The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I’ve just won a fiat x1/9 dealer poster on eBay by bidding a silly amount of money. It looks identical to my car though. I intend to get it framed, though that will certainly double the cost, then I’ve no idea where it will go.

It comes with a dealer brochure for the1988 cars. So I now have two of these to pass on if anyone is interested.

I have just spent the weekend in that East London at my neice's wedding. I was pleasaintly surprised that I enjoyed it, the funniest bit was watching my brother and nephew dropping the wedding car back at my neice's (and her new husband's) house. Two big blokes in an old VW beetle, with wedding ribbons on did attract a fair bit of attention. The Beetle has not been used much for years, but she wanted it as her wedding car and it's taken a few weeks for my brother to get it up and running.

post-3477-0-21548400-1525035518_thumb.jpg

It scrubbed up quite well. We took it up from West Wales on a trailer just to be on the safe side.

post-3477-0-08714100-1525035661_thumb.jpg

I had to drive the mother, grandmother and aunts in my brother's BMW, I was glad it was an automatic, but the built in SatNav was not good. At one point this afternoon when we were getting the cars back to the hotel I met my brother coming the opposite way, the traffic was so busy we were stopped alongside each other "why are you going the wrong way?" "I'm using the SatNav" "Well don't"

Fortunately by the time I was well and truly lost I found the TomTom SatNav and set that, ignored the built in one and got back to the hotel half an hour after my brother.

When we stopped at Leigh Delamere services we did not have the oldest car in the car park

post-3477-0-33030100-1525036182_thumb.jpg

Barrett will know what it is straight away, but for those who don't, it's a 1911 De Dion Bouton.

I'm home, I'm knackered, my brother had another two hours to go after he dropped me off, then had to unload the car before taking the trailer back. I think he will ask his other daughters to elope.

Drive it then Dan. That's the only way you'll know if it's right...

It's a fair comment. And keep something suitable for tapping the carbs if they get all sticky. Seems to work for Roadkill. Only problem is that if this happens on the wedding day, people may assume the car wants to make a toast.

Still got a rat problem in the garden, wont go near humaine traps and after 2 weeks they haven't touched poison? Running out of idea's.

It's a grim business.

I don't really like to kill anything, but they need to go. Have you tried a bucket of water based trap? My pal had great success with this but I think it was mice he was dealing with. Looks like a bleak end for the critters but he was catching them by the fistful.

It's a grim business.

I don't really like to kill anything, but they need to go. Have you tried a bucket of water based trap? My pal had great success with this but I think it was mice he was dealing with. Looks like a bleak end for the critters but he was catching them by the fistful.

I hate the idea of killing them, but as you say they have got to go, couldn't do the water way, would rather shoot them than that, dose anyone no anything about air guns? Havant used one since I was a teenager, had a good shooting eye though so might have to think about it.

Drive it then Dan. That's the only way you'll know if it's right...

It's a fair comment. And keep something suitable for tapping the carbs if they get all sticky. Seems to work for Roadkill. Only problem is that if this happens on the wedding day, people may assume the car wants to make a toast.

Very true.

I’ve got to fix the drivers seatbelt yet though! Something else that’s now broke! It’s jammed half retracted, won’t pull out at all and won’t retract either. Can’t really drive it legally without it.

Last time I used it the carb refurb seems to have worked. Plan is this weekend to get it out, give it a good spanking then see how it;

A: runs and drives

B: what it’s like restarting from hot after use. That’s what seemed to cause grief before.

I’m yet to be convinced it’s fixed tbh, but it has driven fine since the carb rebuild. I’ve just got absolutely no confidence in it. Time will tell I suppose.

I hate the idea of killing them, but as you say they have got to go, couldn't do the water way, would rather shoot them than that, dose anyone no anything about air guns? Havant used one since I was a teenager, had a good shooting eye though so might have to think about it.

I hate killing things too but feral rats are filthy disgusting and can be dangerous too. You can’t leave them, the longer you do the more established they’ll become and that means more of them.

I’ve had similar issues, poison worked for me but the unwanted side effects were a potential danger to any other wildlife and our dogs, plus the rats tended to eat the poison the run off and die in inaccessible places which caused vile smells when the corpse started rotting!

I’ve had good success with a cage and trap door trap. Bait it with peanut butter (they seem to love it!) then set trap overnight. I’ve had loads this way but you must keep an eye on the trap as it’s also caught a squirrel and even a robin before which I released!

Once you’ve caught a rat I use a scoped air rifle to dispose of them. It’s not a very pleasant thing to do tbh but you have to. A headshot is way quicker and less painful than other methods. Poison can be an awful slow death btw!

I’ve also used peanut butter to bait certain areas of the garden I know they use for feeding and runs then sit and watch, again using the rifle to take them out.

You don’t need to spend silly money on an air rifle. Some of them are mega bucks, nice guns but expensive! I think mine was about £400 new with a good scope and pest control pellets. You can get something easily good enough for the job for half that though. I only paid more as I wanted a decent brand (BSA) and an underlever spring compressor with fixed barrel. For taking out garden pests a cheap break barrel rifle should do the job.

Btw, if you do get a dead one make sure you bag and bin them! We’ve got a few foxes living in waste ground/woods over the back of the garden and they actually help keep the rats numbers down too.

I know foxes are pests too but I like them!