The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

How is the clutch fluid?

I've just nipped out to check (half way through my spag bol) and it's not dropped, although the slave is external on the mx5 so shouldn't affect the plates if it did leak. Last week, I drained the gearbox oil and measured what came out - exactly 2 litres as there should be. Which leaves the main crank seal as a possible suspect - the engine oil does drop a little over time so this may be the issue. It's a gearbox off job so the clutch may yet need replaced, time will tell.

I see the are still two places available for TrackScotland on the 31st, I wonder if I should risk it ?

Well,

The Mercury didn’t disappoint!! It was perfectly on form all day!

Got to the brides parents place early. Left there and got to the church fine. After the car had been stood outside the church for nearly an hour (in the sun too) it hot started first turn of the key. Made it all the way to the afternoon party thing afterwards no probs.

The car went down very well! Bride loved it, her dad loved his ride in it too. Even after they came out of the church some of the family members came over for a chat and look at it while the photographer did his bit.

The groom, who I work with, was over the moon with how the day went and appreciated the use of the car. Even on the way to the after party we stopped at a set of lights, some woman pulled up alongside us in the next lane and gave her congratulations to the newlyweds and said the car was stunning!

They got loads of photos done of the car, with bride & groom and bridesmaids and flower girls with it. It matched the colour of their dresses perfectly.

Overall a very good day!

I was absolutely shitting myself about doing it. The thought of it going wrong and ruining the day... I needn’t have worried in the end.

Took the car back afterwards and used the back roads most of the way. I took the ribbons off and gave it a good hooning which was also great fun.

Seems to be sorted now at least. Must have been that worn needle valve causing the trouble before.

So, I’ve now done my day of looking and acting respectable and I can now unclench and go back to my slobbish redneck ways!!

No pictures???

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Hope your over-tightened belt hasn't caused the water pump bearings to die...

yes i hope this isn't the case..... i have been and checked said belt, and its about the correct tension.

13mm odd deflection between the alternator pulley and the bottom crank pulley, or just about twist the belt through 90 degrees.

it could be that the pump is on its last legs though old age, but kerry thinks its the alternator. they are much easier to change!

No pictures???

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I’ve got two but I can’t get them off my shitty phone!

I can’t text them to another phone as multimedia messaging isn’t allowed on my company phone (unbelievable isn’t it!)

For some reason they won’t Bluetooth over either to my iPad. And it won’t even find the other phone in the house to Bluetooth them to that.

Can’t email them from that phone as it just asks me to set up an account.

Technology is fucking shit! I’ll see if I can get the younger guy at work to do it tomorrow! Fucked if I know how.

Guest Hooli

Have you got a hotmail or google mail email account? you could just use that via the phone's browser.

Have you got a hotmail or google mail email account? you could just use that via the phone's browser.

I have absolutely no idea!

There is some form of email on that phone as I could use it for my company emails. So I’m told.

I’m such a technophobe I don’t have a clue how though! I’ve got a company email address but I can’t use the phone to access them or send any from it as I have no idea how to.

Mind you, I don’t bother using it on the company computers either. I have to get the young guy to do emails and stuff on computers for me! I don’t have a clue how to use stuff like that! I wouldn’t know how to send an email even using outlook.

I only know how to use my iPad!

I'm not a fan of Facebooks tenticles but Whatsapp is incredably easy to use.  We have a couple of office dinosaurs who can't do anything on the computer and they can use it without trouble.

Bluetooth is a system designed so any piece of technology can talk to any other so naturally Apple fuck about with it just enough so it doesn't work between their products and other peoples.  I remember trying to get a train video from one phone to another was finally achieved after 40 minutes by sending it via someone elses smartwatch (which would talk to anything).

I attended my local car show, National Motoring Heritage Day in Berry, where there was some cracking automobiles which I neglected to photograph.

Shitest in show was going to go to a gold Volvo 262C, but a late contender came in and stole the show (for me):

e9819e4a577154e5a47df30667859c96.jpg

A Marina Coupé, in big six flavour with a twin carb set up from an Austin Kimberly.

68ece1bb7ff88c3c211ead6c46c049e6.jpg

Sounded nice and throaty and went like a stabbed rat. Phwoar!

The Jag drew quite a crowd which was unexpected, alas, no photo in the Jaguar line up so have a morning after photo of it covered in dew.

d3c739dae7c606bf7b2dd2eea09ccef4.jpg

All in all an excellent day out.

In other news, it appears dollywobbler is visiting my neighbours.

4a6e50029b030d2d34afa4431fa500c7.jpg

Rather less successful day on the 205 front today.  Well it would have been worrying if I'd had two good days in a row.

Got the new wheel cylinder fitted, eventually - took fugging ages to drill the bolts out and broke two drill bits - think the bolts must have been made of hardened steel or something.  Braking still hasn't been restored though - for some bizarre reason, the wheel cylinder doesn't take standard sized brake pipe unions, which are slightly too small.  I have no clue at this juncture what size it's supposed to take.  Of course I found this out after I'd fitted a standard union on the pipe and reflared it - so I'm going to have to cut this off and start again, and hope I don't run out of pipe - fitting a complete new pipe isn't an option as the union at the flexi end is just as shagged as the one at the cylinder end, and isn't going to come undone in a month of Sundays, at least not with any tools I have access to.  So for the moment it's sat there with a G-clamp on the flexi, which is less than ideal.

Also, the brake shoes I ordered are wrong.  Right diameter, right make, all the mounting holes etc are in the correct places, but they're about 1/2" too wide.  So I've shoved the old shoes back in for now, after saturating them with brake cleaner then giving them a quick rub down with sandpaper.  Probably not a long term solution, but should do for the MOT.  They aren't fitted properly yet as I couldn't remember what went where - normally I would make a record of where things go when removing the shoes, but on this occasion as soon as I removed the retaining springs everything pretty much fell out.  Fortunately I've found a video on Youtube of a chap doing the brake shoes on a 309, which are the same setup, so I think I can get it back together properly now.  I've given the drum a good clean out too so once the brake pipe union is sorted the car should be pretty much MOT ready (although I do have to stick it up on the ramps once it's got working brakes again and refit the rack boot properly).

I'm not a fan of Facebooks tenticles but Whatsapp is incredably easy to use.  We have a couple of office dinosaurs who can't do anything on the computer and they can use it without trouble.

If you're a Facebook skeptic, Telegram is an open source WhatsApp clone with an open source API etc.

Identical functionality, just not owned by Facebook. It's the LibreOffice of messaging apps.

Whilst fitting the wishbone I was visited by a fairly large and rather odd-looking beige insect.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180519_142551.jpg

The body looked like a moth, but it didn't have any wings - I wondered whether it had somehow lost its wings in some mishap as it looked a bit tottery on its feet, but then it seemed unlikely that it would have lost them in such a symmetrical manner. Anyway, came back round to the nearside of the car about half an hour later and it looked like this:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180519_153148.jpg

I'm no entomologist but I reckon it must have been a moth which had just come out of its chrysalis and was looking for somewhere to dry out its wings in the sun. Looked again another half hour later and it had buggered off.

I think it's an Angle shades. My first guess was a Buff arches but the wing markings are too bold...

https://www.ukmoths.org.uk/species/phlogophora-meticulosa/adult/

85827c2498de811e2e7798a1875c06ab.jpg

Rather less successful day on the 205 front today.  Well it would have been worrying if I'd had two good days in a row.

Got the new wheel cylinder fitted, eventually - took fugging ages to drill the bolts out and broke two drill bits - think the bolts must have been made of hardened steel or something.  Braking still hasn't been restored though - for some bizarre reason, the wheel cylinder doesn't take standard sized brake pipe unions, which are slightly too small.  I have no clue at this juncture what size it's supposed to take.  Of course I found this out after I'd fitted a standard union on the pipe and reflared it - so I'm going to have to cut this off and start again, and hope I don't run out of pipe - fitting a complete new pipe isn't an option as the union at the flexi end is just as shagged as the one at the cylinder end, and isn't going to come undone in a month of Sundays, at least not with any tools I have access to.  So for the moment it's sat there with a G-clamp on the flexi, which is less than ideal.

Also, the brake shoes I ordered are wrong.  Right diameter, right make, all the mounting holes etc are in the correct places, but they're about 1/2" too wide.  So I've shoved the old shoes back in for now, after saturating them with brake cleaner then giving them a quick rub down with sandpaper.  Probably not a long term solution, but should do for the MOT.  They aren't fitted properly yet as I couldn't remember what went where - normally I would make a record of where things go when removing the shoes, but on this occasion as soon as I removed the retaining springs everything pretty much fell out.  Fortunately I've found a video on Youtube of a chap doing the brake shoes on a 309, which are the same setup, so I think I can get it back together properly now.  I've given the drum a good clean out too so once the brake pipe union is sorted the car should be pretty much MOT ready (although I do have to stick it up on the ramps once it's got working brakes again and refit the rack boot properly).

I think they use that stupid bigger than normal union to stop you fitting the wrong cylinder, but surely a company the size of Peugeot could have required their two brake suppliers to make the linings and cylinders interchangeable. Its done just to give you extra buggeration.

I think they use that stupid bigger than normal union to stop you fitting the wrong cylinder, but surely a company the size of Peugeot could have required their two brake suppliers to make the linings and cylinders interchangeable. Its done just to give you extra buggeration.

That sounds about right. :roll:   So where does one get these unique-to-Girling unions from?  Are they main dealer only?  Do Pug main dealers even still stock 205 bits?

That sounds about right. :roll: So where does one get these unique-to-Girling unions from? Are they main dealer only? Do Pug main dealers even still stock 205 bits?

I don't know as mine has the normal size; I have a set of new linings and cylinders for the big size, free to a good home if you can use them...

Doesn't anyone notice that prices of classics are doing that thing that happens at the end of all asset bubbles when they rocket up beyond all sense before crashing back to earth leaving a lot of people with burnt fingers?

Problem is, this rise has been going on for so long now that people think it'll never happen. It has been predicted to happen many times in the past six or seven years, but those prices keep on going up.

I can't ignore the death shake any more. If it was at a certain speed I could but it starts at 40, and gets worse until about 85, and it's not practical to do 90 on the m40 in rush hour! So it's at the tyre place again, he said £8 a wheel, I said do all of them as I'd swapped the fronts to the backs to cure a shake on the old gooner.

I will waft to shitefest in relative comfort, I will! Should investigate why it's suddenly only doing 46mpg rather than 52 but I'm hoping the unbalanced wheels are causing that

Casually browsing with an idea in my head of going down to The Big City later in the year and buying another car. Wish I had the money sitting around if only to make the entire town think I'd got brain spiders...

xYaDCWZ.png

Car prices are 'weird' over here in general, certainly by UK standards. Not so much depreciation at the rubbish end of the market, so the stuff that gets tossed around here for 000s would often involve multiple 0000s, mid-life things are all over the place, and buying new is either surprisingly cheap if you're buying something local and unfashionable (e.g Ford will sell you a Focus, at least until they stop making them this side of the Atlantic, for about as many $ as £, even factoring in taxes - bearing in mind you'd get about $1.8 for your £1 right now) or staggeringly expensive - the number of people with $100,000 to throw around on the big modified diesel pickup trucks, cripes.

Problem is, this rise has been going on for so long now that people think it'll never happen. It has been predicted to happen many times in the past six or seven years, but those prices keep on going up.

True,but the increases seem to be turbocharged lately.That rapid increase after a long period of steady increase is often a sign that things will go pop quite quickly.