The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Deciding to put another MOT on my mk1 Clio at the end of the month. Bought primarily for use as a mobile skip but have grown to become very fond of the little thing. When I walk up to it I know it is going to start and it won't fook me out of my hard earned cash at the forecourt. Everyone else sees it as a dirty old banger but it treats me right. Time I stopped lavishing time and money on the Mazda and give the Clio some of what it has earned.

3 possessions I have that provide me service and give me no grief. My Cassio F-91W, My Hi-tec Silver Shadow's and my trusty Renault Clio.

That Clio needs to be preserved.  It is too marvellous a thing to ever get rid of.  It's the ne plus ultra of French chod.

Plans are afoot. It is apparently losing coolant for reasons unknown. But easily guessed...

Common prob on those is the inlet manifold gasket leaking on the o/s where it meets the head. Usually the end of the plastic manifold where the coolant flows has broken up so its a new manifold job.

Luckily the good folks at Blueprint make a repair plate for not much money

attachicon.gif20180627_160926.jpg

New coolant temp sensor for the A6. Tried getting a price from the stealers but you have more chance of contacting the dead - must be all the warranty work. Part is a febi item so should be ok. I will attempt to fit it shortly.

I did the coolant temp sensor on an A4 1.8T I had a couple of years back. Piece of piss. It's right on top of the engine at the back.

No idea where it is on the other engines though!

Seems to be OK, the smoke has all gone off towards the city. Cars a bit dusty mind, I'll have to wash it before it goes into the body shop on Monday.

Is it under control yet Ghosty or is the Rover in danger?

Guest Hooli

The first section of the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route is now open today.

Do I be a sad bastard and go for a drive along it later this evening? Hmm.

Is that posh for 'ring road'?

Frustrating afternoon in sizzling heat in an attempt to sort out the seized o/s/r brake on the V6.

Bottom guide pin bolt is rounder than the moon and, naturally, welded on, but it's definitely that guide pin which is siezed up.

After trying all sorts of different tools I gave in and put it all back together again. Due to the tiny amount of space it's spanner room only down there to twist this bolt off, so have invested wisely* in some of these from Amazon which should be with me tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N8PEJIF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're not socket sized, thankfully, just slightly bigger than the bolt they go over, and then you can spanner off (hopefully). Soaked in PlusGas again, and will try again on Friday.

Had hoped to take this car down to the BL Day at Gaydon on Sunday, but looking quite remote now that this will happen. Looks like the Streetwise will come to the rescue yet again.

I had a look at the bit of the AWPR that's open.

It's alright. No speed cameras...

Other than that it's a shiny new bit of road. The bits you're not allowed on yet are blocked off rather brutally, with just huge fuck-off concrete blocks! :shock:

I saw both an MX-5 and an old MG Midget bimbling along, with two people in each. On my way back home I saw a very serious looking S15 Nissan Silvia with a widebody kit heading in that general direction...

Did someone mention coolant sensors? ARSE!

DguZ9TPW4AIgYoI.jpg

Snapped the Nippa's clean off this evening. The temp gauge has been sitting too low for a while now. Last time it did that, I bought a new sensor and that cured it, but not for long. So, got another one, but failed to use any penetrating oil. It still snapped bloody easily though. It was pretty corroded too.

It'll have to live with no gauge for now, which isn't really that different to an under-reading one. Rad fan still kicks in when it should, as (just in case you didn't know) that uses a different sensor. I'm a little concerned the ECU might take a reading from the one I've broken, but the mixture doesn't smell rich. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Peugeot 106 FTPed on the A1M just before the A1M/M1 split this morning. A quick prime of the diesel lines and cracked open a couple of injectors to try to see in there was any diesel coming through and it fired up on two cylinders! So having tightened the injectors back up it atartes on all 4 & got me into work, but I think the fuel filter will be getting changed tonight.

Well, it did it again in the "work's" carpark, but a bit of tweaking got me home. News just in: fuel filter hasn't been replaced, but the nut holding the wire onto the stop solenoid that was very loose is now quite, quite, tight.

The first section of the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route is now open today.

Do I be a sad bastard and go for a drive along it later this evening? Hmm.

I drove along it this morning. I was working on the AWPR site at Little Goval and my next job was Peterhead so it was quite handy. Is that the first bit? I thought there were other bits open already.

My news is a day out of date. I'd planned to unveil it at Armadale but it wasn't to be.

43030029791_e54bc607f3_b.jpg

So  hot today I had a bit of trim come unglued! Internal door handle hurt my delicate little handy when I closed the door and it turned out the covering had come away. Now, this is obviously a MAJOR disaster and required immediate remedial work, so it got 'Gorrila glue'd back on. Took about 30 seconds start to finish but at least I did 'something' to the car today :)

Also sprayed WD40 all over/into the ABS pump to try and protect it if the rain gets in there again. I really like NOT having warning lights on the dash. Strange how much they annoy me...

I like this car no end. Strange, but it feels like an old Mercedes (which it is, natch!) which is a 'good thing' in my book.

That's it arriving from Banbury. I know it's not really playing the game but Shiply was as cheap as the train down and petrol back even before you factor in time.

It's a 20V 2.5* manual GLT with coo and rear electric windows added.

Considering Reb is breaking his 850, does this mean he's getting Mavis?

Timing seems convenient.

I drove along it this morning. I was working on the AWPR site at Little Goval and my next job was Peterhead so it was quite handy. Is that the first bit? I thought there were other bits open already.

Not that I know of. Can't be bothered going to look.

I already HATE the Blackdog junction. I went round it last night when it was empty and it was still horrible.

A 4-lane roundabout thing built on bridges above the dual carriageway, with multiple sets of traffic lights around it! FRO.

Not that I know of. Can't be bothered going to look.I already HATE the Blackdog junction. I went round it last night when it was empty and it was still horrible.A 4-lane roundabout thing built on bridges above the dual carriageway, with multiple sets of traffic lights around it! FRO.

It just needs some big “GET IN LANE “ signs and it will be fine.

The lanes aren’t continuous circles, the left one exits to the slip road with a new one appearing on the inside at every exit.

Its the first proper piece of AWPR, all the other new bits of road have been existing/altered/junctions etc caused by AWPR works.