The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

kerry took the back of the seat to the local trimmer, and there is nothig to be done with it.

43 years of sun has made the vinyl brittle so its going to be a new cover from newton commercial, they don't have exactly the same pattern, ours have 7 stripes and hte one on their catalogue have 10 stripes stiched in.

so, come sunday i'm going to get some cloth samples and see if Grenerdine red is as closer match in real life as i think it is.

i can live with slightly missmatched seats, in the longer term i will be i think getting all the seats retrimmed.

till then we are going to live with the seat as it is, maybe covered with a nice* tartan rug?

bum hats!!!

we have got sorted with a set of unused NOS kangol seatbelts, so not all bad news today.

Just put The Aero's old National Trust sticker in The Volvo's rear window, as this year's one (made from a different sort of plastic, making it unable to be easily removed and thus not transferable from car to car) arrived the other day. The car had a similar sticker in the same place when I bought it, but I removed it almost immediately, due to being 26 years old at the time (I'm 40 now...). The 'Arthur Daley' sticker has been in the window for many years now ^^

attachicon.gifDUFrFhHX0AMxVPI.jpg

My new NT sticker is made of exactly the same plastic as the old one. It peeled off easily enough as I’d put it on wonky first time. Odd!

I have also won a cast and chromed radiator grill NT badge. It may look crap on the car, but I’ll have to try it first.

My new sticker is made from a weird stiff plastic with adhesive applied to it, unlike the old one, which in the same manner as Autoshite stickers and those old Townsend Thoresen 'Blue Riband' stickers, is lovely and pliable and self-clings. I guess that the NT don't want people transferring stickers from car to car and therefore getting free parking at their sites despite not actually being NT members.

My new sticker is made from a weird stiff plastic with adhesive applied to it, unlike the old one, which in the same manner as Autoshite stickers and those old Townsend Thoresen 'Blue Riband' stickers, is lovely and pliable and self-clings. I guess that the NT don't want people transferring stickers from car to car and therefore getting free parking at their sites despite not actually being NT members.

Hmm, mines just the same lick it to stick self cling type. Perhaps it’s just yours! My British cycling badge is like that though. The NT actually want you to scan your card in now too to park. I really only joined for the free parking!

Edit. I have ordered an additional sticker for the 2cv, so will see what sort of sticker type arrives.

Had a weekend of Fun.

First I stopped off at Halfords in Oswestry and was bum raped on a brake light bulb.

Then I stopped off at The Ludlow Ward at the Orthopaedic Hospital, where my dad was recovering from a Hip Operation costing more than a new Car. (Probably more use than a car)  Where the consultant told him that he could forget going home on Saturday and it would be another 2 days.  

So then I phoned my sister who was due to come on the train from Bangor and drive them home in his car.  She decides to go and visit on Saturday in her car.

Then I get home and my wife has gone through some old receipts of mine, and found three trips to Burger King at Knutsford Services between October and December last year. Apparently these coincide with me suggesting I take her out to lunch and me telling her I have not eaten. Later we are watching a DVD of outnumbered, and the father has got very drunk and snogged someone on a works night out. Somehow she makes the connection between me lying about my food intake and the possibility that I've had an affair with my old landlady, in Kegworth.

I sleep in the attic room.

Saturday comes and I get up early and am fitting new plugs to the daughters BINI when my sister rings but refuses to talk to my wife. Because she's FUCKING RUDE.

It's all very stressful having an 81 year old in hospital, but my wife used to be a nurse and you'd be better off talking to her.

This puts my wife is a much worse mood.

She decides to have a go about my lying constantly.  I am guilty as charged TBH.  I am a greedy bastard and I'll eat all day if I'm bored or sad or it's available. If I open a cupboard and there's a packet of biscuits, I'll sneak a couple.

If my wife seems tired I might put a spin on something.

My new years resolution is to a) stop lying and B) eat less

Then our daughter (aged 21) decides she doesn't want to be in the house whilst my wife is having a row.

She's on her way out and my wife decides to go with her.

Some 4 hours later they come back with a new rug and other shit we don't need from ikea. I sigh quietly and remove the old rug to the old storage area of the attic (Not easy - it weighs a ton)  

Later my wife has another go at me. Apparently I can't apologise because I've said it before and nothing has changed. I sleep in the attic.  

Sunday, I take daughter to see dad and take mum out to lunch (she;s been staying in a b&B and spending all day at Dad's bedside and looks wrecked.

Wife can't or won't come because she has chronic fatigue and getting up that early is too early and she can't do a whole day of it. I should have consulted her (I agree - it was very selfish of me to just arrange it without communication)

Anyway, I take video footage of my day walking.

I think everything is fine and dandy. I make a really nice tea, and daughter goes off to her boyfriend's house.

There is a switch. Suddenly I'm getting the cold shoulder, she goes upstairs and refuses to talk to me. I watch the telly, then she comes down and starts a massive row. I don't actually put up any fight.

It went on a while.

At 5:45am this morning I drove 95 miles to work arriving at 8:15am

Today my sister went on the train to drive Dad and Mum home in their car.

At 6pm she rang my wife to complain about my mother. Who wants to go out tomorrow to do something with the Women's group at her church, and how my dad doesn't want to be left alone. She was on the phone for about 30 mins.

My wife told her, she should tell her boss she's only working mornings this week. Sister did not like this idea.

About the same time I rang my Dad.   He's fine. Happy to be home. He's got a mobile, and a cordless phone, so he can carry them both around in a bum bag, and if he has a problem he can always phone my sister. I suggested that, my Mum could get her phone out of the car and turn it on in 2018. Perhaps check it for missed calls and texts.

Spoke to my wife later, and I have no idea how to solve the problem we or I have.

Later I paid for my AS calendar. This has cheered my up.

They have NEW membership cards with a 2D data matrix and have upgraded all the ticket machines, so that you scan the card, and input your reg number. No need for the sticker.

My new NT sticker is made of exactly the same plastic as the old one. It peeled off easily enough as I’d put it on wonky first time. Odd!

I have also won a cast and chromed radiator grill NT badge. It may look crap on the car, but I’ll have to try it first.

I had a 16 and 17 sticker in the Volvo I'm hoping foad will post back. Had my 2018 today but not looked at it yet

Not a grin because it hasn't happend yet but not a grump as it is hopefully a positive step - If I am accepted.

I've decided that I'll be giving up this trade plating malarky in the next few months. I have a chance to train in a completely different sector which I won't reveal until I am accepted and the ball is rolling. It means an actual career and more money even whilst I'm training.

I've had fun in the trade plating game but as something that pays bills it stinks. These last couple of months have seen me stretched to breaking point. Over the last year money worries and not knowing where I'll be and when have taken thier toll on me. It's taken a year to ponder and resolve where I really want to be.

The next place I'm hoping to go and train in isn't my first choice of job either but I have briefly worked in this sector before and it's one of the very few jobs where I have worked with people I actually get on with. It probably will mean returning to suit/tie office work but I need to consider my future. I can barely support myself in this current job, plus long hours and constant outgoings are really grating on me now. I tried another platers firm but they were worse than these ones.

Until I apply and get the go ahead I shall keep this to myself for now.

EDIT* Hopes dashed :(

They've changed the whole parking system. It used to be you could go into any NT with your membership card and get another sticker. People did that and started selling them on eBay.

So they then only gave single stickers last year and you had to apply by post for another. Wasn't too popular.

This year they're upgrading all the ticket machines so you scan your membership card and get a paper ticket from the machine. The window sticker is for all the old fogies who can't manage to figure this technology stuff and ticket machines.

I think the ticket machine thing is a good idea. I always forget to bring the sticker when we've gone somewhere. Disadvantage of owning several cars.

Arrived home from work at about half past midnight... It's really mild out tonight, about 8C, but 85% humidity... Ah, fuck it.

post-19482-0-19487600-1516672916_thumb.jpg

O/S handbrake adjuster wound back as far as I can get it to go without it engaging when it's not supposed to, couldn't do the N/S as trying to jack the car up on the axle made it try and run away without me with only three wheels attached... I tweaked the dizzy based on the direction I seem to remember the vacuum wotist was pointing on the Caringorms adventure and the fucker fired up on the first turn of the key before immediately starting to run lumpy and then conking out. I'm saying my theory that the ignition timing is drifting all over the place due to the dizzy being loose is correct but I'm not going to play about with the engine at 2am while the neighbours are trying to sleep!

Sadly it is forecast to piss it down for the rest of time so fuck knows when I'll next be able to get some proper work done...

It's also a good thing that the local cat wears a bell, otherwise I'd probably not have noticed it'd climbed into the car while I was underneath and would have locked the bugger in!

Old Man’s had the wheel off the Volvo (I was away all weekend again) and somehow the wheel and the tyre are both OK.
Think I need a track rod or something though from what he’s noticed I also need new ARB bushes: that adds up, I’ve been suspicious of the tracking since I put the new tyres on.

Astra is still going well, albeit a little dirty but CBA to wash it.

I went down to the breakers yard at the weekend and had a mooch about. Nothing much there caught my eye except for..well..the find of 2018 so far!

24985767837_1e0ccddde3_z.jpgOBJ 349W - Austin Maxi 2 1750 HLS - September 1980 by greengartside, on Flickr

FUGGIN NORA! It's only a bloody Maxi - 1750 in HLS spec too. All complete, even down to the push-button radio. I think it's not seen the road since the early 1990's, the Michelin tyres it was wearing had large holes in and a family of mice had made the interior their home. Masses of parts to be had from it though. And WAIT, WHAT'S THAT??

28077285819_56b13c94f8_z.jpgF945 JGU - MG Montego 2.0 - August 1988 by greengartside, on Flickr

COR BLIMEY GUVNOR, a 1988 MG Montego! All complete as well - hopefully someone can use some bits off this. I bet this was a proper XR3i upsetter when it was new.

Electronic win :). Mrs C just told me that one of her keys wasn't operating the RCL, although it would start and run the car and lock/unlock manually. Checking on the internet I tried turning the offending key to the 'acc' position and off several times in succession and remoteness has now been restored. I just wonder why it lost the remote function in the first place? The key had been in her coat pocket as usual.

Delivered the 202 to the new owner in Cardif today then picked up my boy's Midget to replace the clutch cylinder pipework ready to sell it on. It has been a good day for selling cars, the shit heap of a Corsa has gone and a deposit has been taken on The Rolls Royce. The Roller is off to Romania once I get back from collecting the hearse from Spain tomorrow. Busy week but should be fun, hopefully I can pick up a couple of mopeds on the way back through France as well.

Had a weekend of Fun.

First I stopped off at Halfords in Oswestry and was bum raped on a brake light bulb.

Then I stopped off at The Ludlow Ward at the Orthopaedic Hospital, where my dad was recovering from a Hip Operation costing more than a new Car. (Probably more use than a car) Where the consultant told him that he could forget going home on Saturday and it would be another 2 days.

So then I phoned my sister who was due to come on the train from Bangor and drive them home in his car. She decides to go and visit on Saturday in her car.

Then I get home and my wife has gone through some old receipts of mine, and found three trips to Burger King at Knutsford Services between October and December last year. Apparently these coincide with me suggesting I take her out to lunch and me telling her I have not eaten. Later we are watching a DVD of outnumbered, and the father has got very drunk and snogged someone on a works night out. Somehow she makes the connection between me lying about my food intake and the possibility that I've had an affair with my old landlady, in Kegworth.

I sleep in the attic room.

Saturday comes and I get up early and am fitting new plugs to the daughters BINI when my sister rings but refuses to talk to my wife. Because she's FUCKING RUDE.

It's all very stressful having an 81 year old in hospital, but my wife used to be a nurse and you'd be better off talking to her.

This puts my wife is a much worse mood.

She decides to have a go about my lying constantly. I am guilty as charged TBH. I am a greedy bastard and I'll eat all day if I'm bored or sad or it's available. If I open a cupboard and there's a packet of biscuits, I'll sneak a couple.

If my wife seems tired I might put a spin on something.

My new years resolution is to a) stop lying and B) eat less

Then our daughter (aged 21) decides she doesn't want to be in the house whilst my wife is having a row.

She's on her way out and my wife decides to go with her.

Some 4 hours later they come back with a new rug and other shit we don't need from ikea. I sigh quietly and remove the old rug to the old storage area of the attic (Not easy - it weighs a ton)

Later my wife has another go at me. Apparently I can't apologise because I've said it before and nothing has changed. I sleep in the attic.

Sunday, I take daughter to see dad and take mum out to lunch (she;s been staying in a b&B and spending all day at Dad's bedside and looks wrecked.

Wife can't or won't come because she has chronic fatigue and getting up that early is too early and she can't do a whole day of it. I should have consulted her (I agree - it was very selfish of me to just arrange it without communication)

Anyway, I take video footage of my day walking.

I think everything is fine and dandy. I make a really nice tea, and daughter goes off to her boyfriend's house.

There is a switch. Suddenly I'm getting the cold shoulder, she goes upstairs and refuses to talk to me. I watch the telly, then she comes down and starts a massive row. I don't actually put up any fight.

It went on a while.

At 5:45am this morning I drove 95 miles to work arriving at 8:15am

Today my sister went on the train to drive Dad and Mum home in their car.

At 6pm she rang my wife to complain about my mother. Who wants to go out tomorrow to do something with the Women's group at her church, and how my dad doesn't want to be left alone. She was on the phone for about 30 mins.

My wife told her, she should tell her boss she's only working mornings this week. Sister did not like this idea.

About the same time I rang my Dad. He's fine. Happy to be home. He's got a mobile, and a cordless phone, so he can carry them both around in a bum bag, and if he has a problem he can always phone my sister. I suggested that, my Mum could get her phone out of the car and turn it on in 2018. Perhaps check it for missed calls and texts.

Spoke to my wife later, and I have no idea how to solve the problem we or I have.

Later I paid for my AS calendar. This has cheered my up.

Sound like my life, I just ignore her. I never sleep in another room after a Barney, just get into bed as normal. It's always better in the morning, especially if alcohol is involved. Usually she can't even remember that we had an argument, and if she does, can't remember what it was about. Did I mention that I am a battered husband.

Megane is not allowed an MOT this month, as we are skint after Christmas, but she can go out on the piss with her mates and spend over £50. Then I get in from work on Friday to find a box addressed to me, I open it up to find a pot of itch relief cream. The invoice that came with it was for £28! I do love driving the grand voyager, but it does 30 mpg and the Megane does over 60. I tried to explain that getting the Megane moted would pay for itself in a week, but that fell on deaf ears. On the plus side, I did get a bj for my birthday

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

My day went downhill today. Had a meeting with youth offending regarding foster child one. Get out of meeting then get phone call to collect foster child one from school. He was behaving like a fecking idiot. Go to school and spend an hour in there talking to tutor about his attitude and behaviour. Take him home with me . Then phone calls to say foster child two has been arrested and can I go to the police station. I politely decline this generous offer has I am not allowed to be an appropriate adult. So take my young lad rugby training and get back in time for foster child two's return . He is in court in three weeks but has done "fuck all " . I point out that I have done fuck all and that's why I am not in court in three weeks, unlike him . I also point out that the next time the police stop you for a chat best not to then run off through people's gardens cos it arouses suspicion. Never mind tomorow is another day.