The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Poor thing. Well rusty though!

Aye it's been getting worse and worse. Rear arch now completely non existent for one. MOT expired and it died, Craig bought it for parts. Interior is going in a Henley Blue 216GSi of his, and I've taken the front end, and a few lights and trim bits.

When the shell is stripped it's getting sent round the oval.

While the GTi is now relatively straight again, today's 300 mile jaunt has shown it's not in top fettle.

-torque converter doesn't lock up

-tappets are getting noisy again

-engine seems to have a bit of a flat power band - clean injectors/decoke/check ignition parts

-exhaust seems to be blowing at the manifest or downpipe.

All hopefully easy stuff, but annoying nonetheless.

I took advantage of a brief flicker of mojo this afternoon and did the rear brake shoes on the 45.  It wasn't actually too bad of a job once I'd worked out what went where, but if I ever meet the bloke who designed those fucking spring clips he's going to get a boot in the knackers.  I'm hoping the brake hoses come undone OK tomorrow - they haven't been on there that long I don't think (they're daft braided things fitted by the previous owner) so hopefully they won't be completely seized, although I've given them a good soaking in GT85 anyway.  The replacement hoses are surprisingly expensive - 25 quid a side from the local motor factor.  I could have got them off eBay for 15 quid each but I really need to get them done tomorrow so the car is mobile.

Last night a mate and I between us managed to get the nearside wishbone bushes done on the Audi, which was the last thing standing between it and an MOT before I fucked up the CV joint (although I think it may have already had issues as there was no circlip on the driveshaft).  I'm not even going to attempt to repair it, as I don't really know what I'm doing and the consequences of it letting go at speed don't bear thinking about - I've found a new CV joint kit on eBay for 15 quid delivered (including a new circlip) so I'm just going to fit that instead.

My dad has had fun ringing round getting quotes for the x1/9- he’s the registered keeper. Renewal from footman James was £60 increase. Got better quotes from peter best, peter James, and Lancaster. Called FJ back and got a better price than the renewal and cheaper than the other quotes. Why are these games necessary?

I’ve just had the renewal through from aviva for the daily merc. It’s gone up £8 since last year. My smallest ever premium increase in 30 years, so I can’t be bothered to look elsewhere and will renew next month. £548 which covers uk and eu breakdown cover ( for a 24 year old car), legal expenses, courtesy car, etc.

I'm probably in a minority here, but I'm not a massive fan of driving the classic Saab 900. 

As a kid I always wanted a 900 T16 and I had posters of them on my wall. I eventually bought a 2 door notchback T16s, arguably the best handling, as they're more rigid than the hatchback. It handled like a long jellyfish. The engine is fantastic, and is great in a straight line, but on twisty roads it was no fun. My Alfa 155 and Thema were much better handling cars. The Thema was also much more comfortable. I kept the car for about 2 years and tried to like it, but I never did.

I've not driven a GM 900 or anything later than a classic 900, so can't comment on those.

I do think I need to try a 9000, similar platform to the Thema, and I did like the Saab turbo engine.

I'm with you. Owned a 900 16v which went through a few on here and just didn't get on with it. There wasn't one thing about it that I actually liked. My 9000 was better, but a bit too wobbly barge for the roads of Wales. Like most big barges to be fair. XM excepted.

Fair play regarding the Saabs, they don't sound like my cup of tea now!

In other news the silver XM went yesterday. I got to drive it for about a mile and it was lovely. Soft leather, decent feeling plastics...the bill (and potential bills) soured it mind.

Very glad I've got a VSX TurboCT to go and get next weekend.

Evenin all

Now I know that NASCAR isn't much liked in Blighty,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but, this is going to be a bit special.

Charlotte Motor Speedway has been modified to include a road course inside the oval track, and has been christened the "roval". Instead of blasting round and round the oval they now come off the corner banking and onto the road  course for about half a mile before rejoining the oval.........which now has a chicane added to it. This is the first time it's ever been raced on and I'm watching practice day right now....2.2 miles of carnage.

This one will be worth watching.

Saturday evening around 7ish your time for the less powerful cars.

Sunday evening around 7ish for the highly powered cup cars.

Enjoy, this ones gonna be good !

Fair play regarding the Saabs, they don't sound like my cup of tea now!

In other news the silver XM went yesterday. I got to drive it for about a mile and it was lovely. Soft leather, decent feeling plastics...the bill (and potential bills) soured it mind.

Very glad I've got a VSX TurboCT to go and get next weekend.

Dibs on the TCT XM, if it's an auto ;)

My old work van failed its MOT for crispiness this year. 2007 Transit. 

30/07/2018 14:00 Fail

Mileage:
142,017 miles
+ 1,600 miles travelled since last MOT.
Refusal Notices
  • Offside front brake pipe excessively corroded to rear (1.1.11 ©)
  • Nearside seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced foot step (7.1.1 (a) (i))
  • Offside seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced foot step (7.1.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside front seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced to rear sill (7.1.1 (a) (i))
  • Offside front seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced to rear sill (7.1.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside rear suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected floor (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
  • Offside rear suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected floor (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
  • Offside rear suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected corner (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
  • Nearside rear suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected floor (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
  • Offside rear suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected floor (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
  • Nearside rear inner suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected arch (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
  • Offside rear inner suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected arch (5.3.6 (a) (ii))
  • Offside rear tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (5.2.3 (d) (i))
  • Offside suspension arm ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 ( B) (ii))
  • Nearside front wheel bearing rough when rotated (5.1.3 ( B) (i))
  • Rear service brake excessively fluctuating (1.2.1 (e))
  • Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))
Advisory Notices
  • Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside front inner rod end has play
  • Under van is corroded

I have had at least a dozen classic 900s of varying flavours (from 8 valve carb to full blown T16S) and I never really had any issues with the handling, except on the convertible I drove once which felt like it had been sawn in half behind the bulkhead and tied back together with hairy string.  My last T16S was my daily for nearly a year until the head gasket let go, and I got quite adept at hustling it along shite Norfolk B-roads.  The steering takes a bit of getting used to in tighter corners though, due to the lack of any Ackerman geometry.  The 99 is actually a better handling car than the 900 ('cos shorter overhangs and better weight distribution), but the 99 never came with PAS so the better balance is offset by the amount of arm twirling you have to do as you wind the massive steering wheel through its 8 turns lock to lock.

I never did rate the 9000's handling - I've had loads of those as well (even did a track day in one once) and they are good at sweeping corners but always feel like a massive unwieldy understeery barge in tighter bends.  The exception being the Carlsson, which was a revelation compared to a "normal" 9000.

GM 900s aren't brilliant either - they're a bit soft and wobbly and understeery.  The same shape 9-3 is a marked improvement, although even that isn't going to trouble a 205 GTI down a twisty road.  The later saloon 9-3 is better, although it's a tweaked Vectra C underneath so it's safe rather than exciting.