The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Shall do. I probably worded it badly, I just didn't want to stress the engine too much after a lack of use.

attachicon.gif20180401_115614.jpg

attachicon.gif20180401_115527.jpg

Quite pleased how tidy it seems. There are faults obviously, but nothing is perfect.

That looks great. One of the previous courtesy cars at the Citroen garage had a base LX model with the same interior. That was am M reg in purplish maroon though with the chevrons in the grill.

For the first time since September I gave the Abarth a proper wash, even tried useing proper wax to trat it out. (Came out not bad)

But I made too big a mix of wash as always, so decided to give the Lexbage a quick wash while I was at it...

attachicon.gifC5F8BA17-831A-4418-9FFE-597A9D2F7B97.jpeg

Even after washing that I still have some mix left over...so I ended up washing the widows of the house.

That's a late one isn't it. I didn't even know they were making them then. Newest one I can recall is a P reg.

Fitted a pair of period correct anti-theft window stickers to The Volvo today. I had a similar pair in my mark 3 Fiesta in the mid-1990s:

post-4796-0-49862800-1522609238_thumb.jpg

Pawnote: the car has never had an alarm fitted, but it does have a rudimentary (but effective) immobiliser. Perhaps I should buy a period correct 'easy fit' alarm to supplement the stickers?  ;)

My wife's 19 year old niece owns a 2004 Peugeot 206 1.1, it was her first car and she paid £1600 for it 18 months ago, on Wednesday she paid the local Citroen dealer £130 for a full service and then today she asked me to look at the power steering as it went heavy on the way to the inlaws this morning, it's dripping oil out of it quite heavy and the level is low (shes done about 20 miles since it was serviced) i then noticed the header tank looked a bit dark...

3743373d00eab1070778d28856703fd7.jpg

It's full of oil! It's all emulsified inside too! I'm guessing the head gasket has gone although there's no other signs at the moment, I'm shocked that the garage never picked this up on the service before she spunked £130 with them, they even said this tyre was ok still but needed changing soon.

8b012db7306d83ee77d8487574d7bd06.jpg

I've told her it's not worth fixing and she probably have to scrap it now, poor girl. I would have never recommended her to buy a 206, I've also told her to put a complaint in at the garage too.

Anyone fancy a project?

In my search for a new(er) car I have just seen a Bentley Turbo RT on an auction. 98 so last of the breed and a real hotrod with over 400HP and 750 lb/ft of torque.

It's currently sat at about a grand.

It's as rough as a badgers arse: drivers side rear wing rust all over, all the wheelarches are gone/going and not movable as it's burst brake pipes. It's a £25K -£30k car and low mileage ffs!

Apparently, the day before yesterday was Wirebrushing Friday.

Today was Kurusting Sunday

post-19003-0-45443600-1522623742_thumb.jpg

Today may turn out to be Grinding Monday and hopefully will also be followed by Tickling Tuesday

This is the o/s chassis rail on the camper, that I was told by my tame MOT man many months ago should get some attention, if I have any love for the vehicle. The pic doesn't show how badly the steel around the big round hole is delaminating. I may need to go out and buy some thicker sheet steel.

WCPGW?

Once again our man buying the Volvo confirms his intention to collect, saying he's booked train tickets and so on. Looks promising so far.

Oil and filter changed on the Prelude as it was an unknown quantity and could have been in there for 5000 miles/4 years. Nope, almost brand new filter on it - oh well, good to do anyway.

Observations:

• Old Man keeps telling me the alarm is playing silly buggers even with the isolator switch turned off (I have to wonder if he's just rotated the entire barrel) but it only ever does it when I've gone out for the night and left the car at home.
    Weird. Old Man's disconnected the alarm siren in my absence (fair enough, for once). However this has had the unintended side result of working remote central locking, which is nice.
  • one of the slider springs on the sunroof isn't retained by anything (missing/broken plastic parts) and can spring out and jam the sunroof. Luckily I know what's going on, might be an idea to just take the spring out as it functions perfectly without it, there's still one on the other side.
  • the light in the gear selector has an iffy connection, to such a degree that switching gears knocks it on and off. Contact cleaner job.
  • steering is shite with the collapsed shock. Was hoping to have the replacement shocks arrive and get them fitted by now as I ordered them on Tuesday and I got an email saying they'd be here by 4pm Weds, but the tracking info seems to have given up once they got to the delivery depot (which is in bloody Stockport), they didn't even get there until Thursday morning and I don't have a sodding clue where they are now - probably still in Stockport because they got there slightly too late in the day to go out again (6:30am). If they don't show up this Tuesday I'll be pissed off. APC Overnight if anyone's wondering.
    Overnight my arse, this is going to take 6 days at least.

Anyone fancy a project?

In my search for a new(er) car I have just seen a Bentley Turbo RT on an auction. 98 so last of the breed and a real hotrod with over 400HP and 750 lb/ft of torque.

It's as rough as a badgers arse: drivers side rear wing rust all over, all the wheelarches are gone/going and not movable as it's burst brake pipes. It's a £25K -£30k car and low mileage ffs!

Any details ad you know how I like the cheaper versions of Crewe's finest

Anyone fancy a project?

Tell us more, bwana!

The HBOL sez the auto box looks like this:

IMG_20180402_091711.jpg

That's not what it looks like from here:

IMG_20180331_160729.jpg

That could be a dipstick, but who knows!?

Looks alright to me?

The HBOL showing the torque converter to the right, but your engine bay pic shows it to the left. Engine bay pic of dipstick below the green sphere matches up with the dipstick on the top left of the HBOL.

Anyone fancy a project?

This one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BENTLEY-TURBO-RT-LWB-DIAMOND-BLUE-SILVER-46-000-MILES/323183229879?hash=item4b3f38bbb7:g:tukAAOSwF~JasXae

That's the fella! Up to £2K now but still, effin' cheap as chips boy...old yer 'and out!

I've seen enough of Panhard's posts to have the fear of god around a cheap Bentley/rolls.....and enough of yours to have the fear around an expensive cared for example!

6 days to go, watching out of interest....

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Effing VAG. Got the lock out and eventually freed up. The lock now works. Tried putting it back together and the overly complex mechanism that is supposed to make it easy to refit has messed up. So off comes the door card anyway.

6d46ee8b1c3c5afab5e19729f0bfb5bd.jpg

Now fixing the fixings that have been damaged by whoever was in here last to fix the window regulator.

I'm hating this car at the moment....

Put it all back together now. Door lock barrel works again. Which means I can use the spare key (that has lost sync) in the door lock, which had resynced it. So now two working remote keys. :)

As a bonus, putting the door card back on properly has fixed the door catching. It seemed like the door has dropped but actually was just the door card catching. Whoever did this window regulator last made a right balls up job of it.

I bet they didn't even look at it. Mechanic has hit their targets for the month and so not bothering doing the work requested. Happens all too often in many dealers unfortunately.

My Civic snapped it's driveshaft three days after being serviced by a Honda dealer! When I enquired about this I was informed it was impossible to check for and that "they all do that, sir".

A service is often just oil, filters, etc. Anything outside of that simply isn't covered/looked at unless you're taking thing to your local trusted friendly garage, hence why I service my own cars now...

Nope, not seized - but making some very strange noises. It'll all be on dashcam - stupid diversion, tricky junction across a dual carriageway, idiot driver who wouldn't accelerate leaving me to floor TAZ in order to avoid a collision with a speeding Merc coming up fast... and five miles down the road, mucho clonking and blue smoke. Oh dear oh dear. Some very pretty road rainbows behind but lots of the black stuff all over the bay... waiting on RAC recovery now. Should get to me by early September, if their call centre queue's anything to go by...

Well, fuck-a-roonie.

attachicon.gif20180402_134141.jpg

Total oil loss on the M2? Looks like it, boss.

Exit one otherwise sound Laguna.

Shit!

How did that happen?

I once serviced one of those and somehow stupidly left the oil filler cap off! Took it for a test drive afterwards and got back to find the stench of burning oil and mess everywhere. Luckily I didn’t do any damage but the mess under the bonnet took some cleaning up.

Any chance of a used engine? Be a shame to see another early Laguna go if not.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/02/queens-youngest-grandchild-seen-driving-family-land-rover-windsor/

He’s been practising for months. Does a circuit of the park here at about 7.30 each morning sitting on Sophie’s lap. That’s their disco and I’m surprised the reg is shown for security reasons. Yellow badge must be a police security tag.

He’s just missed me on the bike a couple of times! Seems a polite young man when we’ve talked.