner. i want to sell it come the spring, or at least treat it to a service, but kerry (who's car it really is, at least until it breaks) doesn't want too do either.

the 3 smoll cars are all away now until next year. so nothing to report there.

car security ,,,,,, do "whoopie" cushions still get used ?

years ago a chap had a low slung MGB type car with a aim and drop entry method for getting into the drivers seat ...

it kept getting broken into .....

so he made a whoopie cushion and left it on the drivers seat ...

a couple of nights later he was woken up by screaming and the sound of running down the street .....

how to make a whoopie cushion ...

get a flat square piece of wood ..... hammer a lot of tacks and nails throu it .....

hide assembly in a cushion .......

Funnily enough I was talking to my brother earlier and the subject came up regarding the burglar deterrent that my uncle "invented" many years ago after the workshop was broken into. This was his sadly unpatented device involving an old engine block on a chain, which if the trip was set off would release and swing across to flatten/decapitate any would be burglar. There was a safety device which the first person in had to reset, to ensure that it was not accidentally deployed. Fortunately it was never set off accidentally, nor was it used in anger. It was removed after a customer (local policeman) asked what it was and suggested that having to mention in court that the last thing that went through the burglar's mind was an A60 engine block might not go down too well.

small fleet update -

i've been having the brake pad wear warnign coming up on the dash of the 75, so to cure* that and also stop the steering wheel dancing about under heavy braking, i have changed both the brake pads and brake disks on the Rover. which has suceeded in causing the pad wear waring to stop been intermittent thing to been on all the time. joy. we did at least get the reversing switch reconnected so one thing fixed, one thing sorta fixed.

and the wear warning thing on the rover? well in a fit of extream stupidity, i have bought a pair of new ones, Kerry will fit them next week (though she don't know that yet)

the lexus, that continues on, the replacement alternator seems to be doing its job. i still have a feeling of dread when driving the bloody thing. it is only a matter of time until it fails again, in some massive, expensive manner. i want to sell it come the spring, or at least treat it to a service, but kerry (who's car it really is, at least until it breaks) doesn't want too do either.

the 3 smoll cars are all away now until next year. so nothing to report there.

When the brake pads wear down far enough to put the warning light on, the wear sensor needs replacing as well as the pads (or cut the sensor wires & join them together)

When the brake pads wear down far enough to put the warning light on, the wear sensor needs replacing as well as the pads (or cut the sensor wires & join them together)

thats the thing, the pads hadn't worn that far down. thwe disks were more shagged than the pads were!

the sensor things though are just jiggered, as driving over a bit of a pot hole or sunken ironwork manhole cover thing in the road would be enough to shake the bloody things to put the waring message on.

thats the thing, the pads hadn't worn that far down. thwe disks were more shagged than the pads were!

the sensor things though are just jiggered, as driving over a bit of a pot hole or sunken ironwork manhole cover thing in the road would be enough to shake the bloody things to put the waring message on.

wear sensors are cheap to replace, or just cut the wires & join them together.

I'm not sure how it's done it, but the Rover has popped one of the rear window winders off.  Handle, chrome bezel, weird gigantic wiggly clip thing that holds it on... all thrown on the floor.  Nobody ever goes in the back of the Rover so it's not like it's been accidentally knocked off, or even fiddled with for months and months.  I think it's done it because we fixed so many things on the Princess, superstition dictates I should leave it detached for as long as possible.

Well that was a boringly uneventful collection mission. All three trains were OK, I found my way to the seller's house with no issues and the car drove the 75 miles home with no fuss at all. Even the weather was nice.

Here's what I've bought:

IMG_20181117_155511.jpg

No pez station shot as it had 1/4 of a tank in it when I picked it up, and that was enough to get me home. It's a 75 Connoisseur in facelifted Project Deprive flavour, powered by a 1.8-litre turbokettle. It has a very short MOT. The driver's window doesn't work and is held in position with one of those dent-pulling sucker things. And it is apparently suffering from early-stage HGF, but I haven't seen any visible signs of impending doom, other than an occasional splutter when flooring the throttle at lower revs which might even be completely unrelated. Temp gauge sits rock steady at half way, heater blows warm and there's no mayo on the filler cap. I haven't checked the coolant level yet as I'm waiting for it to cool down, but it obviously isn't losing it particularly quickly else I'd have lost heating in the nearly two hours it took me to get home.

There are some definite signs of Project Drive engineering*, but the 75 doesn't appear to have been anything like as badly afflicted as the 25 was. The wood still looks good, the steering wheel still feels like leather and the heater controls don't feel like they're going to fall apart every time you touch them. The handbrake lever feels rather cheap and nasty though, and, ignominy of ignominies, it only has a single-tone horn, so it loses out on the minor-third wind-tone parp which has been a feature of Rovers since the P4.

It's also substantially less well equipped than the estate - it doesn't have leather, cruise or nav - but that's probably partly due to being a lowly Connoisseur rather than a Connoisseur SE. The turbocharged K-series quite suits it - it's slightly laggy but you don't have to rev the knackers off it in an undignified manner to get it to move like you do with a 2.0 V6. It's better on fuel too - in fact with the price of petrol being 10p lower than diesel at the moment, it's probably just as cheap to run as the estate. It's also noticeably more agile. It does have an incongruously noisy exhaust, which sounds like it should be on a ZT rather than a 75 and gets quite unpleasantly boomy at 70 - apparently it's factory fit, although by then I think they were just shoving on whatever bits came to hand first.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it. It was cheap - absurdly so in fact - and I was expecting it to be a lot more fucked than it is. The idea was to nick a few bits of trim that are missing on the estate, maybe swap the tyres as well, and then weigh the rest in - Cartakeback are offering more than I paid - but I'm loath to do that now that it actually seems usable - especially as facelifted 75s aren't exactly thick on the ground these days.

Very nice, white gold, same as mine.

Ignore the temp gauge, it stays at quarter to between 74 and 115c so is useless.

Hold down your trip meter for 6 seconds or so. Press the button until you get to number 19. It will alternate between 'log on' and 'log off', select the latter. Press the button until you reach option 7 and leave it, should start at 15. Go for a journey with mixed driving conditions, placing the engine under load at times is ideal. This will tell you the true engine temperature.

My 2003 model also doesn't have the external boot button under the chrome plinth which is annoying.