Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The new news 24 thread

• Please log in to reply
52430 replies to this topic

#45421 OFFLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 2,209 posts
  • 29 thanks

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Not well up on Elites, but has it got a ballast coil?

Two feeds, one 12v when cranking, one through ballast when running.

Or the other way round. My head hurts thinking about it.

Would feed coil direct from battery and try again. You may want to put a fuse in the wire because fire.

Take the wire off afterwards, if it starts it won't stop until you do.

• alf892 and Skizzer like this

#45422 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • 45 thanks

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

That was the problem that temporarily kippered the Autoshite Colt when it conked out on me.

RAC man effected a bodge by bypassing the resistor with a bit of wire which he said was fine for an emergency but not good for the longevity of the coil. Worth a go.

#45423 ONLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • 68 thanks

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:21 PM

Just driven my grandads Astra H back from Northampton as he given up driving. I have no idea what the Vauxhall seat designer must have got his knowledge from but I suspect they must have been previously been tortured. Did 4 hrs of driving to Northampton in the Aldi (went to Birmingham first) and then I did another 2 hours back from Northampton in the Astra. My back and neck very much knows that I've just done a 2 hrs journey. :(

Also the radio was broken. It displayed the station it's tuned into but put no sound out. Just to make the journey more awkward.

It's a 1.4 petrol jobbie and it's been a very long while since I've done a long motorway journey in a car with such a low power to weight ratio. Reminded me that most decent engined modern cars have completely adequate power, as you can accelerate briskly at UK speed limits without any troubles. With the 1.4 Astra, when up a moderate incline at 70mph, you'd have to knock it back to 4th if you want to make any progress. Steep hills, 4th is required to keep it at 70mph. I'd hate to have to attempt any A-road overtake in it.

So glad that I don't have a Astra H over my Civic. The Civic seats aren't perfect but way, way better than the Astra's. It also accelerates in top gear at 70mph up a hill without any trouble. Also gives far more confidence in the corners.

They are fairly awful, I can say this having driven the 1.4, 1.8 and the diesel. Horrible inside, lifeless engines, going any distance in one you have my sympathies.
  • SiC likes this

#45424 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

..... but the battery earth connection is an obvious next place to look and that’s deeply buried underneath somewhere and I don’t have a lift or pit.

Grumpy.

Have you tried the jump lead from battery earth to the engine for diagnosis yet?

The winter commuting you did in this was commitment!

• Skizzer likes this
1968 Morris Minor 1000
1968 Land Rover 
1972 Triumph Toledo
1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Talbot Express Camper
1999 Renault Clio
2001 Renault Clio
2003 Skoda Octavia

#45425 ONLINE   320touring

320touring

Picasso Licker

• Full Members
  • 9,808 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationDoing the school run

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

Got the opporchancity to use the wee Clio 172 for what it's good at today, been out for a blast with Dome of this here parish.

Some good pub grub, good roads and some snaw too.

Funtimes!

And still early to collect the burd Fae work:)

IMG_20180211_123424.jpg IMG_20180211_130828.jpg IMG_20180211_145612.jpg
  • The Moog, loserone, RobT and 5 others like this
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#45426 OFFLINE   MarvinsMom

MarvinsMom

• Full Members
  • 6,234 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationNorth Yorks

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:23 PM

couldn't be bothered with going down to the unit today, too stiff, too warm in bed and a roast pork dinner with some wine to look forward too so instead i made my way to the paint booth* and slathered some paint on the new second hand fannymold.,,,

DSCN7043.JPG

DSCN7044.JPG

DSCN7045.JPG

before

DSCN7051.JPG

DSCN7050.JPG

DSCN7048.JPG

DSCN7049.JPG

after

part number relaites to 64-69 automatic and 69-76 1275 GT apparently, so it will be more than adequate for the application we have in minde for it.(a 1974 998cc Mini 1000)

plus since painting i can now read all the inscription "tappet clearence .012 firing sequence 1-3-4-2".....

• danthecapriman, DeeJay, cros and 3 others like this
Current Fleet-
1974 Mini 1000 PROJECT
1996 Lexus Ls400 IT LIVES!!
2001 Rover 75 CDT Tourer
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport
1995 Jaguar XJR-6 SOLD
1989 Austin Metro

#45427 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 14,077 posts
  • 45 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

Just driven my grandads Astra H back from Northampton as he given up driving. I have no idea what the Vauxhall seat designer must have got his knowledge from but I suspect they must have been previously been tortured. Did 4 hrs of driving to Northampton in the Aldi (went to Birmingham first) and then I did another 2 hours back from Northampton in the Astra. My back and neck very much knows that I've just done a 2 hrs journey. :(

Also the radio was broken. It displayed the station it's tuned into but put no sound out. Just to make the journey more awkward.

It's a 1.4 petrol jobbie and it's been a very long while since I've done a long motorway journey in a car with such a low power to weight ratio. Reminded me that most decent engined modern cars have completely adequate power, as you can accelerate briskly at UK speed limits without any troubles. With the 1.4 Astra, when up a moderate incline at 70mph, you'd have to knock it back to 4th if you want to make any progress. Steep hills, 4th is required to keep it at 70mph. I'd hate to have to attempt any A-road overtake in it.

So glad that I don't have a Astra H over my Civic. The Civic seats aren't perfect but way, way better than the Astra's. It also accelerates in top gear at 70mph up a hill without any trouble. Also gives far more confidence in the corners.

I can't drive the Zafira for more than about 20 minutes before a dull backache sets in. Drove it to Peterborough once when amy had to sit in the back as Charlie was screaming, and had to lie down on my granny's kitchen floor for 10 minutes when we got there!

Even as a passenger I get a number arse, but can adjust my position more than when I drive it. The meriva was just as hateful
  • SiC likes this
2001 Gooner2 Ph1 1.9Dci Expression (His)
2008 orl Vauxhalls r Shit Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#45428 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 14,077 posts
  • 45 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

Oh, re the sound the vauxhall radio in the Zafira did this when the door loom went (well, the speaker wire went). Only found out because the jvc headunit it now sports displayed 'wiring mismatch error' which was much more helpful. Fiddling with the loom block with everything turned on made the offending speaker 'pop' and with its wires ripped out the back of the iso block it works fine now

It might get fixed one day... Twosmoke knows about it, he gave me info when I found out
  • SiC likes this
2001 Gooner2 Ph1 1.9Dci Expression (His)
2008 orl Vauxhalls r Shit Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#45429 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 27,046 posts
  • 72 thanks

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

2CV MOT tomorrow. 2CV is playing up, as it does every year. Always this sidelight. 

DVxYLiJW4AAj-Oj.jpg

Jealousy I reckon.

• RobT, Lacquer Peel, They_all_do_that_sir and 4 others like this

1972 Invacar Model 70, 1984 Reliant Fox

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1990 Dacia 1310

1999 Daewoo Matiz, 2000 Rover 45 V6, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twitter

#45430 OFFLINE   xtriple

xtriple

German is better than English!

• Full Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationTorquay Devon

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

Snowing here earlier so I was inclined to stay indoors but the mutts had other ideas so we had to go out. If out, then go to the garage and see if the Mazda still exists under the cover. It does but er, it's gone sodding mouldy! Hood and all the interior growing new and interesting life forms and the boot is sopping wet. Battery is like a pancake that has sucumbed to roadkill.

Battery now on charge with a view to getting the sod out before evolution takes over and I'm too scared to get in the car for fear of being eaten by English/Japanese dingbats!

The BGD started first time and sounded lovely, oh, and the interior is dry and perfect. For the first time ever (that I can recall) the BGD is better at something than the Mazda!

Of course this could be down to the fact that the Mazda was put away in October and hasn't even been looked at since while the BGD has been attended too at least weekly since November.

• chodweaver and Hooli like this

#45431 ONLINE   Fat_Pirate

Fat_Pirate

• Full Members
  • 754 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationHampshire

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:50 PM

Me: "I'm going to change the starter on the Jag"

Wife: "Ok"

Me, 10 mins later: "It's BITTERLY COLD out there, fuck that, it can go to the garage"

1 hour later:

Me: "I'm changing that starter, it's only 2 bolts and a cable, I can do this"

Wife: rolls eyes

Me, 5 mins later: "FUUUCK!  Ring the garage tomorrow and tell them to collect the bastard!"

90 mins later:

Me:  "It's going to cost about £500 to have the garage do this, if I take the starter off I can get it repaired for less than £100"

Wife: "OK, see you in 5 minutes"

Me, 5 mins later: "ARGHHHHH!"

• Barry Cade., wuvvum, M'coli and 21 others like this

2003 Mini Cooper ("shit")

2003 Berlingo Multispace 

2002 CLK230 convertible

1991 MX5 

#45432 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,424 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:20 PM

Just come back from the MG & Triumph parts show up in Coventry way. Met up with the ever so friendly Purplebargken.

Managed quite a haul!
820d88b707906eb20ce91dcc29f92de3.jpg

Suki our cat is even impressed. (I think?)

acd0653aac5bf0195b4f1f0f113971e5.jpg
9a0ab67d0bd4425ea1cee363546b0844.jpg

Rev counter is a lovely smaller Smith's unit but I have no idea what it's off. Damaged connections on the back but they look repairable. Actually bought for yet another project that probably won't get done...
  • Fat_Pirate, danthecapriman, RobT and 7 others like this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#45433 ONLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 7,217 posts
  • 56 thanks

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

@SiC - I sold an Astra H years ago because it was so uncomfortable and bought a nearly new Laguna II!
  • SiC likes this
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1
2007 07 Fiat Panda 100HP
2002 02 Porsche Boxster S

#45434 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,424 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:32 PM

Mrs SiC is currently on the hard shoulder in the Aldi waiting for recovery. Hit debris on the road between Bath and Bristol M4 junction. Thinks it was a bumper or mudflap. Shes fine but at least one tyre flat. No idea if any other damage. Apparently 7 or so other cars on the hard shoulder too. Police did a rolling road block and the Highways agency patrol cars have just given her a blanket.

I'm hoping no more damage than a tyre. However that's still £120 per corner (Goodyear) for something recognisable and probably at least 2 to give a matched axle! Budgets are £65 each but I don't think I can be doing with cheap rubber on it.

Hmpfh. :?
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#45435 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

• Full Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • 45 thanks

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

Just come back from the MG & Triumph parts show up in Coventry way. Met up with the ever so friendly Purplebargken.

Managed quite a haul!

Buying workshop manuals for cars you don't own, yet lust over....

• chodweaver, SiC and egg like this

#45436 OFFLINE   Steve79

Steve79

• Full Members
  • 385 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

What are you going to do with such a misery wagon? Are you selling it?

#45437 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,424 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

Mrs SiC is currently on the hard shoulder in the Aldi waiting for recovery. Hit debris on the road between Bath and Bristol M4 junction. Thinks it was a bumper or mudflap. Shes fine but at least one tyre flat. No idea if any other damage. Apparently 7 or so other cars on the hard shoulder too. Police did a rolling road block and the Highways agency patrol cars have just given her a blanket.

I'm hoping no more damage than a tyre. However that's still £120 per corner (Goodyear) for something recognisable and probably at least 2 to give a matched axle! Budgets are £65 each but I don't think I can be doing with cheap rubber on it.

Note to self. Audi put wheel locking nuts in stupid places. Thank god for the Pistonheads forum.

If your car is an Avant you have the normal lift up floor with the handle where the spare wheel / tools / battery are. Between this and the back of the rear seats is a section about 30cm wide (marked below) which is actually hinged the same direction as the boot floor.

This is the original alloy key location which fools many garages. From memory you might need to have the spare wheel flap lifted slightly to access it.

FF30Pf2C.jpg
  • Twiggy likes this

#45438 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,424 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

What are you going to do with such a misery wagon? Are you selling it?

Parents are having as a local runaround.

#45439 OFFLINE   Skizzer

Skizzer

RIP Bill Gaffer Maynard. And my Discovery.

• Full Members
  • 6,013 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationMumbles

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

Have you tried the jump lead from battery earth to the engine for diagnosis yet?!

No, but that’s a very good idea though, thanks. Will need to string two jump leads together as the battery’s in the boot (which can’t help), but that’s an easily solvable problem.

The winter commuting you did in this was naive to the point of idiocy!

EFA.
  • Tickman and Hooli like this

75N Vauxhall 2300S | 76P Lotus Elite | 76P Renault 16TL | 79T Rover 3500 | 82X Lancia Gamma Coupe | 82Y Jaguar XJ-S HE | 83A Jaguar Sovereign 4.2 | 84B Talbot-Matra Rancho | 85C Ford Granada 2.8 estate | 91H Audi 80 2.0E | 91J VW Golf Rivage cabrio | 06 Alfa Brera 2.2JTS | 14 BMW 428i | 18 Skoda Kodiaq

#45440 ONLINE   M'coli

M'coli

• Full Members
  • 7,914 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationSemper semi somnus

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:46 PM

Me: "I'm going to change the starter on the Jag"

Wife: "Ok"

Me, 10 mins later: "It's BITTERLY COLD out there, fuck that, it can go to the garage"

1 hour later:

Me: "I'm changing that starter, it's only 2 bolts and a cable, I can do this"

Wife: rolls eyes

Me, 5 mins later: "FUUUCK!  Ring the garage tomorrow and tell them to collect the bastard!"

90 mins later:

Me:  "It's going to cost about £500 to have the garage do this, if I take the starter off I can get it repaired for less than £100"

Wife: "OK, see you in 5 minutes"

Me, 5 mins later: "ARGHHHHH!"

Garage:

"Someone wants a Jag starter motor changing."

"Those things are bastards to change, give them a high price to put them off..."

You: See above!

• Fat_Pirate, Sigmund Fraud, Hooli and 1 other like this

"How would ya get a maaa-chine to do that?"

#45441 ONLINE   M'coli

M'coli

• Full Members
  • 7,914 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationSemper semi somnus

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:50 PM

Mrs SiC is currently on the hard shoulder in the Aldi waiting for recovery. 

<snip>Highways agency patrol cars have just given her a blanket.</snip>

Hence why there's always a "warm clothes bag" and/or a sleeping bag in my car at this time of year.

"How would ya get a maaa-chine to do that?"

#45442 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,424 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:56 PM

Hence why there's always a "warm clothes bag" and/or a sleeping bag in my car at this time of year.

My dad has always told me to bring a coat with me, despite how short or long the journey was. Luckily my wife does now too. She does feel the cold a lot though and was wearing two thick coats as well as the silver emergency blankets!
  • M'coli likes this

#45443 ONLINE   loserone

loserone

Leaf blower

• Full Members
  • 2,214 posts
  • 31 thanks
  • Locationbehind the tree

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

In an effort to contribute* to a possible thread tomorrow, I've just eaten a huge curry (Prashad's Paneer Massala if anyone's into it, plus various sundries) and am now tucking into a bad batch of homebrew.

• M'coli, Jim Bell, Tickman and 3 others like this

405 with no head, Leaf, 206 GTI with a knackered axle, Legacy H6 Spec B.  Half a.. something. It's japanese and silver, but I don't remember it.
Moaty's cat's back, Zak.

#45444 OFFLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 10,919 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

I was only joking mate. Though there is a nice public toilet (with defibrillator) in Wark.
  • loserone, DeeJay, chodweaver and 2 others like this

831096.png

#45445 ONLINE   loserone

loserone

Leaf blower

• Full Members
  • 2,214 posts
  • 31 thanks

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

Too late now!
  • Jim Bell and chodweaver like this

405 with no head, Leaf, 206 GTI with a knackered axle, Legacy H6 Spec B.  Half a.. something. It's japanese and silver, but I don't remember it.
Moaty's cat's back, Zak.

#45446 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 2,374 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:16 PM

In an effort to contribute* to a possible thread tomorrow, I've just eaten a huge curry (Prashad's Paneer Massala if anyone's into it, plus various sundries) and am now tucking into a bad batch of homebrew.

Is the local sewage system prepared for this?
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#45447 OFFLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 10,919 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:16 PM

Hope thats the last time I hear you say that for a while man.
  • loserone likes this

831096.png

#45448 OFFLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 2,675 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

@SiC - I sold an Astra H years ago because it was so uncomfortable and bought a nearly new Laguna II!

I still see said Astra kicking about East Kilbride fairly regularly. I think it must be base models and 'non sporty' models which have uncomfortable seats because when I drove them at work, Club, Energy, Life, Breeze etc. they were uncomfortable but I always found the seats in my Design which were half leather sports seats to be very comfortable. 

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#45449 ONLINE   loserone

loserone

Leaf blower

• Full Members
  • 2,214 posts
  • 31 thanks

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

I hope Bally is coming along ..

Moaty's cat's back, Zak.

#45450 OFFLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 10,919 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

No but ill bring poo bags.

I mean Becky.
  • loserone likes this

831096.png