The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

our plan is to keep it as close to as built as we can, but leaving things such as the aftermarket reversing lights on it.

so, that means putting the vinyl seats in, keeping the bus sized steering wheel and the 10 inch wheels and hubcaps.

this is one mini that will be avoiding the big arches and bucket seats that once were the things to add to a mini. and yes, this one was black from new, which is unusual enough in itself. we know that the car has had some paintwork done by the previous owner. the original paint was as flat as a flat thing. and we've got some pictures of it been done.

we already have a factory built cooper sport, so this one i want to keep it as close to how mini's used to look when i was a nipper. this car is afterall 6 weeks older than me!

Today, Mrs CW showed just how much of a wit she is. I was fettling her exercise treadmill - leaving it in bits on the bedroom floor while I went in search of M8 threaded bar, m8, with which to fix it. The search included me looking in the boot of the XM (to which I've done nothing for months, apart from shoot longing glances at it). Boot won't open. The central locking seems sluggish (I've not started the big Cit in months) so I pop the bonnet and put the jump pack on the battery. Still no opening of the boot. So I get the keys in the ignition and crank - it takes two goes of very slow cranking (the jump pack is only on 12.5v itself) but it does eventually start, to my delight, so a quick bit of Citrobatics is required and I want to make sure that it gets properly warmed up...

Mrs CW appears, and delivers the best put down I think I've ever heard...

"Did you get distracted by something rusty?"

Someone outside work arrived yesterday afternoon to collect their new mclaren. Bright yellow ( the car not the trump alike). He was late fifties, balding, and had a grey ponytail. Wife/ girlfriend perhaps a generation younger.

Do you mean he had a skullet? As in like a bald mullet - bald at the front but trimmed where there is hair, and long at the back?

Bought this recently. Unfortunately it's more bent than a nine bob note so it's a breaker to help other projects.

Blue%20GTA%20project%204%20sf.jpg

Got a french guy wanting all the bits from it for his project....

28comdw.jpg

Erm are you sure? Better off just using my shell M8.

In other news the 645 has had the odd wobble but still proving to be a great V8 cruiser. Serviced it and replaced a pipe which was leaking. Going to run it until late summer then move it on.

The Alpine is booked in for it's long overdue clutch in March. It has to be custom made as Valeo have destroyed the cover plate moulds for the A610. That's going to hurt the coffers.

The Multivan had an FTP which proved to be a battery needing replacement so that's all good again.

Are there no new old stock items left anywhere ? No other PRV clutch covers fit ?

Not for the A610. The GTA Turbo clutch cover will fit fine but it slips due to the increase in torque of the 3.0 A610. The friction plate and release bearing are also the same so there is a chink of light that if mine is slipping due to oil contamination or a worn friction plate then we might be able to use the old cover plate. If not Helix do a clutch kit for £700.

Just put The Aero's old National Trust sticker in The Volvo's rear window, as this year's one (made from a different sort of plastic, making it unable to be easily removed and thus not transferable from car to car) arrived the other day. The car had a similar sticker in the same place when I bought it, but I removed it almost immediately, due to being 26 years old at the time (I'm 40 now...). The 'Arthur Daley' sticker has been in the window for many years now ^^

post-4796-0-78620800-1516565105_thumb.jpg

further mini tinkering.....

n/s seat belt is fubar'd, the mechanism is jammed solid, and the big coil spring what winds the belt back in is broken.

so, new belts too have been added to the list.

the other half is going to take the back seat to a local trimming place this week, partly to see what (if anything) can be done with it, and how much it'll cost.

in other news, rather foolishly we have bought TWO london to brighton mini run tickets,

one for the orange mini,

and one for the black one.

so the black one MUST be finished, legal and used a bit on the road by 20th May.

no pressure then! (what a dummy.....)

Collection capers tomorrow.

Domestic approval for this was eased by undertaking childcare duties whilst Mrs h went out on the razz with her mates this weekend.

If I can dispose of the Smart and the RAV4 this week, then truly my life will be complete.

Safrane of much loveliness?

The AX finally went today. I'm hoping the buyer likes it and doesn't barrage me with abuse about its little faults, which I'm sure I covered all of.

I'd had an idea about what I wanted to spend the money on it and it's potentially sold...as per.

Bit disappointing but that's how it goes. I know I've not had the best luck with BXs but I just can't get it out of my head. Or a GSA (which I actually was going to buy).

If ever there was need of a warning about how hobbies can start to take disproportionate control of our lives, check out the chap who started building a model of HMS Ark Royal in 1992 and just finished now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cornwall-42750033/ark-royal-model-started-in-1992-is-ready

You know when you put an autobid on fleabay and hope you don't win and then you are winning all week and the thing has bid all the way up to the uncomfortable end of the autobid and it looks like no fool will out bid and you start to justify why you done it in the first place which still can't be justified and then.... You get outbid at the last second! 

Yeah, that just happened... Further savings. Skilz

You know when you put an autobid on fleabay and hope you don't win and then you are winning all week and the thing has bid all the way up to the uncomfortable end of the autobid and it looks like no fool will out bid and you start to justify why you done it in the first place which still can't be justified and then.... You get outbid at the last second! 

Yeah, that just happened... Further savings. Skilz

Give it half an hour and you’ll get a second chance offer from the seller, if they’re still a thing.