The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Removed silencer and tried again, straight kill, still don't like it, but as they won't take poison, or go in humane traps I don't have many options. This is by no means fun to me Bob!

Fair enough...

Have no issues with it.

Guest Hooli

It did bend a tad.... As long as it goes back to how it should be when lowered all ok.

I think..

Just don't open the doors while it's up there....

Just don't open the doors while it's up there....

My two door pillarless merc is the one car that will happily open the doors and close them again on a four post lift. And that includes my four door CX! 2cv doesn’t count as it has a separate chassis.i

More likely somewhere deep and out of the way.

It’s no worse really than all the nuclear powered subs and carriers.

I bet military devices are a bit tougher and more robust that a floating power plant!

Guest Hooli

I bet military devices are a bit tougher and more robust that a floating power plant!

I doubt it, ships are built to not get shot these days rather than survive being shot.

ihe reactors used on a submarine are much smaller, the reactor for a submarine are actually the size of a wheelie bin, which makes you think...

atomic reactors were also fitted to ice breakers and, experimentally even in an areoplane.

for some reason the americans fitted a reactor into the bomb bay of a retired B36 Peacemaker, cannot remember if it ever flew though....

the floating reactors that the russians have built for use in the artic are to provide heat and power to an oil production platform. the alternative is that they burn oil or gas instead.

i personally have no problem with thing like that.

Naval warships are designed to take a battering. Anti torpedo bulges, armour plate, waterproof bulkheads, firefighting kit, etc.

When you consider the number of hits it took to sink the Bismarck, Musashi, and Yamato, I should think it would take more to sink the Carl Vinson or Ronald Reagan using more modern material and designs. Although today’s weapons have evolved too, maybe one good hit would do it but it would involve all damage control being knocked out at the same time

Guest Hooli

for some reason the americans fitted a reactor into the bomb bay of a retired B36 Peacemaker, cannot remember if it ever flew though....

NB-36H. It did fly but never with the reactor powered up, I believe it was followed everywhere by a C-130 full of troops to start the clear up if it crashed. The Soviets did the same, but I can't recall which Tupleov their's was based on.

The idea was a bomber that could remain on station 24/7 with needing fuel so would always be ready to launch an attack.

ihe reactors used on a submarine are much smaller, the reactor for a submarine are actually the size of a wheelie bin, which makes you think...

Where did you get that information from. It's all hush hush and Official Sensitive or Confidential, so you really shouldn't be telling anyone what you know. Even if it is feck all LOL

Naval warships are designed to take a battering. Anti torpedo bulges, armour plate, waterproof bulkheads, firefighting kit, etc.

When you consider the number of hits it took to sink the Bismarck, Musashi, and Yamato, I should think it would take more to sink the Carl Vinson or Ronald Reagan using more modern material and designs. Although today’s weapons have evolved too, maybe one good hit would do it but it would involve all damage control being knocked out at the same time

One shot sank the Hood. But it had been lightened to be quick at the expense of strength.

The problem with radiation is that you don’t really get a little leak when something goes wrong in a big way.

Today I changed the power steering fluid on the Honda, the stuff that came out was a dark orange colour, new ATF cycled through, drained again, and refilled. 

The steering now feels a bit more taut, and doesn't knock when centring any more. :-D

Need a test drive but I'm working evenings so don't have time, daytime is tinker time, and I've got bikes to see to as well.

Compression tester is coming tomorrow, as Old Man is convinced the valves need lapping (?!). I think it's more likely a new set of plugs and HT leads will do it good as it's often a bit more sluggish to start than I'd expect (and I'm not sure the leads have been changed in 25 years/106k). We'll see anyway.

Unusually I got home from work well before dark today, so took advantage of the daylight and the dryness to investigate the feasibility of changing the cat on the C4.  Unsurprisingly, it looks like it's going to be a twat of a job.

To my surprise, all four nuts on the cat-to-manifold studs cracked off with no problem at all, and even the heat shield over the cat came off OK, despite the bolt heads being rusty as feck.  The problem is with the join between the cat / front pipe and the centre section - this is right over the subframe and the flange is at an awkward angle.  It's straight through bolts as well (13m bolt head and 10mm nuts), nothing sensible like a nice captive or owt.  I can get to the nuts easily enough, but obviously when I got my ratchet on them the whole bolts turned rather than the nuts undoing.  It's going to be an absolute arse to get anything onto the bolt heads to hold them - I can just about see one of them but I can't actually get my hand anywhere near it; the other one I can find by touch and fumble a 13mm socket onto, but then everything's so tight that I can't get the ratchet onto it, at least not without pissing around with extensions and universal joints.  Of course there's no way of getting to it from under the bonnet due to the stupid cab forward design meaning the engine is buried under the scuttle panel.  Bloody French cars...

I'm going to order a cat anyway though as they're only about 60 quid, and if it gets here in time I'll have a bash at it over the bank holiday when I've got more time and I'm not as knackered.

Guest Hooli

One shot sank the Hood. But it had been lightened to be quick at the expense of strength.

I believe she had an armour scheme as strong as Revenge class BBs, but a previous refit had put a 4" or 5" ammo locker above the main belt & that's what the shell touched off, that explosion was too much for the belt etc etc.

She was fast because of massive engines, about 130,000shp compared to 90,000shp in Nelson.

I believe she had an armour scheme as strong as Revenge class BBs, but a previous refit had put a 4" or 5" ammo locker above the main belt & that's what the shell touched off, that explosion was too much for the belt etc etc.

She was fast because of massive engines, about 130,000shp compared to 90,000shp in Nelson.

I was only going by what Jon Pertwee said - he was on it up to six hours before it sank. His parent's were told he'd died in it as news of his transfer hadn't been recorded yet. He said they'd stripped out a lot of plating to make it faster and made it a very unhappy ship.

Compression tester is here - the box is made of that shit Chinese paper-like plastic and says 'Made in China to Germany' on it. Did someone misinterpret 'change made in China to Germany'? :roll:

Instructions are in (disappointingly good) Chinglish, but the kit will be good enough for the few times I'll use it.

I've never heard that & read quite a lot on it, always time to learn though.

It may be on the bbc radio player - an audience with Jon Pertwee I think it was. He did say it was a lucky shot that got her, dropped straight into the magazine store.

Obviously a years old programme. Explained the sources of all his voices too - worzel gummidge and the navy lark.