Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The new news 24 thread

• Please log in to reply
52423 replies to this topic

#52231 OFFLINE   Semi-C

Semi-C

• Full Members
  • 647 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationEast Angliaaargh

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

That looks mighty tidy! Is it four sail? ;)
(Hides screen from wife)

Alas, it is not for sale, but I'll pass your enquiry on to the owner. Sorry about that.

#52232 OFFLINE   chodweaver

chodweaver

• Full Members
  • 1,656 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationCongleton

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

Ah, sorry. While I have a character flaw in liking these old buckets, I am in no way in a position to buy one. I wuz being facetious.

Sorry for being misleading.

Vomit colour Corsa 1.4 Comfort badermatic (the one constant, reliable thing in my life /Quentin)

XM 2.1 SEDTurbo (leaky driveway ornament)

Chrysler Graf Spee Limited 3.3 + LPG (suspected OMGHG, ABS, AC and driver's seat heater failures)

LT Multicruiser (guest bedroom and backup kitchen)

Mk1 MR2 (rumours of its health are lies)

(I'm sure I've forgotten at least one...)

#52233 OFFLINE   Semi-C

Semi-C

• Full Members
  • 647 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationEast Angliaaargh

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

Faeces-tious you say, how appropriate.

(Just joshing, I didn't think it was that bad actually)
  • chodweaver likes this

#52234 OFFLINE   dean36014

dean36014

• Full Members
  • 1,156 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationCoventry

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

Currently broke down in the xm with a massive lhm leak. Time to test out how good Autoaid really are. On the bright side at least I made it in Tesco so I've snorted down a few donuts and having a coffee.
  • loserone, Lacquer Peel, Jim Bell and 1 other like this

1987 Citroen BX 17RD

1991 Citroen BX TGD

2004 Citroen Xsara Enterprise

1996 Citroen XM 2.0i 16v auto.

#52235 OFFLINE   chodweaver

chodweaver

• Full Members
  • 1,656 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationCongleton

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:35 AM

Currently broke down in the xm with a massive lhm leak. Time to test out how good Autoaid really are. On the bright side at least I made it in Tesco so I've snorted down a few donuts and having a coffee.

Liked for donuts and an imminent review of Autoaid services, not so much the ftp of an XM or the concomitant inconvenience and cost.

Pics or it didn't happen, though.
  • Datsuncog likes this

Vomit colour Corsa 1.4 Comfort badermatic (the one constant, reliable thing in my life /Quentin)

Chrysler Graf Spee Limited 3.3 + LPG (suspected OMGHG, ABS, AC and driver's seat heater failures)

#52236 OFFLINE   bramz7

bramz7

• Full Members
  • 1,919 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

Wondered why all the new window wash in the 605 wasn't going on the screen, it's all going from on the ground as there is a leak. How do I even get to the bottle?!
Also it's still slow starting. It's so bad I think the 11 with half choke would start quicker.

#52237 OFFLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 9,777 posts
  • 27 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:45 AM

Did you replace the battery?

#52238 OFFLINE   bramz7

bramz7

• Full Members
  • 1,919 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

Yes.

#52239 OFFLINE   dean36014

dean36014

• Full Members
  • 1,156 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationCoventry

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

Right quick Autoaid review. Arrived in one hour and twenty minutes in a proper recovery vehicle as advised to them on the phone, because Citroen and hydraulics. First class service and can't complain for forty odd quid a year.
IMG_20180810_121625.jpg
IMG_20180810_121506.jpg
  • loserone, Skizzer, Lacquer Peel and 12 others like this

1987 Citroen BX 17RD

1991 Citroen BX TGD

#52240 OFFLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 9,777 posts
  • 27 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:54 AM

Liked for the service, not the green leak. Where is it leaking from.

Brammy is it always difficult to start or is it just from cold?
  • oldcars likes this

#52241 OFFLINE   chodweaver

chodweaver

• Full Members
  • 1,656 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationCongleton

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

Liked for the service, not the green leak. Where is it leaking from?

Ditto. From the puddle it looks in line with the reservoir but it could be pipework under the floorpan I guess.

#52242 OFFLINE   dean36014

dean36014

• Full Members
  • 1,156 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationCoventry

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:10 PM

Leak is from nearside rear by suspension arm. I'm hoping it's not the ram. It can go in the queue of cars to be fixed.

1987 Citroen BX 17RD

1991 Citroen BX TGD

#52243 OFFLINE   bramz7

bramz7

• Full Members
  • 1,919 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:28 PM

Liked for the service, not the green leak. Where is it leaking from.

Brammy is it always difficult to start or is it just from cold?

Okay I think it's worst cold, so it must be glow plugs. I'm sure they are a nightmare to do on an XUD11.

#52244 OFFLINE   bramz7

bramz7

• Full Members
  • 1,919 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:47 PM

Anyway, in more car purchase related news, the 405s departure to Holbeck a few weeks back made my commuting policy spare again, and with helping my brother move and the need to make several tip runs coming up, i was on the look out for something modernish that I could abuse for a short while.

So I found a C5 estate, not that far away (turns out the journey will include a taxi, no lifts offered from seller) and as a bonus it has working AC! Obviously now the weather has turned...

It's also merely a HDI 90 so I suspect it will be slow as hell. But cavernous. 

I will only have it until October I suspect, so if anyone wants a cheap (it won't be much) estate come then, you may be in luck. Unless of course, in some bizarre twist, I take to it more than the 605. 

#52245 OFFLINE   17-Coffees

17-Coffees

• Full Members
  • 536 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationAberdeenshire.

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:39 PM

As some of you know, I had a Suzuki Cappuccino, which I’d left abandoned at my parents with the intention of doing it up then selling it on as I’d had enough of finding a lead, dealing with rust, etc.

Well 2 weeks ago a note was left on the windscreen asking if it was for sale, and a number to call. It had been raining so couldn’t make out the number. Then start of last week a guy knocked on the door and asked, saying he’d left a note. Turns out it was one of the guys doing work on a house up the road. My mum let them have a look and then arranged a meet. Then told me...

So at the end of last week I set about making sure it worked, having not moved or started it in two years! First was the battery which hadn’t had charge in two years. Took to work to charge and amazingly it took, and held charge! Next was seeing it it started, put new fuel in and turned the key annnd...first then if the key! Tidy.
But why do I smell fuel? Oh cock, a fuel pipe had rusted that bad in 2 years. Bugger. Next was the tyres, which were bad enough when it was last on the road, completely flat and cracked. Pumped up no problems. Next challenge, will it move? The brakes being rusted and seized to fuck. Jacked the OSR up and gave the calliper a few chaps of the hammer, freed. Went to do the other side and the wheel was free. Likewise the 2 fronts. Nice.

Tuesday came, the guys came and had a look, said how they plan to fix it up and had already priced parts. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t too far gone. Was honest about everything. A deal was done, they collected it today. Typically it was pissing it down. Shame. On the plus side, I got more than I expected for it.

767C9417-64E2-4C41-BAB6-AAB9191D4DFE.jpeg
Alas poor Cappo, ‘‘twas fun knowing ye.
  • Fat_Pirate, The Moog, loserone and 16 others like this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I did a 1000 round trip to drink & help push cars out of a muddy field, 10/10 would do again!" 

-Summery of Shitefest 2016. 

The Fleet:

- 'Minor Project' - 1957 Morris Minor 1000

The HMS LexBarge, 2000 Lexus LS400. 

'Shed IV', 1995 BMW 316i. (Co-owned with Supernaut)

Other's not on here:

- 2015 Abarth 595

#52246 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

Glad you got more than expected.
1968 Morris Minor 1000
1968 Land Rover 
1972 Triumph Toledo
1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Talbot Express Camper
1999 Renault Clio
2001 Renault Clio
2003 Skoda Octavia

#52247 OFFLINE   r.welfare

r.welfare

Lee 'Scratch' Perry

• Full Members
  • 4,332 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationUP YOURS DELORS

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:10 PM

Day off today primarily for car shizz.

IMG_2616.JPG

First off my wife's car which has been assuming this position since last Saturday.  Why?  Because the battery light was coming on at high revs, along with the handbrake light flickering on and off.  Googling plus multimetrage on the battery (which is only a couple of years old) led me to suspect the alternator.  More Googling on the part number found a genuine Nissan exchange job on eBay for £60 delivered.  Lovely!  Another £7 spent at Amazon for an SKF serpentine belt, and I was ready to go.

IMG_2615.JPG

Getting the old one out took about half an hour, getting the new one on took about three times as long, as it was a pain to line the mounting bolts up with their holes, then I couldn't remember how the idler pulley bolt (used to set the tension worked); I got the washer on the wrong side, so once I fired it up I could smell hot plastic...looking at the workshop manual (which I should have done in the first place) got everything worked out, although stopping the idler pulley going squint when tensioning took a while.  Multimeter now says 14.6 volts with the engine running and all accessories on (as opposed to about 12.4 before).  Will take it for a run tomorrow to see if all the warning lights stay off.

IMG_2617.JPG

Done a few miles in 8 years has this.  My Geordie postman approves.

IMG_2618.JPG

My wife has been driving my car all week so I have been borrowing this again from my brother.  He hardly uses it.  My job - in lieu of hire payment - was to fit new door check straps.  Procedure is battery disconnected, door panels off (all the clips broke, typical E46), unbolt the old ones (completely stuffed), feed them out through the inside of the door (removing lots of skin), feed the new ones back in (even harder as they weren't broken, so less flexible around obstacles) and put it all back together again. 

IMG_2619.JPG

Wonderful.  Never doing that job again.  Only one armrest bolt that wouldn't bite, and now the electric mirrors don't work.  Mainly because the plug broke when I pulled the door card off.  I'll get the soldering iron out when I get trim clips.

Lovely creamy 2.5 straight-six, surprisingly economical and handsome, unmolested looks (I like the gingercators, it would be even nicer if it had been painted a proper colour), but it's being slowly consumed by tinworm and it clonks underneath when you change from 1st to 2nd.  My money's on the propshaft flex disc/guibo/giubo thing, cheap to buy but painful to fit because you need to drop the exhaust.  Another day.

All this took me about six hours.  Good job I don't do this for a living, innit?

• RobT, Lacquer Peel, Sigmund Fraud and 4 others like this

Shiteless for the foreseeable future

#52248 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 2,370 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

CX's MoT booked for next Friday. This is the same tester who did my oul 635 for donkeys' years up to 2013. He hasn't seen me since then.....
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#52249 OFFLINE   chodweaver

chodweaver

• Full Members
  • 1,656 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationCongleton

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

^^^^^^ Crossing digits here for another year's ticket on the CX...
  • Tadhg Tiogar likes this

#52250 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:54 PM

Wonderful.  Never doing that job again.  Only one armrest bolt that wouldn't bite, and now the electric mirrors don't work.  Mainly because the plug broke when I pulled the door card off.  I'll get the soldering iron out when I get trim clips.

Just done similar on my brother's E46 and had same problem with the arm rest. One of the spire clips had slipped off an fallen inside the door, should be able to retrieve and push it back into place.

#52251 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 2,370 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:58 PM

^^^^^^ Crossing digits here for another year's ticket on the CX...

There are three possible things that could happen:

1. Failure to start on the key, because Citroën.
2. Air horn fails to work, despite my clean up and repair*
3. Greasy gearbox casing put down to fluid leak (there isn't one, far as I know)

Any or all of these could produce fail.

Just hoping the tester recognises it for what it is - a very old car - just as he used to with the 635 and doesn't get pedantic.
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#52252 OFFLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

GM free since 89

• Full Members
  • 5,938 posts
  • 35 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:01 PM

Day off today primarily for car shizz.

attachicon.gifIMG_2616.JPG

First off my wife's car which has been assuming this position since last Saturday.  Why?  Because the battery light was coming on at high revs, along with the handbrake light flickering on and off.  Googling plus multimetrage on the battery (which is only a couple of years old) led me to suspect the alternator.  More Googling on the part number found a genuine Nissan exchange job on eBay for £60 delivered.  Lovely!  Another £7 spent at Amazon for an SKF serpentine belt, and I was ready to go.

attachicon.gifIMG_2615.JPG

Getting the old one out took about half an hour, getting the new one on took about three times as long, as it was a pain to line the mounting bolts up with their holes, then I couldn't remember how the idler pulley bolt (used to set the tension worked); I got the washer on the wrong side, so once I fired it up I could smell hot plastic...looking at the workshop manual (which I should have done in the first place) got everything worked out, although stopping the idler pulley going squint when tensioning took a while.  Multimeter now says 14.6 volts with the engine running and all accessories on (as opposed to about 12.4 before).  Will take it for a run tomorrow to see if all the warning lights stay off.

attachicon.gifIMG_2617.JPG

Done a few miles in 8 years has this.  My Geordie postman approves.

attachicon.gifIMG_2618.JPG

My wife has been driving my car all week so I have been borrowing this again from my brother.  He hardly uses it.  My job - in lieu of hire payment - was to fit new door check straps.  Procedure is battery disconnected, door panels off (all the clips broke, typical E46), unbolt the old ones (completely stuffed), feed them out through the inside of the door (removing lots of skin), feed the new ones back in (even harder as they weren't broken, so less flexible around obstacles) and put it all back together again. 

attachicon.gifIMG_2619.JPG

Lovely creamy 2.5 straight-six, surprisingly economical and handsome, unmolested looks (I like the gingercators, it would be even nicer if it had been painted a proper colour), but it's being slowly consumed by tinworm and it clonks underneath when you change from 1st to 2nd.  My money's on the propshaft flex disc/guibo/giubo thing, cheap to buy but painful to fit because you need to drop the exhaust.  Another day.

All this took me about six hours.  Good job I don't do this for a living, innit?

it’s a shit job on the E46 for sure, there are also two types, one looks better made but fucks up the electric window channel if fitted to the wrong door as I found out.

#52253 OFFLINE   r.welfare

r.welfare

Lee 'Scratch' Perry

• Full Members
  • 4,332 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:13 PM

This is an early coupe so I struggled a bit to find the right strap, thankfully they were identical to those that came out. I forgot to mention I put the first one in the wrong way round so I couldn't reconnect the bolt to the door jamb...great days. I believe it's a slightly easier job on the saloon or Touring as there is slightly better access.

#52254 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 3,917 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:30 PM

Had to crowbar my wallet open as i knew front tyres where getting low on the daddywagon, ats wanted £167 the pair, rang protyre(tyreweb) and they quoted £130 so being a tightass i went there and got a pair of autoquips.
  • mrbenn and Christine like this

Deafining folk in fozzie the Focus  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  

Driver of the daddy bus 'ford galaxy 

#52255 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

At Krown having rust proofing applied to my brother’s E46. Back in a couple of weeks to have my car and a mate’s done. Very interesting stuff, big in Canada where they salt the roads like hell over winter.

An easy 70 mile trip but the M6 was at a standstill going north as one lorry had bummed another. Hope there were no injuries.

Attached Images

• 8F38EF1F-A7D3-4068-BBB1-6FFBC11C71E5.jpeg

• egg likes this

#52256 OFFLINE   fatharris

fatharris

• Full Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:46 AM

Finished work for three weeks yesterday afternoon, and after attending a few appointments, the late afternoon gave me enough free time to do what I've wanted to do for two years.

ecaaf7cae3188a656c27c05fd21c67e9.jpg

da66eebbbb90e99c2fd08c200e1380da.jpg

When we moved into The Cottage, the garage had a partition wall fitted by the previous owner who was a drummer. This back room was almost completely soundproof, and served as a parts dump for all the Mini bits.

1f5e9c3b52f470c37ed414aea6fe15c4.jpg

However, it meant that only the Mini would fit in, so after two years, the time came to pull it down.

Made some good progress last night

912fbd847ec9977ea34cade9388d317f.jpg

The walls were really well constructed, with chipboard, sound absorbing rubber, sound deadening foam, fibreglass and plasterboard. The rubber sheeting will be repurposed for future projects :D

4a34fde50706be5a2ca9afd2953ac771.jpg

I plan to move the storage racking so it's down one side, and relocate the workbench to the back of the garage, with a tool board/shelving running down the other side.

Hopefully it works out
  • HillmanImp, RobT, mercedade and 5 others like this

#52257 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:51 AM

Nice. I did similar with our garage last year, really opened it up and made it a lot more usable. Can just about squeeze the Minor and Smart in together now if necessary (if I remove one of the Minor’s bumpers....).

#52258 OFFLINE   fatharris

fatharris

• Full Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

Nice. I did similar with our garage last year, really opened it up and made it a lot more usable. Can just about squeeze the Minor and Smart in together now if necessary (if I remove one of the Minor’s bumpers....).

Would be nice to fit the Mini and the Mazda in together for the winter!

#52259 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 12,067 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:47 AM

Hey, why is Mr Welfare "validating"? He's been here since the dawn of time...

Did another 260 miles in the 205 yesterday. As usual it held its own quite happily in busy motorway traffic, although it did run out of traction trying to accelerate hard off a soaking wet roundabout on the A420. The radiator fan kicked in for the first time in my ownership while sitting in traffic on the M5 - was glad to discover that it was working as it should as with the temp warning light coming on randomly there's no other indication of when its getting warm.

I'm still probably going to have to sell it soon, sadly.
  • fatharris likes this

#52260 OFFLINE   r.welfare

r.welfare

Lee 'Scratch' Perry

• Full Members
  • 4,332 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

At Krown having rust proofing applied to my brother’s E46.

What's it like under the sill covers?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users