The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The Grandland advert makes more sense now I've realised it's a PSA brand, not a GM one.

There's signalling, but it's not necessarily virtue signalling. The message is that the old Vauxhall of fat kids and women who go out in their pyjamas is gone. Both the women have taken the time to get dressed, they live in a posh house in the country, they have Radio 3 as a preset on their car radio and they're not bickering all the time.

They missed a trick though, if the passenger had actually calved on the journey they could have shown the Vauxhall's famously versatile seats allowing a comfortable delivery, and the wipe clean 'leather' coming up like new afterwards.

I think it's showing off the speed limiter function that a lot of other cars have these days. Maybe they should have stuck some '30' limit signs on the film shoot road, I think the idea is that she's sticking to a 30 limit. Not that any of this matters.

its just a shame the test track the filmed it on looks like its NSL

My cars have a speed limiter too, in the form of my right foot.

I have to attend a funeral in Aberdeenshire next week. Have to decide whether to take the Acclaim, which is rapidly running out of miles on it's insurance policy or the Dolly which is just generally a bit shit.

ahh was that the week the speedo mysteriously stopped working for about 2476 miles?

BBC News item-

":00 18 Oct

Shoelace held handbrake in place in seized vehicle

A people carrier has been seized by police after officers found the handbrake was being held together by a shoelace.

South Yorkshire PoliceCopyright: South Yorkshire Police

The Bulgarian-registered Mercedes was found at about midday at Parkgate, Rotherham.

South Yorkshire Police said the vehicle had "seen better days" and the driver had been reported"

post-7547-0-74822500-1539922639_thumb.jpg

This is one of those frustrating reports that lacks enough detail to make sense. Was the shoelace inadequate for whatever task it was expected to perform? It looks like the pedal is a parking brake and if so the vehicle probably doesn't even have a handbrake.

BBC News item-

":00 18 Oct

Shoelace held handbrake in place in seized vehicle

A people carrier has been seized by police after officers found the handbrake was being held together by a shoelace.

South Yorkshire PoliceCopyright: South Yorkshire Police

The Bulgarian-registered Mercedes was found at about midday at Parkgate, Rotherham.

South Yorkshire Police said the vehicle had "seen better days" and the driver had been reported"

attachicon.gifa780e812-eaf0-4739-ab3f-f27db59e2eca.jpg

This is one of those frustrating reports that lacks enough detail to make sense. Was the shoelace inadequate for whatever task it was expected to perform? It looks like the pedal is a parking brake and if so the vehicle probably doesn't even have a handbrake.

Ahh Rotherham and it's cultural enrichment showing on the roads again.

TBH I think you're right, it looks like a parking brake pedal with a broken return spring to me too. No idea what car though.

Looks like the retaining spring has snapped - gone awol - so it's tied up to stop it triggering the auto handbrake mech that is probably electric! A bodge. Only thing is - if that was caught/snapped accidentally whilst in motion - cue handbrake lockup and all kinds of mayhem I suspect...... 

The connectors in the car for the gauges were awful! Really discoloured and oxidised. I cleaned them with a fibreglass scratch pen (for watches really) and contact cleaner. Brought them up a treat icon_smile.gif I now seem to have a fuel gauge that reads higher, a voltmeter that climbs out of 'discharge' a temperature gauge that was well on its way to the 'N' mark. The oil pressure gauge now reads higher as well, but not what I wanted! Still goes straight to the top as soon as the ignition is turned on, it used to go about 80% of the way to the top, now hard up against the stop.

I did also put in a secondary 'earth' lead because it seemed like a good idea as these damn things have so many earthing problems.

So, partial success but I think the oil pressure gauge itself is fubar, let it warm up quite a way, heater works well as do all the fans etc also got to use the fabric glue I bought for the headliner, one of the trim pieces that go round the clocks had come away so glued it all back also used it to stick the screw to the screwdriver so I could get the last screw right into the corner of the dash, properly recessed by about an inch and nothing else would do the job.

405 just shat it's coolant.

Fucksticks.

On the brightside, it's happened right outside our house.

I maintain they are considerate bastards, mine has only ever failed to start the one day I had jump leads in the boot.

I'd left the interior light on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk