The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Maybe a combination of both. Does the landlord own several other residential properties, suggesting a slight difficulty keeping on top of all of them? Is the letting agent one of those which pretends to listen to tenant concerns, only to bin them shortly after so that the landlord never gets a chance to even hear about them until too late?

As long as the agent doesn't pretend that the tenant has let the bath overflow

Waved goodbye to my Xsara van, genuinely going to miss it as its been such a good little van. of course this means I'm down to "only" 5 vehicles, meaning all can be parked off road again. The cash from van will clear the overdraft, refraining from buying another car is going to be hard!

Can't rate Peter S Taylor highly enough. Great folks, and the only folk who will cover me for business use in classics for a not-ridiculous amount.

Yes they are really, really good. They let me insure the blower Jag for £150 and the XJ Sport for £98. Not bad for a 27 year old. Unfortunately they hit a stone wall with the BX, it was over £500. I couldn't get anyone to do it for less than £300 so I aborted the BX mission unfortunately. I have just seen a big cat that I just have to go an look at tomorrow. Booked appointment, hope it doesn't vanish before I get over towards Blackpool. Have no space, but cannot be missed. Will just have to try and rent somewhere to store it all being well.

Ah, plumbing during one of the great pipeclip famines. Someone also needs a manufacturer's instruction sheet stapling to his knackers to remind them not to mix different makes of plastic supply pipe. (The mix of waste pipes is bad enough but should still work.)

Indeed. I am not a plumber, but even my wife knows the drain pipes shouldn't go up then down, and the feed pipes should be clipped in place.

Yes they are really, really good. They let me insure the blower Jag for £150 and the XJ Sport for £98. Not bad for a 27 year old. Unfortunately they hit a stone wall with the BX, it was over £500. I couldn't get anyone to do it for less than £300 so I aborted the BX mission unfortunately. I have just seen a big cat that I just have to go an look at tomorrow. Booked appointment, hope it doesn't vanish before I get over towards Blackpool. Have no space, but cannot be missed. Will just have to try and rent somewhere to store it all being well.

Insurance is due for renewal on mine. I'll have to try them.

Leboncoin has rolled out a few improvements, not before time!!

For example, you can

• view all a sellers ads at once now by clicking under their username (this wasn't possible before, you had to search by name and hope for the best!)
  • They also do saved searches now.

Good old France, always 10 years behind in virtual terms. #3615

Minitel-3615-ne-repond-plus.jpg

Insurance is due for renewal on mine. I'll have to try them.

Well that didn't work, they obviously don't like business use & only car.

Leboncoin has rolled out a few improvements, not before time!!

For example, you can

• view all a sellers ads at once now by clicking under their username (this wasn't possible before, you had to search by name and hope for the best!)
  • They also do saved searches now.

Good old France, always 10 years behind in virtual terms. #3615

Minitel-3615-ne-repond-plus.jpg

The big question is, can you now have more than 3 photos on your ad?

Also not sure I agree with the comment about the French being 10 years behind - the Minitel allowed them to book train tickets online, check the news / weather, send and receive messages etc. from 1982 - that's about 15 years before home internet became widespread in the UK.  When we moved to France in 1993 my dad paid the extra to have a Minitel 2, which did all of the above but with a colour screen!

Played with the Jaguar again, pulled off (oo-er!) all connections, checked hoses for vac leaks, hit things with hammers but I still cannot get to the bottom of the bloody idle problem! Start it after it's been stood a while and the idle is 900- 1000 rpm, switch it off again and restart and it's down to the correct, 700 and stays there.

Why? I still think it's something electrical but I have run out of ideas and all the Jaguar forums seem to have given up on me (no wonder with all the stupid questions I ask).

Also noted that after all my faffing with the dashboard I have lost the left side repeater for the indicators, they work properly so just the repeater and it's probably just the bulb, but... it is such a faff getting the dash connections back in I am loathe to take it out again and lose some other stuff! Nice to have a dash that displays information, scared!

Started re-dying the tiny bit of wear on the driver's seat bolster, it really is minute but, OCD!

Played with the Jaguar again, pulled off (oo-er!) all connections, checked hoses for vac leaks, hit things with hammers but I still cannot get to the bottom of the bloody idle problem! Start it after it's been stood a while and the idle is 900- 1000 rpm, switch it off again and restart and it's down to the correct, 700 and stays there.

Why? I still think it's something electrical but I have run out of ideas and all the Jaguar forums seem to have given up on me (no wonder with all the stupid questions I ask).

Also noted that after all my faffing with the dashboard I have lost the left side repeater for the indicators, they work properly so just the repeater and it's probably just the bulb, but... it is such a faff getting the dash connections back in I am loathe to take it out again and lose some other stuff! Nice to have a dash that displays information, scared!

Started re-dying the tiny bit of wear on the driver's seat bolster, it really is minute but, OCD!

It's not a smart charge system boosting the revs under an electrical load is it? Or a fast idle controlled by engine temp?

Also not sure I agree with the comment about the French being 10 years behind - the Minitel allowed them to book train tickets online, check the news / weather, send and receive messages etc. from 1982 - that's about 15 years before home internet became widespread in the UK.  When we moved to France in 1993 my dad paid the extra to have a Minitel 2, which did all of the above but with a colour screen!

Well, indeed the French have been masters at developing alternative non Anglo-Saxon solutions to things for decades!

I guess my comment was specifically directed at LBC - eBay had the functionality they are trumpeting about now years ago, and as France's premier classifieds site, I think that getting these basic tools has been a bit slow! (But also accept it has a different business model).

It's not a smart charge system boosting the revs under an electrical load is it? Or a fast idle controlled by engine temp?

Sadly not. There is a fast idle controlled by the temp and it is known they can be dodgy but I'm pretty sure it's not that.  Seems odd that it starts at 900 rpm and will stay there regardless of temp until it's turned off and restarted immediately when the idle is now the correct 700 and again, it will stay there forever until it is switched off and left for a while when the high idle is back (turn off, restart and back to 700 again - rinse and repeat!).

I've been enjoying the Marina over the weekend, I took it to a little car meet in Colchester yesterday for a hour or so and enjoyed a nice bacon roll and coffee on the old lifeboat there

89752e3627af29387377cc3718b2f0ee.jpg

3519c7306f41d7615d3df89e3d505412.jpg

9212de41088a75bdcbbcbe2d5b082624.jpg

33377abf4fe39fb2fceb7a4fcafaa36f.jpg

This R12 has only done 18000 miles!

f423a4890edd1281de34643abf4a3ff5.jpg

49a056b9a8741d4044f616b0f0b2810f.jpg

a9156434157354cab491461f4b6f6585.jpg

19c5ecf16cbe242eea13ac3cee97487d.jpg

ebcbab866bbba41654ac457c08a8e2a4.jpg

This replica Timelord car was ace, apparently KLF tipped white paint all over it last year.

98796ceede64187a71882a3ebe67b2d4.jpg

cbff11f4bd4655d719f9a694b0ab08dc.jpg

5dc0de6077e5879e011f92fbb6178c9d.jpg

65c2b702f2918edbacaae7f006718516.jpg

a6f4a1856e93d85d324767f3cb33fb22.jpg

c337b6964877c940219d044ec5ffbdb8.jpg

ea223d8239e30b2626c6810e22f685a4.jpg

Then today I had a new tumble dryer to collect so used the Marina, It fitted in with loads of room to spare!

6f3f0b504da5c815bcb147fdd3ef7511.jpg

And then took it in for its first MOT since 1981 where it passed with no advisories.

001b763e1311e50c92eac0e692da7847.jpg

Oof,that looks like a cracking show. There are a few Renault 12s starting to come out around the area now, which is great considering how few there are in the UK.

However, although it is not usual Autoshite material, I have to say that Lotus Carlton is absolutely top draw. Excellent photos as always, and well done on the Marina MOT pass.