The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Having some fun wth this MB, fettlin' away. Today, I bodged like a giffer - slight corrosion on the wheels round the valves, so scraped off, etch primed and sprayed... but just round the valves :) Normally I would have spent £50 per wheel having them re-furbed, today I spent 14 pence and 3 minutes on each wheel, end result looks rather better than the meagre effort would imply :)

Also got the rear seat cover from the BGD to fit in the SGD (Small Grey Dollop although its actually code 189 - metallic Black Onyx which looks greem or blue or black or grey depending on the light, nice) by wedging it in the rear cover that goes over the hood. Probably jammed now forever and will require more money spent on it than the car cost to get the roof fixed! Also, why do electric roofs have to be so slow? MX5, 2 clips and chuck it back, total time, 2 seconds. MB, undo front latch and press button, various things whirr and loft, things move and disappear only to re-appear seconds later. All very flash but it takes about 20 - 30 seconds to raise or lower the roof and makes your finger ache with the effort of pressing a button :(

My sister and family came over today for us all to go for a ride in swinley forest.

All started off well and they enjoyed the ride, but ended up with me driving their Renault scenic through the forest following the ambulance and crown estate ranger. We got a few looks! This was at 1.30 and I’ve just picked them back up from frimley a&e at 10pm.

Typically just when I needed it I couldn’t get a phone signal on EE so had to give the ranger’s number to someone else to call. It’s no point going to 999 as they have no idea where you are- rangers will call the ambulance despatch and have their own call sign.

They had said it was a lowish grade rating (six year old with head and shoulder injury ) and so would be two hours wait for the ambulance, hence them telling me i can drive in and they can lead us out the other side ( once they knew I lived on the estate). Turns out the ambulance was less than ten mins and I followed it in through the farm entrance.

Oh the excitement!

So, obviously collectioneering happened on Friday - and still no thread.  I'm not sure I can be arsed if I'm honest!  It was fairly uneventful really.  In short, it's a really sweet car and very low mileage at 92,259.  I've put nearly 500 miles on it since picking it up in Norwich (Nottingham - Leeds - Haworth - Malham Tarn then back),  and it's been just great.  BUT.  The clutch is defo slipping.  And it's doing my head in - BIG BUCKS to have changed and I have just wazzed the last of my cash on this high-bottomed piece of French history...  And kind words involving the sentence "it's alright mate - probably just needs adjusting" will be gratefully received.

That crushing blow aside, it's a great drive - solid as a rock on the motorway, and surprisingly hard to keep down to 70mph.  The guy I bought it off was an 83 yr old retired forces engineer, so you can imagine how meticulously clean it was inside.  4 brand new Avons and Citroen heavy duty mats too.

I hope to hang on to this one for sure - so belongings are gonna have to be sold for OMGCLUTCHGATE.  It might even have to be cymbals this time.  Yikes!

post-2897-0-80679800-1527547928_thumb.jpg

post-2897-0-51760500-1527547952_thumb.jpg

post-2897-0-92928600-1527547976_thumb.jpg

post-2897-0-36777700-1527548000_thumb.jpg

post-2897-0-95005500-1527548016_thumb.jpg

post-2897-0-82989800-1527548039_thumb.jpg

post-2897-0-57015700-1527548062_thumb.jpg

post-2897-0-40615700-1527548082_thumb.jpg

post-2897-0-58107200-1527548120_thumb.jpg

post-2897-0-98231100-1527548184_thumb.jpg

Been a fair bit of French bothering on here of late - certainly a decent variety too.  Hopefully get to a few meets this year....

So, there ye go!

Nice innit?

Chris

Nakamachi (or something like that stereo, are they any good/? Sounds nice as I have just put a CD in (Pink Floyd - Division Bell) and it sounds really good, bass/treble/midrange adjustments and they actually DO change the sound! Amazing. Just cleaned a few bits insid, steering wheel is really ground in muck which doesn't seem to want to relinquish its death grip but the armrest and door cards cleaned easily and well. Alarm has gone off twice while it was parked outside, so now unlocked and all the windows down so anyone can nick it - security conscious me!! :)

Yes those used to be top end stereos, they've been bought out now though so the new ones aren't.

So dunno if anyone remembers this one, but this very 504 was at the FOTU a few years back and the elderly owner was happy to talk to anyone about it, he'd taken it all round the globe and I believe was the only owner it had ever had.

Somehow it's now for sale on Facebook for £600. Out of MOT.

Anyone want to go halves/thirds/quarters?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1673072032808736

Spent a whole day grovelling around under the Rover Saturday, making new brake pipes, flaring them and then joining them to the originals with new male and female connectors. Bled the brakes yesterday, in for retest today and the woman from the ministry say:post-3865-0-68155300-1527594396_thumb.jpg

Now, does anyone want a mechanically sound, but cosmetically challenged Rover 600 auto with no rust and a year's ticket? Start forming an orderly queue!

Just had a phone call from the wife. The gift that keeps on giving (Audi TT) has made itself known again. Apparently makes a strong electrical burning smell when the interior fans are on... Google doesn't show any likely candidates for that fault either.

I've only just cleared my Credit Card bill too! :(

So, obviously collectioneering happened on Friday - and still no thread. I'm not sure I can be arsed if I'm honest! It was fairly uneventful really. In short, it's a really sweet car and very low mileage at 92,259. I've put nearly 500 miles on it since picking it up in Norwich (Nottingham - Leeds - Haworth - Malham Tarn then back), and it's been just great. BUT. The clutch is defo slipping. And it's doing my head in - BIG BUCKS to have changed and I have just wazzed the last of my cash on this high-bottomed piece of French history... And kind words involving the sentence "it's alright mate - probably just needs adjusting" will be gratefully received.

That crushing blow aside, it's a great drive - solid as a rock on the motorway, and surprisingly hard to keep down to 70mph. The guy I bought it off was an 83 yr old retired forces engineer, so you can imagine how meticulously clean it was inside. 4 brand new Avons and Citroen heavy duty mats too.

I hope to hang on to this one for sure - so belongings are gonna have to be sold for OMGCLUTCHGATE. It might even have to be cymbals this time. Yikes!

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

Been a fair bit of French bothering on here of late - certainly a decent variety too. Hopefully get to a few meets this year....

So, there ye go!

Nice innit?

Chris

If you nurse it and don't give it much stick the clutch *could last a fair while.

So dunno if anyone remembers this one, but this very 504 was at the FOTU a few years back and the elderly owner was happy to talk to anyone about it, he'd taken it all round the globe and I believe was the only owner it had ever had.

Somehow it's now for sale on Facebook for £600. Out of MOT.

Anyone want to go halves/thirds/quarters?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1673072032808736

Buy it then stick it on eBay straightaway for £1200. Easy £600 there.

Just had a phone call from the wife. The gift that keeps on giving (Audi TT) has made itself known again. Apparently makes a strong electrical burning smell when the interior fans are on... Google doesn't show any likely candidates for that fault either.

GET IT FUCKED OFF

www.webuyanycar.com

18d3rub5cd10qjpg.jpg

Insurance-Company-2.jpg

1nchnj.jpg

businessman-giving-cheque-picture_csp295

ebay-co-uk.jpg

img_3950.jpg

EDIT - Just realised top pic is in fact an Audi R8, not in any way related to it's far more desirable Rover namesake.  

18d3rub5cd10qjpg.jpg

Insurance-Company-2.jpg

1nchnj.jpg

businessman-giving-cheque-picture_csp295

ebay-co-uk.jpg

img_3950.jpg

You joke, but I was having a chat with my Boss and I was talking about the projects I have plus my love for 70s BL. He joked to me "I bet you'll be looking an Austin Princess or a VP Allegro next". Of which I came back and started looking at them. So yes, there is a fair chance its something that could happen...

(Also that first picture I think is an R8, not a TT. But I'll let you off as they share exactly the same climate control system and this is the number one suspect right now... ;) )

Prelude speakers are shite/non existent. The front 2 don't work, and only one rear one works, although given the enclosed nature of the cabin, I didn't realise until I shifted the balance around. Ordered some Pioneer co-axials that should be a direct fit for the rears. Will sort front's after, think they're a bit more of a faff.

So, obviously collectioneering happened on Friday - and still no thread.  I'm not sure I can be arsed if I'm honest!  It was fairly uneventful really.  In short, it's a really sweet car and very low mileage at 92,259.  I've put nearly 500 miles on it since picking it up in Norwich (Nottingham - Leeds - Haworth - Malham Tarn then back),  and it's been just great.  BUT.  The clutch is defo slipping.  And it's doing my head in - BIG BUCKS to have changed and I have just wazzed the last of my cash on this high-bottomed piece of French history...  And kind words involving the sentence "it's alright mate - probably just needs adjusting" will be gratefully received.

That crushing blow aside, it's a great drive - solid as a rock on the motorway, and surprisingly hard to keep down to 70mph.  The guy I bought it off was an 83 yr old retired forces engineer, so you can imagine how meticulously clean it was inside.  4 brand new Avons and Citroen heavy duty mats too.

I hope to hang on to this one for sure - so belongings are gonna have to be sold for OMGCLUTCHGATE.  It might even have to be cymbals this time.  Yikes!

attachicon.gifIMG_2134.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2142.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2144.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2169.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2171.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2180.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2182.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2184.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2188.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2196.jpg

Been a fair bit of French bothering on here of late - certainly a decent variety too.  Hopefully get to a few meets this year....

So, there ye go!

Nice innit?

Chris

I could never sell my cymbals.  The fact that they're a bit weird (mainly Istanbul/Diril) means that nobody else would want them...

So don't sell your cymbals!