The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Yep. But I think the battery was on its way out. I work for a battery retailer anyway so a new battery fitted is under £40. Just waiting for the lads to get 5 mins to fit my battery. The RAC man remarked that he thought my battery might be too small, possibly, it's the same one that came with the car when I got it 3 or so years ago and even the it had to be jump-started so I reckon it's done more than its fair share. Gotta make up the time at work though. At work for an extra half an hour today and tomorrow.

So yeah, further to this I finally got a new battery fitted. It's pretty much the same as the old one but at £36 including VAT fitted (because: staff discount) I definitely can't complain.

post-3572-0-19210700-1540925362_thumb.jpg

I'm still getting minor 'coughs' of loss of power in the car. It'll suddenly loose all power and regain it in less than a second and continue as if nothing has happened. As I said, like a minor 'cough' I really have no idea what this might be. Internet diagnostics has proved useless.

Seeing as I'd actually spent money on it and will be doing soon again for the MOT, I thought I may aswell get some oil. It's been reminding me that it needs a top up for the last few weeks so a stop off at a petrol station saw me robbed of nigh-on £20 for a small bottle of Mobil-1 0-W40. Poured the lot in and it now dare I say it; it actually runs better.

Now it needs an MOT and some real coolant/anti-freeze.

Significant fleet changes occurring...Hoolis 9-5 to collect this week (subject to doovla sorting ownership for taxing) and then I’ve crossed pbk’s palm with silver so I can find a barn in the dark in Essex and try to drive a galaxy back to Yorkshire next week. And roffling the Mondeo...and the only modern in the fold requires a new tyre.

Holy carp I nearly died!

16 year old Runways in the wet, not even once.  Had two scary moments after a sudden downpour, the first had the Princess going frigging sideways trying to stop for a roundabout, and the second doing my best impression of ABS and hoping I didn't bounce off the island in the middle of the road.  Sub-40mph incidents too.  I am mashing the BUY NEW TYRES button right now.

I thought they were a bit less grippy but today they might as well have been made of ice.  It was not the good kind of scary, it was just plain scary.

Glad you came to no harm! This is what annoys me about people running around on bald ditchfinders and just going 'yeah, but they're fine.' Yes, they are. Until you REALLY need them. My local garage today said "You spend a lot on tyres don't you?" which I think is a reference to the number of visits there over the course of a year. I do like having decent rubber under me, after too many scary moments with entirely non-decent rubber.

People really need to be educated on tyre safety. We have enough bad weather in the UK for tyres to really matter. MOT regulations should be much tougher. Perished tyres should be a fail in my opinion. Tyres over a certain age should also be a MOT failure. I rarely come across people who care at all about tyres, including garages and MOT stations!

Glad you came to no harm! This is what annoys me about people running around on bald ditchfinders and just going 'yeah, but they're fine.' Yes, they are. Until you REALLY need them. My local garage today said "You spend a lot on tyres don't you?" which I think is a reference to the number of visits there over the course of a year. I do like having decent rubber under me, after too many scary moments with entirely non-decent rubber.

Agree but the blind “omg ditch finders” thing about budget tyres that a lot of people trot out is utter bollocks - they are not all made equally and definitely won’t all try to kill you.

True, but how you know the ok from the crap?

This is so true, I bought some maxxis tyres for my saph a few years ago supposed to be great, 1st sniff of damp and I turned into Ken block ran them for a bit thinking it may have been the releasing agent or something similar, they didn't improve safe to say I got rid of them I also like good tyres

Agree but the blind “omg ditch finders” thing about budget tyres that a lot of people trot out is utter bollocks - they are not all made equally and definitely won’t all try to kill you.

It's difficult, but after turning my Subaru Legacy into a terrifying, understeering pig with a pair of cheap tyres some years back, I'm a lot pickier. I haven't suddenly turned into a cost-no-object type, and I fitted Nankangs to my Rover today, but that's because I reckon they'll be ok and did a fair bit of research. It's always the trickiest aspect of cheap motoring, because scrimping is bloody dangerous, but tyres represent a pretty serious investment in a car I'm unlikely to keep until the tyres next need replacing.

People really need to be educated on tyre safety. We have enough bad weather in the UK for tyres to really matter. MOT regulations should be much tougher. Perished tyres should be a fail in my opinion. Tyres over a certain age should also be a MOT failure. I rarely come across people who care at all about tyres, including garages and MOT stations!

When I bought the 323 tyres last week, the tyre seller himself said 'are you sure you want to change them mate' - yes, date stamped 2013, the car had been running out of alignment for quite a while I reckon, uneven wear on the insides, and the car Mrs Egg and mini-Egg will be in over the winter. So, yes, I do!

Fair comment, but yup, this guy doesn't keep a lot of stock - so dated 18/18

Uneven as in scrubbed the inside edges off or bald in some bits but full tread in others?
2013 is only 5 years old, I certainly wouldn't be changing them just based on age - did you check how old the ones were that went on? Odd slowly moving sizes can easily be that old before fitting.

As ridiculous as they sound, the best budget tyres I’ve ever had were Hifly on a Skoda Felicia - did 650 miles a week on them for ages in all conditions and they were just excellent.

+1 on the Hifly’s. I’ve got 2 Hifly Vigorous tyres on my car (fitted by the dealer prior to purchase) and initially dismissed them as cheap crap. But 5000 miles in I’m happy to be proven wrong.

In the wet and in mud they’ve been pretty good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't even notice there existence until today!

Unless you were a keen student of old cars, you wouldn't. French Ford was a shortlived operation and once Ford pulled out of France the rights were acquired by SIMCA. Hence the SIMCA Vedette et al continuing the American theme. These cars including the Ford above had V-8 engines but of tiny capacity for an eight cylinder (just over 2 litres) as a result of punitive French tax laws. These cars would have been bought by the Flash Harrys and I don't think they were particularly common, but were nice well made cars nonetheless. 

I was surrounded by fully kitted up and armed Police today.

I don't suppose there are many who can say that.

They very nicely asked if I could fuck off for a while.

It's not as bad as it seems. They use the half empty warehouse site that I look after

for arms training. They also train dogs to be good dog, bad dog types there.

They were lucky as I was about to fuck off anyway.

Nankang is gradually making a good name for itself I find. Which is good as the tyres we've used from them are absolutely faultless. Thank god for technology advances.

Interesting,when Nankang were new on the Irish market,around the turn of the century,my brother-in-law scrapped a BX that he had just put 2 of them onto.He had done less than a thousand miles on them.So he gave me the wheels and tyres for my BX.They wore out in another 8 thousand miles,very evenly,but very quickly.I was getting around twice the mileage from other makes.So there must have been big quality improvements.

Another +1 for the Hifly Vigorous tyres here. Fitted a pair to the Holden (because cheap) at the end of last winter and was impressed with their ability in the snow, so when I needed 4 new boots for the L200 bought 4 being prepared to sacrifice some on road manners for good snow ability, the joys of living a mile off the road, in the sticks in NE Scotland. They have impressed so far, and they are currently on holiday with me and the L200 in sunny France.

I have also found Goodrides to be good on a heavy car, but much less so on a light car.