Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The new news 24 thread

• Please log in to reply
54421 replies to this topic

#49171 OFFLINE   HH-R

HH-R

chin-o tosspot silver cloud

• Full Members
  • 3,477 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • Locationin ur fridge eating ur foodz

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

Thankfully it looks like our neighbors driving days are over. We all suspected that she has been unfit (read: fucking blind) to drive for quite some time.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/949/42082...
2003 Peugeot 206 LX Auto by Matt S, on Flickr

I know it's only a 206, but that looks in good nick for being weighed in?

#49172 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,624 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

An A3 is quite wank too though. Compare like for like....

Agreed, the smaller entry level prestige models seem built to fit neatly into a PCP price point somewhere.

You two can have a mercaudibmw but it'll have shit spec and the neighbour's five year old focus will be quicker and nicer.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk
  • Laseraligningfoofooflanges likes this

2003 W203 C200 Kompressor

2004 Skoda Roomster

1998 Kawasaki ZZR1100

19?? Honda CB200 Twin

1988 Honda NE50 Vision

#49173 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,211 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:35 PM

Interior of said a-class.
4822614361b08856cb57aa50a3fbef2f.jpg

I can see why reviewers say that it looks like a £40 Android tablet grafted to the dash.
  • purplebargeken likes this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#49174 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,624 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Interior of said a-class.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018051...

I can see why reviewers say that it looks like a £40 Android tablet grafted to the dash.

Probably not far off the truth to be fair, it'll be a cheap tough screen and I wouldnt be surprised if its using some form of android with a mercedes wrapper over the top.

2004 Skoda Roomster

1998 Kawasaki ZZR1100

19?? Honda CB200 Twin

1988 Honda NE50 Vision

#49175 OFFLINE   MarvinsMom

MarvinsMom

• Full Members
  • 6,547 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationNorth Yorks

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

Out of 4 cars I have here, only one actually can be used. Unfortunately I need to get up at 5:15am for a business trip to a test chamber. So I had to conceed to renting a car. I was supposed to get an insignia but that apparently didn't get back on time. Shame as I was looking forward to driving one.

So instead they tried giving me a Qashqai - which I really didn't want. Instead they gave me a free "upgrade" to this.

I can't say I'm overly impressed with the insides. Doesn't feel like a premium car - certainly not what I expect from a Mercedes. Ride is comfortable but interior is a bit crappy.

Has a diesel lump in it attached to an auto box. The box is smooth but the diesel lump is unrefined and clattery. Reminds me of the 1.5 dci Renault units ... which after a quick Google it appears it is. Perfectly explains why it's good on fuel but noisy.

Stop+start is slow at kicking the engine back into life. Infotainment looks like it's been grafted onto the dash. Not particularly fast (actually it's pretty slow by modern standards). Seats are decent enough though and the ride is surprisingly comfortable over bumps. But then I've been driving a TT with 19" wheels and an A4 with s-line suspension, so my ride comfort assesment is probably skewed.

Will see what it's like after a proper drive tomorrow. Got quite a few a and b-roads to cover too.

If I got given one I wouldn't refuse it. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one though. Way better cars in the class.

the deisel ones of these have renault engines, and renault gearboxes, are built in a renault factory, in hungary.

most of the petrol ones are made in finland, only the AMG ones are made in germany.

one of the daft draffies at work has one, 350 bhp(or something equally stupid) out of a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine. its the tackiest pile of wank i've seen in a very long time.

i wouldn't want one given......

• SiC, Laseraligningfoofooflanges and jumpingjehovahs like this
Current Fleet-
1974 Mini 1000 PROJECT
1996 Lexus Ls400 IT LIVES!!
2001 Rover 75 CDT Tourer
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport
1995 Jaguar XJR-6 SOLD
1989 Austin Metro

#49176 OFFLINE   chodweaver

chodweaver

• Full Members
  • 1,805 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationCongleton

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:29 PM

File under 'biting off more than I can chew'
Also 'the death of optimism'

This is what happens when i read too many of Dave_numbers' accounts of epic saves with sheets of glass and a cuddly toy* - I get all ambitious and after two short evenings of applying plus gas and labelling bolts, I am getting close to ruining an engine. All cos I suspect a little bit of exhaust gas might be getting into the coolant.

Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.2319da0df5c0f60324783517d63f0575.jpg
  • worldofceri, catsinthewelder, DeeJay and 7 others like this

Vomit colour Corsa 1.4 Comfort badermatic (the one constant, reliable thing in my life /Quentin)

XM 2.1 SEDTurbo (leaky driveway ornament)

Chrysler Graf Spee Limited 3.3 + LPG (suspected OMGHG, ABS, AC and driver's seat heater failures)

LT Multicruiser (guest bedroom and backup kitchen)

Mk1 MR2 (rumours of its health are lies)

(I'm sure I've forgotten at least one...)

#49177 ONLINE   Matt

Matt

Suzuki apologist

• Full Members
  • 3,419 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationSouth West Scotland

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

I know it's only a 206, but that looks in good nick for being weighed in?

It was fucked.

If you open this photo up in full size by clicking here you can see that the front wing is bent out of shape and the rear quarter is creased up too, the other rear quarter was the same. Her driving was awful; my mum saw her in town driving with her sidewalls rubbing the kerb, I found her on a NSL road doing no more than 35, I saw her drive through the gates of her drive with the door open.. SMASH. Her driveway effectively makes a crossroads with the main street and a side street opposite and on one occasion she couldn't see that a driver wanting & indicating to turn right was waving her onto her driveway because she was blocking his entrance into the side street. It's as if she was assuming he was going straight despite their indicator and hand waving, there was no way she could see either.

41227701125_8132533de1_b.jpg

DSC_9671 by Matt S, on Flickr

#49178 OFFLINE   madrat

madrat

• Full Members
  • 620 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationLeicestershire

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:41 PM

I've said it before and Ill say it again, ALL drivers need assessing every 5 or 10 years.  It would stop people becoming complacent and lazy, and get bad drivers off the roads.

• Twiggy, Lacquer Peel, Squire_Dawson and 3 others like this

2004 Passat TDi 130 estate

2011 Splash 1.0 (teaching car)

2000 Ranger 520/4 (Caravan)

#49179 OFFLINE   Bobthebeard

Bobthebeard

Bobthebeard

• Full Members
  • 4,782 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationDoing a U turn where possible.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:45 PM

I've said it before and Ill say it again, ALL drivers need assessing every 5 or 10 years.  It would stop people becoming complacent and lazy, and get bad drivers off the roads.

Ahh yes, but assessing by who? All fine and dandy but in reality is it not just another 'they should do something about it " thing?
Nervously prodding at rust since 1978

1979 Triumph Dolomite 1850 HL Auto
2001 Rover 75 2.5 KV6 Connoisseur
2001 Saab 9-3 2.0t Auto Convertible
2002 Saab 9-5 2.3t Auto Estate
2003 Mazda MX-5
2004 Honda Accord 2.0 I Vtec

#49180 OFFLINE   adw1977

adw1977

• Full Members
  • 1,181 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

Being required to take an eye test at regular intervals to maintain your licence would be a good start.
  • Twiggy, DeeJay, Hooli and 1 other like this

My spots and brochure scans: https://[email protected]/albums

#49181 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,211 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:05 PM

the deisel ones of these have renault engines, and renault gearboxes, are built in a renault factory, in hungary.

most of the petrol ones are made in finland, only the AMG ones are made in germany.

one of the daft draffies at work has one, 350 bhp(or something equally stupid) out of a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine. its the tackiest pile of wank i've seen in a very long time.

i wouldn't want one given......

Is the auto gearboxes Renault? It has a 7 speed unit in it - I think a dual clutch unit (DCT). Certainly feels like a dual clutch unit like a DSG.

Interestingly it does a lot of similar things to my TTs DSG that has 110k more on the clock. Like when coming to a stop, you feel a slight thunk through the pedals. Also it's a bit slow when going drive to reverse. Letting go of the brake and pushing the accelerator doesn't lurch as much as the TT does but it still does it - probably as it has half the horses to do such a thing.

My biggest annoyance with it is the stop+start. I love stop+start but this is useless. When stationary, the engine stops immediately. So if you're parking and reversing in (I almost always do), engine stops, engage reverse and the engine splutters into life again. The worst is coming to a blind roundabout or give way junction. You pull up, unable to completely clearly see, so prepare to stop. Get to the junction, stop, engine stops. You see it's clear and go off again ... except you need to wait a second or two for the clatterbox to spring back into life again.
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#49182 ONLINE   Tayne

Tayne

• Full Members
  • 12,795 posts
  • 154 thanks
  • LocationThe Granite City of Aberdeen

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:29 PM

It was fucked. If you open this photo up in full size by clicking here you can see that the front wing is bent out of shape and the rear quarter is creased up too, the other rear quarter was the same. Her driving was awful; my mum saw her in town driving with her sidewalls rubbing the kerb, I found her on a NSL road doing no more than 35, I saw her drive through the gates of her drive with the door open.. SMASH. Her driveway effectively makes a crossroads with the main street and a side street opposite and on one occasion she couldn't see that a driver wanting & indicating to turn right was waving her onto her driveway because she was blocking his entrance into the side street. It's as if she was assuming he was going straight despite their indicator and hand waving, there was no way she could see either. https://farm1.staticflickr.com/963/41227...DSC_9671 by Matt S, on Flickr

How did she see to take the wheels off?

It always amuses me that e46s vie with the PT Cruiser as the car that's too shit for Autoshite, 

#49183 ONLINE   Matt

Matt

Suzuki apologist

• Full Members
  • 3,419 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationSouth West Scotland

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:42 PM

How did she see to take the wheels off?

Her son did it. I guess the tyres were still good or something (but he took the space saver too...)

#49184 ONLINE   Lord Sterling

Lord Sterling

• Full Members
  • 7,232 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • LocationWorcestershire or İstanbul, Türkiye

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:45 AM

It was fucked. If you open this photo up in full size by clicking here you can see that the front wing is bent out of shape and the rear quarter is creased up too, the other rear quarter was the same. Her driving was awful; my mum saw her in town driving with her sidewalls rubbing the kerb, I found her on a NSL road doing no more than 35, I saw her drive through the gates of her drive with the door open.. SMASH. Her driveway effectively makes a crossroads with the main street and a side street opposite and on one occasion she couldn't see that a driver wanting & indicating to turn right was waving her onto her driveway because she was blocking his entrance into the side street. It's as if she was assuming he was going straight despite their indicator and hand waving, there was no way she could see either. ]"Photo of Peugeot 206"DSC_9671 by Matt S, on Flickr

41227701125_8132533de1_b.jpg

Shame that. I quite like that colour on 206s. There was an exact same one parked by mine but in slightly worse condition, back nsr door was caved in, rear wing was creased, no wheel trims and generally looking scruffy.
.31109980376_e6f01e6edd_o.jpg

▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░..AUTOSHITE; bringing misery and despair to the world of motoring..░▒▓█▄▀▄▀▄

سبحان الله

AUTOSHITES CRUMBLING EXECUSHITE LEAGUE...
'03 BMW 316i SE - ...Daily; needs new expansion tank... :lol:
'97 Rover 825 Sterling auto - ...Needs; sills, radiator... :|
'95 Rover 827 Sterling auto - ...Needs; recommissioning... :(
'90 Rover 827 Sterling auto - ...Needs; head gasket... :sad:
'87 Rover 825 Sterling auto - ...Needs; reccomissioning... :neutral:
'87 Rover 820E auto - ...Garaged, needs recommissioning... :mrgreen:

#49185 OFFLINE   Amishtat

Amishtat

• Full Members
  • 448 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:03 AM

I haven't seen one of these locally for ages which doesn't look fucked. Literally every single one has dents, missing wheel trims or mismatched bumpers

#49186 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 14,543 posts
  • 49 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

One passed me on the m40 this morning with a stoved in rear 1/4 panel, which they all seem to have around here!
2001 Gooner2 Ph1 1.9Dci Expression (His)
2008 orl Vauxhalls r Shit Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#49187 OFFLINE   Mike D

Mike D

• Full Members
  • 1,259 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationChillin' at the beach down at Club Med

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:34 AM

I did some more fettling on the mini last night after its FTP – looks like the clutch arm adjusting nut locknut came loose and the adjusting nut wound itself tight so the arm couldn’t travel – unfortunately for the car my left boot had bent the clutch actuating arm, and the pedal.  This caused many headaches wondering why I suddenly couldn’t get it into gear any more – I’ve bent the pedal back now, replaced the arm and clevis pins all round, and the slave cylinder, and made an adjustable pushrod to take some of the slop out the linkages. It now seems to have a clutch and is back together, and I fitted a new dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs and leads, and a longer speedo cable too. It repaid me by having a flat battery when I went to start it to check it out – the ungrateful bastard.

It’s been on charge since last night so will hopefully be all good to go once I finish work later :)

• Angrydicky, cobblers, vulgalour and 5 others like this

#49188 ONLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 7,893 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

@SiC - stop start on an auto is a PITA imo

Also, that looks quite a lot like an a3 inside so I guess that segment of “premium not premium” is pretty similar throughout.

1997 R Nissan Primera GT

2002 02 Porsche Boxster S

2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access

#49189 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 27,463 posts
  • 77 thanks

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:03 AM

Yes, stop start can be irritating in the extreme. There's usually an override button. I'm usually quick to find it.

• madrat likes this

1972 Invacar Model 70, 1984 Reliant Fox

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1990 Dacia 1310

1999 Daewoo Matiz, 2000 Rover 45 V6, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twitter

#49190 OFFLINE   5speedracer

5speedracer

• Full Members
  • 670 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

Is the auto gearboxes Renault? It has a 7 speed unit in it - I think a dual clutch unit (DCT). Certainly feels like a dual clutch unit like a DSG.

Interestingly it does a lot of similar things to my TTs DSG that has 110k more on the clock. Like when coming to a stop, you feel a slight thunk through the pedals. Also it's a bit slow when going drive to reverse. Letting go of the brake and pushing the accelerator doesn't lurch as much as the TT does but it still does it - probably as it has half the horses to do such a thing.

My biggest annoyance with it is the stop+start. I love stop+start but this is useless. When stationary, the engine stops immediately. So if you're parking and reversing in (I almost always do), engine stops, engage reverse and the engine splutters into life again. The worst is coming to a blind roundabout or give way junction. You pull up, unable to completely clearly see, so prepare to stop. Get to the junction, stop, engine stops. You see it's clear and go off again ... except you need to wait a second or two for the clatterbox to spring back into life again.

Early pre facelift have the 1.8 Merc diesel when DCT and the 1.5 Renault when manual.
I've the 1.8 mapped to pretty much make it an A200d. First thing I do on startup is hit the turn off Eco switch!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

#49191 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

Caffeine-fuelled shitposting.

• Full Members
  • 6,037 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationScreaming into the abyss.

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/963/41227...

Shame that. I quite like that colour on 206s. There was an exact same one parked by mine but in slightly worse condition, back nsr door was caved in, rear wing was creased, no wheel trims and generally looking scruffy.

Moonstone Blue (or Moonstone Silver, whatever).

I had a 306 estate in that colour, which wasn't completely fucked! 'Twas a nice car, and it had veloooouuur seats.

#49192 ONLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 6,344 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

If there is any lurking 'ToyotaLurvve' around Carina2s...

A guy is binning off his auld fellas '88 1.6Auto @75k.

Giffa dings + a garage door drop onto bootlid!

"Metallic White"... Whatever that is?

On Toyota OC atm.

c. £500

Bit salty, but not much to choose from out there (not WhiteRoom prices).
  • loserone likes this

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_0815d58667.jpgSUCKS

#49193 OFFLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 11,377 posts
  • 44 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:14 AM

Link?
  • tooSavvy likes this

831096.png

858735.png

#49194 ONLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 6,344 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

Link?

Nope.... I think you might get a 'visitor lookin' option.. Dunno :/

https://www.toyotaow...ina-2-for-sale/
  • Jim Bell and egg like this

#49195 OFFLINE   egg

egg

Just another content provider

• Full Members
  • 6,350 posts
  • 61 thanks
  • LocationDown the Bay, Kent

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

Blue Mondy booked in for MOT on 29th May, third one in my hands. If all ok it will get some more love after that.

• danthecapriman, mrbenn and wrenchvolt like this

1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 GLX , 1995 Mazda 323c 1.5 auto.

#49196 OFFLINE   oldcars

oldcars

• Full Members
  • 6,108 posts
  • 35 thanks

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

Being required to take an eye test at regular intervals to maintain your licence would be a good start.

Pardon, what did you say  :mrgreen:

#49197 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,918 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

Toyota did do a metallic white, or rather a pearl white, but not until the Lexus came out I thought.  Before that I'm pretty sure all their cars were flat white.  So it's probably silver.

• tooSavvy likes this

#49198 ONLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 6,344 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

Toyota did do a metallic white, or rather a pearl white, but not until the Lexus came out I thought.  Before that I'm pretty sure all their cars were flat white.  So it's probably silver.

My 'eh!?' toyotally vindicated, then, Vulg ;)

#49199 ONLINE   HarmonicCheeseburger

HarmonicCheeseburger

• Full Members
  • 1,138 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationRawtenstall

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

Micra is booked in Mondays at my trusted mechanic for droplinks and suspected buggered balljoints to be replaced, hoping that is the extent of the issue.

• Lord Sterling likes this

1994 K11 1.0 CVT Micra - Spent way more then needed but loving it :)

#49200 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,624 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

This times a million. A medical with eye test and some sort of aptitude test would help weed out the more dangerous ones.

• madrat likes this

2004 Skoda Roomster

1998 Kawasaki ZZR1100

19?? Honda CB200 Twin

1988 Honda NE50 Vision

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

cort16