Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The new news 24 thread

• Please log in to reply
50748 replies to this topic

#46741 ONLINE   adw1977

adw1977

• Full Members
  • 905 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

Spotted a Talbot Solara - C499 SLY - in traffic near Hanger Lane Gyratory just now....

Screenshot_20180314-123430.png

This was my rather crap photo of it in 2012 in South London. It's a run out Rapier model and is now enthusiast owned.
  • Barry Cade., mk2_craig, dollywobbler and 11 others like this

My spots and brochure scans: https://[email protected]/albums

#46742 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 2,050 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20180314-123430.png

This was my rather crap photo of it in 2012 in South London. It's a run out Rapier model and is now enthusiast owned.

That's the one. It was sitting in the Northbound queue for Hanger Lane when I passed it.

F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#46743 ONLINE   Talbot

Talbot

Express

• Full Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • Locationdowel.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

Might be interested in the compressor depending on size and price etc.

Dean.. do you need a compressor? Somehow I have ended up with five. Take your pick:

50L Clarke single-cylinder thumper, with an over-size motor on it (about 3.5kW) meaning it draws over the 13A that a normal plug can supply. Currently working off a bit of 15A fuse wire jammed down the side of a blown fuse, but really needs to be on a 16A plug.

50L unknown brand Twin-cylinder thumper. 2.5kW Draws about 10A and runs well, if a little noisy.

2x 50L silent compressor. These are a bit like fridge compressors, so are beautifully quiet, but are oiled and they do use some oil in use. Low power though (two 500W heads) and are not continuously rated, so are lower-duty, but still excellent for most things. Staggeringly expensive when new.

15L quietish compressor. 1Kw Oil-free head, but continuously rated. Smaller than the others.

I do not need five compressors.
  • purplebargeken likes this
Current fleet:  Mercedes.  Xantia.  Berlingo.  Discovery.  Forward Control.  Nova. Historic shite.

#46744 OFFLINE   Shep Shepherd

Shep Shepherd

DOGGAGE!

• Full Members
  • 3,772 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:32 PM

Taking advantage of the mild weather and my renewed enthusiasm for all things Volvoish, I finally got around to fitting The Volvo's new 'old font' number plates today, in lieu of the existing ones which had been on the car since 2004 and had been on my Rover 214 Si for four years before that. As a consequence they were delaminating in places:

DYQFkH9XcAAYTKz.jpg

DYQFkISWkAAGRXD.jpg

The Gs are a bit odd, but the plates are far, far better than the narrow font-type alternatives, which I think look ghastly on any car made before the late 1990s.

Next significant job will be to repair the broken wires in the driver's door wiring loom, which have caused intermittent problems with the nearside rear door electrics for ages now. I have enough spare wires of the right colour as the new instrument cluster came with a goodly amount of the donor car's wiring loom still attached. Alternatively, I may buy a good used door loom from somewhere.

• danthecapriman, Angrydicky, Heritage motor centre and 8 others like this

Cars come and cars go, but The Volvo abides.

2003 - Date: The Volvo - 1990 Volvo 740 SE Dogmatic estate.

2016 - Date: The Aero - 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT manual estate.

#46745 OFFLINE   gm

gm

• Full Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationFalkirk - we've got a wheeeel !

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

following last years debacle at mot time (does it / does it not need a catalyst ?), I planned ahead and refitted the cat to my mx5 for it's test yesterday. of course, it still failed on emissions !
not the end of the world as that was the only fail and a couple of crusty brake pipes in the advisory section.

the lads at the garage suggested a bottle of cataclean and a bloody good ragging to clean things up. not a problem, it turns out that I rather like thrashing the shite out of this little car.
so half a tank of fuel and magic potion, I took it back for a retest. still a fucking fail !

ok, plan c : I've borrowed the catalyst off a mates car, his passed the test last week so should hopefully be up to the job.

watch this space
  • Jim Bell, DVee8 and dome like this

#46746 OFFLINE   flat4alfa

flat4alfa

• Full Members
  • 8,633 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • LocationMoving further way from Gunsmoke Luton soon

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:10 PM

Posted this in the Wanted Offered thread to zilch response.  Trying again here as bailing beckons

Best offer

Rover 418 Turbo Diesel

XUD7, TD, Lucas CAV pump

Engine great, drives great.  Was a dependable 3k covered WBOD last year (on classic insurance)

Runs, drives, MOT out as the sills are shot both sides.  Arches grim.  Wings grim.  BUT All complete otherwise.  Arch repair panels and sills are off the shelf, for beer event money

Kept it back for spares for my 420, but wife wants it out of the way.  Drives onto trailer.  Or trade-plate it, it will get you home and beyond.

Steel wheels now fitted.  Toyed with the idea of fitting engine and gearbox to a Maxi, but pipe dreams like that never materialise.

13235290_10154720419994918_172063332528814567979_10155191763594918_1380881830171  video of engine running is available

• Talbot, Shep Shepherd, oldcars and 1 other like this

BMW E39 SE, Alfa 33 Mk1 QO, Rover R8s: T-series & XUD, Alfa 156 Wagon, funny face Multipla, 80s Honda Aerodeck 
BMW E46 TourerRover 75 CDTiVauxhall FB VX4/90, Daimler XJ40AvantimeX1/9Alfa 146 boxer, Acclaim, XM veg, Maxi, Alfa 6, Alfa 33 QV, Alfa 155, TreviBeta SaloonsLandcrab, P6BRover R8 dervs, FuegoAlfasuds128, 131 and everything else

#46747 ONLINE   Talbot

Talbot

Express

• Full Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • Locationdowel.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

XUD7, TD, Lucas CAV pump

I take back what I said in the Xantia thread about it being the worst example of an XUD buried under pipes and shit.

Were it not for said Xantia, I might have had this.
  • The Moog likes this
Current fleet:  Mercedes.  Xantia.  Berlingo.  Discovery.  Forward Control.  Nova. Historic shite.

#46748 OFFLINE   flat4alfa

flat4alfa

• Full Members
  • 8,633 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • LocationMoving further way from Gunsmoke Luton soon

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

I take back what I said in the Xantia thread about it being the worst example of an XUD buried under pipes and shit.

TBH, IMHE, the CAVs in these have never given me any trouble as the reputation suggests.  Probably because the reputation really is just because they aren't as strong when pushing through veg oil.  But why would you want to do that, not in 100% w/v form anyhow

Pipes and shit expanded view:

13235290_10154720419994918_1720633325288

#46749 OFFLINE   Jams

Jams

• Full Members
  • 419 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

Got home nice an early from work run myself a big hot bath and cracked a beer open..

Then phone starts it’s a mate from work... such and such has had his van robbed! Generally shocked at this and laugh it off. Other mate calls me up dates me on things the vans been found locked up in tk macks car park in Manchester! Again I’m laughing as it’s very fortunate for the lad! Soon as I’m on the bath bloody phone goes again! “Jay can you pop to manch... no no no bloody no and piss off looks like Manchester feds aren’t bothered and they want lads to block the van in!

Impressive tracker action though! I never (hoped) thought they worked!
  • Hooli likes this

#46750 OFFLINE   gm

gm

• Full Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationFalkirk - we've got a wheeeel !

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

following last years debacle at mot time (does it / does it not need a catalyst ?), I planned ahead and refitted the cat to my mx5 for it's test yesterday. of course, it still failed on emissions !
not the end of the world as that was the only fail and a couple of crusty brake pipes in the advisory section.

the lads at the garage suggested a bottle of cataclean and a bloody good ragging to clean things up. not a problem, it turns out that I rather like thrashing the shite out of this little car.
so half a tank of fuel and magic potion, I took it back for a retest. still a fucking fail !

ok, plan c : I've borrowed the catalyst off a mates car, his passed the test last week so should hopefully be up to the job.

watch this space

so it turned out that the first cat contained very little in the way of gubbins, once the replacement was fitted, it flew* through the test.

the lads were suitably rewarded :

image.jpg
  • The Moog, Jim Bell, dome and 8 others like this

#46751 ONLINE   Rod/b

Rod/b

• Full Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationUnder the bonnet

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Dear, dear old boy. Since 1998 when Saab released the 9-5 they put in ventilated leather seats as a option. In recent times, even wealthy peasant cars like the latest Mustang has these seats. These allow your farts to be recirculated around and extracted from the carbon interior filter. Plus any sweatyness can be dried out by the integral fan blowing dry, warm air from the HVAC system.

Even a redneck’s farm vehicle like my F150 has heated and air conditioned seats. Unfortunately rear seat passengers only get heated seats.

#46752 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 2,050 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

Taking advantage of the mild weather and my renewed enthusiasm for all things Volvoish, I finally got around to fitting The Volvo's new 'old font' number plates today,....

I think Lex Brooklands Colindale is still going....or at least there is an active Volvo dealership in Colindale.

• Shep Shepherd likes this
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#46753 OFFLINE   Shep Shepherd

Shep Shepherd

DOGGAGE!

• Full Members
  • 3,772 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

The Volvo was supplied new by Lex Brooklands Colindale. It's called Volvo Cars North London now, having previously been known as H.R. Owen.

#46754 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 6,758 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:08 PM

Taking advantage of the mild weather and my renewed enthusiasm for all things Volvoish, I finally got around to fitting The Volvo's new 'old font' number plates today, in lieu of the existing ones which had been on the car since 2004 and had been on my Rover 214 Si for four years before that. As a consequence they were delaminating in places:

DYQFkH9XcAAYTKz.jpg

DYQFkISWkAAGRXD.jpg

The Gs are a bit odd, but the plates are far, far better than the narrow font-type alternatives, which I think look ghastly on any car made before the late 1990s.

Next significant job will be to repair the broken wires in the driver's door wiring loom, which have caused intermittent problems with the nearside rear door electrics for ages now. I have enough spare wires of the right colour as the new instrument cluster came with a goodly amount of the donor car's wiring loom still attached.

I love the gsd plate on this being a lover of the German shepherd, I can't remember whether ive mentioned it in the past
  • Shep Shepherd likes this
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#46755 OFFLINE   Shep Shepherd

Shep Shepherd

DOGGAGE!

• Full Members
  • 3,772 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

My love of German Shepherds is why I have the number plate ^^

• fordperv and DeeJay like this

#46756 ONLINE   Asimo

Asimo

Hondamatic

• Full Members
  • 4,922 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationRe-booting....

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

MOT pass with no advisories for the Renault Alpine which is great. Booked in for it's wallet bursting clutch and rear subframe restore next week.

I enjoyed the "rear subframe restore" job.

Life got in the way and I never finished putting the car back together but I had this ornament in the sitting room for months.

IMG.jpg

• Barry Cade., Hertz, The Moog and 11 others like this

#46757 OFFLINE   RayMK

RayMK

• Full Members
  • 920 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationMidlands

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

Looks more artistic than anything in the Tate Modern  :-D .

• purplebargeken, Squire_Dawson, egg and 2 others like this

#46758 OFFLINE   Danterzza

Danterzza

• Full Members
  • 3,175 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDerby

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

Sent a deposit of for a motor hopefully collecting weekend!
  • cort16, The Moog, DVee8 and 1 other like this

#46759 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 20,285 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

Is it or could it be in the liability thread?
  • The Moog likes this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#46760 OFFLINE   busmansholiday

busmansholiday

• Full Members
  • 644 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of South Yorkshire

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

Received a letter from my energy company today. Inside was a cheque for thirty quid to compensate me for them not turning up to install my smart meters. Thing was I cancelled the installation due to the weather. Fortunately my honesty lasted about 5 seconds, that's going in the holiday fund!!!!
  • DeeJay, purplebargeken, chodweaver and 2 others like this

#46761 OFFLINE   Danterzza

Danterzza

• Full Members
  • 3,175 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDerby

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

Is it or could it be in the liability thread?

Not really. Its from the 70’s and unreliable. So it’s a liability. It was also pretty cheap. So maybe yeah.

#46762 OFFLINE   Tam

Tam

• Full Members
  • 410 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationKirrie Hills

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

Not sure where these should go. But I took them today so!

Scarecrow Shite! The farmers around here have a habit of using old cars as bird fleggers 8)

Attached Images

• DSCF3183.jpg
  • DSCF3182.jpg

• cobblers, RobT, Lacquer Peel and 8 others like this

64 P6 2000,   74 P6 3500s,   75 P6 3500,    92 R8 214 Si,    03 90 Def.,    03 75 CDT,                

04 25 TD Lagoon,    04 ZT 135+,     04 ZR 1O5+ Lagoon,    05 ZT 135+ Lagoon,    05 ZR 105   -   PICTURES 

#46763 OFFLINE   Tam

Tam

• Full Members
  • 410 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationKirrie Hills

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:42 PM

And another!

Attached Images

• DSCF3185.jpg
  • DSCF3184.jpg

• cobblers, RobT, Lacquer Peel and 5 others like this

64 P6 2000,   74 P6 3500s,   75 P6 3500,    92 R8 214 Si,    03 90 Def.,    03 75 CDT,                

04 25 TD Lagoon,    04 ZT 135+,     04 ZR 1O5+ Lagoon,    05 ZT 135+ Lagoon,    05 ZR 105   -   PICTURES 

#46764 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 9,943 posts
  • 109 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:45 PM

Not sure where these should go. But I took them today so!

Scarecrow Shite! The farmers around here have a habit of using old cars as bird fleggers 8)

Twin headlights, must be a posh one.

#46765 OFFLINE   somewhatfoolish

somewhatfoolish

• Full Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationArgyll&Buteshire

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:20 AM

How does that work then? Are shitehawks afraid of old rammel?

• The Moog and Skizzer like this

#46766 OFFLINE   Bradders59

Bradders59

• Full Members
  • 144 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:35 AM

Ive taxed worse than that.

• dome, alcyonecorporation, clayts450 and 2 others like this

Current cars. Omega 3.2 Elite. Mercedes 190D 2.5 manual.

#46767 OFFLINE   Jon

Jon

• Full Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationNZ

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:06 AM

Mrs_Jon's Clio is having issues, so is off the road. Thus, 28 year old 205 has been pressed into service and was collected from my cousin earlier this week, as he'd been loaned it long term.

The modern* Mondeo is serving its purpose but occasionally smells clutchy, which I think is mechanical death knell stuff for a scruffy Mk3 petrol. Currently at 354000km.

The Commodore's motor is still in the garage not being fitted 3 YEARS after it arrived. The Visa needs final fettling from HGF and the Land Rover is a long term project that I've not touched in weeks. Quite rightly, Mrs_Jon wants me to pull my finger out and get stuff fixed.

Therefore, I've just paid for a car I gave a 4 minute once over in the rain a few days ago, when it was parked out on the owner's street. That said, it's a literal once in a lifetime opportunity to bag one of these in NZ and it's road legal and therefore mega practical and is both shite and desirable, to boot so it just had to be done. Didn't it?!

• chaseracer, STUNO, gm and 10 others like this

#46768 OFFLINE   drum

drum

• Full Members
  • 2,630 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationKirriemuir

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

How does that work then? Are shitehawks afraid of old rammel?

Meant to stop the geese landing for a snack.
'68 land rover 109 3.3 perkins
'71 land rover tacr1 x2
'73 puch maxi 0.05
'79 Brown allegro 1.1
'93 Maestro 1.3
'01 omega 2.6
'81 Oldsmobile 5.7

#46769 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 6,758 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

Twin headlights, must be a posh one.

Probably a GL looking at it
  • Hooli likes this
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#46770 OFFLINE   DVee8

DVee8

• Full Members
  • 5,902 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationOn the settee

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

My multi-car insurance is due next month.The renewal has gone up £21.to £724

A quick look on line.

Direct line came up first,so tried them almost £200 cheaper.

Direct line it is then.

Edit *At the moment a happy insurance post* If spending money on insurance is happy for once.It may not last!

• egg and Tadhg Tiogar like this

Just rolling along

Daimler 250 V8 1968

BMW 320dGT M-Sport.

Nissan X-Trail N-tec

5 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer, adw1977, mercedade, coalnotdole