The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Got back from a couple of weeks driving round Europe (amongst other things) on Friday, there was unusual looking car with blue number parts waiting for the ferry.... Turns out he had driven from Beijing, heading for London and was going to be heading back again in a couple of weeks.

That's some road trip!

Changing a pollen filter - easy right ?

Nope, not on a PT Cruiser.

You have to fart about removing half of the scuttle panel at the base of the windscreen, taking care not to take the wiper with it for added windscreen cracking fun, then you have to unweld the two inaccessible bolts holding one side of the washer reservoir to give you just enough room to wiggle out the old filter, and by some amazing origami skillz coax the new filter in its place.

Then put it all back together.

And then realising you forgot to tighten the bolts holding the reservoir in place, and having to dismantle the whole lot again.

FFS.

30 minutes my arse.

Today I wented to Essex and was chauffered by my Mrs.

post-7547-0-05179400-1529871247_thumb.jpg

We went down the A10 to avoid all that unpleasant M11 business, and half way, at Royston, I fancied a slash.

The good people of this town must be mighty shy, as they have individual urinal cubicles which I've never experienced before.

What's more they've got hand washing and drying built in to the actual trough, and as if that isn't handy enough there's even somewhere to stick your works after shooting up.

post-7547-0-57134300-1529871808_thumb.jpg

I saw a tidy Mondeo and an interesting front door.

post-7547-0-23085400-1529871916_thumb.jpgpost-7547-0-29703900-1529872093_thumb.jpg

And now I'm off to join all those Essex lobsters in the bar.

Nooooo! Whats wrong with it? (Apart from being a Rover) the Rover 825D is a rare thing, especially in Mk1 form. Bah. Must try and get myself one to store away. They must be as rare as the Mk1 820E.

I'm not sure, it seems to have been out of MOT for over a decade though.

It's waiting to go into Upullit in Inverkeithing (which their website claims is Edinburgh, but it very much isn't), if anybody want to have a go at saving it https://www.u-pull-it.co.uk/

I had a list of three jobs that I wanted to get done today, and I managed one of them.

The Innocenti's clutch adjustment doobery is still seized, so I wasn't able to do anything with that.  I found that the clutch cable sleeve can be held steady with an 11mm spanner, but there is no way of grabbing hold of the plastic knurled adjustment nut thingy with any kind of tool (that I own at least), and it's far too seized to be able to be turned by hand.  So that was a non starter. 

My investigation into replacing the nearside trailing arm bush on the Rover 45 was aborted when I discovered that the clonking from the nearside rear was not due to the bush itself being knackered, but the fact that the bit on the chassis that the outer mounting bolt screws into has rotted away, so the bush is only held on by the inner bolt.  I have a feeling that's going to be a twat to repair.

I did manage to get an exhaust mount fitted to the Renault 6.  It's one of those rubber cotton reel jobs with a threaded rod sticking out either end.  There was no way the nut on the old one was going to come undone, and I was strugging to hold the rubber bit in place with pliers, so I decided to attack it with a hacksaw, whereupon I discovered that under the rubber is what is effectively a very thin 20mm bolt head.  So with a 20mm socket on my ratchet and a bit of jiggling around to get it to grip, and the nut held by a 10mm spanner jammed against the sill, I had enough leverage to snap the bolt, which in the circumstances was just as good an outcome as undoing it. 

There should in theory be two mounts at that point, but the inner one bolts up through the floorpan and looked like it'd be rather more involved to get undone, so I left it - it's not a particularly heavy system, I just wasn't happy about it having absolutely no support between downpipe clamp and tailpipe hanger.  It looks a lot less saggy now.  I also took the cap off the radiator to have a look at the state of the coolant - it looked far happier than the sludge that had been in the expansion bottle (which has now been cleaned out and refilled with neat antifreeze) so I'm going to leave that for now.  If the weather's OK I'm planning to take it for a longer drive next weekend, just to make sure everything is OK.

Had a bit of a play with the 205 after that.  I got the reversing light working again - the entire fitting was caked in soot, presumably from 23 years of sitting right above the exhaust tailpipe, so a blast with a combination of brake cleaner (for the lens and the reflector) and contact cleaner (for the bulb holder) and a shiny new 21w bulb and it was working again.  It's not as bright as I'd like, probably due to the fact that the reflector has lost its silvering and is just grey plastic - I'll buy some of that chrome tape stuff at some point and see if that improves matters.

I then swapped the too-short GM-branded tailgate struts for the correct-length ones off the other 205, so the tailgate now opens wide enough that I don't twat my head on the catch every time I put something in the boot, which is a marked improvement.  I've also replaced the shagged nearside rear speaker with a non-shagged one I nicked from the red Rover 200 before I scrapped it - it works much better and doesn't buzz at high volume like the old one did.  Dent aside, the old crate is gradually turning into a very acceptable car.

Changing a pollen filter - easy right ?

Nope, not on a PT Cruiser.

You have to fart about removing half of the scuttle panel at the base of the windscreen, taking care not to take the wiper with it for added windscreen cracking fun, then you have to unweld the two inaccessible bolts holding one side of the washer reservoir to give you just enough room to wiggle out the old filter, and by some amazing origami skillz coax the new filter in its place.

Then put it all back together.

And then realising you forgot to tighten the bolts holding the reservoir in place, and having to dismantle the whole lot again.

FFS.

30 minutes my arse.

Wait until you need to do a cambelt on one. My sister was daft enough to buy a PT some years ago, but luckily for me I moved 200 miles away so she took it to a mate of mine for the cambelt. He still isn't talking to me as it was such a bastard job.

I had a list of three jobs that I wanted to get done today, and I managed one of them.

The Innocenti's clutch adjustment doobery is still seized, so I wasn't able to do anything with that.  I found that the clutch cable sleeve can be held steady with an 11mm spanner, but there is no way of grabbing hold of the plastic knurled adjustment nut thingy with any kind of tool (that I own at least), and it's far too seized to be able to be turned by hand.  So that was a non starter. 

The knurled plastic clutch adjustment thingy:  Is there room to put a jubilee clip on it to give something to grip and turn with a spanner or mole wrench?

Wait until you need to do a cambelt on one. My sister was daft enough to buy a PT some years ago, but luckily for me I moved 200 miles away so she took it to a mate of mine for the cambelt. He still isn't talking to me as it was such a bastard job.

Thankfully the dizzla has a chain, so not a worry on this.

I do still need to work out how to do the serpentine belt (alternator, PAS, etc) to see if this resolves a rattling when idle, which sounds like a mare of a job:

Remove Offside front wheel and support on a axle stand. 

Remove the screw's/plug's holding the inner wing you do not need to remove this one completly. 

Remove the brace bar 15mm bolt at top 15mm nut at bottom remember how the washer's/spacer's go for when you refit it back. 

Now there's another splash shield to remove 10mm bolt's that go into the chassis rail. 

You should now see the belt and pully's ETC. 

crd%20berlt_zpscotqiatn.jpg

A long 15mm ring spanner is now needed to loosen the belt tensioner off then remove the belt keep pushing on the spanner/tensioner whilst doing this once off relaese the spanner/tensioner slowly. 

There's a lot of spring tension in the adjuster so please be carefull. 

To refit the belt put the belt on the pulley's whilst pushing the tensioner back. 

Refit spash shield then the brace inner wing cover, 

The knurled plastic clutch adjustment thingy:  Is there room to put a jubilee clip on it to give something to grip and turn with a spanner or mole wrench?

That might be worth a try actually - access isn't great but I might be able to get something on there.  My only slight worry is that the adjustment thingy is made from 25-year-old Italian plastic which has been subjected to repeated extremes of temperature so might not take too kindly to anything too tight...

Searing heat, I know, let's do the back brake pads on the PT.

To be fair I did start at 11am in the vain hope I'd finish quickly. Fail. 

Anyway the horrible grinding noise has gone from the back now, no doubt caused by this little monkey rattling around in the caliper. 

post-20951-0-82459100-1529943813_thumb.jpg

Less meat than a supermodel.

Probably have to do the discs at some stage, but they're not too badly scored, so aye, that'll do for now