The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

You do seem to have a knack for buying autos that don’t like to be warm.

Would a fluid change sort this out or make it worse?

The DSG box needs it doing every 40k. Done about 33k since the last change. I suspect it won't do too much difference if it was changed. Especially if it's mechantronic unit at fault.

Just move somewhere colder.

I have said for them to keep the old thermostat so it can be put back in if it's troublesome. However I get the idea that they're not going to be too keen doing that job if I ask!

I've got to get to the bottom of mine. It's taken two litres of Dexron III already, is still slipping, and I suspect I might have slightly overfilled it.....

Yeah overfilling a slush box can blow the seals out and cause all manor of problems.

Mine also has a faint metallic grinding ish noise that I'm ignoring. Just assuming blissfully unaware that it's the tyres or something minor*. I really need to pull the filter out and check that there isn't metallic bits stuck to it. The DSG filter is just like a small cartridge engine oil filter, so easy to get to.

To be fair, it was very well behaved today before the work. Even though the thermostat is running cool, the coolant still is getting between 70-80C. So hopefully the new thermostat won't make any difference* to the box. Just improve the fuel consumption as running at the right temperature.

Had a visit from the police today. Nothing unusual due to my latest foster child being well known to most of Merseyside police. It's all ways nice when an old hand turns up and we can reminisce about who is still mad and bad ,who is dead ,who is serving twenty years and stuff like that from my old area in Prescot where I lived and huyton where I live now.

Honda gearbox has gone very stiff into/out of P. Tried to give it some excercise but that just resulted in a load of plastic shavings appearing around the selector. Erk.

Wasn't like that on Saturday, though...

Suspicious the selector cable is gubbed/needs lubricating.

Old Man keeps going on about compression testing the engine as he thinks it's down on power. I'm sceptical as the power is there if you want it, especially considering the gearbox has a 'sport' button that holds the gears longer, something none of Old Man's auto Hondas have had.

They aren't expensive so I might as well buy one.

It is somewhat reluctant to start though, takes more cranking than I'd expect.

Sadly not an old bus. Copy of a pre WWI London General B type, which didn't have pneumatic tyres, or a "J" registration. Cab has various bits that look like they can from a Routemaster.

Most of the underside is Ford D Series so its getting on a bit....Some days you can get on it with a young girl driver (mostly summertime) who double de-clutches it like a pro, real pleasure to hear!

How long does it take to rip the front bumper off a 67 plate Kia sorrento (or something)? 4 seconds...

Was behind Bev upstairs as we sauntered down the road and towards our overflow car park at work. Suddenly Bev stops dead as she smacks one of the Rhino posts in the middle of the road that wasn't put down this morning. She was doing about 15mph.

She then reverses and tears the thing off, ripping all the wires out of their connectors. I just stayed on the road and put the hazards on so no one swung into the back of her.

Oops

How long does it take to rip the front bumper off a 67 plate Kia sorrento (or something)? 4 seconds...

Was behind Bev upstairs as we sauntered down the road and towards our overflow car park at work. Suddenly Bev stops dead as she smacks one of the Rhino posts in the middle of the road that wasn't put down this morning. She was doing about 15mph.

She then reverses and tears the thing off, ripping all the wires out of their connectors. I just stayed on the road and put the hazards on so no one swung into the back of her.

Oops

Need a photo of the road to confirm how much of a fucktard she is - I suspect lots

She is. Screaming and shouting, made the head of facilities walk off... You hit the bright yellow post love... As shit as it is its kind of your fault. We got the bumper clipped onto the remains of the mountings, then as she drove into the car park I could hear the dash bonging with headlight faults!

Luckily she works upstairs now so I don't have to hear her go on about it all day, she used to be downstairs with us

Found this in the loft, it used to live in all my cars in the late 80s.  I think it cost £29.99 and used to make a massive improvement, may fit it to my MX5 (and be completely disappointed, no doubt).

attachicon.gif2018-04-24 20.23.52.jpg

As a teenager, I bought one of those planning to beef up the output from my ghettoblaster, not realising that it needed a hefty 12 v supply. Undaunted, I rigged up a car battery and charger and got the thing going - it sounded great until my mam came home and decreed that "you're not keeping that in your bedroom, you'll burn the house down". Shame, I was rather pleased with my efforts. It went back to Dixons for a refund :(

In my search for another car I have been sadly disappointed with the number and quality of chod around on Autotrader and eBay. I found where they are all hiding though, the sneaky bastards are on Gumtree! Never visited before, seems nice....

They've left it on the ramp to finish it tomorrow! They have said it's all back together now, but need to finish it off tomorrow. So I guess either they've got to finish bleeding it or something has snapped off.

My biggest fear is on the gearbox. It's bunny hopping when pulling off is heat related. At the moment its perfectly manageable and ok. With the thermostat changed, it's going to run hotter (~95c rather than ~70c). Hopefully this won't mean it plays up all the time worse. I have said for them to keep the old thermostat but I suspect they won't be in a rush to put it back on again.

Probably should have left the thermostat as was. Let sleeping dogs lie and all that.

Not heard anything this morning. Either its been pushed to the back of the yard completed or they're still swearing at it.

EDIT: Just phoned them. Its just waiting for a road test but they're really busy at the moment.

In my search for another car I have been sadly disappointed with the number and quality of chod around on Autotrader and eBay. I found where they are all hiding though, the sneaky bastards are on Gumtree! Never visited before, seems nice....

Beware gumtree thats where danger lies. You have to be doubly vigilant on gumtree lots of door step traders selling wonky old crocks .

Nice buy. Would be interested to hear how you get on Sir, been toying with buying one for a wee while and don't fancy spending more than my chod is worth.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neilsen-24-Volt-1-2-inch-Drive-Cordless-Impact-Wrench-Gun-With-2-Batteries-New-/162131982538?hash=item25bfd1b8ca

We use this one, there are many similar, possibly the same rebadged, at around that price.

Used it for a couple of seasons racing, will do our wheel nuts, maybe not everyones though.

TM8VU4L.jpg

Still enjoying Impreza ownership.

Getting a few more instances of rough running; toasted coil packs, j'accuse.

MYyhXRM.jpg

Scoobyclinic's getting the job of replacing the rocker cover gaskets. I can also get bottles of HKS Jinglish oil from the local ECP, which is nice.

Not heard anything this morning. Either its been pushed to the back of the yard completed or they're still swearing at it.

EDIT: Just phoned them. Its just waiting for a road test but they're really busy at the moment.

Well it's in. Biggest single bill I've ever had. Admittedly the cost of the strut took up the majority of the cost of this job.

d4b061927ec9f95b876ca59354711173.jpg

They test drove it and couldn't find any fault with the gearbox. However it's in stop+start traffic that it's the most noticeable and they probably didn't test too much of that. But then I'm probably over worrying about it and being too particular. As the Saab 9-5 that Hooli now owns and put 15k or so on...

Time to just use this as a car now.