The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The pattern not matching between the fabric join really bugs me.

Maybe he's pulled his jacket on insides-out.

It is rather an unusual choice. Out of all of the jackets in all of the jacket shops, "I want that one".

Fair enough, and Happy New Year to you bud. It could be a really expensive one-off designer one for all I know.

Twenty/ten for couldn't-give-a-fuckness though. A bit like something Gram Parsons might have worn :-)

My kitchen now smells of rotten EP90 but on the brightside the engine is almost ready to come out my Bonnie. Just the rearsets to remove as they use the same bolts as the rear mounts & then the bottom mount.

I'd do more but not really in the mood so back to slacking on here & feeling bloody tired.

I was wrong, I need to take the chain off too. Not that I've done it.

Brown leather gloves completed the look. The fucker wouldn't stand still but you get the idea.5f1cdf978cfe4ed80fa48410c050ae35.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Elton John?

Had a relatively unproductive day today.  Haven't got any further with attempting to diagnose the lumpy idle and lack of throttle response on the Audi, although I'm beginning to think they may be two separate issues.  I did notice that occasionally a stream of bubbles would come through the fuel line into the pump, but this didn't seem to have any effect on the idle, which was just as lumpy when the fuel was flowing "cleanly".  I'm wondering if I can bodge it temporarily by increasing the idle speed to 1,000 rpm, by which point the engine has smoothed out completely, but I'm not sure how you adjust the idle speed on these pumps.

I was going to replace the other rear wheel bearing on the silver Rover, but one of the drum retaining screws had seized in place.  When I went to get my drill to drill it out I was reminded that I'd broken my only 5mm drill bit, and being NYD there was nowhere open locally to buy another one, so that got postponed.

Next job was to carry out a preliminary investigation into the feasibility of removing the nearside front bottom wishbone on the 205 and replacing the knackered bush.  The front wishbone bolt and the clamp bolt which holds the wishbone to the hub both came undone quite easily, but the rear bolt didn't want to know.  This is of course the most awkward one to get to - it's impossible to get a socket on the nut as the anti-roll bar is in the way, and there's limited movement on the bolt side as the rack is in the way.  I don't want to start unbolting drop links and track rod ends as chances are I'd never get them to do up again.  I can turn the bolt a bit with a ratchet and socket, but the nut turns with it - the only way I can see to hold the nut in place is with a 16mm ring spanner.  I know I had one of those as I bought it to get the front calipers off the Volvo years ago, but I can't find it anywhere now.  So that job didn't get any further either.

Then I found that my folding bike had gained a puncture in the front wheel, so I had to get that repaired as I need the bike for work in the morning.  I've just been out and put it all back together - took a torch with me but the moon was so bright I didn't need it, so put the bike together by moonlight, which was novel.

Jag decided to burst its top radiator hose today. I had just arrived at a restaurant for lunch when I discovered a river of coolant coming from under the car. On closer inspection, there was a nick in the hose that had burst, probably from when the bag was cut open when they were replaced 6 months ago.

Luckily, there was a spare top radiator hose in the boot when I bought it that was still there because there was clearly a reason the pervious owner kept it there, so I did the same. A 10 minute swap and water top up from a nearby tap and I was on my way.

So, the moral of the story: If you buy a car with parts in the boot, LEAVE THEM THERE!

Gave the pissshat a clean todaypost-4771-0-61469800-1514992907_thumb.jpg

Car has a few marks as you would expect of something 13 years old.

I also cleaned under the bonnet -

post-4771-0-17496100-1514992975_thumb.jpg

While I was brave I peeked under the scuttle and looked at the cabin filter. It looks original - in fact it was reminiscent of some of the clunges I have viewed in the dim and distant past.

It can wait until spring when it gets a service.

1988 merc 200E. Automatic- tick. Everything else- no tick?

Mercedes were masters of the base back in those days; plus I'm guessing your genned up about the crippling merc options lists from you prev merc ownership.

I now have everything I need to prep the Doloshite for it's return to the MOT station aside from:

1 - A numberplate bulb

2 - Any weather condition that isn't pissing rain or sub-0 temperatures.

Back to work tomorrow so will be back to working with limited time as well. Ugh.

I started dismantling the Freelander yesterday as I have finally accepted its never going to see the road again. The intercooler turns out to be an almost direct fit for the Ranger, replacing its useless, pishy wee intercooler which is less than a third the size of this one.

post-17837-0-78890800-1515010008_thumb.jpg

And more importantly freeing up the space behind the front bumper for me to fit the winch off the Freelander, which required me cutting down the mounting bracket I made and re-jiggering it to the Ranger. Its not as solid as the Freelander mount, but good enough for the stuff I do....ie hauling the odd fallen tree out the way and pulling myself out of muddy holes. Its still relatively discreet and not the whole thing hanging out the front bumper like most aftermarket winch bumpers I have seen for sale.

post-17837-0-35296200-1515010037_thumb.jpg

And with it all apart, I am guessing the reason for non-functioning air conditioning is the main heat exchanger which as can be seen in the picture has swollen and bent out of shape....almost certainly leaking somewhere there.

Arrived at work this morning to find one of my customers Alfa 159 sitting outside with a towing eye sticking out the front. It turns out he tried to drive through a rather deep puddle. I didn't hold out much hope as it is a diesel, but after removing the air filter and draining all the water out of the intercooler it only went and fired up. It's running a little rough but may live again which is just as well considering how much money he has spent on it over the last 2 years. In other news I got another replacement key for the Rolls today, the first one they managed to mix up the key number and cut the wrong one. This time they have cut the right code but used the wrong key blank so it still doesn't fit, fingers crossed that it will be third time lucky with the next one.