The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I bought a plastic box yesterday that was £5, and the picture showed it with a few lever arch files in, and some paperwork. Ace, I'll use that for all my vacuum brochures. It turned up today, my sandwiches for reference...

post-5612-0-15479800-1531920117_thumb.jpg

If I fill that full of brochures I'll never lift it, let alone slot it into the bottom of the wardrobe. Just asked Amy if she has a use for it or I'll return it...

Where's the smoll, far away meme?

Finally got the ST back after it being at the garage for a week. More due to them being slow than anything else.

So they've changed a couple or bushes on the top of the back shocks to stop some banging but not taken the EGR of like I asked (I don't blame them, it looks a twat) and they've changed the exhaust even though I didn't ask them to. It was fucked though.

They can't figure out the mystery oil leak so they've cleaned it all off and asked for it back in two weeks to see if they can see where it's coming from.

Ok so far as although they're owned the stuff does need doing. Only problem is the price, I don't have one. We've asked loads how much and the bloke never knows. He's been asked on the phone and in person, still no answer 'give us a ring tomorrow and I'll work something out' what does that mean??

He fixed the hand brake a few months ago. Kept asking for a price, he never came back with one, asked him loads and mentioned it the other day. It's it's going to be loads or sod all, who knows??

My mechanic friend came over at 7 to replace the slave cylinder on the x1/9. He’s just left. All swapped over with new spring, washers and flexi hose too. Slight difficulty with the retaining R clip at the end of the arm, the new arm had a hole that was ever so slightly smaller and burred, which we only discovered after it was all fitted.

We have not been able to get any pressure in the pedal yet though. He’s coming back on Saturday with a big pry bar ( to physically move the arm to take the weight off the cylinder ) and an eezi bleed. Club wisdom is that it can take a lot of bleeding!

post-8687-0-13330200-1531946947_thumb.jpeg

Guest Hooli

Try a huge syringe of brake fluid on the bleed nipple & push it though from there. I do it all the time on bike brakes as they can be an utter twat to bleed too.

Guest Hooli

Job news!

I got offered the job in Oban :)

I turned it down :(

I can't make the figures work as houses are more up there than where I am. It's a damn shame but that seems to be how life often is.

Cheers, it's bloody annoying to have had to say no. But I'd have ended up in a studio flat paying a load more than my house costs currently with nowhere for my bikes etc & that'd just piss me off.

This is the constant mental balancing act I do, too. I'll look at a job and think "ooh, that sounds good" then look at the living costs in the area the job is based and go "HOW MUCH?!"

Guest Hooli

Aye it's a right bugger at times ain't it?

If I'd got a couple more years where I am in the bank (as it were) then I'd probably have taken it, but that's life. I'll get up here eventually.

And the red Land Rover has played up again, the grey one is in having PAS fitted so I'm using the red one. Fortunately, although it's up for sale, I haven't cleaned it out yet so there were still tools in it. Yet again it's the ignition system, back to a misfire. Checked the points which have probably done just over 100 miles and they were pitted badly. I gave them a clean and it was ok for about ten miles before doing it again. That time I swapped them and the condenser for new ones (which were in a box under the seat). This is not the first time this has happened, which is why I carry spares and put the tools back in it, I'm not sure where the spare coil has got to because that should have been there as well.

Conclusion is that new ignition parts are shit.

And the red Land Rover has played up again, the grey one is in having PAS fitted so I'm using the red one. Fortunately, although it's up for sale, I haven't cleaned it out yet so there were still tools in it. Yet again it's the ignition system, back to a misfire. Checked the points which have probably done just over 100 miles and they were pitted badly. I gave them a clean and it was ok for about ten miles before doing it again. That time I swapped them and the condenser for new ones (which were in a box under the seat). This is not the first time this has happened, which is why I carry spares and put the tools back in it, I'm not sure where the spare coil has got to because that should have been there as well.

Conclusion is that new ignition parts are shit.

Would converting it to those electronic things you stick in the distributor solve it? Saying that I've never tried one.

Getting a lot of cold callers at the door lately, the proverbial duster salesman, moneyexpert (who try and get you to change energy supplier on your doorstep - nothing to do with Martin Lewis's set-up) and of course the good old Jehova's witness (although they seem to target Mrs Egg more!).  

Probably should go in the other questions fred, but does anyone use a 'piss off' sticker on their door and does it work?

My mechanic friend came over at 7 to replace the slave cylinder on the x1/9. He’s just left. All swapped over with new spring, washers and flexi hose too. Slight difficulty with the retaining R clip at the end of the arm, the new arm had a hole that was ever so slightly smaller and burred, which we only discovered after it was all fitted.

We have not been able to get any pressure in the pedal yet though. He’s coming back on Saturday with a big pry bar ( to physically move the arm to take the weight off the cylinder ) and an eezi bleed. Club wisdom is that it can take a lot of bleeding!

If you need some genuine caliper repair kits, my work has literally hundreds of them!