The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

After driving the 205 yesterday I thought that I really don't need two small French hatchbacks, and I should do something about the other one.

The other is a Clio 1.4 auto that has been in the naughty corner for the last 12 months or so ...  It was an accidental purchase, the exhaust broke on the way home and I think there is something wrong with the suspension, the rear looked too high, although it looks fine now.

Anyhoo, with a little help from it's Gallic friend it sprung in to life and moved under it's own power.

post-4715-0-38478600-1538489903_thumb.jpg

Then the engine died, it wouldn't re-start and I pushed it in to another corner. 

The battery is now on charge and I might have another try later this week … or stick it up for sale as a project.

In the brief time it was running it was a lovely place to sit 

post-4715-0-84502500-1538490071_thumb.jpg

Oh wow I like that a lot. How's the gearbox?

In the 130 miles I drove it home last year it was absolutely fine.

It is the 1.4 though, not 1.8, so less power through the box. The car is really low mileage as well, 25k or something daft.

Those pics flatter the Clio, it has horrendous lacquer peel on the bonnet and other places.

Picked up the C3 today and drove it the two miles to my mechanics where it will have a cambelt fitted and a couple of other jobs doing. Saturday it is going to Barnsley (hopefully) to fetch an exhaust for the Maxi. I knew very little about these apart from seeing many around and liking the shape, it seems very 2CV-esque although I believe Citroen disliked such comparisons at the time.

It seems a bonny little thing, it has the 1.6 16V engine fitted which certainly moves it along quite quickly and it is the Exclusive top of the range model so has aircon, alloy wheels, front and rear foglamps and velour trim. I get the impression it could be Renault 14 like in bends as it feels like it has very soft suspension and possibly some body roll. It doesn't feel quite as solid as my 206 did and I am not too sure what I think of the digital dash yet. I might enjoy owning a modern(ish) car after all! I may get some photo's over the weekend if it is considered autoshite enough?  

I like those C3s. My mum had two from new and they were largely fine. One survived 11 years with just servicing...pretty sure it didn't ever have a belt change. Sadly it was recently scrapped, RIP RV55OBA.

The digital speedometer is a bit crud though.

I think I am going to like it, it seems to have a bit of character about it. Sadly it doesn't have much history although I know it has had a coil pack, lambda sensor and spark plugs in the last two years, it has only done 80,000 miles and has a good MOT history. It may have had a belt at some point but I don't fancy risking it and for me it is worth doing.

I heard you had to do that on the Megane series 2 I didn't realise you had to on these as well! Will avoid going out in the dark lol!

Try a Megane II with the optional xenon headlights.  I still have the scars. Mental and physical.

Take it to Halfords for that. Get then to do it outside in the rain under that crap canopy.

That's what we said to our colleague after about an hour of making our hands bleed. We said it'd be the best eight quid he'd ever spend. 

I heard you had to do that on the Megane series 2 I didn't realise you had to on these as well! Will avoid going out in the dark lol!

Megane 2 has an access hatch via the wheel arch nobody seems to know about.

It's probably all changed now, but when I was still working as a parts desk monkey for Halfords we had a DO NOT ATTEMPT list to go with the 'We'll Fit It!' promo stuff for headlight bulbs.

The Megane 2 was on it, as was the Audi TT (needed to remove a large amount of plastic fairing from the slam panel to gain access) and the Rover 600 (or was it the 75?) with aircon, as the coolant pipe ran straight across the back of the offside headlight and was easy to damage while trying to swap bulbs.

I usually had a crack at them anyway, generally because standing out in the pissing rain was still preferable to being in the store with Radio 1 sapping my will to live and having endless circular arguments with customers about why Halfords Online had different prices to the stores (short answer - two separate companies).

I don't remember having particular problems fitting bulbs to C3s, but the Megane 2 was an utter swine. Steering wheel on full lock, access via a dinky little hatch in the arch, and I still lacked enough wrists and elbows to get my hand up inside to do the job properly.

Sharp edges around the access hatch didn't help - I was once given a leaflet about help for self-harm by a well-meaning individual after having fitted a Megane bulb earlier in the day. It did look pretty bad, admittedly.

I don't remember having particular problems fitting bulbs to C3s, but the Megane 2 was an utter swine. Steering wheel on full lock, access via a dinky little hatch in the arch, and I still lacked enough wrists and elbows to get my hand up inside to do the job properly.

pretend your putting your hand up a posh girls dress ?

Went out to Tesco at about 9.30 this evening and the heater blower for the LDV was sat on the doorstep.  Definitely wasn't there when I got in from work at 7, and I didn't hear any knock on the door, but whatevs.  I took it down to the van to make sure it was the right bit, and fitting it turned out to be about a 3 minute job (unlike on, say, a Fiat Stilo).  So the van now has a working blower.  It only works on the highest setting as the resistor appears to have also gone MIA, but I can live with that.  I'm going to have to rejig the directional control for the heater though as the pinion isn't quite where it should be on the sliding rack with the result that I can't currently direct air to the windscreen, but that should be easy enough to do in the daylight.

CV joint for the Audi also turned up today - all looks good, except that the hub bolt has a recessed hex head which is going to need a massive Allen key to do up - which I don't possess.  No sign of any of the Rover bits yet either.