The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I gave up on that a long time ago, probably about 2009 (been going with my dad). Used to go a fair bit, but paying to look at a load of new Chinesium tools put me off returning.

True, but try getting in at Newark for £2-50, or buying 20 MT drills for a tenner.

Rufforths not bad but mainly old motor bike bits.

While out with oul Bill, the Irish Draught, this afternoon, we were passed on the road by two cyclists going hell for leather in one direction and an Audi 4x4 in the other. Immediately as they passed, there was a very strong smell of cannabis. I still can't work out whether it was the cyclists or the Audi driver.

Could it have been the horse?

I speak from experience when I say that horses are capable of making much more unpleasant smells than cannabis.

Horses don't need to be stoned to do something stupid or completely random or be spooked by a flying plastic bag 3 fields away. They are still a prey animal at the end of the day and it's instinctive.

Given the choice I would guess at both the Audi driver and cyclists had been puffing away.

Do not “like”

In the BMW?

Yep. But I think the battery was on its way out. I work for a battery retailer anyway so a new battery fitted is under £40. Just waiting for the lads to get 5 mins to fit my battery. The RAC man remarked that he thought my battery might be too small, possibly, it's the same one that came with the car when I got it 3 or so years ago and even the it had to be jump-started so I reckon it's done more than its fair share. Gotta make up the time at work though. At work for an extra half an hour today and tomorrow.

Could it have been the horse?

Bill is a laid-back individual, but I'm not sure he's mastered the art of lighting a spliff, still less smoke it.

I speak from experience when I say that horses are capable of making much more unpleasant smells than cannabis.

That's a different type of good shit, and you can use it as fuel for your stove....  :mrgreen:

Horses don't need to be stoned to do something stupid or completely random or be spooked by a flying plastic bag 3 fields away. They are still a prey animal at the end of the day and it's instinctive.

Given the choice I would guess at both the Audi driver and cyclists had been puffing away.

They passed us about here

It was a pretty strong smell!  :shock:

A fact which saves 50% of the hosting costs whilst inconveniencing a much smaller percentage of transactions. Sounds like a win for me.

(Though, if they went properly cloud native and ran it through static pages and lambda functions etc. it would be probably even cheaper to run all night too)

Southend reg on the Hillman too :)

Ah is it, my grandad's mum's family was from Southend/Prittlewell/Hadleigh/Rochford etc - I wonder if he got it from a family member then. Thanks.

Edit: as a probably uninteresting aside I can trace that branch of my family back to Isiah Lucking born 1693 in Leigh (my 7x great grandfather)! A bit of Foulness in there too. I bet they were a rum bunch ;-)

This is what was written about my 4x great grandad John....

On 7th June 1841 the Census Enumerator knew his village well and had no need to give addresses, in fact it is very doubtful if the houses were numbered at all. If he began his enumeration at Belton's Hill Farm at the far west end of the High Street he would have had the waters of Hadleigh Ray on his right and beyond that the grass and mud plateau of Leigh Marsh. He could just make out the hovel belonging to the resident shepherd, John Lucking, his wife and two young children. He would have remember to return and count them before he finished. He could not get to the island now as the tide was in but in a few hours the causeway would be uncovered and he could cross over to record his last entry.

I’ve been touring around Oregon again, as always seeing a lot of prime shite, will do a post on that when I get back.

But today I was at Fort Stephens state park, it’s famed for being the only mainland US military installation to be attacked during WW2 (only the baseball pitch was damaged). I was a little overjoyed by the fact they had THIS to runaround the park in...

post-19988-0-07810800-1540868215_thumb.jpeg

:D

Big 40 today, so off to Brighton shortly with the wife. She has promised me lunch at a winkle stall. I do like a bit of seafood it must be said.

I’ve been touring around Oregon again, as always seeing a lot of prime shite, will do a post on that when I get back.

Isn't that every American brand car?

***runs and hides from danthecapriman, eddyramrod and the many other septic fondlers on here***

Isn't that every American brand car?

***runs and hides from danthecapriman, eddyramrod and the many other septic fondlers on here***

When I was there with him in February the amount of 80s/90s Yank shite was awesome. Epically rusty Pontiac Sunfires and similar everywhere.

I also noticed, however, a large number of very well-preserved VW T25s. They seem to really like them in Oregon.

Change in the fleet continues apace.

The Suzuki is gone, nice chap came and took it away this afternoon. I had a traveller fellow on the phone trying to barter with offer of services rendered, had to tell him I didn't have any trees needing taken away and that we were fine for tarmac.

The 405 is going to go away for winter after all, going to SORN from first of November. Partly to save money, partly because it's tinworm free and the council will probably be on a salt assault after last year travel problems.

Holy carp I nearly died!

16 year old Runways in the wet, not even once.  Had two scary moments after a sudden downpour, the first had the Princess going frigging sideways trying to stop for a roundabout, and the second doing my best impression of ABS and hoping I didn't bounce off the island in the middle of the road.  Sub-40mph incidents too.  I am mashing the BUY NEW TYRES button right now.

I thought they were a bit less grippy but today they might as well have been made of ice.  It was not the good kind of scary, it was just plain scary.

Holy carp I nearly died!

16 year old Runways in the wet, not even once. Had two scary moments after a sudden downpour, the first had the Princess going frigging sideways trying to stop for a roundabout, and the second doing my best impression of ABS and hoping I didn't bounce off the island in the middle of the road. Sub-40mph incidents too. I am mashing the BUY NEW TYRES button right now.

I thought they were a bit less grippy but today they might as well have been made of ice. It was not the good kind of scary, it was just plain scary.

Did you remember to turn the after burners off before braking?

Wise move re new tyres.