Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The new news 24 thread

• Please log in to reply
48227 replies to this topic

#48211 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 4,121 posts
  • 48 thanks

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

Yes. historic tax is from date of manufacture; I don't think my post suggested otherwise!

But it isn't it's the April after it steps forward in an annual bloc. It doesn't roll by the day.

#48212 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 8,605 posts
  • 86 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:00 PM

Yes. historic tax is from date of manufacture; I don't think my post suggested otherwise!  But that wasn't the point anyway.  The point was the discrepancy between two DVSA documents as to when 40 year MOT exemption applies.

You said registration date for MOT exemptness.

I was double checking what I thought was correct for when I get my now 42 year old bike rebuilt & stuff.

#48213 OFFLINE   Beige 1100

Beige 1100

• Full Members
  • 113 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:04 PM

But it isn't it's the April after it steps forward in an annual bloc. It doesn't roll by the day.

That's exactly what I put in my post!  Quoting myself  "Historic tax doesn't apply (unless the rules on this have changed as well) until 1st April of the year following the year in which the car passed its 40th birthday."

Again, the point was that the comprehensive docs re 40 year MOT exemption tie it to historic tax (April 1st of the following year etc) whereas the summary doc of all changes coming in on May 20th states the MOT exemption will be a 40 year rolling limit from date of registration.

#48214 OFFLINE   Beige 1100

Beige 1100

• Full Members
  • 113 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

You said registration date for MOT exemptness.

I was double checking what I thought was correct for when I get my now 42 year old bike rebuilt & stuff.

Yes, the summary doc linked in my earlier post states MOT exemption is 40 years from date of registration (and rolling).  As per my previous posts this contradicts the full documents re MOT exemption which tie it to historic tax.

#48215 OFFLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

RELIABLE HONDA ENGINE

• Full Members
  • 7,333 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationRoyston Vasey

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

Changed the Prelude's front springs today for new Monroe items, so that's new springs and shocks now, and all the bushes checked to be OK. 

The tracking seems to be fine now but the ride height still seems to be uneven - I don't think cars sit level on my drive though  as it's sunk in well-used parts (the Volvo didn't sit right either) so as well as giving it time to settle and adjust to the new springs I'll have to check it on level ground at some pint

• mrbenn likes this

1993 Honda Prelude 2.0i

#48216 OFFLINE   Jon

Jon

• Full Members
  • 1,677 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNZ

Posted Yesterday, 03:16 AM

My Dutch neighbour has just called round to tell me about an article in one of our national papers, about "an armoured Peugeot like mine". 

Erm, yeah, right. An armoured 205 GTI. Whatevs.

pug10.jpg?width=766&upscale=false

pug8.jpg?width=766&upscale=false

Weird. Couldn't think of a worst base to start with for an armour protected car but then I suppose that the incongruousness of it is sort of the point.

http://www.driven.co...etproof-secret/

Still, it's nice to know he could correctly identify the car, despite their slight* dissimilarities:

pug2.jpg?width=766&upscale=false

White room show queen^

40679720335_f8e28ebf2b_c.jpg

Versus the crushing reality. Oh well, at least I can enjoy driving mine!

• The Moog, RobT, Lacquer Peel and 9 others like this

#48217 OFFLINE   Anthony

Anthony

• Full Members
  • 186 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 10:27 AM

On the subject of 205 GTi's....

With spring finally having sprung, I dragged one of the 205 from it's prolonged winter slumber, re-insured it (a whisker over £100 FC - bargain) and then sailed through it's MOT with no advisories.  Rewarded it with a service and replacing the suspected under-reading oil pressure sender - it's now gained about 2 bar across the board and now subjectively looks to read about what I'd expect and less like it's one redline from grenading.

DSC_0578.jpg

Looking at the MOT certificate, I only did 2500 miles in it last year which is bordering on criminal - it's no investment-grade concours example so deserves to be used and enjoyed whenever the opportunity arises.  The pleasure in these cars is driving them after all.

• HillmanImp, Jon, RobT and 8 others like this

#48218 OFFLINE   Jon

Jon

• Full Members
  • 1,677 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNZ

Posted Yesterday, 10:39 AM

Your 205 is Pebble Beach spec compared to mine (which is more Skegness Beach). Seems we've done over 50000 miles in it in 7 years, which is probably big miles for one nowadays. It's still the only car we own that gets notes under the wipers from hopeful buyers, though.

• RobT, WilsonWilson, egg and 1 other like this

#48219 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 05:34 PM

On the subject of 205 GTi's....

With spring finally having sprung, I dragged one of the 205 from it's prolonged winter slumber, re-insured it (a whisker over £100 FC - bargain) and then sailed through it's MOT with no advisories. Rewarded it with a service and replacing the suspected under-reading oil pressure sender - it's now gained about 2 bar across the board and now subjectively looks to read about what I'd expect and less like it's one redline from grenading.

https://s18.postimg.cc/q5732w6qx/DSC_057...

Looking at the MOT certificate, I only did 2500 miles in it last year which is bordering on criminal - it's no investment-grade concours example so deserves to be used and enjoyed whenever the opportunity arises. The pleasure in these cars is driving them after all.

I hate you, dude.

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  223k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  184k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  94k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  153k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#48220 OFFLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

RELIABLE HONDA ENGINE

• Full Members
  • 7,333 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationRoyston Vasey

Posted Yesterday, 06:53 PM

Tracking is as bad as ever :roll: but the ride height is level now! 

Time to start investigating rear suspension bits, there's one duff one I know of and have the part on the way, but what else could be hiding...

1993 Honda Prelude 2.0i

#48221 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,005 posts
  • 59 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted Yesterday, 07:19 PM

Went to the Black Country Museum today and had a thoroughly good time.

At the top is the car shed. Very much old car smell. Mrs SiC remarked that it smelt like me at night after I'd been fiddling with the car all day. Said in a way that it's not a good thing...

5e678643f0ba4873acccf58efbf75e6f.jpg
a1b2913dc0e627723e21c858cf8ab35a.jpg
a26ae277c498ec8a9b949a46b53de19b.jpg
862f0ac762b5bc9e6193f58527f2d60b.jpg
506ece43fc1054b222e8afd86b121b08.jpg
6ec55881fe65783bec2185bc5b50112d.jpg
39269cb0650a5586cbbf8222f5bcadad.jpg
1cad4596d6c6d7a51a0efa5b1575b2f7.jpg
fae29f3a6b1b1ba22e84289d0e86ba30.jpg
598f4d6f4d6058dd417765d940c435b5.jpg
cfb3aa6d8d6f222bce87e38ae2137440.jpg

Went in this lovely old bus. The No Spitting Sign made me chuckle. Shows people back then were just as rude as nowadays.
d5936b13d5693bbdba87d8cf4cf0cc0e.jpg
627de7ec06b070b2362cbd34251f1305.jpg

Some pictures of the main village:
79c315a6cb2e3f53a7c41400748b5815.jpg
72623da8e517ebcd58eb670614189d4b.jpg
e0b020466d330081732549a1d3950c61.jpg
3b3f3b6be3e557fffe13cf18b531932f.jpg
6dde88f9750d7f321fdb07cd42efdfe1.jpg
2253208406a83e987d894228a75cf4da.jpg
  • Fat_Pirate, HillmanImp, gm and 5 others like this
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#48222 OFFLINE   MarvinsMom

MarvinsMom

• Full Members
  • 5,943 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationNorth Yorks

Posted Yesterday, 08:09 PM

mini news....

the old school garage has put it through the mot (its last?)

Date tested20 April 2018 FAIL
Mileage71,305 miles
MOT test number8470 0369 3224
Test locationunavailable until further notice
Reason(s) for failure
  • Nearside Front Direction indicators not working (1.4.A.2c)
  • Central Front Direction indicators not working (1.4.A.2c)
  • Nearside Rear Direction indicators not working (1.4.A.2c)
  • Central Rear Direction indicators not working (1.4.A.2c)
  • Service brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.C.1a)
  • Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.C.1

ok, not really what i had hoped for, BUT not all that shabby for a car thats been off the road for 7 years.

they have got to the bottom (we hope) of the brake fiasco. one of the new NOS back plates wasn't all we thought it was, as the adjusters were loose, when the brakes were operating they were adjusting themselves out of true, and this was it seems why the brakes had a spongy pedal. 

all that cos one set of adjusters were loose! bloody hell.....

they have also diagnosed the clutch issue, the previous owner had changed the clutch master cylinder, but not the slave which was passing fluid like a good 'un.

so, we've got ourselves another, new good quality back plate for the n/s/f and a new genuine clutch slave cylinder, and an new heater valve. the first two are going on at the garage while the heater valve is something we will do. the rad wants a good flush out and some fresh water adding.

so maybe at last we are on the final leg to getting that car finnished.

the tyres are shot on the lexus. one of them has got a crack that has opened up where the tread starts on the tire and the others are about down to the tread indicators, so that is officially liad up now till payday and it gets treated to some new boots. we are going to change the bloody lot, as i guess even teh other not worn out tyre will be as old and manky as the one which has decided to split.

the little gay jeep remains broken, though the new front wheel bearings have been bought, they have still to be fitted. i think that will be done later in the year as kerry has put it on sorn now for summer. besides both the orange mini and the metro are both working, road legal and available, plus they also do better miles to the gallon than the suzi can manage. if kerry needs a car, she will be using one of them, such hardship...... i dunno how she will cope!

and so to the Rover, well that is i think starting its slide towards the great scrap yard in the sky. thursdayh been the hottest in a bloody long while, i was able to drive back home with the ac on and working. lovely. i was feeling pretty smug too passing various "kwalitl" tutonic turds whith their windows down, my ac was working and theirs, i guess wasn't. this morning i was rewarded by such snugness by finding that the blower fan no longer works.... the fan on the front of the car, thats fine, but the heater fan, thats as dead as a dead thing.

shit.

plus the car is making a burring sound when pulling away from been stationary, not all the time, but oftern enough. thats the dual mass flywheel chunttering away, so i guess it and the clutch are on their way out.

so, given that putting that right will cost many more times what the car is worth, that could well kill the rover.

which really is a shame as the car has been a good old bus over the last 4 years. and i'm not yet certain i want to get rid. BUT if i go and throw a shit load of money at the Rover for a new clutch and DMF, what the hell will be the next thing to break?

bumhats.......

Current Fleet-
1974 Mini 1000 PROJECT
1996 Lexus Ls400 IT LIVES!!
2001 Rover 75 CDT Tourer
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport
1995 Jaguar XJR-6 SOLD
1989 Austin Metro

#48223 OFFLINE   plasticvandan

plasticvandan

• Full Members
  • 2,092 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 08:56 PM

Tomorrow I set myself up for a day of stress,headscratching,worry,fear and hopefully elation.I'm fitting the sidecar into my MZ...
  • WilsonWilson likes this

#48224 OFFLINE   WilsonWilson

WilsonWilson

• Full Members
  • 9,585 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationUtopia

Posted Yesterday, 08:58 PM

Tomorrow I set myself up for a day of stress,headscratching,worry,fear and hopefully elation.I'm fitting the sidecar into my MZ...

Go with luck and the best wishes of us all.

• chodweaver likes this

#48225 OFFLINE   chodweaver

chodweaver

• Full Members
  • 1,362 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationCongleton

Posted Yesterday, 09:00 PM

I shall try to remain positive about the day's activities, rather than put them in the GOM thread.
The Chrysler Graf Spee is doing a good impression of OMGHGF so a borrowed compression tester was brought to bear - but it took me so effing long to get the rear bank of plugs out, the block was back to ambient temperature and kettle-like behaviour was no longer evident. Much added delay was caused by my utter confusion as to why the starter ceased to engage and turn the engine over as soon as I started to test the rear three cylinders.

But I'm such a twat. I tested the front bank with the plugs still in the rear bank, so cranking had ~half normal compression (and sounded relatively normal). When I'd taken the three rear plugs out too, cranking sounded like the starter motor on its own. Even a reading on the compression tester from one of the rear cylinders failed to make me realise that what I was hearing was just an engine with compression only in one cylinder.

On the plus side, I am now proficient at plug removal on the rear bank and even getting the fiddly adaptors for the compression tester screwed in is trivial. Good job too as it looks like I'll have to do it all over again with a hot engine to find out if and where I have HGF.

For balance, my forearms are cut to ribbons by the evil gaps I have been forcing them in and out of all afternoon. And the foul shit GM insulate the bulkhead with is ground well into my skin and itching me something chronic. And I've just realised I need to go out and get the battery out and put on charge, ready for the next attempt...
  • Keymaster, WilsonWilson and MarvinsMom like this

#48226 OFFLINE   WilsonWilson

WilsonWilson

• Full Members
  • 9,585 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationUtopia

Posted Yesterday, 09:02 PM

Never give up. Never surrender.

• Keymaster, chodweaver and GrumpiusMaximus like this

#48227 OFFLINE   robinmasters

robinmasters

• Full Members
  • 1,780 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 PM

Got my MOT certificate now. The only way I could tell there were no advisories was by looking it up on the internet. Progress!

Why do they issue a paper certificate at all? They can't be that hard to forge, being just black and white printed things with no barcode/watermark/other security measure. Anyone who needs to check you have an MOT does so electronically.

Even the base 308 diesel goes 113MPH and does 0-60MPH in 10.9s. For perspective that's not much slower than a Senator 3.0 12v.

About time Peugeot launched a faster, Lotus 308 then isn't it? (Or perhaps more accurately a Lotus C4 Picasso)
I used to have a signature, but now I don't.

#48228 OFFLINE   RobT

RobT

• Full Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationSE London

Posted Yesterday, 10:48 PM

I'm in France again for a short break, drove down to Normandy from Calais on Wednesday and am heading back tomorrow. I'm currently slurping a fair amount of Beaujolais which probably isn't wise considering I've got 350 miles to do tomorrow, but whatever. Mrs T can drive for a bit.

The 623 continues to soak up the miles, although it's a shame I couldn't get organised and get the aircon fixed as it's rather warm here, but lovely nonetheless.

Le Mont St Michel was on the itinery today. This is the closest you can get in a car nowadays. They've changed things quite a bit since I was here 18 years ago.

20180420_184316.jpg

The driver's window came off its runners today so I had to pop the door card off and do some fiddling. It's still not fixed so I've just gaffer taped the window to the door frame in the meantime, as I don't want it falling down into the door whilst I'm on the autoroute.

I do like coming over here. Shame all this Brexit bollocks has to happen, but best I leave that topic alone on here...I've always been a Francophile and will remain so. Even if they do like being shut for a large proportion of the day (Junkman approved comment).

Shite has been spotted. This BX for example, complete with trinkets.

20180420_113107.jpg

This V12 XJS woz mint. Being driven by a bloke who looked like George Hamilton, mahogany tan and all.

20180419_120117.jpg
  • WilsonWilson, Datsuncog, egg and 1 other like this
1982 miniMetro 1.0 L
1992 Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 CDi
1997 Ex-Bo11ox Rover 623 GSi

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shoysty