The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I'm sure.

Temperatures went down to -1 on brother's Camry at 6 in the morning. Frosted some plants and I need to re-pot two hazels and plant a willow by then. Oh well, they're hardy enough I guess.

Yeah the mrs headed out for the station about 6:30 this morning and had to get hot water on the windscreen. My car was still iced over two hours later. This is nr. York.

First frost - timed to the equinox. This is a drastically bad portent for the coming winter, in ancient celtic and pictish meteorology lore.

See - it's that frosty equinox. Already weird things are happening.

The ancients. Their wisdom is beyond our ken, I telt yae. Beyond our very ken!!

Not only that but I deleted that post 3 times and it's still there.

I guess what's app needs more antifreeze

It does rather, doesn't it! Why do I keep doing this to myself? 

Could be worse, if it was the Bentley you have been £2k into this repair by now. ;)

I have the shame of having put a car to its first MOT and failing... (The Abarth)

My '08 Yaris failed it's first MOT, headlight alignment on both sides!. Must have been wrong from the factory!

Odd I commented right after xtriple and my post was aimed at him. I didn't get a warning anyone else had posted like I normally do.

I saw it and liked it. I did wonder the same myself but googling has just thrown all manner of nasty (expensive) circuit board faults - poo!

Oh yes, while we are having a grump, I took the heap for a run round the block just to see what's what and the roof lining, already sagging on one side, fell completely upon ones swede!

I wouldn't mind so much but this roof lining is one of the new fandango fibreglass jobbies that is supposed to be 'excellent'!

It fair flattened my spikes...

I saw it and liked it. I did wonder the same myself but googling has just thrown all manner of nasty (expensive) circuit board faults - poo!

Time for a posh soldering iron & an enjoyable* evening of sorting it then? Something to look forward to about as much as I did when I had to cut open the fuseboxes on my XJ40 to fix them.

Time for a posh soldering iron & an enjoyable* evening of sorting it then? Something to look forward to about as much as I did when I had to cut open the fuseboxes on my XJ40 to fix them.

Sadly oh great and wise Hooli, I cannot solder to save my life! I have tried and tried with a variety of cheap/expensive irons and I would be better off just setting fire to the item to be soldered at the outset! I can weld with Gas, Mig and stick, I can braze with gas, but soldering is one of those 'blindspots' we sometimes have. Oh yeah, I have also had some small (very small) success welding aluminium fins back on a 2 stroke engine casing!

In other news, I have had a pretty shitty day so while buoyed by my lack of success I have attacked my hair with the hedge trimmers (clippers) and sorted out my rampant beard back to my usual scruffy goatee. I have been a trifle 'down' of late and so I tend to let my appearance go (no great loss) and forget to eat. When my son came down at the last weekend, he gave me a severe bollacking for how thin I am, I must admit, I am beginning to look a little like a starvation case - well under 11 stone now and my 32" belt, which already had an extra hole punched thru, is too loose again.

Obviously, while shaving I actually had to look in a mirror (not for the feint hearted) and it seems my face is disappearing into my cheeks and wrinkles are now adorning my previously smooth and unlined face :)  Oh well...

...When my son came down at the last weekend, he gave me a severe bollacking for how thin I am, I must admit, I am beginning to look a little like a starvation case - well under 11 stone now and my 32" belt, which already had an extra hole punched thru, is too loose again....

It may not be too late to retrain as a jockey....

Ahh I'm the other way. I can solder ok but welding is a black art of the impossible that I can not fathom.

Same here. I solder etched brass and nickel-silver kits - lead-free solder is useless and I avoid it; only traditional poisonous solder for me.

post-23014-0-17766500-1537830329_thumb.jpg

post-23014-0-57129000-1537830477_thumb.jpg

post-23014-0-35441500-1537830581_thumb.jpg

Every time my Abarth was in the garage they tried to sell me an air con cleanse for £69, which was just one of these bombs. Even when it went in at a few weeks old for some warranty work "Recommend aircon cleanse £69"

They do work OK on old stinky cars mind, but change the pollen filter first

Off work today so got a few bits done - not as much as I'd intended as despite getting up early (to go to the dentist - all good on the tooth front thankfully) I didn't actually get off my arse and start doing stuff until about 12.

Fitted a split CV boot to the Rover 45 - a lot of people seem to think that these are the spawn of Satan but I've never had a problem with them - the one I fitted to the Rover of Doom is still doing sterling service four years later.  The old boot was a bit of a twat to get off and because it had been split for quite a while there was grease everyfuggingwhere, so I spent quite a bit of time cleaning up bits of suspension, but the new one went on easily enough.  Except that the two jubilee clips I'd bought to hold the fat end on (couldn't find a single clip long enough) wouldn't fit together - they were the same size and on the same rack in the shop, packaging was slightly different but I didn't take a lot of notice of that, but turns out they are completely different threads and thus not compatible - so I'll have to go and buy another one tomorrow, but that should be a 10 minute job.  Then I can book it in for a test - hopefully get it in this week so I have time to sort out whatever it might need by the weekend.

I just managed to catch the courier delivering the new wishbone for the Audi before he buggered back off up the road, so I fitted that this afternoon as well.  It was a perfect fit and would have been another 10-minute job were it not for the fact that the (separate) ball joint is adjustable (presumably to enable some camber adjustment) and it took me a while to get it fixed in the same place as the old one - especially since tightening the bolts was a two-handed job ('cos Nyloc nuts) so I didn't have a free hand to hold the thing in place.  Got there eventually though.  Tomorrow's job is to whip the NS wishbone off and see if that's any more receptive to the idea of being fitted with new bushes than the OS was.

I've also been having a bit of a poke around my fancy* new* van.

post-190-0-05197900-1537826859_thumb.jpg

It's a bit scruffy and the paint is somewhat pogweaseled in places, but that bothers me not a jot - in fact I prefer my vans to be slightly on the scruffy side.  It's surprisingly dent free for a Maxus though. 

It does have a few issues which will want sorting - the heater fan doesn't work (which is less than ideal at this time of year), it needs a tyre, and the offside back door needs sorting as it's rather bent and the latch mechanism is off (it had to be broken into when the previous owner's apprentice locked the keys in there), and it's currently held more or less closed with a padlock.  Also the EDC light is on, but the code reader isn't showing any faults and the van is not down on power, so I'm going to assume it's the diesel filter which needs changing (it does look pretty ancient to be fair).

None of those are complaints - the seller was up front with most of the issues, and for what I paid for the van the fact that it's MOTd and capable of forward motion is more than enough - anything else is a bonus (including the DAB radio - the first time I've ever had a digital radio in a vehicle - can't tell you if the sound quality is any better though as it's playing through the original LDV speakers which are shite).  The seller reckoned he'd taken it to a garage who had looked at the heater fan and determined that the motor is OK, it's the switch / resistor pack which is FUBAR - so I'm probably going to just wire in a separate switch for now anyway.

Sadly oh great and wise Hooli, I cannot solder to save my life! I have tried and tried with a variety of cheap/expensive irons and I would be better off just setting fire to the item to be soldered at the outset! I can weld with Gas, Mig and stick, I can braze with gas, but soldering is one of those 'blindspots' we sometimes have. Oh yeah, I have also had some small (very small) success welding aluminium fins back on a 2 stroke engine casing!

In other news, I have had a pretty shitty day so while buoyed by my lack of success I have attacked my hair with the hedge trimmers (clippers) and sorted out my rampant beard back to my usual scruffy goatee. I have been a trifle 'down' of late and so I tend to let my appearance go (no great loss) and forget to eat. When my son came down at the last weekend, he gave me a severe bollacking for how thin I am, I must admit, I am beginning to look a little like a starvation case - well under 11 stone now and my 32" belt, which already had an extra hole punched thru, is too loose again.

Obviously, while shaving I actually had to look in a mirror (not for the feint hearted) and it seems my face is disappearing into my cheeks and wrinkles are now adorning my previously smooth and unlined face :) Oh well...

I have a soldering certificate from Lucas Automotive.