The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Not exactly earth-shaking news, but I’ve pressed the Elite into service as main car for the weekend.

Beige cars in the shed:

attachicon.gifBAC64812-9CD7-4E1E-8FBD-803789F12D03.jpeg

Blue cars at the house:

attachicon.gifE16682F8-461A-40DA-84D4-7899A0574852.jpeg

The Lotus is running a treat and handling even better for having plenty of air in the tyres and the NSF wheel bolts tightened up - two of them were very loose. Oops. Lucky I noticed that.

I love the logic.

"Oh, autumn / winter is approaching. What do I need on my driveway? A Golf Convertible and a Lotus Elite! WCPGW?!"

Brilliant. :D

Not exactly earth-shaking news, but I’ve pressed the Elite into service as main car for the weekend.

Beige cars in the shed:

BAC64812-9CD7-4E1E-8FBD-803789F12D03.jpeg

Blue cars at the house:

E16682F8-461A-40DA-84D4-7899A0574852.jpeg

The Lotus is running a treat and handling even better for having plenty of air in the tyres and the NSF wheel bolts tightened up - two of them were very loose. Oops. Lucky I noticed that.

No Disco?

in preparation for Eddyfest tomorrow, and with the last* of the nice weather we have treated Cocopop to a bit of a service.

fresh oil, fresh filter, new plugs and then greased the suspension points...

we got this at MiTP especially for this

post-18270-0-27315600-1540060298_thumb.jpg

i used to use now't BUT Duckhams when a youngster, that is until it was discontinued.

i never liked Castrol, especially in stull like an A-series. Jo who owned Cocopop before i did only used Castrol, and we found the inside of the rockerbox covered in like a slimy emulsion that i put down to the Castrol oil. hence why i would not use Castrol...

mucky old oil out

post-18270-0-33997400-1540060310_thumb.jpg

old plugs out, but looking pretty good inspite of been in the engine for a number of years. Cocopop is, looking at them plugs running about bob on.

post-18270-0-04613100-1540060323_thumb.jpg

now the good stuff in

post-18270-0-33764800-1540060345_thumb.jpg

nom, nom, nom..... more please....nom, nom, nom......

post-18270-0-67466800-1540060397_thumb.jpg

and now to see if we make it to Ulverston, we did get home ok and Cocopop is it seams running perfect. oh yes, we also found out from where the engine is leaking oil (what do you espect, its an A-series) and shock, horror, its the gear change oil seal. Again whatcha expect? it is an A-series...... 

that is a job, for another day :-D

oh yes, we also found out from where the engine is leaking oil (what do you espect, its an A-series) and shock, horror, its the gear change oil seal. Again whatcha expect? it is an A-series...... 

that is a job, for another day :-D

I had to do that seal on a Metro once, I utterly destroyed the bush that holds the rod that goes back to the gearstick (the not the gear change rod) and the bush cost more than the bush did.

No Disco?

Sadly not: the Disco had an engine fire back in the summer :-(

I sold it as a going concern though, and it’s likely to live on, probably as a racer. A bit undignified but better than fridges (or whatever they make out of deceased Discoveries).

Sorry.

Unfortunately not, cos it still needs a windscreen for MOT. It runs and drives ok on my private test track (pictured) though. I will shortly be renewing attempts to source a screen and get some bugger to actually turn up and fit it.

*has modern Audi needing windscreen*

*ignores insurance excess and uses 70s Lotus instead*

A U T O S H I T E

(also I need another slider video pls)

[adenoidal voice]I think you'll find we'll be the judge of what is roffle-worthy[/adenoids]

Two randoms please

Haha! If I do roffle it I think even at 1p a pair of tickets is too much.

Coming back from the in-laws this evening it was making a light knocking with engine revs, so no more long journeys for this beast. Unless I win a Roffle, or can find the stuff to rebuilt the engine for £minimal.

MarvinsMom said

"I never liked Castrol, especially in stull like an A-series. Jo who owned Cocopop before i did only used Castrol, and we found the inside of the rockerbox covered in like a slimy emulsion that i put down to the Castrol oil. hence why i would not use Castrol..."

My experience exactly, the A series rocker box always with an emulsion on Castrol and never there using Duckhams which set a pattern as I never used Castrol since the early 1970's.

My experience exactly, the A series rocker box always with an emulsion on Castrol and never there using Duckhams which set a pattern as I never used Castrol since the early 1970's.

i'm glad its not just me that used to find that! 

my thinking was if Castrol oil is doing that in a simple engine like an A-series then what is it doing in something more fancy, what exactly are they putting in the oil to make it do that in the first place??

MarvinsMom said

"I never liked Castrol, especially in stull like an A-series. Jo who owned Cocopop before i did only used Castrol, and we found the inside of the rockerbox covered in like a slimy emulsion that i put down to the Castrol oil. hence why i would not use Castrol..."

i'm glad its not just me that used to find that! 

my thinking was if Castrol oil is doing that in a simple engine like an A-series then what is it doing in something more fancy, what exactly are they putting in the oil to make it do that in the first place??

It's the natural properties of Caster oil, which was one of the additives in Castrol oils from the early 1900s. it makes an emulsified jelly. I remember my late grandad used to talk about the owner of a Morris Cowley with the 1200 B-series, a new customer at his garage. Owner insisted on using Castrol when it came in for servicing. The emulsion it made eventually turned into a jelly and started to narrow the oilways of the engine, and set in the rocker box, so grandad had to give it a full flush, scrape the jellified muck out the rocker box, then refill with fresh.

The jelly muffled the sounds of the rocker gear and the owner complained that the engine now sounded rattly, even though it was a properly set up 1200 B-series.

Not sure if caster oil is still used in their products.

I'm up at my parents' tomorrow, and they've been going through all of grandad's photos. I'll see if I can find some from when he was in the trade (1950's-1988)

MarvinsMom said

The omega owners forum, there's a standard question when someone asks about the emulsion on their 710 cap.

Are you using Castro? If yes, change to something that isn't half water.

I'm going in a cherry picker, got a harness on and everything.

How exciting!

Just hope we're down before my tea goes cold.7b514394f673c4861fabc91097c7b630.jpg

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

How was it? I did a couple of PASMA courses last year and the last one was just me and the trainer. So he offered to take me up on the cherrypicker and let me drive it around because we had some time to kill.

Got to drive it and play with it. Instructor seemed very pleased. Hope you got to have a go, too.

They’re brilliant.

If you let me know the size of the hub nut I will see if I have an impact socket of the correct size then I can come round with the ugga-dugga and hand its arse to it on a plate :)

Haha, I got it in the end with a ratchet and a trolley jack underneath it.

I do appreciate the offer of assistance though!

The daily got a nice new sumpful of Halfords 5w30 this morning ready for the winter months. Only covered 4500 miles since the last one but figured we are running out of nice days so today was as good an opportunity as ever.

Brought to you in conjunction with Mann Filters and Pela Pump. God I love that thing, changes take about 15 minutes start to finish.

Next up - investigation of random bulb failure messages even though the bulb is fine. I suspect it’s a module buried somewhere in the dash so might not bother too much with that one.

Celebrated by making an Apple and Sultana cake. Yeah, it’s fucking hardcore in my house

Flat tyre

attachicon.gif20180930_172003.jpg

New* tyre and wheel boughted

attachicon.gif20181014_182839.jpg

Heavy, so got help from David

attachicon.gif20181020_113046.jpg

attachicon.gif20181020_113231.jpg

New tyre fitted

attachicon.gif20181020_114905.jpg

Bead broken on old tyre

attachicon.gif20181020_164843.jpg

I'll wrestle the old tyre off tomorrow

Perhaps mr 6cyl should check if his is missing a wheel ;-)

Changed the oil again on the 405, only covered 5000 miles since I got it, but it was a nice day.

Unfortunately the Pela pump is nae use for the 405. It can't seem to reach the bottom of the sump and can only remove about 2 and a half litres. Can reach the drain plug without jacking up and it came off with a ratcheting spanner, a useful tool.

Does sticking to 5000 mile intervals with filter change every second time sound reasonable?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk