Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Stupid Question Amnesty

• Please log in to reply
17263 replies to this topic

#16891 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 6,801 posts
  • 54 thanks

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

This seems highly unfair to me, twice I've had parked cars crashed into, making me a higher risk? Boils my piss.

I'm sure they ask about accidents claims and convictions?

Where insurance is concerned its all about statistics, fairness and actual likekyhood doesn't come into it.

#16892 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 4,190 posts
  • 55 thanks

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

Where insurance is concerned its all about statistics profit, fairness and actual likekyhood doesn't come into it.

Edited for accuracy ;)
  • Eddie Honda and bunglebus like this

#16893 ONLINE   catsinthewelder

catsinthewelder

• Full Members
  • 3,167 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

God knows what the proper method was supposed to be as I looked everywhere for 1/4" square holes and other places to turn it.

Got there in the end by having an allen key ready to stick in the locking hole and with the car in gear prising the belt down with a big crowbar until I could get it in.  Then with it out of gear and tucked around all the pulleys except the crank I prised it onto the crank pulley while turning the engine over with a 22mm socket.

At this point I realised that I should have fixed the timing belt cover first.  Another hour or so's faffing around fixed that back in place and got air pipes and splashguards back in place, wheel on and back on the floor.  Started it with a jump and left it running for an hour and the battery appears to have survived.  I was convinced it was fucked when neither battery charger would revive it.

Washed it, parked it at the other yard and failed to fit a new air filter to the Astra.

• The Moog, somewhatfoolish and Hooli like this
96 Disastra Estate in Vulgalours hat purple
94 Peugeot 405 Estate
93 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

#16894 OFFLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

• Full Members
  • 148 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe A14

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:22 PM

Right, I give up... WTF is that bit called on the '80s motronic that a) lives under the dash, b )meters a deliberate air leak for the inj ECU and c) has a vacuum line direct to the inlet manifold? Wassit cooled eh?

1986 BMW 635CSi - Works but doesn't work

1998 BMW E36 318i Touring - Works

2001 Land Rover Discovery V8 - Works

#16895 ONLINE   Wack

Wack

• Full Members
  • 1,024 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:36 PM

New tyres have 8mm , scrap tyres have 1.6mm ,why aren't we driving on rubber roads , peeling strips of rubber off our kids when they walk to school ,if most cars get through a set of tyres in 2 years where does that 6.4mm of rubber go

2003 Range Rover HSE

2006 Mazda MX5 BBR200

2002 Maserati 4200 Cambiocorsa

2015 Mercedes B220 CDi 4Matic

2011 Ford Transit XLWB Dropside

#16896 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 6,311 posts
  • 50 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:41 PM

New tyres have 8mm , scrap tyres have 1.6mm ,why aren't we driving on rubber roads , peeling strips of rubber off our kids when they walk to school ,if most cars get through a set of tyres in 2 years where does that 6.4mm of rubber go

Mostly grounded up as dust and particulate matter. So pretty much on the roads and in the lungs of people around the area where they are driving.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#16897 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 18,945 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:44 PM

It just turns to dust

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#16898 ONLINE   bunglebus

bunglebus

Grumpy cnut

• Full Members
  • 901 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationHazzard County

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

b63b729c601d2a64019cb6c0deaba264--fat-fi

• uk_senator, purplebargeken and robinmasters like this

Plain spotter

#16899 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 7,875 posts
  • 76 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

statistics, and actual likekyhood

Are the same thing.

• Skizzer likes this

#16900 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 3,868 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

In this case it's not. One is the PHACT and the other is a figment of the insurance company's imagination.

#16901 OFFLINE   bramz7

bramz7

• Full Members
  • 1,048 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

Apologies for the stupid question....but:

My 205 has a really bad knocking sound from the nearside front when turning, which now seems to have turned into a knock when in a straight line too. Also the steering feels heavy when turning right. The CV boot has split, but it genuinely sounds like something is rattling about and/or loose and hitting the car. What could this be?

'91 Fiat Tipo DGT
'93 Rover 216 GSI
'94 Fiat Tempra S 1.9D
'94 Peugeot 205 Sceptre TD

#16902 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 6,801 posts
  • 54 thanks

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

Its on a shiny bit in the car park at the McDonalds local to me where local gents hang out spinning their Wanlis to impress the other children in attendance.
  • DeeJay likes this

#16903 OFFLINE   cort1977

cort1977

The Eric Bristow of Parts Darts

• Full Members
  • 1,191 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

What preparation do you need to do before repainting a panel?  Put a new wing on and need to paint to match*. 

Is it enough to sand the old clear coat off to create a key?  Do I need primer before new paint?

1974 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible - The Exxon Valdez

1970 Ford Cortina Estate - In a shed in Ireland

#16904 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 6,801 posts
  • 54 thanks

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

Yes, degrease it thoroughly though beforehand, flat it back then prime. Could be all sorts of shit on the wing like silicone that'll ruin your day.

Thanked by 1 Member:
cort1977

#16905 OFFLINE   cort1977

cort1977

The Eric Bristow of Parts Darts

• Full Members
  • 1,191 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

OK thanks.

So flat back with something like 100 grit, prime, 1200 grit and then colour coat?

1974 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible - The Exxon Valdez

1970 Ford Cortina Estate - In a shed in Ireland

#16906 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 4,273 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:56 PM

OK thanks.

So flat back with something like 100 grit, prime, 1200 grit and then colour coat?

Before adding paint, I wash with a cloth dipped in thinners.

I also paint front wings before they go near the car.

Thanked by 1 Member:
cort1977

#16907 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 5,468 posts
  • 31 thanks

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

Apologies for the stupid question....but:

My 205 has a really bad knocking sound from the nearside front when turning, which now seems to have turned into a knock when in a straight line too. Also the steering feels heavy when turning right. The CV boot has split, but it genuinely sounds like something is rattling about and/or loose and hitting the car. What could this be?

The CV joint surely
  • BenHar and Hooli like this
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

#16908 ONLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 18,945 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

If it’s a painted panel all you need to do is key it with a scotchbrite pad and clean it. 100 grit is way too heavy you’ll put scratches in the panel they’ll show up when you paint it.
You can buy panel prep wipes but I’ve used petrol . Thinners might be a bit heavy .

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

Thanked by 1 Member:
cort1977

#16909 ONLINE   robinmasters

robinmasters

• Full Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

In this case it's not. One is the PHACT and the other is a figment of the insurance company's imagination.

Statistics are 'fair', ie put in the same variables, get the same result. Common sense would allow DISCRIMATIONZ, which, even if they didn't actually happen-which would be unacceptable.

So it's based purely (auto-corrected to 'poorly', lol) on maths. Driver's who are X years old/drive vehicle Z/have had Y accidents cost £X.

It's done the fairest way it can be, and insurers actually make very little underwriting profit. Guess whose bonus had been based on underwriting profit for many years?
  • Skizzer and Hooli like this
I used to have a signature, but now I don't.

#16910 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 3,868 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

insurers actually make very little underwriting profit. Guess whose bonus had been based on underwriting profit for many years?

You'll know fine well then that a bonus based on the load of cash made wheeler-dealering in the period between taking the premiums in and paying the claims out is where it's at then.

#16911 OFFLINE   steveo3002

steveo3002

• Full Members
  • 715 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • Locationsaffron walden

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

any ideas on this folks

fitted a new kenwood headunit that has dab , got the unit in and FM worked great and i ran around a few days while messing about fitting the dab aerial, now the dab works great and zero FM 

confirmed the aerial is plugged in and all good ...even tried a spare aerial

its like ive switched it off somehow...any ideas , its got so many features its hard to get your head around 

dpx7000 dab if anyone cares lol

#16912 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 6,801 posts
  • 54 thanks

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:25 PM

400 grit, then some 1000 grit, prime, then 1200 over it. For a professional finish as they say, use compound on the primer for an extremely smooth finish before colour coating it. Don't bother though if it is clear over base, just 1200 grade the top coat prior to lacquer.
  • Exiled_Tat_Gatherer likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
cort1977

#16913 ONLINE   robinmasters

robinmasters

• Full Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

You'll know fine well then that a bonus based on the load of cash made wheeler-dealering in the period between taking the premiums in and paying the claims out is where it's at then.

True, but it doesn't matter how long they hold onto your cash, as long as money is constantly coming in and going out again. 

I used to have a signature, but now I don't.

#16914 OFFLINE   bramz7

bramz7

• Full Members
  • 1,048 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

The CV joint surely

Yeah probably is that. Coolant light came back on today after slinging nearly a litre in it 30 miles ago.
This car is the gift that keeps on giving.
'91 Fiat Tipo DGT
'93 Rover 216 GSI
'94 Fiat Tempra S 1.9D

#16915 OFFLINE   Anthony

Anthony

• Full Members
  • 171 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

Yeah probably is that. Coolant light came back on today after slinging nearly a litre in it 30 miles ago.
This car is the gift that keeps on giving.

Look on the bright side - at least the low coolant light works on yours, as they're mostly knackered these days (especially if yours has the black square-ish expansion tank)

Worth checking carefully for leaks (there's a lot of coolant pipework on them, some of which is difficult to see/check) and resolving, as whilst XUD's are hardy old things, in turbo form particularly they will suffer OMGHGF if run low on coolant. Excessively pressuring the cooling system is the usual giveaway as they'll usually still run well in the early stages of HGF.

I agree with the knackered CV diagnosis - the base model type joints used on the TD models aren't particularly long lasting at the best of times, and prolonged running with a split boot will have almost certainly killed it - they knock badly when they're dead. The CV isn't easily replaced, but it's the same driveshaft as used on the N/A diesel models so easily sourced.

PS. replace the diff seal as a matter of course when you replace the shaft as they're pretty notorious for leaking if reused.

#16916 OFFLINE   forddeliveryboy

forddeliveryboy

• Full Members
  • 8,426 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

Into your lungs, some of the particles are nano-sized so deep into the lung lining where the lungs can't deal with them, sometimes through into the bloodstream. Research is at early stages, but everything is pointing to nano particulates being much more toxic than those your lungs trap and get rid of. Modern diesels and petrols are creating these tiny particles, older ones much less so.

Otherwise, they lie around then are washed into rivers, lakes and the sea where they create havoc with fish and all the other living things we eat. Would you like a fish with cancer, Sir, or one which should be male which isn't? It's why those tiny plastic beads are being banned from cosmetic products, but obviously nothing's going to be done about vehicle tyres.

It's been shown that non-exhaust emissions (tyres, clutches, brakes) represent more than half of all road vehicle emissions and as exhausts grow ever cleaner within a decade are likely to be at around or over 80%.

Compared with by-products of fuel burning, tyre particulate emissions are bloody awful. And another reason Teslas are hugely polluting.
  • Lacquer Peel likes this

#16917 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 5,666 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

Right, I give up... WTF is that bit called on the '80s motronic that a) lives under the dash, b )meters a deliberate air leak for the inj ECU and c) has a vacuum line direct to the inlet manifold? Wassit cooled eh?

https://www.homemade...p-sensor-74732/

T-valve ?

TS
  • BoggyMires likes this

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_3f0da8b633_m.jpgSUCKS

#16918 ONLINE   bunglebus

bunglebus

Grumpy cnut

• Full Members
  • 901 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationHazzard County

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

On another note to do with non-fuel vehicle emissions, I would presumably get in trouble if I poured screenwash down a surface water drain, but yet that must be where it ultimately ends up?

Bit of an odd thought I know...

Plain spotter

#16919 ONLINE   bunglebus

bunglebus

Grumpy cnut

• Full Members
  • 901 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationHazzard County

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

any ideas on this folks

fitted a new kenwood headunit that has dab , got the unit in and FM worked great and i ran around a few days while messing about fitting the dab aerial, now the dab works great and zero FM 

confirmed the aerial is plugged in and all good ...even tried a spare aerial

its like ive switched it off somehow...any ideas , its got so many features its hard to get your head around 

dpx7000 dab if anyone cares lol

Is the FM aerial earthed properly? My FM reception is fairly crap with an aftermarket head unit and I can't figure it out either. DAB however is really good with a Pioneer aerial on a Pioneer head unit - but only after I made sure the copper tab was stuck to the bodywork to earth it.

Plain spotter

#16920 OFFLINE   bramz7

bramz7

• Full Members
  • 1,048 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

Look on the bright side - at least the low coolant light works on yours, as they're mostly knackered these days (especially if yours has the black square-ish expansion tank)

Worth checking carefully for leaks (there's a lot of coolant pipework on them, some of which is difficult to see/check) and resolving, as whilst XUD's are hardy old things, in turbo form particularly they will suffer OMGHGF if run low on coolant. Excessively pressuring the cooling system is the usual giveaway as they'll usually still run well in the early stages of HGF.

I agree with the knackered CV diagnosis - the base model type joints used on the TD models aren't particularly long lasting at the best of times, and prolonged running with a split boot will have almost certainly killed it - they knock badly when they're dead. The CV isn't easily replaced, but it's the same driveshaft as used on the N/A diesel models so easily sourced.

PS. replace the diff seal as a matter of course when you replace the shaft as they're pretty notorious for leaking if reused.

Thank you. My other halfs dad has some ramps so I will get it on those and have a look.

I might actually SORN it and make it a fixer upper as it's actually a really nice thing to drive, and a non ruined DTURBO YO 205 may be a rare thing one day.
'91 Fiat Tipo DGT
'93 Rover 216 GSI
'94 Fiat Tempra S 1.9D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users