The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Wheels look Alfa to me. Unless they're Ronals...

As for other stuff, Laguna splitter (of course it is), and chrome trim delete.

Wheels are Ronals.

Chrome trim delete is correct (and is as a stock L should be anyway)

Front end is French but no Renaults were burgled

Side skirts are German in origin.

19 news from the past week. After binning the trims the wheels needed a tidy up.

Before

post-5013-0-80724800-1538344843_thumb.jpg

After. Not the best job but it'll do.

post-5013-0-49568000-1538344919_thumb.jpg

Whilst the rear wheels were off I also wire brushed the rather crusty brake drums and suspension components, and bathed the latter in Dynax S50. I also coated the fuel tank as that looked crusty in places.

It was hesitating quite badly under light throttle, so carb cleaner was applied plus a new air filter and it seems better. Not totally sorted but less pronounced.

I also took it for a run today down to Dungeness. I left hideously early at 4.30am in order to see the sun rise at the RSPB reserve, and it was worth it.

post-5013-0-00668500-1538345644_thumb.jpg

ATCNBE

post-5013-0-71741400-1538345797_thumb.jpg

Apart from a slight hot start issue, raising the revs once it's fired seems to work, 140 miles were done without issue. So on that basis I reckon it's good for a day trip to France next Saturday, for a mooch around the Picardy region and a visit 'home' to the George Besse factory in Douai. I'm not sure how close you can get to the plant, but I'm sure I'll find some Renault signage for a photo opp.

I've been watching woodturning videos and now I want a lathe.

Watch some wood turning accident videos and you will never want to see one again.

I used to have one myself. I was experienced at using it but I had the chisel fly out of my hands and stab itself into my face mask.

I sold it on gumtree later that week.

Getting antsy about houses now. The chances of us moving in December is getting higher with every passing week. We at least have a new shortlist, frustratingly some of the houses on the shortlist are properites that sold before we got to view them the first time around much earlier in the year and that makes me think there's probably something wrong with them and we'll have the same sort of merry old dance that has caused us to have three failed purchases so far.

I only need to give one month notice on my current place, bf needs to give 2. That, combined with the predicted 4-6 weeks of paperwork from the point you agree to buy the house to being allowed to move in does not give me much confidence that there's enough time for it to happen this year.

If I never take part in trying to buy another house, it will be too soon.

The only quick way of buying is to buy at auction.

For that to happen you need either money in the bank or a lot of credit cards with massive credit limits.

MX5 national rally was achieved yesterday...

339DB9E9-8D32-428A-92FF-385CFA16B585.jpeg

It was ok, but nowhere near as fun and friendly as SaabFest to be honest.

Still 300 miles covered in the MX and she ran spot on!

Despite driving 95 miles last night in the dark and pissing down rain arriving in Wolverhampton before midnight, I can say is rather did that than attend such a gathering.

For a little while we paid to be in the club for insurance purposes, but the monthly magazine smugness made me want to seek out the contributors and punch them in the fanny.

Bought these for $4.68. I was going to use them as spares to go in the car but I think I'll use my other set as spares and these as my main. Apparently metric but the imperial size pretty much goes from 0.003 inch, in 0.001 increments, to 0.032inch.

db7efd5147d7621fe3d87ac9ddd848e6.jpg

https://m.banggood.com/0038-to-0889mm-32-Blade-Feeler-Gauge-Thickness-Gap-Metric-Gauge-p-931960.html

I was experienced at using it but I had the chisel fly out of my hands and stab itself into my face mask.

Yes, well... spinny things and hand-held blades aren't exactly an ideal combination. I had wondered why folks seemed to wear a face mask rather than just goggles. Still want a lathe.

Just put the roof lining back in the car. A LOT harder than taking it out, but then, taking it out was a piece of piddle! The cloth isn't quite in the perfect spot as the holes for all the fixtures don't 'quite' line up perfectly but you try and re-fit the same cloth with contact glue! The only really tricky bit was getting the roof under the rear window rubber, just fiddly and made awkward because my left arm is duff... yes, I am left-handed! There is the 'odd' stain here and there, in part 'cos I cut my finger and there are now vampire traces - let's get CSI on the job they'll have it condemned as a scene of a mass murder with a bad clean-up job :)

I was going to do the horn (or at least, look) and take the dash out, but I know my arm will be bad so let's quit while we are winning!

Still got to sort out the idle speed and top-up the water/anti-freeze/Barrs leaks after its drain and refill, but it can wait until tomorrow.

Started to sort out my Yaris today. I think the £250 I gave for it might of been a bit generous. The front pads had been changed but they didn't do the warped and badly worn discs, so new discs fitted. The drivers door window didn't work and made some horrid noises. It turns out the window had been broken and rather than actually fit the window properly they just put the new glass in. They didn't even bother connecting the glass to the regulator, caused the regulator arms to get bent. A bit of messing about and emptying all the broken glass out of the door has got that sorted. I am now waiting for bit's including a couple of tyres that were under £70 for 2 toyo proxy's. It really did need them.

post-5515-0-83345300-1538413448_thumb.jpg

post-5515-0-27667200-1538413483_thumb.jpg

Started to sort out my Yaris today. I think the £250 I gave for it might of been a bit generous. The front pads had been changed but they didn't do the warped and badly worn discs, so new discs fitted. The drivers door window didn't work and made some horrid noises. It turns out the window had been broken and rather than actually fit the window properly they just put the new glass in. They didn't even bother connecting the glass to the regulator, caused the regulator arms to get bent. A bit of messing about and emptying all the broken glass out of the door has got that sorted. I am now waiting for bit's including a couple of tyres that were under £70 for 2 toyo proxy's. It really did need them.

attachicon.gifoct 18 001.JPG

attachicon.gifoct 18 002.JPG

Fuuucccccckkkkkk....!!!!

It was an advisory at the last test in December and done about 10k since. I think the poor thing hasn't seen any maintenance in years. It does have new suspension arms though and for some reason is really clean under the bonnet. It will get a service and a bit of a claen up then can be put to work as a loan car.

Ford Motor Company getting into deep water over their issues with 1.0 & 1.6 EcoBoom engines.

Cost savings gone too far.........?

We checked my colleagues 64 plate focus on the gov.uk checker. It shows a recall as of the 30th sept. His is the 1litre ecoboost. Mot due in a fortnight too, which woke him up as he thought it was the end of the month.

Head gasket set for 416GTi: about £130.

On Rock Auto, I can get a cambelt, water pump, and gasket set for roughly the same price.

Head is coming off for all that, and a decoke and stem seal replacement.

The exhaust will be dropped too to accommodate: not sure it'll be going back on as is, mind...

A bit more flow would go a long way - the engine is already choked by the gearbox.

Yes, well... spinny things and hand-held blades aren't exactly an ideal combination. I had wondered why folks seemed to wear a face mask rather than just goggles. Still want a lathe.

I also used to ware a full leather welders overcoat.

But I must admit, they are jolly good fun!

I got sick of the shitty, ugly boot in the Mini.

post-17021-0-82897000-1538441255_thumb.jpg

So at lunchtime today I bought some MDF and made this:

post-17021-0-73524800-1538441391_thumb.jpg

The (not pictured) right panel pulls out to access the washer reservoir and then the base lifts out to access the battery, wheel etc. I looked at what some other people have made and while they looked very cool, they also looked like complete nightmares if you needed to get to the spare wheel on a rainy hard shoulder!