The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

There's not a lot to say about it really, it just goes on doing its job. Bought off Gumtree (over the phone, whilst in the Eight Bells and after about six pints) about three and a half years ago and it's been a lovely old thing. I was kind of looking for a 240 or maybe a Mercedes 190 but couldn't find anything within my slender means that wasn't showing its age. This came along and I've had no regrets since. Comfortable, spacious enough for my requirements and not too bad on juice.

Incoming !

Just dragged its sorry arse down from Barnsley - only photo before the phone died on me.

IMG_20181024_211610.jpg

Runs like shit, but no overheating amazingly. Been stuck in a garden for the last few months, and definitely benefitted from a 50 mile hoon down the M1 at 70, and was more than capable of keeping up and overtaking. Just at the low end where it's shake rattle and roll. Gearbox/clutch perfect, brakes iffy, throttle woeful.

Probably won't get a good look at it until post-Cannock due to work shite.

Proper thread to follow, but yes its a K-series R8 with the proper front end. Bodywork is ace. £301.99 last minute bid on Sunday night with 6 secs of the auction left to run. 61K miles, definitely with giffer heritage.

Ghosty won't approve cos not Honda. Diamond/tempest he will, I hope, nod sagely at.

Oh and it's a Cat C which is why the seller wanted rid....

Which part of Barnsley was that hiding in as I've clearly missed it.

Unexpectedly found myself at Chez Six Cylinder, where I unexpectedly found Bucketeer. Has been a very jolly evening. There was sausage swapping going on earlier. Bucketeer didn't like the taste.

I hear they let him sleep on the aga, which he likes and keeps coming back, scratching at the door until he's let in

Has been a very jolly evening. There was sausage swapping going on earlier. Bucketeer didn't like the taste.

Please tell us that's not a euphemism...

Unexpectedly found myself at Chez Six Cylinder, where I unexpectedly found Bucketeer. Has been a very jolly evening. There was sausage swapping going on earlier. Bucketeer didn't like the taste.

Supernatural-gif-mouth-open.gif

I don't think Sam can talk after the demon blood in season 2...

Which part of Barnsley was that hiding in as I've clearly missed it.

eBay Street.

Seriously, though, it's been knocking around Wombwell for a while I believe - there is a back story to it apparently, per R8 Facebook group, with the last but one owner being a bit devious by failing to disclose Cat C to my seller. Mind you, the same allegedly devious git appeared to spend a fair bit on it if the receipts are anything to go by, including a cambelt/water pump/tensioner swap about 9 months back.....

I've gone to edit my insurance policy twice now to check the price for this 406, as I have 2 weekends to choose from. Collection this weekend drops the monthly price by £7, collection next weekend increases it by £26

Now when I click edit, a box comes up to call them to make changes... oops best do that tomorrow once I have a lift confirmed/bramz has said he is available

Merc has been a bit lumpy first thing in the morning for a few days now.

This morning it sounded like it was running on two, and was vibrating like mad. Mega jerky at low speed.

At normal traffic speed it was smooth as normal, and putting the foot down resulted in the usual turn of speed.

EML appeared, fault code as shown:39dff407bb8cb64af651d8532d725f75.jpg

If I'm lucky, one of these is gone, easily replaced:

969a5830fe9d2dc935bf0e64ef7b9371.jpg

But the terrible option appears to be stretched cam chain, and it seems the M271 engine is prone to doing this.

Plan of action is to obtain two used cam actuator boyos from local scrap emporium, if that doesn't solve things then it'll be time to check the timing marks.....

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Merc has been a bit lumpy first thing in the morning for a few days now.

This morning it sounded like it was running on two, and was vibrating like mad. Mega jerky at low speed.

At normal traffic speed it was smooth as normal, and putting the foot down resulted in the usual turn of speed.

EML appeared, fault code as shown:39dff407bb8cb64af651d8532d725f75.jpg

If I'm lucky, one of these is gone, easily replaced:

969a5830fe9d2dc935bf0e64ef7b9371.jpg

But the terrible option appears to be stretched cam chain, and it seems the M271 engine is prone to doing this.

Plan of action is to obtain two used cam actuator boyos from local scrap emporium, if that doesn't solve things then it'll be time to check the timing marks.....

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

I'd check the timing first. Just because it should be free and just cost time to do so.

Just had the insurance renewal quote through on the duster- swiftcover want £1200 a year for the bastard.

Their reasoning- "it's an obscure vehicle sir"... It's a bloody Clio in a fat suit! Time to hit the comparison sites

..... so then, I'm in the 'zone' @£200pa eh? ....