The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

It is a 98 mk4 Fiesta Ghia 1.25, aircon, electric windows, power steering (?) and the engine sounds like a little jewel. Worth saving for definite. Wonder if it will ever be worth more than £300?

It will be worth a fortune one day.

Just probably not in our lifetimes.

Any photos of the not black interior you ordered?

Here you go. MOAR BEIGE:

post-4091-0-71938100-1529254461_thumb.jpeg

post-4091-0-03986800-1529254496_thumb.jpeg

They found a dealer demonstrator order somewhere to swap interiors with. You’d never know. They also gave me an extra discount for the hassle, which was decent.

Edit: oh and Rob, no I certainly didn't order a satanroof. How very dare you!

Looks nice. The Germans are very good at designing car interiors. My only niggle is the bodge of removing the key barrel and replacing it with a stop+start button. It's like they ran out budget to put it somewhere proper.

CaKwTcI.jpg

New clutch fitted to C15. "Just needed adjusting" my arse. 

Also, some kind soul has been in before us and chewed the hub nuts to pieces - so no easy dropping of driveshafts. 

Can either of us get the box back in and lined up? Can we both bollocks. 

Guest Hooli

CaKwTcI.jpg

New clutch fitted to C15. "Just needed adjusting" my arse.

Also, some kind soul has been in before us and chewed the hub nuts to pieces - so no easy dropping of driveshafts.

Clutch alignment tool in use?

It will invariably take several hours of swearing and injuring your back until suddently, and for no apparent reason, it will gently slide into place.

Just make sure there's no forgotten dowels getting in the way... I've been caught out before !

LET'S ATTACH THE PRESSURE PLATE WITH TORX SCREWS 

THAT'S A GREAT IDEA

THEY HAZ TORKS ? U HAZ BOLT GRIPZ !

Clutch alignment tool in use?

The clutch is aligned. Tool supplied. 

The box however, no, the box is not aligned. 

Because the C15 is front wheel drive and is therefore a cunt to get the box back in. 

Let's go from underneath: HA HA FUCK YOU I'M THE TOWING EYE. 

At an angle? HA HA LOL I'M THE SUBFRAME FUCK YOU 

etc, etc, etc. 

Here you go. MOAR BEIGE:

attachicon.gifEBCD28B2-41D2-445E-A62C-93A4A84DC7E3.jpeg

attachicon.gif250F79F9-E499-47F9-955E-009162B61344.jpeg

They found a dealer demonstrator order somewhere to swap interiors with. You’d never know. They also gave me an extra discount for the hassle, which was decent.

That looks lovely!

Guest Hooli

The clutch is aligned. Tool supplied.

Because the C15 is front wheel drive and is therefore a cunt to get the box back in.

etc, etc, etc.

Ahh happy* memories of almost dropping a gearbox on my face (I moved, it landed on my shoulder) with a mitsu colt mirage.

The last C15 clutch I did was on my sisters driveway with a cheapo toolkit from Argos. 

It took a lot of wrenching, wrestling and swearing, and just as I was about to give up, the box slipped into place in a very anti-climactic way. Well, it would have been anti-climactic if the middle finger of my left hand wasnt still in the gap.

The scar isnt much to look at these days, but at the time you could see the boingy bits moving inside my finger. Im not an expert fingerologist, but I dont think thats a good sign.

post-17837-0-06410500-1529257612_thumb.jpg

Should probably have gone to the hospital to get the grease removed and stuff like that, but who would have put the car back together? so kitchen roll and leccy tape held things together until it healed. eventually.

pro* tip - put the box in gear and stick your hand in where a driveshaft goes and turn the diff slowly as you wrestle the box up, this will turn the input shaft until the splines hopefully line up with the clutch disk.

Here you go. MOAR BEIGE:

attachicon.gifEBCD28B2-41D2-445E-A62C-93A4A84DC7E3.jpeg

attachicon.gif250F79F9-E499-47F9-955E-009162B61344.jpeg

That does look nice, much like most Skodas. Probably why they seem to hold their value better than most VAG stablemates, I say this as someone that's been looking at 2012/13 Superbs and Passats.

I bet 2018 Kodiaks will be more expensive than 2018 Touraegs in a few years .

Guest Hooli

Floor scissor jacks - saving gearbox-face interfaces since 1973

But it was so light it was easier* by hand. I've learnt to be slightly more sensible in the 22ish years since then.

It is a 98 mk4 Fiesta Ghia 1.25, aircon, electric windows, power steering (?) and the engine sounds like a little jewel. Worth saving for definite. Wonder if it will ever be worth more than £300?

The first car I ever drove was a 97 Ghia with all of the goodies you have listed, along with some of the most unconvincing wood trim I have ever seen in a car (which I rather liked). Rather bouncy over bumps and not fast at all, but endearing nonetheless.

It was exported to Ireland and sold a few years ago, but I still see it being driven around Mayo when visiting there. Although I am not really a fan of smaller cars, I probably wouldn't say no to one if I had a space available.

etc, etc, etc. 

Ahh happy* memories of almost dropping a gearbox on my face (I moved, it landed on my shoulder) with a mitsu colt mirage.

Floor scissor jacks - saving gearbox-face interfaces since 1973

I wish I had a photo of six of us in/on/under Catsinthewelder's ex-Wobbler Discovery, trying to persuade a VERY HEAVY gearbox back into place.

Guest Hooli

I wish I had a photo of six of us in/on/under Catsinthewelder's ex-Wobbler Discovery, trying to persuade a VERY HEAVY gearbox back into place.

Done those several times on my own, the trick is to use two jacks. I always used a trolley jack under the gearbox & the bottle jack that came with the Disco under the Tbox.

She's really not that bothered, she just asked if that could be her classic!

Thank you!, I think the Deluxe was just the basic model, no frills motoring here!

attachicon.gif13747540495_94cd37b096_o.jpg

attachicon.gif13747566323_c401abd520_o.jpg

attachicon.gif13747522875_7534225be2_o.jpg

attachicon.gif13747548083_de34c36fec_o.jpg

attachicon.gif13747517465_664703516b_o.jpg

reminded me of this.....................

post-4824-0-40255000-1529266422_thumb.jpg

First and last FWD box on end clutch change I did 4 days before wedding. Took a night and a morning and wasn't all that much of a ballache to do on the drive.

Yes, but had the hub nuts been destroyed? 

We couldn't go at it in the most straightforward way. We had to work around everything because the sodding driveshaft wouldn't come out on the offside. 

We'll get it back in. 

Then I'll take it to a wedding, top suggestion. 

As a heads up, I've discussed it with the missis and following the successful revival of the Disco, the E36 touring may be coming up for sale if this new work project pulls off in the next week or so. It'll be surplus to requirements and it needs to be used. If anyone fancies a good, reliable, daily, classic* work horse. Price estimated at around £1200 tbc. It's not for sale at this time (unless you turn up with a truckload of monies).