The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Last week I booked an MOT booked for 2pm today,  couldn't tell them the reg as I didn't know which car would be ready.

Was busy with kids all weekend and made negative progress as a wild pony headbutted the o/s mirror casing off the Astra.

post-4555-0-05713700-1516308103_thumb.jpg

Horse was fine.

On Monday kitteninthewelder #2 was ill at home and my tools were at work so housework happened. :neutral:

On Tuesday she was still ill but I did sneak out and spend an hour and a half dismantling the Astras tailgate to find the wiring fault that was preventing both numberplate bulbs from working.  I discovered that the boot did have central locking but couldn't get it working.  Eventually found the problem was dirty contacts on the bulb holders. :oops:

On Wednesday I was working in the morning,  we got an L200 very stuck in mud and spent more time dragging it out with a tiny tractor than chopping firewood.  Was GR8 fun. :twisted:

In the afternoon I reattached the sump to the 405 (on about the 15th attempt) filled it with oil and it all stayed in.  Connected battery, wouldn't start.  Added Astra and Jump leads,  wouldn't start.  Added Booster pack + Astra,  wouldn't start.  Swapped Astra for Transit at 4000rpm.  Very slowly turned over then burst into life :D

Added the air con condensor then had to rush off and collect children.

Today  reattached alternator and adjuster,  tried to fit belt.  After 30 minutes I had worked out which way it ran around the adjusters and after another 15 I sought help from my boss to hold the sprung tensioner out of the way.  We spent 40 minutes and 4 people trying to hold it back so I could get the belt on before giving up.

It has a hole in that you can insert a pin into to hold it over.  Unfortunately you need to start by overtightening the belt so the holes in the tensioner line up in order to put the pin in.  Unfortunately I didn't do that 18 months ago and If I had it would have fallen out by now.  Fucksticks :evil:  Any ideas would be welcome.

This left me with 3 hours to prep the Astra for an MOT.  A few jobs were done, a bit of a tidy inside and the air filter moved into the boot and I set off.   Fuel was a bit low so I popped over to the last filling station before the MOT centre in a tiny Welsh town with ideas of £10 of super unleaded,  it had closed down.

Headed over to the MOT centre hoping to thrash it but thwarted by a convoy of tractors ahead so left it running outside while I checked the bulbs.  All were working but one was dim so I decided to replace it,  this worked fine and took me up to 2pm.  Just as I was hoping to go in some giffers arrived in a Fabia estate that was dragging its undertray and jumped the queue.  At 14;20 the Astra entered the bay, stopped and one of the brake lights was out FFS.  I had a word with the tester and we both stopped to check it.  At this point the fun really started as he removed the duel filament bulb.  Unfortunately this was the tallight and fog and disintigrated in his hand.  He pointed out that it was an unusual fitting as it was offset with a non offset bulb wedged in,  after a quick ransack of the shelves we couldn't find an offset bulb so repeated the bodge.  Contact cleaner and wire wiggling brought the stop light back and half an hour later it only fucking passed :P

Once home I popped on ebay and ordered a balljoint and a strut top bush.  They don't move much but it feels loose and it would be nice to have it driving properly.  If anyone is selling a set of 4 Vauxhall wheels with good tyres I would be interested too.

Bloody cars. I've been thinking the Volvo felt a bit funny, but put it down to crap roads. A few days in the pug with it's pretty much entirely new front end, back in the Volvo and it feels like the wheels are falling off. Jack it up and the passenger front bearing appears to have more than completely had it. It's not been making any noise that I've noticed, which seems odd. Glad I've caught it before I SORN the pug for planned job switching. Perfect timing as I'm pretty much completely skint.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Where might I acquire number plate blanks for raised digits?  I've got the digits, just not the plates to put them on.

I suggest phoning Tippers, they do restoration of old plates too: http://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/tippers?opendocument&part=9

+1 on good service from them, they did the ones on my SD1.

The only tiny pedantic minus point versus Framptons is that Tippers’ plates have radiused corners rather than square.

I just got a text from an unrecognized mobile number...

Hi Andy

Could you see how much an engine is going to be thanks

I think I know who is asking even though she doesn't bother to say. It's been a quiet couple of weeks, I was really hoping she'd either got another car or given up entirely.

I'm going to ignore it for now, but I do have a figure in mind if she really wants the engine changed. It's got several naughts at the end and starts with a five.

Anyone need any Mk6 Fiesta parts?

Was thinking about getting out of bed when I heard a bang and some angry voices outside my window- our house is on the corner of a residential road and a side road.

post-20573-0-10031400-1516365164_thumb.jpg

The Fiesta belongs to a chap over the road who I barely know, but we sign for his parcels occasionally, and thus have exchanged a few pleasantries. It's a Ghia I think, might even have a leather interior.

The Q5 has what looks like a personalised plate and "Quattro" on the front splitter, I suspect it was proceeding down our road at slightly more than the 20mph limit when someone pulled out of the side road, causing a swerve into the parked Fez, but that's speculation obv. The police have turned up now, the local vehicle base is at the end of the road!

She merely asked how much an engine is going to cost. She didn't specify which engine did she? For example a Rolls Royce Trent 7000 is an engine, and that retails at $37.9m.

You do know that there is literally nothing you can do to satisfy this customer? If she got it back with brand new paint, running gear, reupholstered interior and a brand new set of Bridgestones she would be on the phone complaining its too grippy or the engine is too quiet. Just tell her there isn't anything you can do, you are absolutely overrun with work for months, she will need to try someone else. However an inflated amount of cash up front might enable you to shift some stuff about....

Anyone need any Mk6 Fiesta parts?

Was thinking about getting out of bed when I heard a bang and some angry voices outside my window- our house is on the corner of a residential road and a side road.

attachicon.gifFiesta.jpg

The Fiesta belongs to a chap over the road who I barely know, but we sign for his parcels occasionally, and thus have exchanged a few pleasantries. It's a Ghia I think, might even have a leather interior.

The Q5 has what looks like a personalised plate and "Quattro" on the front splitter, I suspect it was proceeding down our road at slightly more than the 20mph limit when someone pulled out of the side road, causing a swerve into the parked Fez, but that's speculation obv. The police have turned up now, the local vehicle base is at the end of the road!

It looks like the airbags deployed. So if the police really want to know they can pull the last few seconds of crash data off the airbag computer to find out what speed they really were going.

Well it is done I have agreed to purchase the replacement for the 202. Flights booked for next Wednesday fingers crossed it makes the 900 mile drive home. I did check with my breakdown company (swintons) and as I have full european personal cover they will come out if it breaks and get me home. They really are good as they are covering it even though it is Spanish registered and nearly 50 years old.

Well it is done I have agreed to purchase the replacement for the 202. Flights booked for next Wednesday fingers crossed it makes the 900 mile drive home. I did check with my breakdown company (swintons) and as I have full european personal cover they will come out if it breaks and get me home. They really are good as they are covering it even though it is Spanish registered and nearly 50 years old.

Is it that SEAT hearse?

Is it that SEAT hearse?

Yeap could save myself a few quid on a hotel as well, so a bit of a result really. £50 for a flight and the Ferry to Poole is £85. Just the cost of the fuel to worry about. I will take my motorway toll tag to save a bit of agro as well on the toll roads. I would rather take the back roads but I need to be back for work on Friday morning.

Fairly topical in the news at the moment.. how bad is the sno up north, really? Is it "Daily Fail travel chaos" or "actually quite bad"? I have to drive up to Edinburger on Monday, most likely with a trailer on tow... is this a bad idea?

I'm in Durham,we did have around 4-6 inches on wednesday night,it snowed for around 5 hours.On my way home thursday morning the snowplows and gritters were out.

All the main roads are clear with side roads turning to slush but it is freezing.It could be -5 tonight.It will be ok.

Edit

The weather forecast  for Sunday is heavy snow