The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I'm an hour south & no snow. I am about to go out & bodge the hole in the jag's floor to stop the carpet getting wet all winter though.

It's rust treated but I didn't seem to have any filler so been out for that. Tea n toast now before bodgery.

Just took the Hiace over to a local garage for new tyres, they're a good bunch in there although I'd forgotten about them and hadn't been for a couple of years, they seem to do very good pricing on tyres too.  I wish I'd changed the rears ages ago, it rides so much better now, the old ones were rock hard - probably why one of them split open on the tread, hence the sudden need for replacement.

Not so good was the phone call while I was walking about: "we've put one new tyre on to replace the burst one but are you sure you want to do the other one?  He's had a look underneath and it's pretty bad."

See, I'd asked them to give me their unbiased opinion on its rusty nether regions while they had it, thinking it'd help me plan for what to do with it next year.  I wasn't quite expecting to be shown large amounts of missing metal and holes prodded in scabby but solid-looking suspension components.  It's absolutely shagged and probably should not have passed its MOT back in August.  The garage estimated 10+ hours of welding if he could find anything to weld to and it will still be very rusty everywhere else.  They recommended it was not worth it, especially as it is also going to need some suspension bushes fairly soon and there's a lot of other rotten metal away from the structural bits.  A decade of being coated in mud by the previous owner has not done it any favours.

I've got the two new tyres anyway for safety's sake and will run it for a little while yet while I work out what to do next, in one way it's sad as I've had some great trips in it and spent a lot of time and money on it, but on the other hand, a new project beckons.

I'm tempted by a MWB Boxer/Relay/Ducato or Renault Master as I'm keen to have a high roof and a little more space and power.  Whilst out earlier I looked at a P-reg Boxer ex-Ambulance sat on a dodgy dealer's forecourt which from a distance looked OK but up close was looking pretty ropey, although the conversion looked moderately well done.  The MOT history site then showed it had failed its last test in July with a very long list of issues, mostly rot-related, and had nearly a quarter of a million miles on it.  At £4000, this did not seem like a good investment opportunity.

The mechanic who dealt with my Hiace today suggested that VW Crafters can be OK if they've been looked after, likewise post-2007 Transits which I was surprised at but the rust thing does put me off.  

Any other suggestions?  I'm likely not going to have much to spend, £2-3k at most I suspect, so I will need to compromise somewhere.  I could go with another Hiace, maybe a later 2.5TD D4D but there's no high-roof option and I'm quite keen on that particular feature.

been over to whitby today, though the crap weather is off putting.

was going to and see what was on show at the Kustom car show, but given how wild it is, and the lack of parking ment i couldn't be bothered.

did see some old and ratty looking '70s Cadillac Hearsenin town, and some enormouse black Dodge Ram pickup thing trying to negotiate the Kyber pass, and also this little sweetie parked up on Skinner Street.

post-18270-0-02790700-1540652646_thumb.jpg

Yukon grey i believe, now that must be a rare colour.

Kerry says she saw some El Camino pickup yesterday, though as i didn't go up to the school or swimming baths i can neither confirm or deny this.....

Just took the Hiace over to a local garage for new tyres, they're a good bunch in there although I'd forgotten about them and hadn't been for a couple of years, they seem to do very good pricing on tyres too. I wish I'd changed the rears ages ago, it rides so much better now, the old ones were rock hard - probably why one of them split open on the tread, hence the sudden need for replacement.

Not so good was the phone call while I was walking about: "we've put one new tyre on to replace the burst one but are you sure you want to do the other one? He's had a look underneath and it's pretty bad."

See, I'd asked them to give me their unbiased opinion on its rusty nether regions while they had it, thinking it'd help me plan for what to do with it next year. I wasn't quite expecting to be shown large amounts of missing metal and holes prodded in scabby but solid-looking suspension components. It's absolutely shagged and probably should not have passed its MOT back in August. The garage estimated 10+ hours of welding if he could find anything to weld to and it will still be very rusty everywhere else. They recommended it was not worth it, especially as it is also going to need some suspension bushes fairly soon and there's a lot of other rotten metal away from the structural bits. A decade of being coated in mud by the previous owner has not done it any favours.

I've got the two new tyres anyway for safety's sake and will run it for a little while yet while I work out what to do next, in one way it's sad as I've had some great trips in it and spent a lot of time and money on it, but on the other hand, a new project beckons.

I'm tempted by a MWB Boxer/Relay/Ducato or Renault Master as I'm keen to have a high roof and a little more space and power. Whilst out earlier I looked at a P-reg Boxer ex-Ambulance sat on a dodgy dealer's forecourt which from a distance looked OK but up close was looking pretty ropey, although the conversion looked moderately well done. The MOT history site then showed it had failed its last test in July with a very long list of issues, mostly rot-related, and had nearly a quarter of a million miles on it. At £4000, this did not seem like a good investment opportunity.

The mechanic who dealt with my Hiace today suggested that VW Crafters can be OK if they've been looked after, likewise post-2007 Transits which I was surprised at but the rust thing does put me off.

Any other suggestions? I'm likely not going to have much to spend, £2-3k at most I suspect, so I will need to compromise somewhere. I could go with another Hiace, maybe a later 2.5TD D4D but there's no high-roof option and I'm quite keen on that particular feature.

Sad times. Crafters are big, thirsty beasts, and bits for them are pricey. They are also turning into rusty beasts. I like them though.

Boxers are a world of blind spots and French electrics. I don't much like them.

been over to whitby today, though the crap weather is off putting.

was going to and see what was on show at the Kustom car show, but given how wild it is, and the lack of parking ment i couldn't be bothered.

did see some old and ratty looking '70s Cadillac Hearsenin town, and some enormouse black Dodge Ram pickup thing trying to negotiate the Kyber pass, and also this little sweetie parked up on Skinner Street.

attachicon.gifDSCN8400.JPG

Yukon grey i believe, now that must be a rare colour.

Kerry says she saw some El Camino pickup yesterday, though as i didn't go up to the school or swimming baths i can neither confirm or deny this.....

More drawn to the battle scarred faithful k11 behind, but that’s just me!

Four seasons in one day, I've been down to West Wales and back to see my sister and experienced everything from bright sunshine to hailstorms and heavy rain. In the good news box is that the rear wiper on the Land Rover has decided it will work, unfortunately outweighed in the bad news box that it has now decided that it really likes jumping out of fifth gear not just occasionally on over-run, but under load as well.

We were due to trade my other half's 500 in today, but yesterday I found a puddle of brake fluid from the nsr wheel. Whipped the drum off to find this:

post-3886-0-76870100-1540659921_thumb.jpg

Wheel cylinder has failed and soaked the shoes too.

Bought a pair of cylinders and a set of shoes and fitting kit and was going to change the lot. However after spending 2 hours absolutely freezing my bollocks off fighting with one side, I'm embarrassed to say that it's getting traded in with odd rear shoes. Every fucking bolt I touch these days turns to shit so I'm not risking taking it apart any more, every fixing is rotten, a poor show for a 9 year old car really. On the plus side, it bled up easily without having to touch anything other than the new bleed nipple.

Good luck. I’ve been vaping again for 2 months now :)

Onepoundeliquid.com is excellent juice for the low price.

Cheers fella, one thing I notices is when I said I was a menthol smoker, they assumed I smoked Tailor mades which are low nicotine. Nah, I smoke rollies with menthol tips.

Could do with a stronger nicotine liquid, but 6-7 goes on the vape and just 1 roll-up today. I'd normally have done 5-6 rollups by now on a Saturday. Work will be the real test.

My dad has finally achieved a lifelong dream of owning his own vintage car,and just put a deposit down on a 1925 Trojan.I'm looking forward to seeing it at Xmas time :-)

Well done to him, he's obviously not a speed maniac,though.I believe Trojan had a large clientele among the clergy.The only car to be advertised in the Church Times.38 mph top speed, whatever you did.

Good man. I stopped cigarettes in March, vaped low nicotine juice for a couple of months, now no pure tobacco or vaping.

Still smoke a bit of the other, with tobacco, but the needless cigarettes have stopped altogether now.

I can't smoke the other. It makes me fighty. Even the passive smoke from a couple of friends who smoke the other makes me edgy and angry.

Weird, as everyone else I know who smokes it mongs out and/or gets giggly.

No it's not the ebay one,he had various arguments with the seller who denied it has been plate raped,some stealth work by me proved it had been last year... Also been hacked about at the back end.this one was found through the Trojan club,and hasn't been advertised out of it,often the best way.I'm very pleased for him,he's got his fleet of british bikes but has wanted a vintage car for years,his dad restored Austin sevens,tens and twelves back in the early 70s (when they weren't worth anything) till the early 90s so he was brought up around it

Sad times. Crafters are big, thirsty beasts, and bits for them are pricey. They are also turning into rusty beasts. I like them though.

Boxers are a world of blind spots and French electrics. I don't much like them.

I'm currently thinking Boxer derivative or Master/Movano might be the best option. Nothing is perfect but I very much like the idea of something big enough to stand up in!

Best of luck mate. I’ve managed two years. Hard but not impossible and worth it.

Cheers grump. I need a stronger liquid ideally, but I've only done 3 rollies today, and they didn't give me the hit I was expecting. I've tried giving up several times in the past, the worst was using patches. The constant dosing, and not as required, was making me brain melt

Cheers grump. I need a stronger liquid ideally, but I've only done 3 rollies today, and they didn't give me the hit I was expecting. I've tried giving up several times in the past, the worst was using patches. The constant dosing, and not as required, was making me brain melt

A good start. I did it with sheer bloody mindedness and Aldi boiled sweets but that’s definitely not the way most people would! I’m pleased for you mate. One of the hardest things to do is to give up smoking as I’m sure you know so any progress is good progress.