The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

When I sent the very old logbook off for the Maxi along with the forms, I sent a £25 cheque as advised by the DVLA. Incidently he was very enthusiastic and wished me luck with my project, so not the autonomon you maybe are led to believe civil servants are.

Yesterday I got a nice surprise as the cheque was returned with a note saying it wasnt necessary as I had supplied the log book! I am still waiting for my new logbook however, they did say it would be six weeks.

Has something happened at DVLA? After years of being an absolute shower, they actually seem to be professional and reliable now. It's very strange.

Probably worried for their jobs.

In other news I’ve just filled up the fiat with Esso supreme at £1.45. Happily despite not putting any in since the start of June ( when shell v power was 20p cheaper in Wrexham ) it’s done 332miles and only took 35 litres to brim the tank, so that’s over 40mpg.

Spotted the most autoshite real news (well BBC trending) story today. 

Man in the states is arrested for a hit and run after reddit user identifies a very small bit of a headlight bezel found at the scene as an 80's chevy. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-45194123

Can’t praise the Swansea mob enough at the minute.

Tried online to put a plate on retention last night at 18.30 but it wouldn’t accept it and said it had to be done manually via the post which was a complete pain as the car it’s coming off has been sold and is due to be collected at the weekend.

Rung the DVLA on the off chance, was on hold for a couple of minutes whilst he went to check it out before coming back and telling me he’d tweaked a couple of bits of info on the system and it would now go through online absolutely fine (which it did)

Absolutely sterling service from them for the last couple of years tbh.

^^^ Liked for the mpg, not the fuel cost....

The mpg is pretty good- most articles at the time say lower. Here’s the brochure.

Fuel is a bit expensive here, but when I first had it twelve years ago it was still on leaded 4* at £1.50 a litre- but since it was only doing 200miles a year it was not a major cost. It’s only ever run on super unleaded since and is happy to rev to 6000 without pinking.

post-8687-0-87342900-1534351369_thumb.jpeg

Can’t praise the Swansea mob enough at the minute.

Tried online to put a plate on retention last night at 18.30 but it wouldn’t accept it and said it had to be done manually via the post which was a complete pain as the car it’s coming off has been sold and is due to be collected at the weekend.

Rung the DVLA on the off chance, was on hold for a couple of minutes whilst he went to check it out before coming back and telling me he’d tweaked a couple of bits of info on the system and it would now go through online absolutely fine (which it did)

Absolutely sterling service from them for the last couple of years tbh.

Don't expect any service from them over the weekend as they are ment to be offline,

Of course reporting is telling everyone they are at risk of £1000 fine of they buy a car and drive it this weekend ????

Each of England's 7 police traffic officers will have a paper copy of the entire DVLA database as at 5pm Friday.

Actually they'll have a copy from June 2017 on an excel spreadsheet, on a memory stick.  One per Region.