Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The new news 24 thread

• Please log in to reply
54399 replies to this topic

#45451 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,281 posts
  • 161 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

Could just be their initials.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#45452 ONLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 12,503 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

Private plates have been getting more and more tenuous recently.  When I were a lad it was either a pre-suffix plate or a Norn Iron number.  Since then they have grown steadily more diverse as society has become ever shallower and more narcissistic.  It started with suffix and prefix plates with only one number, then two numbers the same, then three either the same or sequential, and now it seems pretty much anything can be sold as a "unique" private plate.  Yet another aspect of modernity that I really don't understand.

• Talbot likes this

#45453 OFFLINE   mercrocker

mercrocker

Morris Major Elite

• Full Members
  • 7,709 posts
  • 64 thanks
  • LocationNew Forest

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

If ever the day comes (hopefully never) when I have to drive something with a two-letter prefix it will damn sure be getting a cover plate so I at least have a registration format that makes any sense to me.

• Angrydicky and BorniteIdentity like this

1963 Morry Thou

1955 Cowley

1987 VW T25 Holdsworth

1990 190E

197? Portafold Caravan 

2000 Fiesta Zetec Ghia

#45454 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

Caffeine-fuelled shitposting.

• Full Members
  • 6,033 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationScreaming into the abyss.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:02 PM

I don't really give a shit what the number plate on my car says. As long as it's correct for that car and in MOT-worthy condition.

• Talbot and stonedagain like this

#45455 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,202 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

Bought a private plate for the Aldi. As its modern looking, to most eyes it looks not old at all (eg under 4 years) and so in fashion. It keeps Mrs SiC happy as then she can drive a modern, fashionable looking car. The plate was £250, so not a lot really either.

I know it isn't a Autoshite thing, but sometimes it is nice to drive something in fashion and half desirable. Like it's nice sometimes to wear clothes and look good, fashionable & modern.

Plus it keeps her happy and less bothered about the heaps I bring home.
  • alf892 likes this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#45456 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 6,203 posts
  • 91 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

'vensis is booked in for an MOT tomorrow. Gave it a look over and the friction material had come away from the backing on the front drivers side. New pads in and all else seems OK. Vito is in next week.. Why do all my motors have MOT's within a week or 2 of each other.. On the upside, Vito now has 5 tyres on it with 8mm... The bonus of changing tyres on caravans due to age.. they get bunged in the skip even if never been on the road... proper commercial rated too, but only get them from big single axle Baileys and Swifts.. 195/70/15c. Most caravan companies fit ditchfinders from new, Bailey fitted Michelin!

Flame away, but a tyre doesn't turn into a pumpkin when it reaches 7years old.. especially if kept in the dark and dry..

Yep that's where the rears on mine came from too. Wierdly they say trailermaxx on them but have all the correct load ratings a C mark - they seem to be wearing rapidly though.
  • Barry Cade. likes this

#45457 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 3,977 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

I have three number plates - all ending 1812. I bought my wife a car as a wedding present, and thought it’d be a nice thing to have on the car.

It also, more importantly, acts as a daily reminder of when I need to buy petrol station flowers.

Since that, I bought two more at £50 plus fees.
  • Angrydicky, beko1987, spike60 and 1 other like this

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  233k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  186k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  97k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#45458 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 14,542 posts
  • 49 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:39 PM

My dad and stepmum had private 'his and hers' plates once. Think they've lapsed now as I've not seem them on their latest cars, but it was nice when they had them.

If I ever have a car with a cool plate I might rape it and claim it as my own forever, that's not happened yet though, and given my broad age range it would have to either be dateless or really old to not fall foul of the making it look newer rule.

In our old building someone from the company downstairs had what was a brand new vw touran with a suffix A plate on. Was odd in itself but also looked 2x more stupid as it was on a brand new number plate set with the EU flag on...
2001 Gooner2 Ph1 1.9Dci Expression (His)
2008 orl Vauxhalls r Shit Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#45459 ONLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

RELIABLE HONDA ENGINE

• Full Members
  • 8,484 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • LocationManchester

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

Some people are sentimental. Back a few years ago near me there was a brown Volvo 244 registered MUM964V. It was there a long time and when it finally disappeared, the plate was transferred on to the K11 Micra that replaced it.

Our own David Fowler's modern Golf has an H prefix plate transferred onto it from a bus he used to work with.

Regular prefix plates can be bought as private sometimes, I've seen a 2014 Avensis with 'T841LEY' - but that's quite clever as it reads 'T BAILEY' reasonably legibly. If something's abstract it's probably been transferred from another vehicle that meant something to the owner - first car they bought new or something perhaps.

1990 Rover 416GSi - SORN; for sale

1991 Rover 416GTi - multicoloured haunted HGFing moneypit

"Continuer indépendamment"

#45460 ONLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 7,892 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

I put a cheap private plate on my van that matches the Duster / my company name which was based on such / means absolutely nothing to anyone else

Meh, whatever
  • mercrocker likes this

1997 R Nissan Primera GT

2002 02 Porsche Boxster S

2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access

#45461 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 3,172 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

I have three number plates - all ending 1812. I bought my wife a car as a wedding present, and thought it’d be a nice thing to have on the car.....

A sort of 1812 overture, then.
  • wuvvum, Twiggy, Angrydicky and 6 others like this
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#45462 OFFLINE   plasticvandan

plasticvandan

• Full Members
  • 2,292 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

most plates that dont decipher are just there to hide how old the car is.

#45463 OFFLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 2,675 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:16 PM

I put a cheap private plate on my van that matches the Duster / my company name which was based on such / means absolutely nothing to anyone else

Meh, whatever

What did your old one you left on your first Lag II mean?

I wish Id known you could plate rape cars for their original reg years ago when I had my first car because id have kept that and transferred it onto every car ive had since, just for sentimental reasons of it being the reg of my first car. 

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#45464 ONLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 7,892 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

That one didn’t mean anything at all, was just a bit different. Wish I’d transferred it off now.

1997 R Nissan Primera GT

2002 02 Porsche Boxster S

2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access

#45465 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,202 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

Calling Louise2CV! I think this was yours and is back in my local garage. (Same garage that kicked off my MGB GT search last year)

159032435c661b16d6a414a6e8939ce5.jpg

Last time it was there, it was there for a couple of days. If it is yours, I can have a wander back another day and check how well the new owners are looking after it. ;)

Randomly there is a vase with flowers perched on the back parcel shelf.
  • M'coli, danthecapriman, Angrydicky and 3 others like this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#45466 OFFLINE   M'coli

M'coli

• Full Members
  • 8,051 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationSemper semi somnus

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:12 PM

Peugeot 106 TUD battery light came on this evening, just after a spot of GLF-and-clag, funnily enough. Thankfully it appears to be just missing the belt.
20180213_173055.jpg
  • Jim Bell likes this

"How would ya get a maaa-chine to do that?"

#45467 OFFLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,665 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationWear the fox hat

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

Well, todays MOT didn't happen.. MOT gas tester broke down... Have to wait till next week now

2002 Shotgun Pinin Animal

2004 Daihatsu Charade SL

2002 Mercedes Vito Traveliner camper

#45468 OFFLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

Calling Louise2CV! I think this was yours and is back in my local garage. (Same garage that kicked off my MGB GT search last year)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018021...

Last time it was there, it was there for a couple of days. If it is yours, I can have a wonder back another day and check how well the new owners are looking after it. ;)

Are they Daffodils?

#45469 OFFLINE   richardmorris

richardmorris

• Full Members
  • 6,664 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

Don't Google w124 failed balljoint pics

Well I’ve nursed it home - creaking is certainly getting worse on each journey, so it’s staying put until my merc guy can come and look at it. It’s weird- it sounds like someone squeezing a ballon wearing rubber gloves.

A quick search of GSF says they ball joints are £20 or £38 depending on manufacturer. This is a relief as some folk on Mercedes club forum seemed to be saying that the 320’s balls were integral to the suspension arms and need a wallet transplant. This seems to be just the sportline editions though.

Anyway, it could be worse- I’ve just had the wings painted so don’t want to destroy them having a wheel making a bid for freedom. I can use the bike or 2cv in the meantime.
  • Mercedes E320 coupé
  • Fiat X1/9
  • Citroën 2CV6

#45470 OFFLINE   320touring

320touring

Picasso Licker

• Full Members
  • 10,099 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationDoing the school run

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

Wise moves!
  • richardmorris likes this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#45471 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,916 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

Saw a BMW with G51NGR.  I guess it's supposed to read Ginger?  Baffling, regardless.

#45472 OFFLINE   CanaryinManc

CanaryinManc

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 58 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

I've always felt that the registration mark is part of a vehicle's history. It can tell you where and when it was originally registered. Seems a shame to change it somehow.

• Angrydicky, Craig the Princess, mercrocker and 1 other like this

#45473 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,202 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

Are they Daffodils?

I'll go check tomorrow for you...!

#45474 OFFLINE   Bobthebeard

Bobthebeard

Bobthebeard

• Full Members
  • 4,782 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationDoing a U turn where possible.

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

The upgraded breather kit, sump drop kit etc has just been delivered courtesy of Neo Brothers for Elmo the Saab 9-3 in readiness to fix the oil pressure issue. Yesterday I removed the valve cover as a check for top end engine sludge. Not horrible around the camshafts thankfully, but a LOT of crispy carbon flakes in the timing chain tunnel area. Many loose and falling, or ready to fall down inside the engine. So safe to assume that sludge is well progressed and that the sump is full of the stuff blocking the oil pick up screen. Much sump dropping, cleaning and whatnot ahoy then!
Nervously prodding at rust since 1978

1979 Triumph Dolomite 1850 HL Auto
2001 Rover 75 2.5 KV6 Connoisseur
2001 Saab 9-3 2.0t Auto Convertible
2002 Saab 9-5 2.3t Auto Estate
2003 Mazda MX-5
2004 Honda Accord 2.0 I Vtec

#45475 OFFLINE   BeEP

BeEP

• Full Members
  • 216 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

Last time it was there, it was there for a couple of days. If it is yours, I can have a wander back another day and check how well the new owners are looking after it. ;)

Yes, it's Louise's old one.  The same question was asked last year:

http://autoshite.com...gro/?hl=allegro

I think it resides in Horfield now (one of my old stomping grounds)

#45476 OFFLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

I'll go check tomorrow for you...!

Might be Roses today.

• DeeJay likes this

#45477 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,916 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

Does anyone have a stash of Custom Car magazines from about 1995 to about 2002?  I'm looking for an article on a massive lilac custom, possibly a Lincoln and probably called Titanic.  I can only find one picture of it online, this one:

download (1).jpg

Surprisingly difficult to find any information on it.  From what I remember I think it was built in Florida from two or more cars and shipped to the UK to do a tour of UK roads, for which it was wholly unsuited.  I know it's from the '95-'02 time window as that's when I was reading Custom Car.  That was the only magazine I was subscribed to at the time so it's unlikely to be in Street Machine or one of the other UK publications.  One of those moments where I wish I'd kept my old magazines now, I'm not even sure what happened to them.

#45478 ONLINE   Steve79

Steve79

• Full Members
  • 416 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

Does anyone have a stash of Custom Car magazines from about 1995 to about 2002?  I'm looking for an article on a massive lilac custom, possibly a Lincoln and probably called Titanic.  I can only find one picture of it online, this one:
attachicon.gifdownload (1).jpg

Surprisingly difficult to find any information on it.  From what I remember I think it was built in Florida from two or more cars and shipped to the UK to do a tour of UK roads, for which it was wholly unsuited.  I know it's from the '95-'02 time window as that's when I was reading Custom Car.  That was the only magazine I was subscribed to at the time so it's unlikely to be in Street Machine or one of the other UK publications.  One of those moments where I wish I'd kept my old magazines now, I'm not even sure what happened to them.

I think this is what you are looking for:

1956 Lincoln Premier by Terry Cook

http://www.decorides...opelowrider.htm
  • vulgalour and Datsuncog like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
vulgalour

#45479 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,916 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

YES!  You absolute star.

EDIT: 6 years ago I asked the same question on RR and got the same link, it turns out.  For some reason I'd forgotten completely! http://retrorides.pr...m/thread/127148

#45480 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,202 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:12 PM

Yes, it's Louise's old one. The same question was asked last year:

http://autoshite.com...gro/?hl=allegro

I think it resides in Horfield now (one of my old stomping grounds)

Yes and that second post was mine from last year. Unfortunately I couldn't find that thread! Interesting its in Horfield now. I know that area well being a uni student at UWE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

dean36014