Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The new news 24 thread

• Please log in to reply
54400 replies to this topic

#44701 OFFLINE   meshking

meshking

• Full Members
  • 979 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationBrooklands banking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

Where were they from?

Tippers, fantastic service. Ordered on Monday, paid on Tuesday delivered Thursday.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk
  • richardthestag and SiC like this

1974 Citroen 2cv

1980 CItroen Acadiane

1996 Lotus Elan

1996 Range Rover

#44702 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,202 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

Have you got a link?
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#44703 OFFLINE   meshking

meshking

• Full Members
  • 979 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationBrooklands banking

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

Have you got a link?

Sure :

http://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/

I emailed photos of docs, they sent me an invoice. On payment, plates were made. Was cheaper than Frampton plates too :)

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk
  • SiC and egg like this

1974 Citroen 2cv

1980 CItroen Acadiane

1996 Lotus Elan

1996 Range Rover

#44704 OFFLINE   catsinthewelder

catsinthewelder

• Full Members
  • 3,837 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

Last week I booked an MOT booked for 2pm today,  couldn't tell them the reg as I didn't know which car would be ready.

Was busy with kids all weekend and made negative progress as a wild pony headbutted the o/s mirror casing off the Astra.

IMG_20180113_134805126.jpg

Horse was fine.

On Monday kitteninthewelder #2 was ill at home and my tools were at work so housework happened. :neutral:

On Tuesday she was still ill but I did sneak out and spend an hour and a half dismantling the Astras tailgate to find the wiring fault that was preventing both numberplate bulbs from working.  I discovered that the boot did have central locking but couldn't get it working.  Eventually found the problem was dirty contacts on the bulb holders. :oops:

On Wednesday I was working in the morning,  we got an L200 very stuck in mud and spent more time dragging it out with a tiny tractor than chopping firewood.  Was GR8 fun. :twisted:

In the afternoon I reattached the sump to the 405 (on about the 15th attempt) filled it with oil and it all stayed in.  Connected battery, wouldn't start.  Added Astra and Jump leads,  wouldn't start.  Added Booster pack + Astra,  wouldn't start.  Swapped Astra for Transit at 4000rpm.  Very slowly turned over then burst into life :D

Added the air con condensor then had to rush off and collect children.

Today  reattached alternator and adjuster,  tried to fit belt.  After 30 minutes I had worked out which way it ran around the adjusters and after another 15 I sought help from my boss to hold the sprung tensioner out of the way.  We spent 40 minutes and 4 people trying to hold it back so I could get the belt on before giving up.

It has a hole in that you can insert a pin into to hold it over.  Unfortunately you need to start by overtightening the belt so the holes in the tensioner line up in order to put the pin in.  Unfortunately I didn't do that 18 months ago and If I had it would have fallen out by now.  Fucksticks :evil:  Any ideas would be welcome.

This left me with 3 hours to prep the Astra for an MOT.  A few jobs were done, a bit of a tidy inside and the air filter moved into the boot and I set off.   Fuel was a bit low so I popped over to the last filling station before the MOT centre in a tiny Welsh town with ideas of £10 of super unleaded,  it had closed down.

Headed over to the MOT centre hoping to thrash it but thwarted by a convoy of tractors ahead so left it running outside while I checked the bulbs.  All were working but one was dim so I decided to replace it,  this worked fine and took me up to 2pm.  Just as I was hoping to go in some giffers arrived in a Fabia estate that was dragging its undertray and jumped the queue.  At 14;20 the Astra entered the bay, stopped and one of the brake lights was out FFS.  I had a word with the tester and we both stopped to check it.  At this point the fun really started as he removed the duel filament bulb.  Unfortunately this was the tallight and fog and disintigrated in his hand.  He pointed out that it was an unusual fitting as it was offset with a non offset bulb wedged in,  after a quick ransack of the shelves we couldn't find an offset bulb so repeated the bodge.  Contact cleaner and wire wiggling brought the stop light back and half an hour later it only fucking passed :P

Once home I popped on ebay and ordered a balljoint and a strut top bush.  They don't move much but it feels loose and it would be nice to have it driving properly.  If anyone is selling a set of 4 Vauxhall wheels with good tyres I would be interested too.

• richardthestag, The Moog, Skizzer and 6 others like this

95 Rover 220SLi

94 Peugeot 405 Estate
93 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

90 Dacia 1310

#44705 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,916 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

Where might I acquire number plate blanks for raised digits?  I've got the digits, just not the plates to put them on.

#44706 OFFLINE   trigger

trigger

• Full Members
  • 20,836 posts
  • 82 thanks
  • LocationIpswich

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:16 PM

Those plates look pucker, Tippers are excellent.

1977 Morris Marina 2 1.3 Deluxe Estate

1984 Morris Ital 575 Van

2008 Skoda Fabia 1.9TDi Sport 105

#44707 OFFLINE   reb

reb

• Full Members
  • 446 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:48 PM

Bloody cars. I've been thinking the Volvo felt a bit funny, but put it down to crap roads. A few days in the pug with it's pretty much entirely new front end, back in the Volvo and it feels like the wheels are falling off. Jack it up and the passenger front bearing appears to have more than completely had it. It's not been making any noise that I've noticed, which seems odd. Glad I've caught it before I SORN the pug for planned job switching. Perfect timing as I'm pretty much completely skint.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
845203.png497191.png

#44708 OFFLINE   They_all_do_that_sir

They_all_do_that_sir

• Full Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:15 AM

Tempted to apply for a NI reg for the XM, for no other reason than I can and it would be interesting to see what they issue me with......

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

2003 W203 C200 Kompressor

2004 Skoda Roomster

1998 Kawasaki ZZR1100

19?? Honda CB200 Twin

1988 Honda NE50 Vision

#44709 OFFLINE   robinmasters

robinmasters

• Full Members
  • 2,016 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Birthday breakfast. Car Mechanics magazine arrived yesterday, so I'm reading that in the pub; staff cars written about this month are a Rover 75 and a (Barry-ed up) MGF. 

IMG_20180119_091230.jpg

• ruffgeezer, richardthestag, cobblers and 20 others like this
I used to have a signature, but now I don't.

#44710 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 7,147 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Happy birthday looks a good start to your day
  • oldcars likes this
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#44711 OFFLINE   Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud

Unlicenced Phrenologist

• Full Members
  • 2,755 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationComfy Chair

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

1970s breakfast.

EFA !

• Skizzer and egg like this

#44712 OFFLINE   Skizzer

Skizzer

RIP Bill Gaffer Maynard. And my Discovery.

• Full Members
  • 6,131 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMumbles

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

Where might I acquire number plate blanks for raised digits?  I've got the digits, just not the plates to put them on.

I suggest phoning Tippers, they do restoration of old plates too: http://www.tippersvi...document&part=9

+1 on good service from them, they did the ones on my SD1.

The only tiny pedantic minus point versus Framptons is that Tippers’ plates have radiused corners rather than square.
  • HillmanImp, danthecapriman, RobT and 2 others like this

75N Vauxhall 2300S | 76P Lotus Elite | 76P Renault 16TL | 79T Rover 3500 | 82X Lancia Gamma Coupe | 82Y Jaguar XJ-S HE | 83A Jaguar Sovereign 4.2 | 84B Talbot-Matra Rancho | 85C Ford Granada 2.8 estate | 91H Audi 80 2.0E | 91J VW Golf Rivage cabrio | 06 Alfa Brera 2.2JTS | 14 BMW 428i | 18 Skoda Kodiaq

#44713 OFFLINE   scaryoldcortina

scaryoldcortina

• Full Members
  • 5,526 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationUnderground, overground. Wombling free....

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

I just got a text from an unrecognized mobile number...

Hi Andy
Could you see how much an engine is going to be thanks

I think I know who is asking even though she doesn't bother to say. It's been a quiet couple of weeks, I was really hoping she'd either got another car or given up entirely.

I'm going to ignore it for now, but I do have a figure in mind if she really wants the engine changed. It's got several naughts at the end and starts with a five.
  • The Moog, John F, Lacquer Peel and 9 others like this

#44714 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 7,892 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

Tell her to fuck off
  • puddlethumper likes this

1997 R Nissan Primera GT

2002 02 Porsche Boxster S

2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access

#44715 OFFLINE   scaryoldcortina

scaryoldcortina

• Full Members
  • 5,526 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

Asking for half a mil to fix a mk1 focus should have the same result without having to resort to profanity.
  • richardthestag, dollywobbler, The Moog and 7 others like this

#44716 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 7,892 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

Sometimes profanity is all these people understand
  • puddlethumper likes this

1997 R Nissan Primera GT

2002 02 Porsche Boxster S

2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access

#44717 OFFLINE   scaryoldcortina

scaryoldcortina

• Full Members
  • 5,526 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

No, she thinks "Fuck off" is banter but gets very upset if the bill is £10 more than she was expecting.
  • richardthestag, cobblers and Kiltox like this

#44718 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,281 posts
  • 161 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

Birthday breakfast. Car Mechanics magazine arrived yesterday, so I'm reading that in the pub; staff cars written about this month are a Rover 75 and a (Barry-ed up) MGF. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20180119_091230.jpg

Weatherspoon's plate?

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#44719 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

Hoisin Crispy Owl

• Full Members
  • 3,956 posts
  • 38 thanks

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

No, she thinks "Fuck off" is banter but gets very upset if the bill is £10 more than she was expecting.

I suspect a lot of people tell her to fuck off and she's just got used to it.

• GrumpyCat, DeeJay and BorniteIdentity like this

#44720 OFFLINE   Rave

Rave

• Full Members
  • 1,087 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationSE London

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Anyone need any Mk6 Fiesta parts?

Was thinking about getting out of bed when I heard a bang and some angry voices outside my window- our house is on the corner of a residential road and a side road.

Fiesta.jpg

The Fiesta belongs to a chap over the road who I barely know, but we sign for his parcels occasionally, and thus have exchanged a few pleasantries. It's a Ghia I think, might even have a leather interior.

The Q5 has what looks like a personalised plate and "Quattro" on the front splitter, I suspect it was proceeding down our road at slightly more than the 20mph limit when someone pulled out of the side road, causing a swerve into the parked Fez, but that's speculation obv. The police have turned up now, the local vehicle base is at the end of the road!

#44721 OFFLINE   Parky

Parky

I don't watch much Television

• Full Members
  • 5,697 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • LocationBut I hear Breaking Bad is very good

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

She merely asked how much an engine is going to cost. She didn't specify which engine did she? For example a Rolls Royce Trent 7000 is an engine, and that retails at $37.9m.

You do know that there is literally nothing you can do to satisfy this customer? If she got it back with brand new paint, running gear, reupholstered interior and a brand new set of Bridgestones she would be on the phone complaining its too grippy or the engine is too quiet. Just tell her there isn't anything you can do, you are absolutely overrun with work for months, she will need to try someone else. However an inflated amount of cash up front might enable you to shift some stuff about....
  • Angrydicky, loserone, cms206 and 2 others like this

#44722 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,202 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

Anyone need any Mk6 Fiesta parts?

Was thinking about getting out of bed when I heard a bang and some angry voices outside my window- our house is on the corner of a residential road and a side road.

attachicon.gifFiesta.jpg

The Fiesta belongs to a chap over the road who I barely know, but we sign for his parcels occasionally, and thus have exchanged a few pleasantries. It's a Ghia I think, might even have a leather interior.

The Q5 has what looks like a personalised plate and "Quattro" on the front splitter, I suspect it was proceeding down our road at slightly more than the 20mph limit when someone pulled out of the side road, causing a swerve into the parked Fez, but that's speculation obv. The police have turned up now, the local vehicle base is at the end of the road!

It looks like the airbags deployed. So if the police really want to know they can pull the last few seconds of crash data off the airbag computer to find out what speed they really were going.
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#44723 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,350 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

Well it is done I have agreed to purchase the replacement for the 202. Flights booked for next Wednesday fingers crossed it makes the 900 mile drive home. I did check with my breakdown company (swintons) and as I have full european personal cover they will come out if it breaks and get me home. They really are good as they are covering it even though it is Spanish registered and nearly 50 years old.

• wuvvum, richardthestag, danthecapriman and 22 others like this

'65 Ford Thunderbird just arrived from the US

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

'99 Peugeot 806 (with slightly less dents) daily

'02 Toyota Yaris (faded paint and some dents)

#44724 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 3,172 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

Well it is done I have agreed to purchase the replacement for the 202. Flights booked for next Wednesday fingers crossed it makes the 900 mile drive home. I did check with my breakdown company (swintons) and as I have full european personal cover they will come out if it breaks and get me home. They really are good as they are covering it even though it is Spanish registered and nearly 50 years old.

Is it that SEAT hearse?

F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#44725 OFFLINE   oldcars

oldcars

• Full Members
  • 6,105 posts
  • 35 thanks

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Is it that SEAT hearse?

I thought you lay down in a hearse?

• The Moog, tooSavvy, They_all_do_that_sir and 2 others like this

#44726 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:00 PM

^^^ ...saw what you did there!

TS
  • oldcars likes this

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_0815d58667.jpgSUCKS

#44727 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,350 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:00 PM

Is it that SEAT hearse?

Yeap could save myself a few quid on a hotel as well, so a bit of a result really. £50 for a flight and the Ferry to Poole is £85. Just the cost of the fuel to worry about. I will take my motorway toll tag to save a bit of agro as well on the toll roads. I would rather take the back roads but I need to be back for work on Friday morning.

• They_all_do_that_sir, Sigmund Fraud and egg like this

'65 Ford Thunderbird just arrived from the US

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

'99 Peugeot 806 (with slightly less dents) daily

'02 Toyota Yaris (faded paint and some dents)

#44728 OFFLINE   Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud

Unlicenced Phrenologist

• Full Members
  • 2,755 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationComfy Chair

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:04 PM

Yeap could save myself a few quid on a hotel as well, so a bit of a result really.

vlcsnap-00195.jpg

• GrumpyCat, richardthestag, loserone and 8 others like this

#44729 OFFLINE   Skizzer

Skizzer

RIP Bill Gaffer Maynard. And my Discovery.

• Full Members
  • 6,131 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMumbles

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

I have full european personal cover they will come out if it breaks and get me home.

Just the cost of the fuel to worry about.

Fingers crossed it breaks down on you, in that case.
  • dome, somewhatfoolish, BorniteIdentity and 3 others like this

75N Vauxhall 2300S | 76P Lotus Elite | 76P Renault 16TL | 79T Rover 3500 | 82X Lancia Gamma Coupe | 82Y Jaguar XJ-S HE | 83A Jaguar Sovereign 4.2 | 84B Talbot-Matra Rancho | 85C Ford Granada 2.8 estate | 91H Audi 80 2.0E | 91J VW Golf Rivage cabrio | 06 Alfa Brera 2.2JTS | 14 BMW 428i | 18 Skoda Kodiaq

#44730 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

Express

• Full Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • 49 thanks
  • Locationdowel.

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Fairly topical in the news at the moment.. how bad is the sno up north, really? Is it "Daily Fail travel chaos" or "actually quite bad"? I have to drive up to Edinburger on Monday, most likely with a trailer on tow... is this a bad idea?
Current fleet:  Mercedes.  Xantia.  Berlingo.  Discovery.  Forward Control.  Nova. Historic shite.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users