Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The new news 24 thread

• Please log in to reply
54268 replies to this topic

#44611 OFFLINE   Bren

Bren

• Full Members
  • 6,899 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationI dunno man - i only just got here meself!

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

Attacked the passat's headlights with t cut.
They are now clear - they were opaque.
Could'nt sort out the inoperative central locking on the rear off side passenger door. Fob does nothing but if I use the switch on the driver door panel the locks work perfectly. Very odd.
  • Stevebrookman likes this

#44612 OFFLINE   Lankytim

Lankytim

• Full Members
  • 6,930 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationSorry, this part is no longer available.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

Finally SORNED the S40 and put the diesel X type on the road. It goes really well but has a noisy rear wheel bearing- it sounds like a spin driver falling out of a plane. New ones are only £25 or so so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm trying not to think about the sills. 

I'm keeping the S40 for the time being just in case this Jag turns out to be mega crap and leaves me without transport. 

• Lord Sterling likes this

2004 Fiat Multipla JTD, running on Biodiesel

2005 Jaguar X type diesel

1958 Mantaray VW buggy

#44613 OFFLINE   Lankytim

Lankytim

• Full Members
  • 6,930 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationSorry, this part is no longer available.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

Possibly the best £33 I've ever spent and definitely the best brake pipe flaring tool I've ever used. Perfect flares on a steel pipes still attached to the car and with limited access. An absolute life saver. Repairs to the CRV are progressing well. Next step is to make 4 repair lines and connect up the rear brake proportional valve. Not much space where it all has to live but still more fun than having to replace the complete lines as some of them are hidden behind the steering rack!

Would this work on my beetle based kit car? It needs everything replacing...

2004 Fiat Multipla JTD, running on Biodiesel

2005 Jaguar X type diesel

1958 Mantaray VW buggy

#44614 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,344 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:14 PM

I have used this one a few times with no problems. Never had to claim though, so no idea if its any use.

https://www.assuranc...provisoire.com/

On the plus side, no fucking about, sign up online and no hassles.

If you search Assurance Temporaire Voiture on the french googles there are various places that offer it but plenty are a fucking nightmare of needing faxed copies of the carte gris and shit like that....the usual French inability to grasp what the internet is and how it works.

Thanks Dave I will give them a try if the deal comes off. It all depends if the seller thinks it is fit to drive all the way back from Nice.

'65 Ford Thunderbird just arrived from the US

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

'99 Peugeot 806 (with slightly less dents) daily

'02 Toyota Yaris (faded paint and some dents)

#44615 OFFLINE   blackboilersuit

blackboilersuit

• Full Members
  • 109 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationRolling around in shite.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

Would this work on my beetle based kit car? It needs everything replacing...

Should do. There are 2 tools available, one to do DIN flares and one to do SAE flares. That should cover pretty much any brake component you could find on any car that was ever fitted with hydraulic brakes. Both are designed for 3/16" (4.75mm) diameter brake line. 

I'd recommend when buying brake line spending the extra on the cupro-nickel (Kunifer) rather than copper. It's less prone to splitting, more resistant to corrosion and nicer to work with IMHO.

• Lankytim likes this

#44616 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 3,896 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

Its a hell of a slog from Nice....probably a solid 12 hours in a modern at Autoroute speeds....feck knows how many days in something shite.

http://www.anchorvehiclelogistics.com/ and the like might be worth a try? I think cros has some contacts for trans euro shipping too?

• panhard65 likes this

#44617 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,344 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

Its a hell of a slog from Nice....probably a solid 12 hours in a modern at Autoroute speeds....feck knows how many days in something shite.

http://www.anchorvehiclelogistics.com/ and the like might be worth a try? I think cros has some contacts for trans euro shipping too?

I did look and they still have motor rail but the car goes on it's own overnight and it only goes to Paris. If I give myself a couple of days it should be doable if the car is half decent

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#44618 OFFLINE   Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud

Unlicenced Phrenologist

• Full Members
  • 2,755 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationComfy Chair

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

Get HMCs GSA when he sells it.

EFA !

• BorniteIdentity and egg like this

#44619 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,164 posts
  • 90 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

I seem to remember someone on here has said that they do car transporting/delivery and are based around Berkshire area? I can't remember who it was!
  • egg likes this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#44620 OFFLINE   Saabnut

Saabnut

• Full Members
  • 508 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

I did look and they still have motor rail but the car goes on it's own overnight and it only goes to Paris. If I give myself a couple of days it should be doable if the car is half decent

If you drive up via Tours/Le Mans I can provide overnight accommodation and a not very well equipped garage to fettle with a bit of notice

• spike60 likes this

#44621 ONLINE   egg

egg

Just another content provider

• Full Members
  • 6,289 posts
  • 61 thanks
  • LocationDown the Bay, Kent

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

I seem to remember someone on here has said that they do car transporting/delivery and are based around Berkshire area? I can't remember who it was!

Wingz123.

• SiC likes this

1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 GLX , 1995 Mazda 323c 1.5 auto.

#44622 OFFLINE   phil_lihp

phil_lihp

• Full Members
  • 4,915 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

Had a brilliant trip out today to Gaydon motor museum during a historic rally car event, bit of a trek with 400 miles covered but well worth it.  The place is huge and very well laid out, masses to see and not expensive, either.  They had a Jaguar exhibition on which was superb, something for everyone in there and the upstairs area crammed full of BL concepts, first/last off the line models and other exotica made me a very happy chap.  Also, a bonus Toyota Carina, in attendance as the first Toyota ever built in Britain.

As a special bonus, there was also a Dollywobbler in attendance.  Was nice to catch up and chat for a brief period, he's one busy chap.

Here's a few of my personal highlights, the Jaguar XJ40 estate is probably the one I would take home though,  Just glorious.  The SD1 estate in the main building, not so much, odd thing with comical panel gaps.  In Rover's defence though, the gas turbine P6 is a wonderful thing, complete with handwritten notes on the dashboard warning against putting it in neutral or trying to drive it before it's warmed up for 30 mins.

20180113_111725.jpg

20180113_112356.jpg

20180113_132529.jpg

20180113_133548.jpg

20180113_135935.jpg

20180113_140117.jpg

20180113_141637.jpg

20180113_143103.jpg

• danthecapriman, Skizzer, Björn and 9 others like this

#44623 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

hooptie life

• Full Members
  • 3,558 posts
  • 53 thanks

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for sharing Phil, that XJ40 estate (is it s "shooting brake"?) is top bollock.

I worked at an event at Gaydon approx 6/7 years ago and was looking forward to wandering the vehicles in isolation (museum was closed for the event which was in the conference center, but the staff said we could dip into the exhibits as we pleased) but unfortunately the company running the event couldn't organise a wank in a brothel and so I never got to leave the support desk for the entirety. Rubbing salt into the wounds now.

• RobT and phil_lihp like this

#44624 ONLINE   RobT

RobT

• Full Members
  • 3,709 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSE London

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

This morning I got up at the crack to go and collect my 'new' ramps from Braintree. 140 miles there and back all for a set of cheap ramps, but it's a trip out innit.

20180113_145127.jpg

Fold away for ease of storage and they're nice and wide. Must remember not to drive off the end of them though...

I took the Cav today and not far from home saw another one which is a rare occurance these days. Probably the worst spot in the world, courtesy of Mrs T.

IMG-20180113-WA0000.jpg

Then this afternoon I gave it a quick rinse. Poor old thing is suffering a bit with a few issues, but it keeps on going and I can't be arsed fixing anything at the moment.

20180113_154754.jpg

After that I broke the Mazda. Nothing major, just caught the door mirror casing whilst reversing out of the garage. What a plonker! But it's the first time I've ever done such a thing and a bit of superglue should sort it. Thankfully the mirror is OK.

20180113_144820.jpg

In other news, the itch is back. I've been trying to be good but resistance is now futile!
  • Skizzer, vulgalour, richardmorris and 6 others like this

1982 miniMetro 1.0 L

1991 Renault 19 GTS-X
1992 Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 CDi
1997 Citroen Xantia TD Temptation

#44625 OFFLINE   Lord Sterling

Lord Sterling

• Full Members
  • 7,227 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • LocationWorcestershire or İstanbul, Türkiye

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:10 PM

attachicon.gif20180113_175245.jpg
I forget who posted this in the eBay tat thread, but I finally got around to collecting it today

Hey, how much did you get that Nissan mkdel for? I've seen a few in some smaller Nissan dealerships still on display, wouldn't mind one myself seeing as they are pretty rare.
.31109980376_e6f01e6edd_o.jpg

▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░..AUTOSHITE; bringing misery and despair to the world of motoring..░▒▓█▄▀▄▀▄

سبحان الله

AUTOSHITES CRUMBLING EXECUSHITE LEAGUE...
'03 BMW 316i SE - ...Daily; needs new expansion tank... :lol:
'97 Rover 825 Sterling auto - ...Needs; sills, radiator... :|
'95 Rover 827 Sterling auto - ...Needs; recommissioning... :(
'90 Rover 827 Sterling auto - ...Needs; head gasket... :sad:
'87 Rover 825 Sterling auto - ...Needs; reccomissioning... :neutral:
'87 Rover 820E auto - ...Garaged, needs recommissioning... :mrgreen:

#44626 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 4,052 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

Bizarre day... went with missus shopping in canterbury, trying to take my mind off her driving i decided to look online for a 7 seater, found a vw sharan and pictures were ok but bashed about and on door badly repainted,spoke to seller not overly impressed decided not to bother, then found a galaxy (which i wanted) being sold nearby to missuse house, went to see it very happy didnt even argue with price, father/son bought for visiting daughter/sister coming from australia for 1 month and was cheaper to buy a 7 seater than hire for xmas/new year period with kids, well known local busness to area.

1.9 tdi 6 speed.

Thought i was too early as ford galaxy wasnt were when arrived, the dad had took it to be hoovered and washed.

Attached Images

• PicsArt_01-13-10.47.57.jpg
  • PicsArt_01-13-10.46.06.jpg

• Mr_Bo11ox, Fat_Pirate, alf892 and 13 others like this

Deafining folk in fozzie the Focus  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  

Driver of the daddy bus 'ford galaxy 

#44627 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,892 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:38 AM

Hey RobT, Mike's got a lovely little five door Corsa B that's just your cup of tea ;)

• RobT likes this

#44628 OFFLINE   dieselassist

dieselassist

• Full Members
  • 425 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationIreland

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:43 AM

...Im off to Limerick tomorrow to finally buy a garage heater 'this year' - its an annual buy for me as they don't seem to last, but then I always buy the cheapest one...

while over there I thought id call into the sister, niece n nephew in nearby Ennis, so gave her a call there earlier to see if she'd be 'in'...

...Long story short, her old 'stop gap' car a 99 1.25 4 door fiesta with 70k miles on it, if refusing to select any gears 'clutch gone' she says; I originally picked it up in Dublin for her from a friend of her friend who was emigrating; nice old thing well looked after, but its just outta test n tax n shes' done with it' having got the necessary 5 months motoring out of it till we went across the water n waved up a hand to win her a 14' Ford Focus.... It was in regular use till end of decemeber- my mam used to use it ferring the kids about when she was over there 'minding the childer', when my sis was at work...

... anyways 'scrapping it for €70' is now her mindset, but its a nice old thing with solid sills tho the arches have some bubbling... I convinced her to give it a week's 'stay of execution' - I reckon the clutch cable might be stretched or something...

...if its not a complete lost cause I might offer it up on here for any Irish shitters for the scrap money price?? Its got a sunroof n front leccy windows, if that tips anyone 'over the edge' Interest wise...

#44629 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 3,160 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:21 AM

^^
Ah, Ennis. Many a happy time spent there. :-)
  • dieselassist likes this
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#44630 ONLINE   RobT

RobT

• Full Members
  • 3,709 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSE London

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

Hey RobT, Mike's got a lovely little five door Corsa B that's just your cup of tea ;)

I'm currently looking at more Jap tat and Swedish barges but thanks for the thought!

1982 miniMetro 1.0 L

1991 Renault 19 GTS-X
1992 Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 CDi
1997 Citroen Xantia TD Temptation

#44631 OFFLINE   phil_lihp

phil_lihp

• Full Members
  • 4,915 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

Well if you find anything down in the south west, happy to return the favour and collect it :)
  • RobT likes this

#44632 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,208 posts
  • 159 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:41 AM

Had a brilliant trip out today to Gaydon motor museum during a historic rally car event, bit of a trek with 400 miles covered but well worth it.  The place is huge and very well laid out, masses to see and not expensive, either.  They had a Jaguar exhibition on which was superb, something for everyone in there and the upstairs area crammed full of BL concepts, first/last off the line models and other exotica made me a very happy chap.  Also, a bonus Toyota Carina, in attendance as the first Toyota ever built in Britain.

As a special bonus, there was also a Dollywobbler in attendance.  Was nice to catch up and chat for a brief period, he's one busy chap.

Here's a few of my personal highlights, the Jaguar XJ40 estate is probably the one I would take home though,  Just glorious.  The SD1 estate in the main building, not so much, odd thing with comical panel gaps.  In Rover's defence though, the gas turbine P6 is a wonderful thing, complete with handwritten notes on the dashboard warning against putting it in neutral or trying to drive it before it's warmed up for 30 mins.

attachicon.gif20180113_111725.jpg

attachicon.gif20180113_112356.jpg

attachicon.gif20180113_132529.jpg

attachicon.gif20180113_133548.jpg

attachicon.gif20180113_135935.jpg

attachicon.gif20180113_140117.jpg

attachicon.gif20180113_141637.jpg

attachicon.gif20180113_143103.jpg

That XJ40 shooting brake is wonderful, I'll take that & the XJR fire tender.

• phil_lihp likes this

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#44633 OFFLINE   Skizzer

Skizzer

RIP Bill Gaffer Maynard. And my Discovery.

• Full Members
  • 6,116 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationMumbles

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

Good news: the Vauxhall 2300S now starts and runs reasonably smoothly, thanks to my having fitted (another) new condensor. This one has the wrong fitting so a bit of bracket fabrication will be needed for a permanent fix, but at least the car runs.

(Actual smoothness is too much to ask of a cold Vauxhall slant four, but it’s now capable of being driven without shaking itself to bits or making the neighbours get up a petition.)

Fear not though, the shite equilibrium remains in balance: the Lotus won’t fire up. Probably/ hopefully just the battery though.
  • dollywobbler, danthecapriman, Björn and 16 others like this

75N Vauxhall 2300S | 76P Lotus Elite | 76P Renault 16TL | 79T Rover 3500 | 82X Lancia Gamma Coupe | 82Y Jaguar XJ-S HE | 83A Jaguar Sovereign 4.2 | 84B Talbot-Matra Rancho | 85C Ford Granada 2.8 estate | 91H Audi 80 2.0E | 91J VW Golf Rivage cabrio | 06 Alfa Brera 2.2JTS | 14 BMW 428i | 18 Skoda Kodiaq

#44634 OFFLINE   Shep Shepherd

Shep Shepherd

DOGGAGE!

• Full Members
  • 3,863 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

Saw a lovely white Wartburg 353/Knight in Westcliff on the way to work this evening. Judging by its 'X' registration, it was a 'special edition' Lancastrian variant :)
  • The Moog likes this

Cars come and cars go, but The Volvo abides.

2003 - Date: The Volvo - 1990 Volvo 740 SE Dogmatic estate.

2016 - Date: The Aero - 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT manual estate.

#44635 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,344 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

So much for looking for a small car I have just made an enquiry about this.

• 356514735-tres-rare-chevrolet-bel-air-sp
  • 356514735_1-tres-rare-chevrolet-bel-air-

• nigel bickle, anonymous user, dollywobbler and 25 others like this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#44636 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 6,174 posts
  • 91 thanks

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

So much for looking for a small car I have just made an enquiry about this.

I take it you've seen the RHD Impala on the bay of e?

#44637 OFFLINE   pshome

pshome

=^..^=

• Full Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:25 PM

Yo Panhard, I'm sure 'pshome' knows an answer for that, I have a vague memory of him posting up a site that offered temporary trans-european insurance

indeed: http://autoshite.com...e/#entry874258

however that company appears to no longer exist and the site is down.

Just google for "assurance auto temporaire", there are many sites coming up.

Friend bought a car he found this summer while on holidays in france and got insurance from a local insurance shop within minutes. That may actually be easier than the online sites.

• panhard65 likes this

1978 504 GL
1977 504 V6 Convertible
1986 505 Turbo Injection

1982 Tagora 2.2 Automatic
2002 Zafira Diesel
2004 Corolla Diesel
2017 Duster 1.2
1981 Talbot Tagora Dinin replica
1983 Talbot Tagora SX
1981 Talbot Tagora GLS

1984 505 Turbo Injection
1989 505 SX
1982 Talbot Tagora SX
http://www.altefranzosen.de
http://www.504cc.de
http://www.talbot-tagora.com
http://www.504forum.de
http://www.talbot-tagora.de

#44638 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 3,344 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:40 PM

I take it you've seen the RHD Impala on the bay of e?

Yeah but it isn't an ex hearse so not really what I am after. If I am paying 4k for a project it needs to be something I like.

• DodgeRover likes this

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

#44639 OFFLINE   pshome

pshome

=^..^=

• Full Members
  • 4,005 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

I seem to be having a bit more luck today and the chance of a Renault 16TX. Trouble is it is in Nice and thats a long way with a trailer but it might drive back. Now for the daft question does anyone know of any way to get insurance to drive it in France. I can insure on the vin but that only covers it in the UK and not in France.

There is a train taking cars from Nice to Paris overnight, saves lots of driving miles and a hotel night.

https://uk.voyages-s...rains/autotrain

https://autotrain.uk...es-sncf.com/en/

P.S.

contrary to the (now defunct) German Autorail service where you drive yourself on and off the train, in france you drop the car on a lot and they drive it, may not be to anybodies taste to let some french railworker drive the car.

Attached Files

• egg likes this

1978 504 GL
1977 504 V6 Convertible
1986 505 Turbo Injection

1982 Tagora 2.2 Automatic
2002 Zafira Diesel
2004 Corolla Diesel
2017 Duster 1.2
1981 Talbot Tagora Dinin replica
1983 Talbot Tagora SX
1981 Talbot Tagora GLS

1984 505 Turbo Injection
1989 505 SX
1982 Talbot Tagora SX
http://www.altefranzosen.de
http://www.504cc.de
http://www.talbot-tagora.com
http://www.504forum.de
http://www.talbot-tagora.de

#44640 OFFLINE   Brodders

Brodders

• Full Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationStowmarket

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:25 PM

20180113_175245.jpg

I forget who posted this in the eBay tat thread, but I finally got around to collecting it today

Was that the one being sold by the chap who traded in the oldest MK2 Cavalier in the country in some scrappage scheme? I recall he was selling a model like that too.

Anyway, I quite like that. Well bought.
2001 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE
1998 Vauxhall Omega 3.0 MV6
1968 Triumph 1300

5 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

egg, RobT, Tam