The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Oil and filter time on the Passat, plus air and cabin filter. While it was up on the ramps I noticed a wet patch on the bottom of the bumper, a bit of investigation revealed I have a dying radiator, its weeping all down one side. Now if I can just find where I put the Haynes book of lies I will know if I will be doing it myself or releasing my tame mechanic on it.

Fail! But not a bad fail in the grand scheme of things.

Will be done in a week or so.

Then probably for sale once I've cleaned it and tidied up the bits that need it.

As previously said, it will be cheap so £375 would take it.

DId you go to revolution in Basingstoke in the end?

While Mrs SiC was enjoying the sunshine and watching the wedding, I had plenty of time to get on with sorting the garage. This is an incredibly important thing I needed to do to prep ready to receive a certain Austin 1100. Both for storage and making it a lot easier to gather tools in and out of the back of the garage.

Originally the garage door was blocked by this shelving unit and other clutter. These shelving units are being replaced by a much more sturdy Clarke unit. This looks tidy, but I had already removed a lot of stuff that filled up all in front of this.

a3dab7c957c8424186fa27c72f80850b.jpg

This is just some of the stuff that was in the way.

30e61cb96490603a8db1007d06cb5e02.jpg

After most of this afternoon, I've got it to this stage. This leaves plenty of room in the front for storage on anything I strip off the car.

a44f127ca221a8d49cf80665a1e735b3.jpg

This is where I'll be doing the work. It's modest, compared to many peoples hobby spaces on here, but I'm very thankful for having what I've got.

2badc3f60049768b66e46b6597511c98.jpg

The only thing is that I wish I had more room to the sides. Thankfully old cars are a fair bit narrower, so it's not totally unusable.

I reckon you need my tool chest in there

I ended up buying this, which I think is nearly identical to yours - except missing the centre section. I had a load of Halfords vouchers given to me on my birthday and I needed to get it all sorted, so I just went out and got one when they had their last offer on.

8247d56874ab841c6ef2a054330ed06a.jpg

Made a new video to test my OLFI action camera. I was recommended to try one by Jonny Smith no less. I like the footage (albeit camera placement needs to improve) but I've had some complain that there's a high-pitched noise throughout - one folk my age and older probably can't hear. Anyone else get that?

both mini's have made it darn sarf.....

post-18270-0-34286700-1526758461_thumb.jpg

not quiet into Brighton yet (that is tommorrows "special stage" but have got to Aunty Monica's in Gravesend.

Rodney Mini hasn't missed a beat all the way here. we have found out that the petrol gauge tells complete lies. and that the thin little seats are suprisingly more comfortable that you would think.

only issues we have had is the alternator has worked itelf loose, so no horn for the last bit of the journey, but all tightened up and working now., and a sqeek coming from the exhaust. the exhaust is held on metall hangers which loop over the pipe bit and then fasten onto the rubber mounts, and its that which squeeks!! at least its nothing mechanical (i hope.....)

and what a journey, cross country via Wetwang to the Humber Bridge, then A15 to Lincoln. Sleaford and Peterborough, then A1, A14 M11 and M25 over the QE2 Bridge to Gravesend.

we know its the first time that the black mini that has been over that bridge (completed in 1991) and think it the first time over the Humber Bridge (completed 1981) - no pics though cos i was driving......

the Olfi seems a big improvement to me.

How big is your memory card?

I've only got a 16Gb card in at the moment, as one of the 32GB cards I had has gone duff. I'll have to pinch the one out of my dashcam for the Bulgaria trip, and perhaps turn the quality down (above filmed in 1080p 60 frames per second). Or just buy more memory cards along the way...

both mini's have made it darn sarf.....

attachicon.gifDSCN7407.JPG

not quiet into Brighton yet (that is tommorrows "special stage" but have got to Aunty Monica's in Gravesend.

Rodney Mini hasn't missed a beat all the way here. we have found out that the petrol gauge tells complete lies. and that the thin little seats are suprisingly more comfortable that you would think.

only issues we have had is the alternator has worked itelf loose, so no horn for the last bit of the journey, but all tightened up and working now., and a sqeek coming from the exhaust. the exhaust is held on metall hangers which loop over the pipe bit and then fasten onto the rubber mounts, and its that which squeeks!! at least its nothing mechanical (i hope.....)

and what a journey, cross country via Wetwang to the Humber Bridge, then A15 to Lincoln. Sleaford and Peterborough, then A1, A14 M11 and M2 over the QE2 Bridge to Gravesend.

we know its the first time that the black mini that has been over that bridge (completed in 1991) and think it the first time over the Humber Bridge (completed 1981) - no pics though cos i was driving......

I think I recognise that road.  I grew up in Gravesend right near Windmill Hill and did a lot of walking about when I was bored...

Speaking of the Mini rally, my landlord's granddaughter turned up today for some help with her F-reg mini.  Needed a bit of fettling because of a dead spot on the accelerator and a bit of a tidy up.  So I spent half an hour or so chatting to them both about cars and the like.  Lovely woman and my landlord is a fantastic old chap.  If anyone sees an F-reg, white mini with a blue roof and a very happy looking lady driving it tomorrow they're very approachable and friendly.

Also managed to get the cabin filter done on my Golf.  By God it needed it:

27345420457_b3370f33e7_b.jpgIMG_1277

oh and Marvin the metro has decided to throw a wobbler, seems all this mini fodelling has put his nose out of joint....

as a dirty protest, the heater matrix is now leaking.

joy.

and with the metro been a mark 2, it has a proper dahboard, with the heater box buried deep within it. i have a new, spare matrix, but think some, most or all of the dash needs to come out to get at it.

bugger.....

oh and Marvin the metro has decided to throw a wobbler, seems all this mini fodelling has put his nose out of joint....

as a dirty protest, the heater matrix is now leaking.

joy.

and with the metro been a mark 2, it has a proper dahboard, with the heater box buried deep within it. i have a new, spare matix, but think some, most or all of the dash needs to come out to get at it.

bugger.....

You've just got to love that kind of quality British engineering.