The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Sorry to hear about your grandad, I'm about to lose my last grandparent too. His last days.

Thanks, still a shock, as although he was long term ill ( ICD device, several bypasses and lung cancer ) it was a simple chest infection that did it. Anyway, as is my lot in life I’m up to wrexham to be a pall bearer. My life seems to be six funerals and two weddings recently. Depressed? Hell yes.

That could be a good result.

Alas he thinks it's too salty and has left to 'think about it', no numbers were mentioned (I'd have accepted 800)...

The bloke from Newcastle is coming down next Tuesday, he said he'd seen my posts on the VOC forum so knows absolutely everything about the car which is good. I'm tempted to view the Prelude I want sooner and maybe leave a deposit in anticipation but I'm not sure. It's in Blackburn...

Further development, going to look at it tomorrow. The mild seep from the Volvo's rad is leaking quite badly now (pipe butchery to fit a gearbox cooler in 1997) so it may be being sold slowly if my interested party doesn't go for it. Parents are keen on the Prelude (Old Man had a later one a while ago, same mechanicals in a different body) and generally likes Hondas, and the mother is keen based on previous experience. It's looking good. Seems they want me to have it.

Been scrolling through DaveSpencer32's videos on YouTube, some superb stuff in there. He's clearly a bus and lorry fanatic and has 30 years worth of clips up on his YouTube page. I've been firing in registrations into the DVLA website all morning and so far I've only found 2 cars that are still taxed and MOT'd today.

They are from this video and are oddly enough both in the same shot! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtvCU4c-lbs&t=95s

post-4610-0-35734000-1521631990_thumb.jpg

post-4610-0-72698400-1521632073_thumb.jpg

post-4610-0-88323700-1521632092_thumb.jpg

post-4610-0-88449700-1521632020_thumb.jpg

I love finding stuff like this, it's perhaps a little unsurprising to see that two 4X4 cars that were clearly built to last are still chugging away some 22 years later but it's still nice to think that they are still cared for and maintained.

Had to dismantle my angle grinder that died after 3 seconds of use. Turns out one of the neutral cables was fouling the mechanism inside and had been severed instantly once the machine ran, proof that you shouldn't get a Chinese child to do a man's job.

In all seriousness all that is stopping the cables flopping about inside is the fact they are loosely wrapped around some plastic pegs. Do not like.

i ARE OFFICIALLY INSANE.  I have just washed ell dollop as the thought of salt on its flanks was hurting my thinking thing, it is still effin' cold and wrapped up in a big coat and hat washng your car seems to make people ponder as to your suitability to live in society.

Still, no salt on her, one less excuse for her to go rusty and dissolve on the roadway.

Also done the hoovering and walked the dogs. I am knackered an my body hurts from head to toe (slight exaggeration, my left little toe is fine) and I know that I am going to be in agony later. But still, it's done.

i ARE OFFICIALLY INSANE.  I have just washed ell dollop as the thought of salt on its flanks was hurting my thinking thing, it is still effin' cold and wrapped up in a big coat and hat washng your car seems to make people ponder as to your suitability to live in society.

Still, no salt on her, one less excuse for her to go rusty and dissolve on the roadway.

Also done the hoovering and walked the dogs. I am knackered an my body hurts from head to toe (slight exaggeration, my left little toe is fine) and I know that I am going to be in agony later. But still, it's done.

You know what's also insane?

It's quite mild up in Aberdeen today, yet you're still talking about it being cold down in Cornwall! Ha!

Home!

Prelude drives lovely. Paid a bit more than I wanted, but it's super tidy all round, 2.0 auto, local (Blackburn) and low miles (106k). 3 keys, service history, 3 previous owners blah blah.

It's a lot easier to drive sensibly than the Volvo as well, and does a lot better on fuel, one of my main reasons for changing.

Arches are mostly good (especially by 90s Honda standards) with a little bubbling at the back but nothing serious. Power delivery is silky smooth and as DW mentioned the steering is ace.

It's just like the 200 I had but bigger and more refined, which is what I wanted really.

Couple of niggly bits like a non-working sunroof (surprise) and broken trip counter, but everything else is good.

Points of order:

new ATF (piece of piss)

change radio as it's a bit Carlos Fandango

front shocks

drive

Home!

Prelude drives lovely. Paid a bit more than I wanted, but it's super tidy all round, 2.0 auto, local (Blackburn) and low miles (106k). 3 keys, service history, 3 previous owners blah blah.

It's a lot easier to drive sensibly than the Volvo as well, and does a lot better on fuel, one of my main reasons for changing.

Arches are mostly good (especially by 90s Honda standards) with a little bubbling at the back but nothing serious. Power delivery is silky smooth and as DW mentioned the steering is ace.

It's just like the 200 I had but bigger and more refined, which is what I wanted really.

Couple of niggly bits like a non-working sunroof (surprise) and broken trip counter, but everything else is good.

Points of order:

new ATF (piece of piss)

change radio as it's a bit Carlos Fandango

drive

Absolutely love these, as did Setright as you'll be well aware but I'll post this here anyway:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/car-culture/ljk-setrights-favourite-cars-revealed-car-archive-october-1992/

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I loved my Prelude - a red 2.2 manual. Think that generation design has aged really well. Shame there aren't more about.

2.0 auto for me. I agree, the interior is fantastic, with just the right balance of sensibility and unique Honda weirdness and the car has a modern driving 'feel' like a much newer sporty/handling oriented car (made me think of Binis).

It is indeed a shame they're uncommon, hence me snapping this one up. Rusty manuals, or 2.2/2.3s show up fairly often at around £800 but they're thrashed to an inch of their lives, and generally not great. This one was a smidge over a grand but I feel it's worth it.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

That looks a great buy. Fantastic colour. I'd recommend flushing the entire transmission lines if you can. That's what the chap did with my S-MX, and it did improve matters. Think he took all the solenoids off to clear any crud out of their little gauze filters too. Shame they're such a fragile gearbox, as they work well when fit. 

The colour is lovely isnt it? Cassis Red Pearl, so probably a cost option, as were the wheels (they're in the accessory brochure which is on Flickr). Car also has J9MAY etched in all the glass and on the service book, plate was on it from new and through the second owners time with it.

Well used to the autoboxes - Old Man had one ten years ago (will have to find a pic) and we all loved it, and this is the fourth auto Honda we've had ('98 Prelude, '00 Civic, '94 216, '93 Prelude). It's in good hands, and I'm well used to the D and F series engines too. They're cracking.