The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I still use MD on a daily basis in my little home studio. I was quite keen to make it ‘shite’ so have analogue mic amps and mixers and a plethora of dated kit lying around.

They were great little things really, especially if you had a good deck that made labelling and the suchlike easy. They enjoyed a limited success because of mp3s being almost simultaneously successful, but i absolutely loved my first ever Sharp unit and am looking for one as we speak!

Have an 8-track minidisc somewhere from some work I did when I was at school.

Still like to produce an MD player at work occasionally and ask the kids what they think it is.  Most of them don't have a clue!

I used minidisc when I used to mess about (and up) in a studio. Was a massive faff naming tracks on a minidisc Walkman which was all I had at home.

I used to have spare time in those days.

Shame it never really caught on. It was out of date and therefore cheap and a bit shite 15 years ago.

The cassettes are all D90s/120s that an old giffer used to record Radio 2 programmes onto.  I've probably sold about 200 so far, with another 500 left I reckon.  The Minidiscs are what we used to use in the studio for playout of pre-recorded/produced items and I've been slowly archiving anything worth keeping onto HDD/Cloud.

If you have any with good recordings of Brian Matthew Sounds of the Sixties I am interested please.

If you have any with good recordings of Brian Matthew Sounds of the Sixties I am interested please.

Literally, a hundred? Maybe two hundred??

They are all on D120s so entire shows. They are selling quite well on eBay, but happy to sell you some if you’re genuinely interested. Drop me a line if so.

Also a shed load of Johnnie Walker drivetime shows from the late 90s.

My grandad died today, he was 95, which is a damn fine innings.

His cars included:

Austin 1100

Yellow Cavalier Mk1 1600L (S plate)

Blue Sierra 1.6L (F plate)

Red Vauxhall Corsa Breeze ('new' S plate)

I bet I don't get to that age what with the horrible 21st Century diet and my stresshead life!

I hate waiting to hear the outcome of a job interview. If you think I'm a useless twat, tell me there and then, I'm an adult. I can take it. If you are going to give me a job, let me know by the time you said you were going to let me know, save me growling at everyone and wearing a line down the hall carpet and checking my phone and email every 14 seconds.

My grandad died today, he was 95, which is a damn fine innings.

His cars included:

Austin 1100

Yellow Cavalier Mk1 1600L (S plate)

Blue Sierra 1.6L (F plate)

Red Vauxhall Corsa Breeze ('new' S plate)

I bet I don't get to that age what with the horrible 21st Century diet and my stresshead life!

Sorry to hear that. But, as you say, a good innings. And some fine automobiles owned!

Guest Hooli

I am currently flailing / shitting bricks just a little bit.

Got a job interview next Thursday... in Birmingham.

I managed to get flights for a decent price, so that's sorted, and got the time off the current job. Still, the closing date for applications was way back at the beginning of February, I thought I hadn't got it and had totally forgotten about it. I then got an email last night saying come for interview next week please.

AARGH!

Still, potential 40% salary increase is worth it.

Good luck.

First thing I did when I bought the Saab, if I get a puncture, I'm already likely to be late - I don't want to then be restricted to 50mph on the doughnut tyre.

If anyone wants the space saver by the way, will happily dish out for postage costs when I'm back in the UK.

I had a puncture on a hire car in Varna in Bulgaria a few years ago.

The spacesaver tyre was speedrated to over 100mph but the wheel had 40kmh stickers all over it.

I figured 40kmh was to avoid the liability of the car cornering better to one side than the other.

So I drove it all the way Bucharest in Romania on the spacesaver.

Never ceases to surprise me how little they seem to command second/third-hand. Lowest I've yet seen was £300 for a running one.

They're not known for their reliability or fuel economy. And they are in the £fuckmehowmuch? Tax bracket. They have to be very cheap to sell as the purchase price is peanuts compared to the running costs.

RX-7s were never sold in the numbers RX-8s were.

RX-8s were also a lot cheaper; early FDs were Porsche 968 money BITD.

I remember Mazda struggled to sell the FD RX7 in the UK; think they managed to shift something like 118 cars in the end. Can't remember what the on-the-road price was, but somewhere between £27k and £35k, I think. Pity, it was good to look at and the twin-turbo was apparently quite handy.

I am currently flailing / shitting bricks just a little bit.

Got a job interview next Thursday... in Birmingham.

I managed to get flights for a decent price, so that's sorted, and got the time off the current job. Still, the closing date for applications was way back at the beginning of February, I thought I hadn't got it and had totally forgotten about it. I then got an email last night saying come for interview next week please.

where is the interview? local knowledge can be your friend

I had a puncture on a hire car in Varna in Bulgaria a few years ago.

The spacesaver tyre was speedrated to over 100mph but the wheel had 40kmh stickers all over it.

I figured 40kmh was to avoid the liability of the car cornering better to one side than the other.

So I drove it all the way Bucharest in Romania on the spacesaver.

The spare wheel in the Rover has a "limited to 50mph" sticker on it.  It's a boggo 175/65R14 on a normal steel wheel.  Odd.

I know. I seen him today and he has had the car for 14 months. So nearly four years to pay for a ornament. I also would be looking to make it disappear but he didn't take gap insurance and the insurance value is maybe £2,500 for a total loss. So fecked either way. To be fair he was so made up to get finance ,at a silly rate. That he never really asked about the small details. Myself I would be handing it back to the finance company and sorting a payment plan on the outstanding balance.

They would offer him fuck all with the engine like that. £2500 in the hand would go a long way to the repayments.

Cars before 2006 weren't in the high tax bracket and that is when they sold the most of them, I think they were available through some company car schemes too. As for the reliability, Mazda changed their mind on the oil fairly early on and if you keep on top of oil changes and regularly thrash it to the red line it really goes a long way to help the life cycle of the engines. The Series 2 cars (only sold 800 in the UK) have a better engine design with a extra oil injection port which should help the engine too. There don't seem to be as many failed engines on these cars as the earlier ones, I have an R3 myself which is coming up to 82k on its original engine. The one I'm going to look at is an 08 plate Series 1 which needs a bit of bodywork on the front but if it runs and drives as I'm told is a steal really.

The spare wheel in the Rover has a "limited to 50mph" sticker on it.  It's a boggo 175/65R14 on a normal steel wheel.  Odd.

Depends if it was the same size as the road wheels, as it *could* affect the handling.. elf and safety.. and arse covering.

I remember Mazda struggled to sell the FD RX7 in the UK; think they managed to shift something like 118 cars in the end. Can't remember what the on-the-road price was, but somewhere between £27k and £35k, I think. Pity, it was good to look at and the twin-turbo was apparently quite handy.

I think there's one local to me, I occasionally see an M plate FD in dark blue-green, always on the same stretch of road between my house and the A57. Looks clean.

Used to be someone a street over from me with a Mitsubishi 3000GT too.

I know. I seen him today and he has had the car for 14 months. So nearly four years to pay for a ornament. I also would be looking to make it disappear but he didn't take gap insurance and the insurance value is maybe £2,500 for a total loss. So fecked either way. To be fair he was so made up to get finance ,at a silly rate. That he never really asked about the small details. Myself I would be handing it back to the finance company and sorting a payment plan on the outstanding balance.

That car should still be expected to last 14 months. If he were to take that to court then they would agree. I have seen cases won after 2 years of ownership. Tell the garage (politely, i hate all this ranty 'i know my rights talk) that you don't want to but will have to go down this route.

If no joy then mention also that the car could also be vinyl wrapped with the specifics of the complaint written on it and parked near the garage.

Also tell them you only want the car fixed but if you have to go to court then they will not only incur your and the courts legal fees but your costs for loss of earnings, hire car, etc.

That car should still be expected to last 14 months. If he were to take that to court then they would agree.

Given that the garage arranged finance over the period of 5 years for the vehicle, it could be argued that the vehicle can be reasonably expected to function (with normal servicing and maintenance and possibly the odd part failure) for that period of time. Certainly 14 months is nowhere near long enough service from a many-thousand-pound vehice.

Yes, sale of goods act now places the burden of proof on the owner as it's over 6 months since the sale, but the level of catastrophic failure of this engine goes a long way to suggest that all was not well with the vehilce when it was sold, and hence the garage need to step up and fix this, or at least make an offer of some sort.

He’s got no chance after that period of time of getting anything out of the garage unless it has a paid warranty they’ll tell him to fro. He could try in court and he may have a case if there isn’t a pdi but if they do this shot a lot you can bet they’re good on arse covering. To be fair to them how would they know the cars not been driven off the limiter for 12 months?

While it’s a shit situation and I’m not a fan of these high interest car loan companies who exploit people who struggle with credit you need to be responsible for your own actions .

I see a lot of stuff from the car dealer side and some of the stuff customers try on would make your nose bleed .