The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Driving the Princess this past month as sole transport has got me considering replacing the Rover with a BX again.  This is irrational and stupid.  The Rover is a very well sorted car, if I did nothing at all to it I expect it would soldier on happily for many thousands of miles.  It's also got me considering downsizing to just the Princess which is even more irrational and stupid.

We'll see how I feel in another six months or so when the Princess has had opportunity to have another one of its tantrums.

A local 2cver is selling his bx......

If anyone is interested or knows someone who might be please contact Bob

(07799280940)

Citroen BX 1.9 GTI

1991 (H)

Light grey

Sunroof with wind deflector

Steel wheels and 5 new tyres

New Battery

New starter motor

New cambelt

New wishbone bushes

Moss alarm (for security, not to warn of accumulating green stuff on the

bodywork)

MOT to April 29th 2019 Mileage 104,551. Only done 272 miles since 2015

It looks a bit tired at the moment but would clean up quite well. There is a

bit or rust both sides on the windscreen surround and an advice on minor

rust on the brake discs - probably because it needs driving.

Price £1200 but offers welcome

Viewing (at Eastergate near Chichester) would be required by the end of

April or after they come back from their travels.

post-8687-0-84277900-1524854861_thumb.jpeg

post-8687-0-63516400-1524854877_thumb.jpeg

post-8687-0-79914000-1524854887_thumb.jpeg

post-8687-0-02924700-1524854898_thumb.jpeg

post-8687-0-82606200-1524854911_thumb.jpeg

Is the max power generation making a comeback? I hear the low rumble of large exhausts, see many cars back on the floor etc.

'Dirtee South' stickers everywhere (https://www.dirteesouth.co.uk/)

I mean, I live in a Coastal town, which have always attracted this kind of scene.....but still....seems to have come round again

The max power lot can fuck off, noisy bloody arse holes.

Is the max power generation making a comeback? I hear the low rumble of large exhausts, see many cars back on the floor etc.

'Dirtee South' stickers everywhere (https://www.dirteesouth.co.uk/)

I mean, I live in a Coastal town, which have always attracted this kind of scene.....but still....seems to have come round again

It never went away in the hearts of some of us

Halfords are doing a "Flash Sale" for a day on their workshop bits. T-21mins till active. Active at 7am.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?shouldCachePage=true&msg=&catalogId=14552&storeId=10001&productId=721209&langId-1&langId=-1&cm_mmc=E-Mail-_-WK4-_-Flashsale-_-Active&cm_em=D72AE074-B7F4-4D1F-BE20-ABE756730DC1&_$ja=tsid:71018|cgn:April2018_2019|kw:WK4FlashsaleActive#/

I'm hoping their storage units will be on a reasonable offer (e.g. as per Xmas offers) as I'm really starting to need a proper toolchest now.

<p>

so, this happened yesterday:-

T787UEWNISSAN PRIMERA

Date tested24 April 2018 FAIL Mileage91,775 miles MOT test number6988 4899 5028 Test locationunavailable until further notice

Reason(s) for failure

• Power steering component(s) leaking Rack (2.3.3b) Dangerous
  • Nearside Front Outer Front constant velocity joint gaiter insecure to the extent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc (2.5.C.1a)
  • Nearside rear brake binding (3.7.B.1)
Advisory notice item(s)

• Offside Rear brake binding slightly
  • Rear registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)
  • Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

now I am not competent enough to do the rack myself and the garage have said they are not available (does anyone know any different?).

Should I look to find a refurbished one or cut my losses and look for a new(old) car.

For it's age it is quite clean with a couple of scabby bits, is it saleable as spares or repair?

Worth asking Primeradonor as they're quite popular as bangers so someone will have kept a spare rack

Speaking of the Max Power style making a come-back I just fitted a set of JDM yo drift FastnFurious not Blitz Tein HKS AAA++++ seller bonnet pins to the pickup truck. In my defence the bonnet flaps around in a very alarming manner at anything over about 45mph which is due to my nephew crashing it into a hedge while I was teaching him how to drive in a field and he slightly buckled the bonnet to the point where it wont sit right. Also the rod where the latch engages seems to be held on with rusty flakes and hope, so to prevent a bonnet/windscreen interference problem I put the pins on. I sprayed them body colour to make them slightly less obvious, but I still now look like the kind of choob that fits bonnet pins to an otherwise standard car.

I am also on the verge of fitting a subwoofer and amp in the rear footwell so I can further deafen myself with my mid-90s dance tunes. Judge me. I dont care.

In other news i got four tyres for the MGF as I noticed last week that all four were down to (and slightly beyond at the rear) the limit markers. Fuckin Uniroyal rainsports....excellent tyres but piss-poor wear rates. I would normally have bought Falken Zeix tyres as replacements which have wet grip as good as the Uniroyals and seem slightly hardier but spotted Kumhos online with good ratings for not too much dollar so I will give them a try.

The courier turned up to deliver them the other day while I was out at work and in an exceedingly fuckin rare display of common sense DIDNT just piss off back to the depot for redlivery sometime next week maybe, but lobbed them over the gate into the back garden instead.

I normally fit all my own tyres but....I dunno....getting old maybe? The thought of messing with the bead breaker, tyre levers, pot of lube, then fannying with my temperamental manual balancer just didnt appeal so I left the car up on blocks of wood and took wheels and new tyres into the local garage for local people in the local village who fitted them for a ten eurosheckels a corner and disposes of the old ones so I dont add to the already ridiculous tyre mountain at the farm. 

Had the 2CV's wheels powder coated, then clad with brand new Michelin 125s. I am very happy.

Db3jfLZWAAE1dWi.jpg

That's actually a reduction in tyre width, as I was running Toyo 135s on the front - not a bad budget tyre, but hopeless in the wet and not much cop in the snow. It's nice to be back on proper Michelins.

Turns out blowing compressed air into a fuel tank outlet is a bad idea. I hoped it would clean all the last bit out of the pickup pipe. In reality it fills the tank with compressed air, so when you remove the air line the fuel in the tank sprays out the outlet at quite a pressure.

I now stink even more of petrol. :?

71af6ec1be992007f613d1bc6763bc9d.jpg

Had the 2CV's wheels powder coated, then clad with brand new Michelin 125s. I am very happy.

Db3jfLZWAAE1dWi.jpg

That's actually a reduction in tyre width, as I was running Toyo 135s on the front - not a bad budget tyre, but hopeless in the wet and not much cop in the snow. It's nice to be back on proper Michelins.

I’ve found my Tokyo’s ok in both rain and snow. Not got stuck anyway. Of course they’re certainly not as grippy as Michelin’s but then they are a third the price. My last set of Michelin’s didn’t last either and cracked around the thread after only three years. Led to me ignoring the CCC website as some people won’t hear a word against them and got increasingly rude.

Uniroyal rainsport

I agree. Had a new set on my old Zx and their fucking good, I had to physically slow down a bit when pressing on in the pissing rain just because i would suddenly realise I was doing 80, they just made it drive like it was bone dry and sunny...

Wore the fronts over halfway down in 8 months/15k. Nearly fitted them to the xantia when I got new tyres for that but didn't (not that that mattered as I got rid of it 2 weeks later)

I saw someone blow an industrial compressor into a Reliant tank.

It burst the tank, petrol everywhere.

Regarding the vent, early caps were vented with a small hole, but the hole is that small the air wouldn't escape fast enough,

Yeah it's in the cap on mine.

5d73a5413c5488356cf9d9cf4d481a52.jpg

I’ve found my Tokyo’s ok in both rain and snow. Not got stuck anyway. Of course they’re certainly not as grippy as Michelin’s but then they are a third the price. My last set of Michelin’s didn’t last either and cracked around the thread after only three years. Led to me ignoring the CCC website as some people won’t hear a word against them and got increasingly rude.

That's a bit disappointing to hear. Mind you, the way I drive, there might not be much tread left after three years...

Yon loon (son) Jake's Honda Jazz (which was a handmedown from his big sister in Oct last year) rear exhaust silencer rotted through & fell off about 2 months ago. MOT is due in May, so on route to the classic car auction at Errol today we dropped it off for a free inspection and quote to repair with yeh olde National Tyres. The car is an 04 and has covered 165,000 miles. Hard to kill bastard of a thing.

They (National) phoned while we were at the auction with the bad news. The flanges are also rotten on the CAT and the Mid section so it needs a complete exhaust and that is - £720.00.

Jake did a double take, excuse me Mr National man, did you just say, £720.00?

Yes sir, I'm afraid so, yes. 

When he told me I almost wet myself laughing - £720.00 is the man a lunatic, I enquired? That's more than double what the car is worth...

So on the way back we check the car out which is still up on the ramp and yes the CAT and Mid section are original and yes the flanges are rotten and would probably break/crack when tools are applied, but £720.00, man! You're squeezing my melon, man....

Thanked the lad for his FOC time and brought the car hame, it runs away fine and isn't much more noisy without the back box which is currently resting in the boot. Although avg MPG has dropped from about 50 to about 43mpg. Shocking I know...  smiley.gif

Full system including an aftermarket CAT (bloody bollocks malarky) from Europarts is £200.00. Maybe £100 in labour to fit as long as the front pipe studs come out without too much bother.....? WCPGW.

Or and this is the plan - take it to Mark the bloody good welder at Almondbank and he'll weld on the back box to the mid section (both of which are fine) with an outer sleve for about £30.00. Jake can then bag the MOT and if the car lasts another 12months it's owe him/me nothing. I'm not committing to spending £300 on an shiny as feck exhaust only for the clutch to give up the ghost 6 weeks later. It cannot go on forever!

£720.00. I ask you... They must think my last name is Carnegie. :shock:

Enjoyed the madness that is the classic car auction at Errol and on the basis of today: my tidy R170 SLK 230 is deffo worth 26.5 millionty eleven pounds! :mrgreen:

56a58f46768ebe724c92371e61010465.jpg

I had a Vito 9 seater the other day to do a family airport run.

On the way back it popped up with a coffee cup. I thought that’s nice it’s telling me to have a drink.

Turns out it’s telling me that it’s been monitoring my driving and it thinks I am getting tired and driving badly.

F@&k you benzo I am just a crap driver okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've just got a brand new Sprinter at work so I'll watch out for the coffee cup.

Obviously it's been here a week and has already been slightly crashed into a telegraph pole.  Customer was very apologetic while I dashed around cable tieing and gaffer taping (and cracking) a Boxer mirror lense onto the tattered remains of the N/S mirror and tried to source a new numberplate when we haven't got the V5 yet.

post-4555-0-33075000-1524937745_thumb.jpg