The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On Facebook

One day a week with view to expand. Must be presentable as may have opportunity to move into other areas of the business. Quite simple task. Dismantle classic cars. Payment dependent on experience and ability. PM Me

Sounds 100% legit*

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/170178387083699

I took a trip across the bridge today, with the stripped C3 Pluriel body shell. Even with no engine, gearbox, interior or roof gubbins it still weighed in at 800 kilos. I was only expecting to get 40 or 50 quid, however I was pleased to have £112 transferred from EMR to my account.

Value of scrap has certainly increased, last time I weighed a car in was more than two years ago and I struggled to get 40 quid for a Metro.

Looking like I may be able to rent a garage and not cost too much either. Going to have a quick view outside tonight and if it generally looks ok, I'll get the keys to have another look inside. I guess as long as its dry and reasonably secure it'll be a go'er. Its only a 10-15 minute walk from home too, so very practical and the garages are part of a retirement flat building - so I guess its hopefully less likely for trouble makers/kids wanting to have a bit of "fun" at my expense with my car + stuff.

Told Mrs SiC and her response was:

Rolls eyes

Admittedly a ring is a bit cheaper (well what she wants is) than another car. :P

So had a wander up to where it would be. Closed up so couldn't see inside but I can pay a £10 deposit and get keys to take a look. Only irritating thing is that it's in front of a parking area and there is a yellow cross hatched area. The garage next to it has a hand written sign saying it's in use, so I suspect people park in front when it's busy.

Like this:

bf2dd83f647eb435d78df5a25e7fabeb.jpg

Even though that one was locked, a neighbouring one was open so I took a quick look inside.

af4d71e17d85b91e2415a68451b69447.jpg

Basically as you expect a garage! It backs onto a pile of soil, so I was worried about damp a bit. The asbestos roof had marks of where sealant was between the pieces. That wet looking mark at the back didn't feel wet, so not sure what could have caused it. I did wonder if it might have just something on a shelf back there that was spilt or even some car exhaust spewing out crap.

476025a76020f2a5ac59ddbf2d3cd0d9.jpg

He's OK. Nice lad. Something like super23 transport. Does transport recovery etc. I've used him a few times.I'm guessing he's picked up something for scrap money and is going to break it, but couldn't put a nut in a monkey's mouth.

So had a wander up to where it would be. Closed up so couldn't see inside but I can pay a £10 deposit and get keys to take a look. Only irritating thing is that it's in front of a parking area and there is a yellow cross hatched area. The garage next to it has a hand written sign saying it's in use, so I suspect people park in front when it's busy.

Like this:

bf2dd83f647eb435d78df5a25e7fabeb.jpg

Even though that one was locked, a neighbouring one was open so I took a quick look inside.

af4d71e17d85b91e2415a68451b69447.jpg

Basically as you expect a garage! It backs onto a pile of soil, so I was worried about damp a bit. The asbestos roof had marks of where sealant was between the pieces. That wet looking mark at the back didn't feel wet, so not sure what could have caused it. I did wonder if it might have just something on a shelf back there that was spilt or even some car exhaust spewing out crap.

476025a76020f2a5ac59ddbf2d3cd0d9.jpg

These sectional jobs that are backed onto earthbanks or soil accumulation will leech the water in through the joints and puddle on the floor.   Trouble is, you don't always see the water until a couple of days after a downpour.    Mine does this.   I blagged a massive PVC tarp from work and use it as a floor covering, pulling back the ends after any significant rainfall.   It dries out quite quickly....

I am an eBay twat !

I was idly looking at my watch list yesterday while waiting for a guy to turn up and collect a set of tyres, I shoved my phone in my pocket when he arrived. Five minutes later, I received an email advising me that I had successfully purchased and paid for an item and it is waiting to be despatched :(

Of all the items in my watch list, at least it chose something useful - an obd scanner - thank fuck it wasn't something more expensive - I must have fumbled the buttons in my pocket somehow :)

I am an eBay twat !

I was idly looking at my watch list yesterday while waiting for a guy to turn up and collect a set of tyres, I shoved my phone in my pocket when he arrived. Five minutes later, I received an email advising me that I had successfully purchased and paid for an item and it is waiting to be despatched :(

Of all the items in my watch list, at least it chose something useful - an obd scanner - thank fuck it wasn't something more expensive - I must have fumbled the buttons in my pocket somehow :)

Christ, it DOES happen!

These sectional jobs that are backed onto earthbanks or soil accumulation will leech the water in through the joints and puddle on the floor.   Trouble is, you don't always see the water until a couple of days after a downpour.    Mine does this.   I blagged a massive PVC tarp from work and use it as a floor covering, pulling back the ends after any significant rainfall.   It dries out quite quickly....

If you can get access round the back it may be possible to clear the soil or debris from the wall.

When I had the tyres fitted they had trouble sealing them. Recently I thought they'd been looking a bit low and I was going to pump them up, just hadn't got round to it yet, last time I drove anywhere was Tuesday morning, and the weather's been rubbish. It'd been fine up until then.

Unless it's an actual puncture, it seems like the cold weather here's made it unseal or something (car was at a friend's house in central Manchester where it's 2 degrees warmer all weekend). Got up and went out today, reversed off the drive, try to set off and there's a grumbling noise and the car pulls violently left. Can't drive that so stuck it back on the drive and got out to find the above. Don't want to use the pristine spare in January and the tyre fitters should sort it FOC based on the trouble they had sealing them so I'll chuck it in the Bini and run up soon. Rim looks undamaged luckily.

When I had the tyres fitted they had trouble sealing them. Recently I thought they'd been looking a bit low and I was going to pump them up, just hadn't got round to it yet, last time I drove anywhere was Tuesday morning, and the weather's been rubbish. It'd been fine up until then.

Unless it's an actual puncture, it seems like the cold weather here's made it unseal or something (car was at a friend's house in central Manchester where it's 2 degrees warmer all weekend). Got up and went out today, reversed off the drive, try to set off and there's a grumbling noise and the car pulls violently left. Can't drive that so stuck it back on the drive and got out to find the above. Don't want to use the pristine spare in January and the tyre fitters should sort it FOC based on the trouble they had sealing them so I'll chuck it in the Bini and run up soon. Rim looks undamaged luckily.

One of mine kept going down before I had the rims refubed, it was the valve leaking air on mine from corrosion and loose paint around where it seals.

These sectional jobs that are backed onto earthbanks or soil accumulation will leech the water in through the joints and puddle on the floor. Trouble is, you don't always see the water until a couple of days after a downpour. Mine does this. I blagged a massive PVC tarp from work and use it as a floor covering, pulling back the ends after any significant rainfall. It dries out quite quickly....

Just got the keys and went to view it earlier. Someone on the garage I am applying for appears to have replaced the back wallwith block work.

0a3b19dc7142e64ce04cecba60775f9b.jpg

No idea if that's better or worse for leaking/damp soaking through? At least the soil isn't against it.

It's also full of crap. So I'll probably have to end up waiting for that to be cleared before I can sign up for it. Probably going to be a couple of weeks at least best case. :?

139d96db3cca42fb3c024b577587f2fe.jpg

Looks shit, but I spent 2 hours lying under my car in the rain today as the bootlid drained directly on to my right knee and my right leg was slowly submerged into a puddle so I'd fucking kill for it at this point.

On a semi-related note my Dolly's handbrake now nearly works on a single wheel...

Just got the keys and went to view it earlier. Someone on the garage I am applying for appears to have replaced the back wallwith block work.

0a3b19dc7142e64ce04cecba60775f9b.jpg

No idea if that's better or worse for leaking/damp soaking through? At least the soil isn't against it.

It's also full of crap. So I'll probably have to end up waiting for that to be cleared before I can sign up for it. Probably going to be a couple of weeks at least best case. :?

139d96db3cca42fb3c024b577587f2fe.jpg

Why don't you chuck a tarpaulin over it,pop a pound shop padlock on it then get some comedian that no-one has heard of to auction it off to a group of gobshites .....

Could make a tv show put of it

If your local tip isn’t a total van nazi I have a van and a shovel....

Unfortunately they first need to catalog what's in there and then contact the "Area Housing Officer" for authorisation before they can clear it. Hassle.

I was tempted to keep quiet or quickly clear it out before I give the keys back after the viewing. However there is a bit too much stuff in there to do that.

So unfortunately I'll have to wait for the crappy process to do it's thing.

Unfortunately they first need to catalog what's in there and then contact the "Area Housing Officer" for authorisation before they can clear it. Hassle.

I was tempted to keep quiet or quickly clear it out before I give the keys back after the viewing. However there is a bit too much stuff in there to do that.

I applied for a garage near me from the housing association. They put me on the list but off the record admitted they have been using some themselves for storage of building materials etc for their contractors. Not holding out much hope but at £13 a month I can't complain

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

My one spaniel nearly bought a Jensen Interceptor, fortunately "buy it now" needs you to confirm and I was able to hit the back button before he stamped all over the keyboard for a second time

Obviously a dog of wealth and taste! I've friend requested someone on Facebook whilst the phone was supposedly locked in my pocket.

My one spaniel nearly bought a Jensen Interceptor, fortunately "buy it now" needs you to confirm and I was able to hit the back button before he stamped all over the keyboard for a second time

Slow, boy, Slowwww

"My Spaniel is BRILLIANT! - Cooks eggs/does toast/hoovers around/sh1ts outside!!"

...... FaceAche sensation ..... Utube 'earner' lolz

You just drive the Jensen... the dog will pay all the bills ;)

You Heard It Hear 1st.

TS

I'd still have a go at the undergrowth at the back, hack away the brambles and sweep the debris away from the concrete base; it's probably ok at the moment but in a year or two dead leaves and rubbish will build up and damp will creep in through the blockwork.