The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Beaten to it on the suspension arms........ deathly bad so please do check! 

Inner wings lower down rust through too - subframe mounts go quite badly and result in great* handling quirks. 

Ex had one - it was rotten and fucked underneath by the time it was 5yrs old - she bought it new!....... of course I wasn't there when the garage ripped her off for repairs*. They didn't put it back together again properly - the welding they did was horrendous - and the entire intake manifold came off while we were on the motorway....... Managed to get into a services and buy an adjustable and socket set  and bodged it together. It had mullered the cable to throttle so I ripped apart the rear wiper and used the metal strip insert to mangle it. Got us the 50KM home. 

Sadly it was stolen* and burned out - right in front of the garages workshop access - that had done the previous work...... legal case for shoddy/not done work went on for almost 4yrs..... 

Understandably I can't stomach the little fuckers now - worst vehicle I have ever come into contact with......... 

Hope yours is a good one! 

At a glance *touch underseal* it looks OK but I'll certainly be keeping a beady eye on it.

It just went through it's MOT. It doesn't owe me much, if it can soldier on through the winter and bring me scrap money then it isn't the end of the world but I think there's a lot more life in it than that. 

I'm really taken by it, in contrast to your unfortunate experience, the heater/ventilation is magic and it's about the narrowest thing I've driven so can be parked anywhere you wish. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I'd bought it new over a three year old Fabia or something right enough.  It's pretty rustic.

My 806 went for mot today. I really thought it was the end after nearly 3 years of ownership, but it looks like it will live again !!!!!. This year it actually failed on the power steering leak (I will admit it had got a little worse lately) and a ball joint gaiter. So for the sake of a couple of o rings on the steering pipes and a ball joint boot the poor old thing lives for another year. It has been such a great car after buying it off here for £150 (I think). It looks rough as a badgers arse but just keeps going and going. Maybe this year it will get a bit of love and the new exhaust that has been bodged up for the last year or so. I might even send the instrument panel off to fix the rev counter and mileometer that packed in a couple of months ago. (I am sending a Focus one off for repair on Monday so might get a better deal having it done at the same time). I really thought it would die this year and even went as far as buying a C8 to replace it with. Now I don't know what to do but suspect the C8 will be up for sale if anyone wants one.

Old Man is busy rattle canning knackered wheeltrims and sticking the GSi's headlining back up with contact adhesive. It's an improvement, it needed doing. Not a perfect job but passable. The car is a bit rough around the edges anyway so it's not out of place.

Anyone in need of a WBoD?

Ah, New Lanark. I grew up just up the hill in (old?) Lanark.

Scotoshite happening tomorrow Circa half 7pm ish at the Marstons pub in Armadale if you're still in the area!

It is indeed New Lanark. A friend lives nearby and I went to see him.

I met Lacquer Peel at Abington services and, because he did a WTF when he saw under the bonnet, I ended up working out what the weird schrader valved pipes did on the suspension towers (they're aids to the engine mounts; if the going gets really rough, pressurised antifreeze reacts against the strain and they stiffen up).

Alas, the car is back down South with me in the Fens now.

Bought a new multi-meter today. Good old Halfords, £8. Then 'trade card' happened and it was a fiver! I don't suppose it is brilliant but I can't find my good one because garage full of other peoples shit, but as my electrical expertise goes as far as checking volts are where they should be and around the correct quantity of same, oh and continuity, I can check that as well, then it's good enough for me.

There was a documentary on that building posted above on TV recently, looks interesting and very cool :)

Have you tried giving it a good charge off the car? If there is a smart* alternator fitted it may not want to charge a flat battery..

It must be charging it a bit as the car works as a daily and hasn't gone completely flat. Pretty sure that the battery is original to the car, so ten years old. £76 for a new one from ECP. I do struggle to justify spending that on this car. But I probably won't if it conks out and looses a cell at a really inconvenient time.

xtriple

"..I am beginning to look a little like a starvation case - well under 11 stone now and my 32" belt, which already had an extra hole punched thru, is too loose again.."

I have elusive dreams that one day I might dwell upon my profile similarly..... I say 'dream' [sigh]

I tried really hard yesterday to nosh a bit more than usual, couldn't. So at about 11:00 p.m. I started eating chocolate (Gold bars are lush !  :)   ) and drinking tea with 4 sugars! It may not be good for me but at least it's calories, right?

My lack of appetite may have had something to do with the simple fact I felt like death. A couple of days working on that bloody car (love it really) reminded me why I pay for work on cars nowadays. Back, legs and most painful, left arm and shoulder. Utter agony and so wearing. I know I don't 'feel' most of the pain (which is a worry) because of Fentanyl but when it really hurts, I start to feel sick and dizzy. By 3:30 yesterday afternoon I just wanted to curl up and sleep (or die, whichever) but couldn't because of life and other shit. When I did get the opportunity for a bit of a snooze, it lasted about ten minutes as every time I moved, I woke myself up!

But, I did do the work myself so regardless of success or otherwise, I know it was done and possibly, done right! I need to get the headlining out to sort out the droop but, even though the weather is playing ball, I am going to give it a miss and try and have a quiet day. I have ordered the glue though so something achieved at least :)