The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Park on the pavement further up the road on the right and get out the camera. The rest of '1980s Street' may be interesting. Kick the ball up the street.

I wouldn't mind being a bus driver.

Oh, and maybe announce to passengers there will be a short break (if there are any on the bus).

Pic from me a few years back:

9162680142_655d59b996_b.jpg1986 Nissan Sunny Spirit Coupe. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

It's only done 41k.

Will be viewing this later.

HOWEVER, I have hit a snag. I can't seem to get it insured. No classic policy companies will cover me, and I am not taking out another regular policy.

So, I am going to offer to get it MOT'd for the owner, and help her sell it from there. I obviously have to get her blessing for this, but I am happy to cover MOT costs if it helps her find the Sunny a new home. I will report back later.

M6 north of Preston appears to be open again ...

just had a friends quote of circa 9 hours to do a 70 mile trip on that stretch yesterday .............1230  to 9 15pm    !!

every junction around here was overworked as the displaced traffic headed south down the coast roads ......

The DVLA have now re-enabled the test centre locations feature on the MOT history...

BUT

You have to know/be in possession of the latest V5c number. Seems fair enough I guess.

Guessing they deemed it to be personal/sensitive information under GDPR - same reason the previous keeper info is gone

MAXI !

Great video Ian, but then maybe I'm biased.

A few observations from it's longer term use:

It's actually not an Austin, although everyone knows them as such.

This one was built in late 1977, the year during which they were officially rebranded as "Leyland".

There is no mention anywhere on the car or the paperwork of "Austin" and the V5 gives the manufacturer as "Leyland Cars". As you rightly say it is one of the last hydrolastic suspension examples, the hydragas being introduced in very late 1977/early 1978 I believe.

It was not registered until March 1978, so obviously hung around awhile before being sold.

In fact, with the aid of a copy of "Glass's Car Check Book 1969 - 1978" purchased from fleabay, I have just successfully managed to convince the DVLA that it was actually made in 1977 and it is now tax and MoT exempt a year early, saving me about £250. Result !

As you say, they were not particularly popular at the time, but from the aforementioned guide, which lists chassis numbers and years of manufacture, I was surprised to find that about 40,000 were sold in 1977 alone, and that does not include the twin-carb HL model.

I think their unpopularity may have been partly due to the styling, but also due to the general public being frightened by their radical (for the time) design: first British 5-door hatchback, first British car with a true 5-speed gearbox (as opposed to four plus overdrive), transverse engine, front-wheel drive.

I suspect that it should have replaced the Marina, but the conservative British car buyers still trusted conventional leaf-spring and torsion-bar sprung, in-line engined, rear-wheel drive cars.

The "mystery switch" on the under-dash panel is a standard fit. This was one of the first Maxis with dual-circuit brakes, so the light in the switch is a brake failure warning light and the switch it is built into is a momentary rocker switch which allows you to perform a bulb test. High tech or what !

The rear seat belts are an aftermarket fit though.

The heater is actually quite effective, the blower not so much.

I have not had any problems with the ground clearance. I don't think it's actually as bad as it looks, although the one I owned 40 years ago and used as a stage rally service barge on rough roads was fitted with a proper British Leyland Special Tuning sump guard, which was available off the shelf from BL dealers back then for about £40. Sadly unobtainium now (unless anyone on here knows otherwise).

I agree that the engine is quite raucous when revved hard, but you don't need to rev it (hooligan !). It's certainly not a sporty car, but will pull happily from 25 to 75mph in fifth gear so you can use the torque not the revs.

Most of the noise is indeed caused by the fixed mechanical fan and I did consider trying to fit a front-mounted radiator and an electric fan, but the standard layout seems to cope OK, even at a steady 70mph in the recent 30C heat.

One thing which does surprise me is the external versus the internal size. As you said, there is masses of room inside but externally it is actually shorter, narrower and lower than the latest Ford Fiesta, which today is considered a small car. When it is parked in a car park these days it is really difficult to find.

Great to see so many, mostly positive, comments on YooToob already.

Looking forward to more vids.

I think it was more that they didn't want websites collating that information to determine which garages are more likely to pass than others.

I assumed it was to stop people tracking where folk lived from their reg.  In a lot of places - like around here, it'd take you about 2 minutes to get my address once you knew where my car was last Mot'd.

I'm lucky that I don't mind - but people with abusive/stalkerish exes might be more worried.

ETA - I don't really see how the "more likely to pass" thing would work - surely garages can only test what comes to them - if all that is presented is badly maintained shit, then unless they are total cowboys, they will have a "high" fail rate.

I sat down and cracked a can of beer, there was a huge crash of thunder and it's started to pour with rain.

The can is nearly empty now and the rain has stopped, but I have several more to experiment with.

That reminds me, I have a bottle of prosecco I was given today chilling in the fridge.

MAXI !

Great video Ian, but then maybe I'm biased.

A few observations from it's longer term use:

It's actually not an Austin, although everyone knows them as such.

This one was built in late 1977, the year during which they were officially rebranded as "Leyland".

There is no mention anywhere on the car or the paperwork of "Austin" and the V5 gives the manufacturer as "Leyland Cars". As you rightly say it is one of the last hydrolastic suspension examples, the hydragas being introduced in very late 1977/early 1978 I believe.

It was not registered until March 1978, so obviously hung around awhile before being sold.

In fact, with the aid of a copy of "Glass's Car Check Book 1969 - 1978" purchased from fleabay, I have just successfully managed to convince the DVLA that it was actually made in 1977 and it is now tax and MoT exempt a year early, saving me about £250. Result !

As you say, they were not particularly popular at the time, but from the aforementioned guide, which lists chassis numbers and years of manufacture, I was surprised to find that about 40,000 were sold in 1977 alone, and that does not include the twin-carb HL model.

I think their unpopularity may have been partly due to the styling, but also due to the general public being frightened by their radical (for the time) design: first British 5-door hatchback, first British car with a true 5-speed gearbox (as opposed to four plus overdrive), transverse engine, front-wheel drive.

I suspect that it should have replaced the Marina, but the conservative British car buyers still trusted conventional leaf-spring and torsion-bar sprung, in-line engined, rear-wheel drive cars.

The "mystery switch" on the under-dash panel is a standard fit. This was one of the first Maxis with dual-circuit brakes, so the light in the switch is a brake failure warning light and the switch it is built into is a momentary rocker switch which allows you to perform a bulb test. High tech or what !

The rear seat belts are an aftermarket fit though.

The heater is actually quite effective, the blower not so much.

I have not had any problems with the ground clearance. I don't think it's actually as bad as it looks, although the one I owned 40 years ago and used as a stage rally service barge on rough roads was fitted with a proper British Leyland Special Tuning sump guard, which was available off the shelf from BL dealers back then for about £40. Sadly unobtainium now (unless anyone on here knows otherwise).

I agree that the engine is quite raucous when revved hard, but you don't need to rev it (hooligan !). It's certainly not a sporty car, but will pull happily from 25 to 75mph in fifth gear so you can use the torque not the revs.

Most of the noise is indeed caused by the fixed mechanical fan and I did consider trying to fit a front-mounted radiator and an electric fan, but the standard layout seems to cope OK, even at a steady 70mph in the recent 30C heat.

One thing which does surprise me is the external versus the internal size. As you said, there is masses of room inside but externally it is actually shorter, narrower and lower than the latest Ford Fiesta, which today is considered a small car. When it is parked in a car park these days it is really difficult to find.

Great to see so many, mostly positive, comments on YooToob already.

Looking forward to more vids.

You'll have to reshoot it now Ian!

I have just seen a 2012 vauxhall insignia estate for sale in Facebook with 12 monthso mot. £1250..Are these worth so little already..

Car swap shop or for sale in the North East no parts just vehicles.

Grey insignia estate 12 months MOT good condition

£1250 o.v.n.o

Been having a rough few months with my relationship and other assorted issues but have managed to pull myself together enough to help my old man get this old thing ready. Since turning 25 last month I found that being a named driver on his classic insurance policy loads the premium by exactly five pounds. Winner! It's rough around the edges, but that's the way we like em. Nearly done now, going in for a new gearbox on Monday and then have some BFO Cooper tyres to finish it off. Probably gonna piss down for the rest of the summer now but at least I'll be able to hear that wonderful V8 burble.

post-19533-0-05121700-1532713437_thumb.jpg

Been having a rough few months with my relationship and other assorted issues but have managed to pull myself together enough to help my old man get this old thing ready. Since turning 25 last month I found that being a named driver on his classic insurance policy loads the premium by exactly five pounds. Winner! It's rough around the edges, but that's the way we like em. Nearly done now, going in for a new gearbox on Monday and then have some BFO Cooper tyres to finish it off. Probably gonna piss down for the rest of the summer now but at least I'll be able to hear that wonderful V8 burble.

Keep on trucking, champ. You’ll probably find the last sentence helps you with the first.