The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The P could well have been parking assist,

It looked like this...

Yeah, exactly like that.........!

Just to confuse matters even more, "our" Merc doesn't have parking assist so this icon is the modern equivalent of a blanked-off switch or a clock where there should be a rev counter.

Here's what's goin' on with my car.  I do not own one currently. 

However.  A sneakret mission is afoot.  Starting tomorrow morning with pretending that I'm going to work as usual, but then actually getting a train to Norwich at 7am with ALL THE MONEY I'VE SAVED AND BORROWED to buy a car I've never seen in the flesh, from a man I've never met.  Then drive home - hopefully in time to be there when she gets in from work.  At this point I act nonchalant and ask her how her day went, then pretend to make a weekend plan involving bicycles.

However.  Given the vehicular luck I've had recently, I have a feeling it could also end up on the hard shoulder with the bonnet up, looking around me for a cliff to jump off.

I suspect that many of us are familiar with the fear that I have right now...

But.  IF it works out for the best, I shall be a jubilant and annoying little shit for the next week at least.

Wish me luck shitey boys!

;)

It looks like a FUCKING CRACKER in the photos at least....

I've done this twice and thankfully both times the cars have been OK, the passat was a bit iffy at first, getting the advertised working aircon to actually work cost a fair bit but I've had it nearly 6 years now.  Best of luck fingers crossed.

I've done this twice and thankfully both times the cars have been OK, the passat was a bit iffy at first, getting the advertised working aircon to actually work cost a fair bit but I've had it nearly 6 years now.  Best of luck fingers crossed.

Cheers mate, it was a Pisshat I wanted actually, but the one on here sold to someone else, thus, this is happening.  Possibly for the better.  Hopefully a lot more fun in the long run...

Fresh MoT for the Metro today.

post-5013-0-52121700-1527190676_thumb.jpg

Renewal time used to be 1st March, which is a bit stupid really seeing as the roads are often covered in salt.  So I delayed it this year to a more sensible time, which meant I missed out on Austin Morris day at Brooklands this year (it gets a bit same old anyway so missing one year is probably a good thing).

Other news is the 623 has gone to a new home.  Initially it was to be a parts donor for another 623, but my mate mentioned the possibility of getting it fixed.  He's a mechanic so it'll only cost him the parts, so there's some hope that it'll see the road again.

In the meantime I've no desire to buy anything else, so I've borrowed my old R8 416 off my Dad.  Despite not liking it that much when I owned it I'm just grateful to have something that works, and actually second time around it's growing on me.  My Dad spent a fair bit for the MoT last year including a new exhaust and rear trailing arm bushes, but it's in desperate need of two new tyres so I'll get those sorted soon.  I really like the way it looks in all its duotone loveliness, which is why I bought it in the first place.  Sill ends and front arches are looking a bit crusty though, and there's a clunk from the front end, so there's a few things to keep me busy.

I'm keeping a keen eye on coolant levels as I don't want to break this one...

post-5013-0-43673900-1527192038_thumb.jpg

You don't want to jink and cause a HGF from that building behind!!

It's a shame that the visitor centres are no more and you can't have tours of the plant like you used to.

Yeah, exactly like that.........!

Just to confuse matters even more, "our" Merc doesn't have parking assist so this icon is the modern equivalent of a blanked-off switch or a clock where there should be a rev counter.

I didn’t try to park the damned thing - £1000 xs on the insurance I was keeping as far away from other cars as possible. I didn’t notice different ambience settings either. Comfort does me ok though, if that’s C. I did try the flappy paddles but gave up after a bit as it’s like having a butler and answering the door yourself.

Yesterday we drove the Juke from Balamory on Mull (via the ferry at Tobermory) to Mallaig yesterday and all the shit B roads with passing places caused the back box to separate just as we arrived at the ferry terminal. Got on the ferry to go to Skye and wife suggests we could go to nearest garage after docking. Logs onto Calmac Ferries WiFi and finds a garage 1/2 Mile up the road. They were a pleasure to deal with. Whilst we went and had cake they welded the middle pipe back to the flange where it meets the back box's flange.

20 quid. I gave the mechanic a fiver tip because even if it only lasts a couple more days at least our holiday is stress free.

Note. the rules of passing places are strictly adhered to and progress was made by one little toot and the car in front moves over. After 2 days on Skye which is full of Germans we are heading to Loch Ness. this may be a mistake.

I didn’t try to park the damned thing - £1000 xs on the insurance I was keeping as far away from other cars as possible. I didn’t notice different ambience settings either. Comfort does me ok though, if that’s C. I did try the flappy paddles but gave up after a bit as it’s like having a butler and answering the door yourself.

The different sporty settings are quite pronounced... Still not as fast as my Saab though ;)

I totally fail to see the point in flappy paddles on a car with 10 gears, you're never going to match them to the speed as fast as the auto can. Try it once then never touch them again.

Guest Hooli

Yesterday we drove the Juke from Balamory on Mull (via the ferry at Tobermory) to Mallaig yesterday and all the shit B roads with passing places caused the back box to separate just as we arrived at the ferry terminal. Got on the ferry to go to Skye and wife suggests we could go to nearest garage after docking. Logs onto Calmac Ferries WiFi and finds a garage 1/2 Mile up the road. They were a pleasure to deal with. Whilst we went and had cake they welded the middle pipe back to the flange where it meets the back box's flange.

20 quid. I gave the mechanic a fiver tip because even if it only lasts a couple more days at least our holiday is stress free.

Note. the rules of passing places are strictly adhered to and progress was made by one little toot and the car in front moves over. After 2 days on Skye which is full of Germans we are heading to Loch Ness. this may be a mistake.

If you don't already know, try the old military road on the south bank of Loch Ness. You get right by the water & it's almost empty.

Fresh MoT for the Metro today.

attachicon.gifmetro.jpg

Renewal time used to be 1st March, which is a bit stupid really seeing as the roads are often covered in salt.  So I delayed it this year to a more sensible time, which meant I missed out on Austin Morris day at Brooklands this year (it gets a bit same old anyway so missing one year is probably a good thing).

Other news is the 623 has gone to a new home.  Initially it was to be a parts donor for another 623, but my mate mentioned the possibility of getting it fixed.  He's a mechanic so it'll only cost him the parts, so there's some hope that it'll see the road again.

In the meantime I've no desire to buy anything else, so I've borrowed my old R8 416 off my Dad.  Despite not liking it that much when I owned it I'm just grateful to have something that works, and actually second time around it's growing on me.  My Dad spent a fair bit for the MoT last year including a new exhaust and rear trailing arm bushes, but it's in desperate need of two new tyres so I'll get those sorted soon.  I really like the way it looks in all its duotone loveliness, which is why I bought it in the first place.  Sill ends and front arches are looking a bit crusty though, and there's a clunk from the front end, so there's a few things to keep me busy.

attachicon.gif416.jpg

Dungeness??

Minivan of distinction passed it state inspection today.  Quite a lax test really as at least two of the CV boots are split and pissing grease about.

Got the garage to give me a quote to fit two new ones - $638.  Considering they are about $50 each I think $500 labour to change out the driveshafts on a fwd Honda seems like a lot.  I would guess at an hour each side at the most on a lift so perhaps they are trying to tell me something.

Here is the beast in question, complete with expertly colour-matched wing. 

post-17664-0-02462900-1527202605_thumb.jpg

Sell bumped into the chap at school with the knackered 1.9 zafira. Well the turbo had blew and wrecked engine. So he had a company in Manchester rebuild it with 2 yr guarantee,impressive. Total cost £2,357.00. He has had it back for a couple of weeks and now wants to swap it. Fault codes are on for accelerator and dpf. Owes the finance twice what it's worth so will be borrowing a lot of money to get rid. Says he likes the citreon Picasso and what do I think. I think they are lovely but just said make sure you get a warranty.

I am off on a 'collection fred' in a minute!

Not really worthy of its own thread as: you already know what it is and it's only a couple of miles away. But, I have sort of changed my mind(ish) as I want that Jaguar I saw the other day, why do cars take up so much room? If they would all fit in a watch box I could have dozens :)

Sell bumped into the chap at school with the knackered 1.9 zafira. Well the turbo had blew and wrecked engine. So he had a company in Manchester rebuild it with 2 yr guarantee,impressive. Total cost £2,357.00. He has had it back for a couple of weeks and now wants to swap it. Fault codes are on for accelerator and dpf. Owes the finance twice what it's worth so will be borrowing a lot of money to get rid. Says he likes the citreon Picasso and what do I think. I think they are lovely but just said make sure you get a warranty.

.... or buy Wilson2’s shite one for less than £100

Collection managed!

post-17745-0-19522700-1527244239_thumb.jpg

Phoebe and Chester love it: the rear window sills (cills) are the exact size for him to rest his fat head and spray drool down the side, while the seat is comfortable for Phoebe to lay down or stick her head out when she wants.

post-17745-0-17413400-1527244292_thumb.jpg

It drives really well, loads of go, 3 new tyres and 1 not very old, locking wheel nuts hacked off as key is lost! Interior is a bit scruffy but not KIA Magictits scruffy!  :) Will obviously get worse soon as muddy dogs and light leather....

post-17745-0-09720300-1527244334_thumb.jpg

Only thing it lacks is electric seats which I thought they all had? Just taxed it (£255 for the year) and it has a years MOT so good to go, just transferred the insurance from dollop to this dollop. Got a whole £4.91 refund :) 

ABS/BAS light came on when I first set off and took ages to clear (new brake light switch probably needed) and there was so little fuel in it I thought it was going to conk... but it didn't, happily!

It's quite a nice colour: supposed to be met black but looks sort of grey/flint colour, but also looks blue some times, odd. Few rusty scabs on wheel arches and the back bumper is misplaced on the passengers side rear and it's got scuffs on the rear bumper. If I like it, then I'll get the bits done, if not it, it'll be a raffle! Start saving for tickets now! :)

Nakamachi (or something like that stereo, are they any good/? Sounds nice as I have just put a CD in (Pink Floyd - Division Bell) and it sounds really good, bass/treble/midrange adjustments and they actually DO change the sound! Amazing. Just cleaned a few bits insid, steering wheel is really ground in muck which doesn't seem to want to relinquish its death grip but the armrest and door cards cleaned easily and well. Alarm has gone off twice while it was parked outside, so now unlocked and all the windows down so anyone can nick it - security conscious me!! :)

Currently at ConFuzzled, the UK's premier furry convention. Yes, really.

It seems that the Volvo 700/900 is the official car of the UK furry fandom:

post-4796-0-62402900-1527252061_thumb.jpg

post-4796-0-10182300-1527252076_thumb.jpg

post-4796-0-84095900-1527252094_thumb.jpg

post-4796-0-35101800-1527252103_thumb.jpg

The grey 940 is seriously nice and contains many interior parts salvaged from The Wentworth (remember that?), such as the black half leather half velour seats. Not the steering wheel, though, as that's in The Volvo ^^

EDIT: another 940 and a 240 have turned up. I'm trying to get as many of the cars as I can to the 'Motor Furs' meet tomorrow afternoon.