The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The joys of modern car ownership!

The wife's boring modern Punto has killed it's alternator, so a very nice RAC fellow recovered her back to the house.

Now muggins here has got to try to get enough charge in it to limp it round to my tame mechanic. (Bloody thing has air con, so it's a subframe drop to access the alternator)

In the mean time, Romania's finest is doubling up as an oversized jump pack!51e0339c47bfb1dcc59854f55290d90a.jpg

Just after visiting Brodie Engineering to be given the news that a replacement CX automatic box (which they don't have in stock) will cost £900 in labour charges alone.....

Have you tried Stan Platts or chevronics? Or Wolsey house motors come to that - they had my old cx.

Have you tried Stan Platts or chevronics? Or Wolsey house motors come to that - they had my old cx.

Not tried Chevronics (bound to be expensive).

Have heard of Stan Platts, but not a member of the CCC, so don't know where he is.

Not heard of Wolsey House before.

the council tip .... whats a load of jobsworths !  , every time they move the JCB , out comes the stop sign , no one can get in or out , and its like 20 mins of waiting .....and the JCB is in the middle of the compound away from the public

and when you get in ... big logs of tree wood is not wood for the wood skip , its garden rubbish for the garden rubbish skip ???...

and the traffic issue , there is going to be a big accident one day !

and then when I came out to the main road ... I nearly lost my front end to a fuck wit who was overtaking the traffic to come in ,,,, and he beeped me !

two.mp4

Gave The Aero's engine bay a clean up this afternoon, which was the first time I'd used my portable pressure washer since I bought it last summer. I'm pleased to say that it did a fine job and richly deserves to go on my list of my list of fine and funky lifestyle accessories:

post-4796-0-08831400-1527871352_thumb.jpg

A couple of cans of pound shop tyre shine later and things look much better:

post-4796-0-95840900-1527871425_thumb.jpg

I also replaced The Volvo's fuel filter (a sod of a job which I really hate doing) and a small section of fuel pipe between the filter and the fuel pump which was badly kinked, the latest attempt to fix an intermittent but persistent minor misfire, which has already seen me comb the engine bay for air leaks and replace every ignition component apart from the coil, 'radio suppression relay' and ignition module. It's a lot better now, probably due to replacing the fuel pipe, but it's still not perfect. 

Next thing to check will be the screen on the fuel pick-up pipe in the tank, which can wait a bit, as the prospect of trying to remove the sender unit terrifies me.

Got my hands on a system I built years ago a nice socket 775 Q6600 with 4GB ram and 7770 GPU, which this means little to some, it's a nice spec, a good friend who taught me computers years ago is using a old Dell Optiplex, he is in for a shock when i tidy this up, add some new fans and drop it off for him with a new Win 10 license and install tweaked to avoid updates and shit :D

Pretty much my first proper pc! Still very capable today I imagine!

think we have* finished (for now) fixing the black mini

have spent all day getting the speedo working, sh to get at the bottom of the cable the radiator had to come back out, but now its all together, it works!

still doen't run too great around left hand corners, but in a straight line or going right its fine....... don't really trust it on any sort of run, but it made it into the lock-up in Pickering from Golden Square (about 4 miles or so) without issue.

and i've replaced the blown brake light on the Rover. it has many other faults, such as non-functional reversing sensor things, or working blower fans and the tailgate dosen't always open form the outside, plus the clutch sometines lips (i think) but at least all the lights now work!

Got my eBay fan for the lgd so tomorrow will be spent upside down in a footwell, should be fun! Hoping that the new brake switch cames as well then I can get all the 'crawling in footwell' jobs done. May as well do it now 'cos my back is KILLING me! Been out with a friend playing pool: first time in decades and I had forgotten how much bending there is.

I won, 4-3! :)

But, the last time I bought a drink in a pub was a while back, and two drinks was  under three quid. Tonight, two shandies and two diet cokes came to £12.

I also fixed the drivers seat bolster: one seam had split so I 'Gorilla' glued it back together. It's right what they say, powerful stuff! Also glued a watch strap that came apart first time I wore it (£5 eBAy special so I can't complain, though I am aren't I?) and then glued a picture back into its frame, repired Phoebes collar, wandered round the gaff looking for other things to 'fix'. Decided I like Gorilla glue! :)

Just been and struggled in a footwell. Air con/heater fan u/s so new (s/h actually) one procurred from Jaguar spares of all places - £35. Bit of an awkward sod to get out but once you know, dead easy. When I took the cover off the heater box, half a gallon of water poured out, think that's bad.... :) So all the carpets and under dash trim is out and sat in the garden sunbathing! Got the new one in easily, new pollen filter and all back together and I appear to have 5 speeds on my fan! Yay! :)

Obviously the water leak from the blocked drain in the scuttle has killed the fan, really wet in/under there. Obviously been a problem for a while as the carpet wasn't fitted properly so been out before to dry out.

Quite proud of myself: since I've had this car I've done quite a few bits to it. Fan, headlights, roof fixed, wheels painted (badly) new badge, drains front and rear cleared, checked filters and changed a couple, and taken the under dash out on the drivers side in an attemt to fix the brake light switch, still got to do that when the CORRECT switch finally arrives. Good fun fiddlin' wiv the car, missed that with the dollop.

Guest Hooli

Just been and struggled in a footwell. Air con/heater fan u/s so new (s/h actually) one procurred from Jaguar spares of all places - £35. Bit of an awkward sod to get out but once you know, dead easy. When I took the cover off the heater box, half a gallon of water poured out, think that's bad.... :) So all the carpets and under dash trim is out and sat in the garden sunbathing! Got the new one in easily, new pollen filter and all back together and I appear to have 5 speeds on my fan! Yay! :)

Obviously the water leak from the blocked drain in the scuttle has killed the fan, really wet in/under there. Obviously been a problem for a while as the carpet wasn't fitted properly so been out before to dry out.

Quite proud of myself: since I've had this car I've done quite a few bits to it. Fan, headlights, roof fixed, wheels painted (badly) new badge, drains front and rear cleared, checked filters and changed a couple, and taken the under dash out on the drivers side in an attemt to fix the brake light switch, still got to do that when the CORRECT switch finally arrives. Good fun fiddlin' wiv the car, missed that with the dollop.

Hurrah for LGD being good for your mental health :)

Tipo probably off to a new home tomorrow morning. Sadly it's now decided to drag up some of the window mechanism with the window on the front passenger side.

Would it be too risky to take the door card off tonight and try to sort it out? Or do I just knock off some £££ to the new owner?

As an added bonus, the air con works! Freezing cold air puthering out of dash vents and only on the second speed plenty of flow. All the carpets are still out in the sun but it seems to be the rubbery padding on the back of the carpets (they are moulded round all the air distribution gubbins and wiring guff) that is holding the water. Jus tgiven them a squeeze and loads of water came out. I fear it's going to take some time...

Non motoring news... I took the dogs down to Ilsham valley where we often go and ended up sitting on the grass watching the Red Arrows. Those boys are MIGHTY impressive when you actually see them up close.. at one point I reckon one of their number went over us at about 300 feet (perhaps less) and the noise and speed was spell-binding! There were loads of us 'dog walkers' down there, and not one of the dogs was bothered by the noise in the slightest. Chester did look up at one point to see what all the noise was about. Phoebe, played with her ball, as usual ! :)