The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Good luck!  Where have you taken it?  Our Golf is in for mot at North St today.

Walsgrave garage, been taking cars there for last 20 years. I did my apprenticeship at North street Garage, no idea what they are like these days since Alan passed away and Eddie retired.

Anyway he's passed! Got one of the new style mot's, unfortunately the advisories for 3 perished tyres are easy to read and not hidden away like some have said. Now to acquire some decent second 195/65/15 tyres as he won't be doing that much mileage due to his round town thirst.

So three vehicles Mot so far this year, just Shonky to go now next month and the Xantia before Xmas. You know when you have too many cars when its takes 15 minutes of musical chairs moving cars around to get the taxed ones out the front!

The Saab 9-5 now has new brake pipes following the close shave almost fail to stop moment. Now back in service.

The Triumph Dolomite is a bit less crusty as the footwells and boot holes have been repaired. Still cosmetically challenged but a weekend with some sanding and painting should sort that out.

No real progress on the Oldsmobile due to the above but is planned in....

Rover 75 boot leak finally fixed. Was the usual suspect of failed seal on one of the tail lights. Re sealed. Now dry following some epic rain.

Rover 416 has new springs, CV joint, flapping bumper corner fixed and a working clock. Just the timing belt to worry about. Oh, and the sunroof. It doesn't work. No power to the switch but fuse is good. Further investigation required.

Nice one on the working clock, they can be a pain to track down in working condition with the right fascia - the bubble dash 200s have the same unit as the R8, with a slightly rounder fascia, and it doesn't fit R8s (thanks Rover). While the guts are interchangeable (found out when I bought a clock on eBay but the image turned out to be stock and I got a bubble dash clock), changing them is pretty likely to make them stop working as you have to completely disassemble the clock, and the LCD just bleeds. Was it just the bulb, or more involved?

Airbag warning light came on in my lads Clio today. Went to have a look and noticed piles of crap on the floor under the passenger seat. Gave the airbag connectors a quick wiggle and lo and behold... Warning light goes out.

Level two dad bollocking delivered about keeping his car tidy so as to avoid me having to lie upside down half in and half out of his car in a moderate drizzle

Mrs Sims isn't 100% on a larger auto..although she does like the S-MX. She looked at Dollywobblers and said "it's very orange isn't it..."

Work continues. She is now scouring eBay apparently.

The wheels weren’t always orange. Quick sandblast and back to a standard finish - Home for tea and medals.

Just come back from the IoW. Happened to be a perfect time for great weather.

Nice view out over the Solent yesterday.

14588db60d8cfa5e7a78fb42a91f8722.jpg

Saw many old buildings.

a7f7f9afb323f52cd0db514ccbb7e2db.jpg

90f745d1d40d49bc6c3ede2f94d97c76.jpg

Then today on the way back, I convinced* my wife that we ought to go to Beaulieu. Surprisingly she agreed.

7e5b7b4a280b1e2358c6b2e4dee7a4df.jpg

Not many pictures as I spent most of the time staring at cars. Probably plenty of other threads on here detailing the many cars on display.

Rode in this old bus.

a882131446debd905c41ad197c74949c.jpg

Plush* cockpit.

76a4da4c9230fbd06174e414093e4559.jpg

Inside of a pinto.

d29fa3f4eb6363b5e4f2613d150f4b54.jpg

9092eaf3d4d4751427ea2619720fbe02.jpg

e8899bbe98f1b06fe6f0af9fec36bc62.jpg

Essential parts of a car.

abde5f81e26542e78712ea57a1363791.jpg

Not all Vauxhalls are shite.

2d7c0a9d19095cc5fe213818ffc4e8cd.jpg

My main complaint (apart for the £25 per person entrance fee), is the lack of 60s and 70s British cars. Loads of prewar stuff but not so much newer vehicles. This was the majority of it.

5810c1f2c2dcea0c3a3e310fb32517b9.jpg

e06a3d35fdc1198c532b563f316edf3c.jpg

f0165323d507966a61c9bfc999fdf96a.jpg

I do quite fancy a Herald after staring and examining this one.

Next up this year has to be Haynes Motor Museum again and Gaydon too. Especially to get my current obsession with 60s/70s British cars.

Decided to bass up my life with local sale ad on faecalache selling page, who needs boot space.. now can listen to 90s rave with the neighbours when i leave for work...

I keep having naughty thoughts about doing similar. Used to have a chav-tastic setup in my Puma, the mirrors used to shake. Dropped my Sub when I had it all out of the car when I sold it, then sold the amp.

Banging trance and decent rock, either was good!

Now time for a quick, boring update for a fast, boring car.

TT is in tomorrow to start work on replacing its front strut and thermostat. Hopefully will be done tomorrow but will vary depending how much work they have in. Strut apparently shouldn't be too bad if in the unlikely event nothing has siezed. However it turns out that VAG put the thermostat in a stupid place (whoda thought?). So it apparently requires the alternator to come off and a lot of fondling on the front of the block in a awkward position.

I'm glad I'm not having to do it.

Ordered enough paint to get the whole Princess done, and should have enough left over for future touch-ups if required.  Total cost?  £50.  I'd love to be able to afford a profressional respray, but I fear if I did I'd be scared to use the car.  At least this way it gets painted and I get to enjoy driving it.

Ordered enough paint to get the whole Princess done, and should have enough left over for future touch-ups if required.  Total cost?  £50.  I'd love to be able to afford a profressional respray, but I fear if I did I'd be scared to use the car.  At least this way it gets painted and I get to enjoy driving it.

5lt 'fordson grey' tekloid/rustoleum + poondland foamy roller?

And we get another set of highly enjoyable posts.  Your thread is gold.

Nice one on the working clock, they can be a pain to track down in working condition with the right fascia - the bubble dash 200s have the same unit as the R8, with a slightly rounder fascia, and it doesn't fit R8s (thanks Rover). While the guts are interchangeable (found out when I bought a clock on eBay but the image turned out to be stock and I got a bubble dash clock), changing them is pretty likely to make them stop working as you have to completely disassemble the clock, and the LCD just bleeds. Was it just the bulb, or more involved?

It was just the bulb thankfully.

Now time for a quick, boring update for a fast, boring car.

TT is in tomorrow to start work on replacing its front strut and thermostat. Hopefully will be done tomorrow but will vary depending how much work they have in. Strut apparently shouldn't be too bad if in the unlikely event nothing has siezed. However it turns out that VAG put the thermostat in a stupid place (whoda thought?). So it apparently requires the alternator to come off and a lot of fondling on the front of the block in a awkward position.

I'm glad I'm not having to do it.

Just had a call from the garage to say that they need the car overnight as it won't be finished today. Apparently the thermostat change on the 2.0 TFSi is worse job in the shop.

I'm not looking forward to the bill tomorrow. :?

Just posted a load of photos, covering letter and old V5 logbook back to DVLA for the Transit. Fingers crossed a new one will come back to me with the colour changed to ‘white’ and body changed to ‘motor caravan’.

Hopefully it’s all acceptable, there’s no way in hell this thing looks like a van anymore and it certainly can’t be used as one anymore either!

There’s a few more odd bits left in it to finish but it is pretty much finished and useable as a camper now. One project off the to do list.

Never mind the bill; they're not looking foward to doing that particular job!

They've left it on the ramp to finish it tomorrow! They have said it's all back together now, but need to finish it off tomorrow. So I guess either they've got to finish bleeding it or something has snapped off.

My biggest fear is on the gearbox. It's bunny hopping when pulling off is heat related. At the moment its perfectly manageable and ok. With the thermostat changed, it's going to run hotter (~95c rather than ~70c). Hopefully this won't mean it plays up all the time worse. I have said for them to keep the old thermostat but I suspect they won't be in a rush to put it back on again.

Probably should have left the thermostat as was. Let sleeping dogs lie and all that.